Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory 2.0 Starship Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Larraq said:
All in all, I think I spent about 8 hours designing, re-designing, researching, and fine-tuning my Tank sub that I'm working on.

For the Corvette I've got? Jesus. Closer to 12+ hours. Even higher if you count the day I spent researching planets and species or the week I spent subbing species through the Codex. (To create a groundwork for my corvette. You'll see what I mean.)

That doesn't even come close to the amount of time getting put into the dev threads. For the past month (and probably a sizable portion of the next few weeks until I finish my Tank's dev thread) I've spent the vast majority of my days off writing, researching, or planning these threads.
Yeah. I'm sure you can understand how I don't want or expect anyone to spend that amount of time on one post here in this community, but I applaud you for doing so and look forward to your creations.

[member="Tefka"]

But it was a way of doing things that 2/3rds of people were happy with. Those 66% of people are more than enough for the others, who clearly don't want to bother with designing ships at all, to go to and ask for help. You end up with much higher-quality content and less arguments, because the system is precise and clearly defined. True, most of the time you might not look at the gun counts of every ship involved (though I do) but this way, if there is a dispute, you can go back to the information pages, all of which were well made because they were written by people who wanted to write them, and resolve the dispute with clear info on not just how powerful the ship is, but whether that guy really can disable your ship for a post because his ion cannons were really powerful, or whether his opening shots fired by his long-ranged weapons were powerful enough to do serious damage to you.

Melakoth Tyrin said:
[member="Tefka"]

But it was a way of doing things that 2/3rds of people were happy with. Those 66% of people are more than enough for the others, who clearly don't want to bother with designing ships at all, to go to and ask for help. You end up with much higher-quality content and less arguments, because the system is precise and clearly defined. True, most of the time you might not look at the gun counts of every ship involved (though I do) but this way, if there is a dispute, you can go back to the information pages, all of which were well made because they were written by people who wanted to write them, and resolve the dispute with clear info on not just how powerful the ship is, but whether that guy really can disable your ship for a post because his ion cannons were really powerful, or whether his opening shots fired by his long-ranged weapons were powerful enough to do serious damage to you.
If you spend your whole like eating Rice and one day someone asks you if you want to spend the rest of you life eating Ramon Noodles instead, 66% would probably say 'no thanks' as well.

Melakoth Tyrin said:
[member="Tefka"]

Most of the hard work by [member="Ayden Cater"] and [member="Mia Monroe"] can still be found in the new template. It was from their hard work that the new template was designed, after all. Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Since you're referencing the poll...

SWRP has a long history of holding polls for member's opinions. But we keep in mind that only the people who voted in the poll are being represented. Regardless of the results, the poll is a suggestion - and is not law - and Staff is not beholden to it's results.

We balance, tweak, and develop as we see fit.

Here's a wise quote that probably won't change your mind about it but I like it so here...

TAOLife-henry-Ford-if-i-had-asked-my-customer-what-they-wanted-they-would-have-said-a-faster-horse-henry-ford-quote-taolife.jpg

sabrina

[member="Tefka"] can you link me to what this power scale is, and do we have the gun options of before. As I did put effort into thinking about that, I weirdly liked it.

sabrina said:
[member="Tefka"] can you link me to what this power scale is, and do we have the gun options of before. As I did put effort into thinking about that, I weirdly liked it.
What you see is what you get, though there may be improvements upon it in the future.

The link to the Standardized Load Outs is in the template, at the end of the Armament section.

[member="Tefka"]

Oh, this makes me want to get into a debate about democracy and government transparency sooooooooo much...but I I digress, or at least, I WOULD be digressing. The car has now been rolled out and now people have a chance to see whether or not they actually knew what they wanted. So, to solve this dispute without further debate that won't change either of our minds, how about we just give people enough time to read the new rules and then put up a new poll asking the community whether, now they have seen the new systems and been exposed to the ideas that they had not considered when voting in the first poll, they prefer the new systems or the old?

But as for your first point, I have to disagree. Thirty people voted in that poll. Those people represent the portion of this community that cared about its outcome; it was there for plenty of time. Saying that the results of the poll only represent the people who got to vote in it undermines the whole concept of a poll--to make as many people happy as possible. It's possible that several people who care about this stuff didn't vote on the poll, but don't tell me that 33% of the people who would have said "yes" did not get to vote.

[member="Melakoth Tyrin"]

The number of currently active writers - not characters - resides at 1,253. To not be logged as inactive, you've had to log in to your writer account at least once in the past 60 days.

2.394%

Again, I reiterate that Staff is not beholden to the results of any poll. And if this were a democracy, I believe my term would be up soon.

sabrina

[member="Tefka"] Okay I am just going to admit, I am confused. (sorry in advance)

1: Where is this power scale, thing [member="Captain Larraq"] was on about

2: Is the old formula still in play

3: Where does this control f work as all I get is box open, which is part of my google chrom

1. Armament Rating. You can read about it in the Armament section in any of the Starship Templates in the Starships Forum in the Factory.

2. Yes. You can still utilize the old formula, but the old rules are no longer applicable.

3. CTRL + F is a universally accepted search function. Type a word in there and Chrome will take you to where it appears on the page you're on, if it appears at all.

sabrina said:
1: Where is this power scale, thing [member="Captain Larraq"] was on about

2: Is the old formula still in play
When making a starship submission you now have the option of specifically listing weapons exactly like you did with the 2.0 guide...

OR

You can simply use a 1-20 scale to explain the relative armament of your ship.

Let me... attempt to use some of my own ships as an example here.

Concordance-class Asteroid Mining Barge This would probably be in the 3 to 5 range... out of a maximum of 20. For Star Destroyer sized ships anyway.

Concordia-class Dreadnought This, without a doubt, is a 20/20 for Star Destroyer sized ships. The ship created by the OS (too lazy to look it up at the moment) is technically covered in the 'Destroyer' category now... So that would leave it at 20/20 for a Destroyer. But... considering its overall size... it's more like a 30/20 or worse.

Then again... when compared to a 3km ship, even my 20/20 Concordia would get bumped down to something like... 15/20?

Krayt-class Light Cruiser Maybe... 10/20 for the Frigate category? Though... Hanger capacity got drastically nerfed with the new guide.

Let's look at cruisers...

Type 2 Keldabe-class Battleship 18-20 out of 20.

Nexus-class Cruiser 12-16 out of 20

It's difficult because Tefka changed a lot of the size categories... But... *shrug* This is as close as my guess gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom