Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judah nearly choked on his caf when Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau decided she wanted to be funny and mention coming to blows with one Jedi Grand Master. Oh, she thought she was funny, a very subtle nod of what happened on Naboo. If anyone could pull off such a joke, it would be the Mistress of the Stars. Tit-for-tat considering his joke, he assumed.

"Look after his room and board? Makai just gave an entire speech about Joiol and this family compound, so it does appear I'll have the space. I've raised one and dealt with the teenage boy stage of life, so I suppose it would be wise to have him with me. If all goes well and the approvals come in, then yes, it looks like I will have a temporary roommate."

Apparently the boy liked metals and crafting, making Persephone a knife, so at least they would have a chance to relate on that end. It was unclear where Iko Vel Iko Vel would be interning with the company, but he assumed with Salacia or Arceneau Trade. Judging from the lovestruck puppy phase the two kids seemed to be in, keeping them at arms length was wise.

"So long as he doesn't punch me, I think we will be fine."

Sipping the caf Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau prepared for him, Makai watched the interaction between Judah and Danger, letting them hammer out some of the details. While he and Ellie may be in charge of Persie, this was a matter of business and it did require the stepping in due to all the companies involved. A delicate balance, and one they may be close to getting right.

"I can talk to Valery Noble Valery Noble .I don't think I'll get punched on sight like you would Dad."

Makai ribbed Rue gently with his elbow, sharing a glance with her as the younger Arceneau giggled at thought of Judah being punched yet again. At that time, Rue was still in her vat, but through the therapies of integrating her into the family, Makai had come home and told her the story of how Judah was knocked out with great animation. Ellie had frowned at his entire reproduction of the the story, but the little redhead had loved it, cementing their silly dynamic.

A grateful look from his father. Maybe he was coming around after all.

"Should be a smooth meeting. Not sure how territorial these Jedi get over the kids but...I mean, they send them off to war, so it can't be that much of an attachment. Besides, its just temporary assignment, I hope the Jedi look at it as a chance to expand his knowledge and education in addition to becoming a well-rounded young man."

A small pause.

"I'll have Iko with me during this meeting, explain Ellie's program, answer questions. I want to make sure we are as transparent as possible in this entire venture."

"Well, reckon we have a plan," Danger kept her internal musings that it was best that Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell does not chit chat with the Jedi Order. Instead she gave a curt nod to Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell and a smile to Myra.

"So does that mean Persie's boy toy is gonna live with us now?" Of course Rue was bound to interject. Persie flushed again but Myra reached over and ruffled the tiny redhead's hair.

"Iko is just going to take some time working with us and gaining some skills. By sheer proximity, that means he'll be hanging out with us a bit more over the summer and shadowing Makai's pa."

"Ohhh... okay. S'long as he don't like the terrible teams."

The commentary made everyone laugh, and a sort of relaxing, if slightly tense, calm surrounded them all. Danger had some event with the Trade Federation to go to, as did Myra and Makai. The question was, what was Judah going to do in the meantime with that?

What was he going to do in the meantime? Babysit, so to speak.

Makai had surprised Myra shortly after breakfast with a late birthday getaway to Selun, staying at the capital known as Moonstone. They departed after their tour of Erilnar, not returning to Huila Station.It wasn't too far from Centrality but a world of its own, coming out unscathed in the attacks, making it a glittering jewel of the system. Gone for only a handful of days, this put him in charge of Persephone and both companies.

According to Makai, Aina would only need him in a true emergency, or perhaps pressing question. Beyond that, he was free to work on Salacia. Plans were in the works for New Junkfort Station, some shipyard work on Scillal, and firming up their presence in the trade routes, plans to strategically place a few small refineries in Centrality and nearby, trying to cut down on the distance and time it took to transform raw salvage into finished product.

As for Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau , he wasn't quite sure what she was up to. Something with the Trade Federation, but he wasn't sure if Rue would be going with her or even what day she was leaving. Or if the Trade Queen was stuck alone with him for a few days, well, alone with him and the girls.Wide berth and all left such questions hanging in the balance.

Persephone was busy talking to her friend now, giving him a rundown of the days events and word of the internship. Judah was taking center stage at that, eyes squinting at his datapad, writing a small outline for the boy in advance. He hadn't done something like this ; well, with Makai, but that was different. This was a kid who was coming to learn and potentially leave or stay.

There was a lot in the balance. If things went well, Iko could be on the fast track at Salacia, and he could use another trusted leader for the company as he got older. If nothing came of it, well, then he had a chance to pass on a bit of knowledge and flex his salvaging skills again.

Needless to say, the trip for the event had gone in unexpected ways. However, Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell and Danger seemed to slip right into their roles with making nice and working each others companies up. At the end of the day, Danger managed to get some contracts regarding providing materials to several manufacturing facilities in the Tapani Sector, while also broadening distribution of Tapani goods to the rest of Expansion and Outer Rim. With the Alliance moving the Senate and their governing branch from Corsucant to Fondor, Danger knew that contingency plans would need to be reviewed for the Jewel of the Galaxy and the warehouses, planets, trade and fueling stations there.

Rue and Persie stayed at Huila Station with their Governess and EL-Three. Thirty-Seven had to be taken in for repairs in the wake of the events that occurred with the potential pirate hijacking of the public transport Persie had traveled in. A bounty for information on the Blue Star Pirates and where they typically roamed was put out so that Arceneau Trade ships and security could keep an eye out. The last thing they needed was for pirates to start taking advantage of the company's cargo transports with the onset of the Core wars.

This left Danger to travel back alone, and since Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell hitched a ride to Fondor, that would leave them the hours long trip to either ignore each other or make small talk.

Sitting on a plush acceleration chair, Danger slowly rocked her glass of whisky in her hand as she reviewed the holographic screen in front of her. She was frowning, brows drawn forward slightly. From the intel she received, odds were that things were going to get hot soon.

Good thing we decided to stay on Huila station to avoid the bulk of the chaos, Danger mused. This also meant that at the very least, the girls wouldn't have to deal head on with the dangers and terrors of war. Myra already had to suffer through the Black Hive Virus.

She didn't need the other two to end up having to face something similar.

The unfortunate reality of salvage meant one was literally profiting off destruction in most cases. With things going haywire in the Core, Judah kept having to push back operations further and further. This time it was falling back to the water world of Velusia, which wasn't an ideal location at the moment. Only one starport, barely any sizable land. For the most part operations continued on massive salvage intake vessels and he deployed his Sifter-Class to the region. An expensive purchase, Judah made sure that vessel stayed well away from the battles, only going into areas where all military activity had died down.

Opposed to spending time in Centrality at first, he was now seeing the appeal. It was quiet, out of the way, and there was a focus on keeping one's head down and working, on turning the area into something better. There was a normalcy being out there, an ability to focus on business and keep all the kids away from the horrors of conflict.

Glancing up from his own screen, Judah stopped typing, sitting across from her on the other acceleration chair. For the most part, there was silence between them. Not comfortable or uncomfortable, just something that was. They had slipped back into old roles fine enough, played the part during the event, did what was needed.

Now. Now he wasn't so sure, they were in some type of odd, gray area.

"Credit for your thoughts?"

Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau

Danger heard Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell 's query and feline green eyes would lift from her screen over towards the old Salvager's direction. Ah, so he decided to breach the silence? Curious, she thought to herself, a bit amused.

"Well, reckon my thoughts are a fair share more expensive than a credit," She joked, attempting to keep a measure of their previous banter. It was an olive branch at least.

"Sure you can pay up?" she added, shoulders shaking a bit as she brought her glass up to take another sip of her drink. The Arceneau matriarch took a moment to study Judah as their eyes met, oceanic blue on emerald fire green. He had the ability to shelter his thoughts and keep t things to himself, so odds were he wasn't showing as much as whatever was rocking through his brain.

So, what sort of conversation would this turn out to be? Who knew --- but Danger was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"I am not quite sure. I may have to liquidate assets in order to pay. Float me until we get back to Centrality?"

Judah waited, quiet for her to explain herself. Silence stretched between them until he realized Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau most ikely had zero idea what he was speaking upon. Probably should rectify that so they weren't sitting in silence staring at one another ; much in the same fashion as they were doing right now. Datapad was set down next to him,screen still open.

It was clear he wasn't expecting this to be a long conversation, but he had been wrong before.

"Oh, sorry. Why the frown?"

Well, that earned Dashiell a throaty chuckle, a brow arching up, "Liquidatin' assets? Doubt you need to do that with Salacia, Judah. Don't need Makai tellin' me I'm messin' with his inheritance after havin' him sign all the prenups."

A hand would slide across the holographic screen, dragging the display down until it was shut off. If Judah wanted to talk, they could swap war stories back and forth to his satisfaction.

"Hmm... lots of traffic in the Core Worlds. It is an intricate dance with several large companies and guilds out there, especially in the wake and forthcomin' altercations between those of the Dark Empire and the Alliance. Kaine updated me on a few items as well as Viceroy Laborr... doesn't look good on all aspects. " she then gave a mild shrug and nod of her head to the right, "Reckon that does mean that does open up more business for you, right? Salvaging what is left behind."

It wasn't in judgment, just commentary. It was an honest business, one that did what had to be done.

"And more reconstruction and refugee assistance to rehome, evacuate, and provision."

Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell

"All the prenups? As in plural?"

Brow furrowed for a moment. He suspected one prenuptial agreement had to do with Arceneau Trade itself and the second perhaps was for the marriage. It wasn't Judah's business necessarily. Makai was adult and from what he had heard, details had been hammered out between himself and Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau once the engagement was announced to the family.

"I doubt he would say such a thing. He's got a substantial trust fund I grew from when he was born until he graduated university. Its his now, just a safety net in case I kicked the bucket while he was young. Makai shouldn't want for anything, plus he has his own mining company now that seems to be doing well. Which is great to see."

A small nod of his head at the mention of conflict in the Core. Judah had been watching it carefully, even while staying on Saleucami and on sabbatical. He was concerned about the overall impact it would have on the 'verse as a whole. He expected inflation to skyrocket, there was an agricultural circuit in the area, if supply chains were disrupted, the impact was going to have a ripple effect. Moving around was already difficult in the area.

"Yes, we will be busy. All hands on deck for sure."

Refugees would be another issue. With all their work in Centrality, Judah figured some may be swayed to move out in this direction, even with Empire of the Lost encroaching. At least planets weren't being glassed like Tion, there was relative safety for the moment.

"E.V.E will be busy. The scale of this is beyond comprehension just due to population density." Judah paused. "Iko doesn't know it, but he chose an excellent time to join us....if push comes to shove, the girls and Iko might need to hide on the Farm. We don't need them caught up in this. Yes, Iko is to be learning, but this is not the time for a teenage boy in a dangerous area, especially one linked to the Jedi."

Danger made herself comfortable on her chair by settling back, one shapely right leg crossing over her right. She kept lightly swirling the whiskey in her hand, musing at Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell 's commentary. When he got to the boy, Iko Vel Iko Vel , an auburn brow perked.

"Speakin' of the boy, what do you make of him?" She asked him, curious about his unfiltered thoughts now that the children weren't around to give him the evil eye and Judah didn't need to walk on eggshells.

Well, that is if he was keen enough to be so bold to talk about it.

"I'm not entirely sure yet to be honest."

To be fair, Judah liked Iko Vel Iko Vel and how eager he was to learn and get an opportunity to flex his knowledge. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him. It was more of the circumstances.

"This is...very different for him. If he lasts six months or a year, I think he will stick with us longer term. It's a big decision and while he says he didn't do it just for Persephone, I do have my reservations. He's already mentioned they won't be together forever, so when the inevitable happens, I hope he won't turn into Makai 2.0."

A small pause. That was a disaster. The kids had a much more intense relationship from the early stages though, where Persie and Iko just seemed close.

"It's not like he was born into this. It's not like Makai or Myra or the thousand grandkids we're apparently getting."

Judah allowed himself to chuckle at that

"So it's going to be harder. It's a huge learning curve. For all the credits we have...yes, it makes life easy, but also there are pressures most dont think of ; you and I know hundreds of thousands of sentients depend us for a paycheck and stability."

"Back on track.... Iko needs a strong father figure, it's clear he's been cast to the way side not only by his family but by the Jedi. I'm thankful myself and Makai to an extent can at least fill that gap. If we can build Iko up to believing he is smart and valued, I think he has a great potential to go far. I need someone else we can trust and he already has great perspective."

Judah sighed. He could see they would need a lot of work on that front. Time to see what Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau thought of the entire situation.

"What do you think about him?"

"Kids will be kids," Danger added her two credits worth, bringing the glass up to her lips to take another sip. Her eyes would drift towards the rest the living space, taking in the warm colors and comfortable furniture. There were a few knicks knacks here and there, mainly items such as interesting art pieces and the like that would provoke some conversation. Anything more intimate was kept in her cabin such as holopictures and the like.

"Emotions ebb and flow like the dunes in the Western Sea," much like her own childhood crush that turned bitter and sour. "Makai and Myra are the exception -- not the rule."

"I don't know the boy well enough, but background checks out. Either way, the time with you should forge him with some skills and hopefully instill somethin' that will make him a bit more of a man of worth like Makai. Reckon you did it once, you can do it again."

A faint smile would crest her lips as she returned attention back to Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell . "Well, reckon time will tell before I can give you more of my thoughts on him."

"No, I agree. I meant more Iko shouldn't turn out sulking and hiding in the backwaters due to heartbreak."

It would take some time to see how Iko Vel Iko Vel would shake out. He wasn't completely concerned, he was young and malleable enough to work with and bring up to speed. Even if he chose to leave in a year, Judah was hoping to at least get the boy more on the correct path. He was surprised to find the teenager didn't have a one-on-one teacher, more just lumped in a group. Clearly he hadn't been given enough time to shine.

"Perhaps I can do it again. Perhaps not. I'll be sure to take your observations of him into account once he is more integrated into what we're doing."

Judah paused. Since they were on the subject and didn't have prying ears, he continued with his own question.

"And your thoughts on Persephone? How is she taking to the family? How are the kids handling her?"

"No, I agree. I meant more Iko shouldn't turn out sulking and hiding in the backwaters due to heartbreak."

Danger did something she told herself she wouldn’t do. Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell wanted things to not get personal. Danger finally understood that. Perhaps in the strain of the back to back meetings, Judah’s midlife crisis, the girls, the wedding preparations, and now this thing with Persephone, something was bound to slip.

Like the husky murmur that followed Judah commenting that Iko shouldn’t turn out sulking and hiding in the backwaters due to heartbreak.

“Like you do?” Danger caught herself just after she said it, emerald fire eyes widening for a moment before she brought her free hand up to massage the bridge of her nose.

“Pardon. Reckon I’m a mite bit more tired than I thought I was,”
doing her best to deflect and continue the conversation on the subjects he asked.

“I’m sure you’ll do fine,” adding quickly after, “ Persies doin’ well as any teen could be. It helps she has a passion for fashion so that keeps her occupied and can be used as a reinforcement or goal to get her to be in line. Still pushing’ boundaries but all kids do that. At least it appears she ain’t think in’ she’s gonna be dropped off somewhere out of the blue now. “

"That's good."

Judah blew out a small breath he had been holding. The words stung and it was taking a lot of effort not to acknowledge them. In the end though, he realized it didn't matter. Damage had been done and he doubted any of his personal relationships would be the same after his little outburst months ago. Now he was back to playing his part ; cool, calm, collected, with patience for miles. It meant a lot more awkward pauses and silence as he had to triple-check mentally what he was about to say at all times.

Filtering out and distilling down. It was annoying and certainly didn't feel like himself.

"I've taken enough of your time. Thanks for answering my questions."

Instincts must have been right not to close down his datapad. Picking the electronic device back up, eyes left hers and focused back on the screen. Even if he had nothing to do, it was probably wise to lose himself back in his own world. Hand ran through shaggy hair, deciding it was best to try to dig out of his holomail box, there were still quite a messages unread, although he was wondering at this point if it was even important to go through them.

Still, it would keep him from trying to break the silence again. He didn't need another argument on his hands.

Then tension rose like the tides of Mon Cal. Danger gave a heavy sigh, setting down her drink on the end table with a soft audible click.

Should have known when to keep my mouth shut.

“I’m sorry Judah, that was inexcusable of me. Ain’t for me to make commentary regarding te choices you make in your life or how you do them. I promise I’ll refrain from doing so in the future.”

No sense in rubbing salt on whatever would the old salvager had or making things worse between them because of the kids or due to their long term friendship.

Just keep it simple. No need to make it complicated.

Following his example, Danger also began to turn to her datapad. Bringing up the holo screen of her analytics was just another but visible veil between them.

Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell

Judah looked over the top of his datapad once Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau had finished making an apology about her words. Did he respond? Probably best to. Silence would just make it seem like he was ignoring her and that would turn the situation from bad to worse. He didn't want more issues on his hands, he couldn't handle much more.

"No need to apologize. You're free to make any comment you desire. Friends make commentary on the other's life choices and decisions all the time. Comes with the territory. Feel free not to censor yourself on my account."

He was already doing enough censoring for the both of them at this point.

"No need to apologize. You're free to make any comment you desire. Friends make commentary on the other's life choices and decisions all the time. Comes with the territory. Feel free not to censor yourself on my account."

Fingersnails would fan on the side table in a muted click,click, click. Brows gave a subtle arch, and Danger gave a few slow blinks as if trying to process what Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell said.

Free to many any comment I desired? Friends make commentary on each other's life choices and decisions all the time. Oh sure, Judah was as mad as a wet Nexu in a bag when it came to when he thought Danger was doing wrong by Myra by looking for eligible suitors, but whenever she'd ask or inquire about his personal life? He'd clam up tighter than a Black Sun smuggler, knowing that snitches get stitches.

Taking the glass of whiskey back, Danger took another sip, giving a cant and roll of her shoulder as if to say... I doubt it.

"If that's so, you've made a point of mentionin' in the past that any commentary on your life was not a line to be crossed, so color me surprised to hear that is different." It wasn't said with any intent at ill will, just basic observation, her husky intone of her observations rolling off the Queen of Trade's tongue like sweet wine.

"You are correct."

He had purposely put boundaries in place for several reasons. Most that had probably made sense to himself and himself only, but for better or worse they were there. That often meant refraining from inquiring about his personal life and dealings. Did he have anything to hide? Absolutely not. However, he hated being under the microscope for his life's decisions, feeling as if he was backed into a corner.

Did anyone know this? Of course not.

"What was the point of going away if I didn't come back different? So..."
He took a deep breath. "You're free to ask or make whatever personal commentary you so desire."

That was going to take some getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom