Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eureka moment

[member="Soryn Solimar"] We follow the Jedi Code and the three main pillars of Jedi life. We duke it out with Sith and other baddies, and help out people with various humanitarian efforts, pursue elightentement. We're pretty lax as it comes to enjoying free time and having romantic relations.

I mean, I'm just asking you to come check us out an have an IC interaction to determine if the SJO is the right fit for your character. We have Jedi characters with more black and white outlooks, and as a writer, it's fun dealing with the conflict that springs up from a difference in opinions about how Jedi should comport themselves.

If you must insist on writing only with a group of orthodox Jedi, then the Servants of Light may be your best bet right now. Probably the closet thing to the canon Jedi Order of Star Wars. Though I need to point out that extremist model was not ideal, and was one of the reasons for their downfall.

Lady Kay said:
[member="Soryn Solimar"]

I wonder what colour curious is? Guess I'll find out :p
I want to say blue with lots and lots of sparkles. Maybe even a little glitter.

Arisa Yune said:
[member="Soryn Solimar"] We follow the Jedi Code and the three main pillars of Jedi life. We duke it out with Sith and other baddies, and help out people with various humanitarian efforts, pursue elightentement. We're pretty lax as it comes to enjoying free time and having romantic relations.

I mean, I'm just asking you to come check us out an have an IC interaction to determine if the SJO is the right fit for your character. We have Jedi characters with more black and white outlooks, and as a writer, it's fun dealing with the conflict that springs up from a difference in opinions about how Jedi should comport themselves.

If you must insist on writing only with a group of orthodox Jedi, then the Servants of Light may be your best bet right now. Probably the closet thing to the canon Jedi Order of Star Wars. Though I need to point out that extremist model was not ideal, and was one of the reasons for their downfall.
See I am confused. Are Arisa and other members of the Silver Jedi not currently actively supporting known Sith in a Skirmish? It kind of contradicts your entire argument about what the Silver Jedi are. I mean the idea of an "Orthodox" Jedi is while misguided still understandable in the grand scheme of Chaos. As is the idea that there can be neutral Jedi, and Dark Jedi but the idea of a Traditional Jedi that believes in strict adherence to a code and it's encompassing tenets is some how "extremism leading to downfall" instead of just being a viable character concept.

It can be further argued that the fall of the Jedi Order was not due to perceived "extremism" but the idea of the subjective application of the code and it's tenets leading to morally and ethically questionable actions committed by Jedi under the idea of "evil done for the greater good". Ideas that have been repeatedly explored and applied by the former Galactic Republic, the Galactic Alliance, and even now still applied by the Silver Jedi.

[member="Soryn Solimar"]

Then let me help alleviate your confusion. The Silver Jedi Order is assisting the Dominion in repulsing an attack by the Sith Ascendency, who appear to be threatened by an opposing group of benign Sith who are willing to work with Jedi and other groups for the sake of the greater good. That, being stability and prosperity. The Jedi Code teaches us to show understanding, tolerance, and compassion to everyone, including Sith and Dark Siders. If these Sith aren't bothering anyone, and actually improving their community through peaceful means instead of conquest like TSA, then what's the issue? Jedi and Sith in canon have worked together before to tackle larger issues that threatened both their wellbeing, this isn't an alien concept without precedent. You also need to keep in context that most of these characters are war weary and are starting to see how petty their differences really are.

I think that the Jedi Code, as interpreted by the organization at the time, was much too restrictive and led to people cracking as result. Like Jedi weren't really taught to deal with their emotions in a healthy manner but to suppress them (there are psychological benefits to feelings we view as negative, like anger or envy). Jedi weren't allowed to form personal/romantic bonds, but in restricting them from doing so, they gradually fell out of touch with the people they were supposed to protect (as did the corrupt government of the Republic).

As I was reading your response, I had a hunch you may be a Sith writer, and lo and behold I was right. This is anecdotal, but I usually find writers most critical of Jedi tend to be Sith mains. From an IC perspective, it doesn't seem like Soryn actually has a good grasp of what it means to be a Jedi. From a writer's perspective, it seems like you're unwilling to allow him to have some actual character development and be willing to question his extremist viewpoints. So you may run into trouble meshing well with people if you're not open to change.

Soryn Solimar said:
Personality wise he is the strong silent type viewing debate as a waste of time. The code is law and the law is absolute.
Jedi don't deal in absolutes, my friend.

[member="Arisa Yune"]

You are incorrect on a number of things.

1. The TSA did not show up with the intention of attacking Dominion Sith. Their goal was to attempt to recruit Dominion Sith into TSA in an effort to free them from the shackles of Jedi rule as perceived by the TSA. Vengeance as an individual and not wholly representing Ascendency intentions went there to pick a fight. However Sith natures prevailed and it immediately devolved into an all out fight before TSA Sith could announce their collective intentions.

2. I am not a Sith main writer nor have I ever been. My Sith is just simply my most active character based on popularity. My main has always been a NFU and usually a ground combatant. To be more specific Vengeance being popular as he is not the first Sith I have written at Chaos.

3. The only thing I am critical of is the practice of writing a Jedi with the intention of doing the whole fall, redemption, fall, maybe second redemption arc. If you want to do dark side Chit write a Dark sider. The practice of Roller Coaster alignment is something I have never understood. The same to be said for the concept of doing evil for the greater good.

The same can be said of once again what I refer to as the contradiction of "combating the dark side" but only when it is convenient. The idea of Jedi supporting Sith because they are not hurting anyone today is a slippery slope.

As far as Soryn's inability and borderline refusal to see any gray area in the interpretation of the Jedi Code or it's application. I encourage you to provide an example of any Padawan who since birth has been taught a singular viewpoint that is capable of altruistic interpretation much less a Master level grasp on anything relating to what it means to be a Jedi based on any interpretation of what that is.

It is an intentional measure that gives a breath of human vulnerability to a character that could but may not change over time.

Soryn is based on a very simple concept. The belief that Jedi are and were always meant to be Guardians, Protectors, an advisers of the people. Not only from the dark side but their own self destructive tendencies. Not through conquest, not through active rule, and not through occupational control. The belief that in order to accomplish that goal requires an active approach reinforced by a conviction to see the goal accomplished proactively and not re-actively.

[member="Soryn Solimar"]

Soryn Solimar said:
1. The TSA did not show up with the intention of attacking Dominion Sith. Their goal was to attempt to recruit Dominion Sith into TSA in an effort to free them from the shackles of Jedi rule as perceived by the TSA. Vengeance as an individual and not wholly representing Ascendency intentions went there to pick a fight. However Sith natures prevailed and it immediately devolved into an all out fight before TSA Sith could announce their collective intentions.
If TSA had no intent of attacking the Dominion Sith, then why engage them in a skirmish thread quite literally with sabers blazing, instead of approaching them in a more amicable manner? I mean, from your opening post in the skirmish, you came ready to deal violence.

Vengeance said:
engeance chuckled. The concept of Sith mixing with Jedi amused him. While not something new to him considering a Jedi his equal was not something he tended to do. Sure they had their purpose. Some of them even had value. That value however existed as long as they had something to provide he wanted. These Dominion Sith seemed to have forgotten the difference between a tool and a equal. Today that would be corrected. Today he would remind them of the difference. He glanced over at Krest with a smile. "And the ones that will not submit? Please tell me eradication is an option." The Sith Lord made his way down the ramp. Not since he infiltrated the Alliance planet of Lothal had he approached a Temple not his own. He ignited his own saber the blade blue unlike the red of his companions. That however was no indication of his stance on Jedi vs Sith. He found amusement in killing Jedi with the same color blade they themselves carried. As a back up on his back a Tactical Fighting Blade rested in it's sheath. Vengeance always carried a back up. Not necessarily waiting on an answer he pressed forward towards them temple. He called out. "COME LITTLE GIZKAS..........................COME MEET YOUR DOOM................YOUR JEDI PROTECTORS CAN'T HELP YOU NOW."
From the Dominion and SJO's perspective, TSA came there with malicious intent, unapproving of how Dominion Sith was comporting themselves. People don't take too kindly to strangers rolling up on their front porch with weapons, so I'm not sure why you all wouldn't expect anything less than a hostile response in kind.

Soryn Solimar said:
2. I am not a Sith main writer nor have I ever been. My Sith is just simply my most active character based on popularity. My main has always been a NFU and usually a ground combatant. To be more specific Vengeance being popular as he is not the first Sith I have written at Chaos.
That sounds like you write as a Sith main then. I'm not saying that it's the ONLY main you have. When I say that, I'm meaning as opposed to a Jedi main.

Soryn Solimar said:
3. The only thing I am critical of is the practice of writing a Jedi with the intention of doing the whole fall, redemption, fall, maybe second redemption arc. If you want to do dark side Chit write a Dark sider. The practice of Roller Coaster alignment is something I have never understood. The same to be said for the concept of doing evil for the greater good.
No one is asking you to that. At the same time, I can't tell a Sith or Jedi writer not to flip flop all the time. It's just a chaos thing. Anyway, at most, all that would be asked of you, Jedi to Jedi, is so show more tolerance and to appreciate nuance. Within the SJO, 99% of the other characters you're going to encounter are LS or Neutral Jedi/FU. While we work with Dark Siders from time to time as allies and have some that live within our blob (e.g. Firemane/Tygarans), Dark Siders are not allowed to be part of the SJO, unless they are committed to changing to become neutral or LS.

Soryn Solimar said:
The same can be said of once again what I refer to as the contradiction of "combating the dark side" but only when it is convenient. The idea of Jedi supporting Sith because they are not hurting anyone today is a slippery slope.
Your slippery slope argument is a fallacy. If the Sith or anyone else does something despicable that warrants action, or represent an imminent threat, then action will be taken as required. Dominion Sith don't meet those criteria, being a low priority threat in comparison to the other groups around like TSA, who's members regularly assault locations in Silver Space and commit other crimes all across the galaxy. So again, what's the point in attacking the Dominion Sith as Jedi when they're doing anything to us, while we have other groups blasting down our front and back doors? The reality is that we can't fight everyone at once, hence prioritizing.

That said, it has been clearly established in writing that the SJO has reservations about assisting the Dominion, but know they're at least better than the hostile powers that surround them. Within the Dominion itself, there is also unease between the Jedi and Sith within. I imagine other LS groups face a similar conundrum working with Dark Siders.

Soryn Solimar said:
As far as Soryn's inability and borderline refusal to see any gray area in the interpretation of the Jedi Code or it's application. I encourage you to provide an example of any Padawan who since birth has been taught a singular viewpoint that is capable of altruistic interpretation much less a Master level grasp on anything relating to what it means to be a Jedi based on any interpretation of what that is.
My issue isn't with how Soryn starting out as an extremist. He wouldn't be the first on the board or for the SJO. My issue is that you as a writer seem to want to keep him as a static character. It's okay to stay true to your character while at least entertaining other viewpoints ICly. Just let it play out, the conflict could result in some interesting encounters. I'm still inviting you to come check out the Silver Jedi Order.

However, for a more orthodox group more in line your character's viewpoints, I'll again point you to the Servants of Light.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
[member="Soryn Solimar"]

Blue is my favourite colour. Sparkles and glitter? Even better.

Shall I get the tea prepared?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom