Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Establishing Education

Ylva Alfrún

"Wolf Who Possess Hidden Knowledge"
Ylva drew the robe over her shoulders and secured it with a fine, silver broach, then secured her electrum hilted lightsaber to the wide belt around her waist. She slipped her datapad into a pocket in her robes, which were patterned to denote her standing as an educator and librarian, then exited her chambers and made her way to the turbolift that would take her to the audience hall where the new class of students awaited her.
The doors of the lift dinged open and she stepped out onto the lobby floor of the newly establishes Jedi Education Center. The large lobby was host to a series of administrative and utility rooms, but housed a large audience chamber where the new class of students awaited her. The room was large and circular, amphitheater-style in its design. Ylva stepped through the doors as they slid open and glanced up at the seats filling the audience hall, making her way to the large desk that sat at the center. The students waited in silence, looking down at datapads reading the latest news or feeds on social media programs. Some where playing games, others were introducing themselves to the others.
"Attention, please." Ylva called in a firm, light voice. To the students, she would appear an old woman, bent and weighed by her years. She was indeed old, pushing into her nineties, but remained fairly spry. Middle-age suited her, it seemed.
"I am Ylva Alfrún, a Master of education here at the Academy." Ylva keyed open her datapad and swiped a dossier of herself onto the holoprojector installed in the desk where she stood. It listed a plethora of details of her life, allowing the students to review it and get to know her somewhat. "I was educated initially in Nursing on Alderaan, and hold various other degrees and certificates in Education, Engineering, Philosophy and Economics. I have trained several Jedi throughout my time to Masterhood, and look forward to educating you all as well."
Ylva looked around the room and took off her robe, slinging over the chair at the desk before walking around the room. She clasped her knobby-knuckled hands together and continued her introduction. "Your class is of a special kind. You each hold informal or trade-oriented educations, rather than university-style degrees. This may be seen by some as a detriment to your learning, but I disagree. Your cohort was gathered specifically because of the real world experience you each hold in the various trades and occupations you have held throughout your lives. Age was less of a factor here, but none of you are young, to be sure. Throughout the course of your learning, you will revisit elements of primary education, and we will school you in a plethora of fields to round out your basis of knowledge. At the end of our initial semester, we will identify specific strengths from each of you and turn these into the foci of your education. Upon completing your first year, you will be matched with Jedi Knights and Masters to further hone your education. The difference between your cohort and the rest of the Academy's students is you have all been selected to move on to training as Jedi. Typically, students here are provided a basic education with an eventual focus of study in university, and are given the choice to join the Jedi Order upon completion. You, however, will become Jedi, that's why you are here. Your foci will shift and evolve as you move through your education, but these foci will center around your participation within the Order as Jedi Knights, and eventually Masters."
Ylva moved about the room and called on students to introduce themselves. This was a diverse crowd, filled with beings from all over Republic space, and some from without. Ylva asked questions here and there, intent on getting to know her students well.

To any wishing to involve themselves in this Academy thread, check in here to mark your activity and involvement: Force Enclave Check In
Please read over Ylva's preliminary post to familiarize yourself with what to expect of the Academy under her instruction. Join in as you wish, and PM me if you have any questions. And as always, have fun!

Progflaw99

Bryn'jarr surveyed the room, his eyes tracing along the exterior of the room. It was a very circular room, it reminded him of Iridonia and some of the large cylinders they'd fabricated for a Geonosian industrial manufacturer. From where he was seated he could see most of the auditorium and a singular desk in the front of the room. Other people stood, talking to each other, some engrossed in data pads.

He stood slowly, stretching his legs. The travel here had been long, and not particularly comfortable for him. Bryn'jarr stood about 5'11'', his heavy clothing clean but visibly worn. Small horns circled the crown of his skull, a distinct indicator of his Zabrak heritage, light tattoos traced vertically across his face, normal for Iridonians of his age. He began sizing up the others in the room. Most looked like working people, none of them appeared overly concerned with their appearance, at least not as far as clothing went, the plain colors suggesting they weren't upper class citizens.

A movement in his peripheral vision caught his eye. An elderly lady had entered the auditorium and was walking towards the desk. Bryn took a seat, his eyes following the woman as she spoke. As the holoprojector burst into life he was intrigued. Bryn took a moment to read while listening, as he saw the list her accomplishments, he cracked a smile. This woman was very well educated, he resume quite impressive. He'd never been one for the confines of a classroom, he preferred to learn by immersion, by application rather than theory. He couldn't deny this woman's experiences though, and the list of those was long.

He listened as she spoke, her voice hinting at a hidden strength beneath her brittle appearance. He once again looked around the room, guessing at some of the other pupil's backgrounds. As the woman started to wrap up her brief address a few words stuck with him.

Ylva Alfrún said:
"...You, however, will become Jedi, that's why you are here. Your foci will shift and evolve as you move through your education, but these foci will center around your participation within the Order as Jedi Knights, and eventually Masters."

It was this statement that hung in the air as the woman moved away from the desk and started calling on students to introduce themselves. Soon it would be his turn. As the woman's eyes shifted to him, he stood, giving a slight bow in her direction before speaking.

"Hello, my name is Bryn'jarr Astaris, but I usually go by Bryn. I am 23 standard years old. I was born on Iridonia as you might suspect. I used to be a machinist, fabricating things out of all types of different metals. I also spent some time doing work in the factory repairing machinery."

He paused before continuing.

"I became aware of my force sensitivity at a fairly young age but I've not had much formal training, mostly what I can learn by experimenting and experiencing. I guess you could say I desire knowledge, which is primarily what ended me up here. I look forward to meeting all of you, and learning from one with so much experience."

He looked back to the older woman as he finished speaking. He stood there for a moment, curious if the woman had any questions for him before he took a seat.

Ylva Alfrún

Ylva nodded to Bryn'jarr as he concluded his introduction. The young Iridonian Zabrak mirrored the demographic of the rest of his cohort; a youthful professional with a handful of worldly experience upon which to build an education. It was a student-type Ylva saw often with ex-military students even on less militant-cultured worlds such as Alderaan. "Good, we are pleased to have you here, Astaris." Ylva said, moving on to the next student seated nearby. With a machinist's background, Ylva considered the Zabrak's future as a Jedi Battlemaster and craftsperson. The Jedi Order of the Republic functioned primarily at a sub-military capacity, which had, in Ylva's belief, led to their consistent losses against the Lords of the One Sith.
As the students concluded their introductions, Ylva returned to the desk at the center of the room. "It was a pleasure to get to know each of you, and I look forward to watching you develop throughout your time here at the Academy. Your course progression will be arduous, beginning this semester." Ylva keyed her datapad and the holoprection shimmered, replacing her Academy profile with the cohort's program schedule for the next two years. "Our focus this semester will be university basics; political studies on the various Jedi doctrines and beliefs, their historical significance, and the basics of our own Order's ideology as well as general philosophy. Keep in mind, you will find little doctrine here. This Order is focused on the academic, the scientific, the practical. I do not teach the Jedi Code, for the Code itself is a weak guideline which with to base a being's life philosophy upon. I will expose you to a variety of theories that you will evaluate and challenge. The majority if your graded coursework will take place in formalized, concept-based debate in seminar sessions. Keeping up on reading material is crucial to maintaining your standing throughout each course. In conjunction with your classes, you will be expected to adhere to a personalized physical training regimen, and a Lab course focused on theoretical Force application. While this Lab appears to be the most appealing and exciting of your courses, do not let your studies in other areas falter, or you will not be permitted to continue with the rest of your cohort. I have personally overseen the design of this program, and have endeavored to trim the curriculum of excess and inapplicable knowledge. I will not tolerate laziness. Ineptitude can be corrected, but an unfocused mind is your greatest enemy. You initial Force Lab will consist of meditative techniques to focus your mind and bolster your other studies. Next semester we will incorporate explorative techniques in the Force, and later move on to more combat-oriented training. Do not expect to see a lightsaber for some time; I understand it is the most exciting aspect of being a Jedi, but it is nothing compared to the power and wisdom you can draw from the Force itself."
Ylva paused long enough to let her words sink in, ensuring the rapt attention of the cohort before moving on. "That is all I have for you today, your necessary resources for tomorrow are listed on the cohort database. I will expect everyone to have completed the initial readings by tomorrow; they are in no way too dense for anyone to absorb in a lone cycle. I will remain here after class for a while in case any of you have questions about the material or the program itself. Thank you."

[member=Bryn'jarr Astaris]

Progflaw99

Bryn took his seat and proceeded to listen as the rest of the class continued to introduce themselves. There were a few he noted, that might be worth connecting with later on. As the introductions concluded, he listened intently, skimming the curriculum as it was displayed on the holoprojector. He cringed and forced a slight grin. It looked like a lot of book-work to him, he felt much more at home in the physical, where things were simple, action and reaction. He was committed however, he would do what it took, and of that he was sure. Bryn had never been one to quit or give up, even if it was evident he probably should.

As the woman spoke, he listened carefully. He was not concerned terribly about his fitness regimen, as that is where he knew he would excel. He had some reservations about reading but he was intrigued by the idea of concept-based debate. He'd always loved following logic strings and had been fairly adept at arguing a point. Again he was slightly concerned about theory, as he preferred application but he was confident he could excel.

Ultimately, Bryn was ready to start. It had been a long time since he had been truly challenged; this would be good for him. He closed his eyes briefly, opening his mind to the room. He could tell this group was strong. His heightened senses allowed him to seek out those of strength in the Force. He focused intently on several areas of the room however his force discipline was untrained and as such he was unable to discern much from anyone other than that they were all force sensitive. He opened his eyes and furled his brow slightly. He would have some learning to do, that much was clear.

His eyes fell once more on the woman as she paused. He paid attention to her closely, examining her. He hadn’t thought much of it before but he could tell she wasn’t just human. His mind wandered, searching for the information he knew would be there.

*Ep… Epi... Something…*

He couldn’t remember. He supposed it didn’t particularly matter. He removed a small data pad from his inner pocket and looked up the course information.

*Interesting*

As the woman finished speaking, the students began to gather their items and stand. As Bryn looked around he noticed a variety of frowns, smiles, and neutral facial expressions from fellow classmates. He observed as the majority of the class trickled out of the auditorium, headed to their quarters or any number of other places. A few students remained it appeared to ask questions of their new teacher, politely waiting their turns as students addressed Ylva. Most questions were oriented toward permissions, restrictions, where students could and couldn’t roam. There were a few students left in the room but Bryn took this opportunity to get up and walk to the main floor of the auditorium. He stood along the fringe, waiting his turn to ask questions. When it appeared that the student in front of him had finished asking questions, he approached Ylva.

“And which Title would you like us to address you by? Master? Ma’am?” He smiled at the woman, lightheartedly.

He bowed slightly as he addressed her. If she was to be their teacher for the next two years, it would be good to get to know what kind of a person she was.

“In your address, you mentioned that we will be working on meditative techniques. Is there a place here that we can go to do so on our own? In addition, are there any particular exercises that you would recommend?”

He awaited her response, continuing to smile. He looked directly into her eyes, he found direct eye contact could be very informative. It could tell you much about a person, even if their body language said otherwise. One had to be careful though, it was easy to misinterpret the true meaning of what someone’s eyes revealed.

Ylva Alfrún

Ylva patiently fielded even the most banal and obvious of questions, directing students first to their course syllabi, which provided an outline of the expectations for the program moving forward. The last student to step forward was one of the Zabrak, Bryn'Jarr Astaris. Ylva returned his bow politely with one of her own, listening carefully to the young man's line of inquiry. "Master Alfrún will do for now, Padawan Astaris," returning the student's smile. His questions were in regards to the meditative training and easily answered. "We will be meeting on scheduled lab days in the garden courtyards on the North campus. For the time being, I would prefer everyone conduct meditative training with the group during our scheduled labs. The program outlines a particular curriculum of meditative techniques that I wish to use as the baseline for your later Force-oriented lab work. Of course, you are free to use your own time for meditation once you have a foundation in the course. However, if you already practice meditative techniques independently, you are encouraged to continue doing so. For experienced meditators I would recommend any busy or occupied area of the Academy. A quiet and peaceful environment are most conducive for the ease of meditation, though learning to quiet your mind in the midst of distractions is an important skill to master, and will benefit you throughout the course of your later studies."

[member=Bryn'Jarr Astaris]

Progflaw99

Bryn listened intently as she spoke. He had a feeling about this woman. Not only was he impressed by her very storied resume, but her patience as well. He was eager to get started but he also had yet to settle into his quarters. The students had a few moments before their orientation to retrieve their personal belongings and deposit them on a large cart. They would have their quarters assigned as they toured the campus and could locate the room assignments through their datapads.

He smiled again politely as he nodded his head and gave another small bow.

"Thank you Master Alfrún. Your guidance is appreciated, have a wonderful evening."

Bryn turned, making his way towards the door. Time to find his bunk assignment. As he exited the auditorium he pulled out his datapad. He called up the room assignments. It looked like he would be bunking with another student. The name listed next to his was "Caelyn Anorath". He squinted. Sounded innocent enough.

His footsteps slowed as he approached the structure. It looked decent enough. Newer than most of the campus.

Bryn stepped inside, noticing his roommate was nowhere to be seen. He shrugged. As for him, he was beat, the travel had been tedious. He never had been one for space flight, something about not being on the ground had never sat well with him. He spent some time arranging and organizing his small living space before laying down in his rack. He closed his eyes, his mind busy with thoughts of the coming days, his future.

Taking a deep breath, he forced quiet upon his mind. The rampant thoughts began to fade, silence overtaking him as he drifted off to sleep. He needed rest, the training he was about to experience would be difficult and he would need all the strength he could gather.

Ylva Alfrún

Ylva thanked Astaris and watched the young man leave, then remained behind just long enough to gather her things and secure the room behind her. The cohort of students she had been assigned seemed to be fairly prepared for the long academic road they faced, a fact for which she was glad. Ylva personally would only be overseeing a portion of their courses, the rest left up to other instructors.
As she left the room behind and began the walk to her quarters, Ylva returned her mind to her current research, Sith philosophy and lore. She had completed much of her anthology on Sith works, but still had many months of research and writing to complete before her designs were ready. Each day she grew more and more distant from the Jedi path, which left a bitter taste in her mind, but otherwise incited no negative feelings. Ylva had watched the old Jedi Order abandon the Republic, something she herself did not intend to do. She merely wanted to offer an alternative to the doctrine of the Jedi Code, which she personally found to be lacking of a modern context. Espousing the two, Sith and Jedi, was Ylva's sole chance at reunification of the two great ideologues, and healing the Great Schism that had erupted between them so many thousands of years ago.

It did not take long for Ylva to reach her quarters, which were located in the staff wing of the Academy's administrative sector. After relieving herself of her possessions, she brewed a small cup of tea and sat down at her desk, then opened her latest series of notes on Sith philosophy. Currently, she was focused on the Sith concept of personal strength and empowerment, and doing what she could to draw linearities between it and the Jedi ideals of personal sacrifice for the sake of others. In each she saw merit, but in neither she saw moderation. The two enforced themselves as an irreconcilable dichotomy, something Ylva did not believe to be veritable. Other orders, throughout history, had sought to establish middle ground between the Jedi and the Sith. The Grey Order was a classic example of this. Their failure, however, rested in their sole focus on the application of the Force, which Ylva believed to be secondary to such philosophical and ideological pursuits. In her view, the focus of Force philosophy should rest in the interpersonal relationships between people, rather than the mystic energy field that provided their supernormal abilities. The use of the Force itself meant little if one's personal philosophy ignored the basic psychology that was the root of all sentient life.
Others placed blame on sentient species themselves, citing the enlightenment of the Aing Tii as something unique to their physiology and society. Ylva again strongly disagreed. She saw enlightenment as something not established by species, but by psychosocial development, and the examples of this were expressly clear in individuals throughout history. Grandmasters Yoda and Luke Skywalker were prime examples; two Jedi from vastly different species who's own life journeys led them to enlightenment and inner peace. It was this example Ylva was focused on replicating in herself.

Progflaw99

A pinprick of light formed in the silence. Several seconds passed, the small pinprick now taking a form. Hovering in the darkness was a sphere, perfect in its existence. Focusing on the sphere a motion could be sensed, slow at first but picking up speed. The sphere was spinning. As it spun the sphere began to wobble, a low hum accompanying it. A tension filled the air, building with each passing moment. The wobbling began to turn into a violent shaking. A surge of energy could be sensed, the tension releasing slightly, the spinning beginning to slow, the humming beginning to fade.

A violent surge of electrical energy shocked through the darkness. In a moment the sphere was spinning faster than it had before, a violent jarring creating a loud screech as it spun faster and shook harder. A deafening explosion could be heard, the once small sphere now shattering into a million searing pinpricks of light, heat scorching the air.

Bryn's eyes flicked open, a small shout of pain escaping his lips as he brought his hand to his forehead. The pain was still fresh, his skin warm to the touch. Master Alfrún was seated in front of the class, a small smirk hidden beneath the cowl of her hood. He grimaced slightly from where he sat, a small meditating stool in one of the courtyards in the Temple. Seated in the small courtyard were several students, their eyes locked on him. They were seated on small circular stools, soft but firm cushions atop and large enough for most species to sit cross legged comfortably.

Small beads of perspiration could be seen on the Padawan's forehead. Bryn'jarr furled his brow, his breathing slightly labored. He now understood why Master Alfrún had specified that their physical training regimen was not only important for staying in shape and being athletically fit, these mind games took their own kind of toll on the body. Bryn took a few deep breaths, slowing his heart rate, calming himself.

The group simultaneously looked over at Master Alfrún, she sat unmoved, silent. The students closed their eyes, a feeling as if space and time were reaching out to them and calling them back to order. Their thoughts drew inward once more, darkness filling their mind's eye. It started out this time as a sensation, a small ember of warmth from within. The heat was welcoming, warm but not hot. The heat radiated from a central point, evenly creating a slow pulsing sensation. As the pulsing became slow and methodical a slight chill began to creep inwards, icy tendrils sending shivers down Bryn's spine. The focus became the small point of heat. The icy feeling was held at bay for a few moments, the direction of its assault changing as it drove inwards and found heat and then retreated.

It was as if the students knew and understood what their goal was, a silent guide letting them feel their way to the goal. The tentacles of deep chill drove inward again and again, small stabs at the central point, never quite able to penetrate the center. Slowly the cold backed off, a moment of respite. The chill faded and a feeling of joy flowed through the group. They were all responsible for themselves at this point, it seemed as if they had all been able to repel the coldness. Their victory was short-lived. A sense of dread washed over the group as their all their warmth began to shift, their minds becoming aware of one another's embers. As they started to sense the others it was upon them, a shard of winter shot forward, seeming to batter on one particular Padawan's flame. For what seemed like a few minutes the others were aware but chose to maintain their own focus, ignoring the desperate fight on the edge of their perception. Slowly but surely the frigid tendril battered down the walls put up by the padawan until his flame flickered slightly. The nearest two consciousness' sprang forward at the last moment, pushing off the cold and providing a slight respite.

--

In the courtyard everyone was silent, the furled brows of several of the padawan the only indication that they might be doing anything other than meditating. One of the padawans could be seen breathing deeply, his lungs fighting harder than the rest for air. A pair of Jedi walked past, smiling as they saw the sweat on his brow, a silent acknowledgement between the two as they continued on past.

--

Now there were multiple padawans struggling to maintain their ember of warmth. It took them some time but eventually they had managed to collect themselves enough to move their consciousness' together to form a small ring of heat. Now they worked as a team, battling the mighty attacks of the darkness, the cool icy tendrils striking and stabbing against their wall. Two of the padawans had refused or been simply unable to maintain their embers and had faded, their consciousness now severed from the group. The rest had banded together and continued to push back. It was then that Bryn'jarr had an idea. It started out small, shaping the ember, spending more time focusing inward on his ember and empowering it. Eventually he found he could cause it to pulse, sending waves of warmth deep into the darkness. He waited for a moment when a tendril had struck directly in his direction. Shifting his consciousness, he pushed back and drove into the darkness. A small gust of wind could be felt as the tendril recoiled wildly for a fraction of a second. It pushed back at him again and he retreated back into the collective. The exercise continued for a few more minutes, a couple of the learners falling out of the collective as they weakened. Eventually just 4 remained, it was then that the darkness pulled back, the vision fading.

Slowly the padawans opened their eyes. They all knew which four had remained. Bryn felt their individual consciousness', he could tell Caelyn was one of them. The other two he hadn't spent much time getting to know and he made a mental note that that should change. He looked back at Master Alfrún as he began to wind down, focusing on breathing and relaxation techniques to balance himself.

The students sat patiently, awaiting the words of their teacher.

Ylva Alfrún

"You have..." Ylva croaked suddenly. She cleared her throat, it was dry from disuse and the concentration that the exercise had taken. She tried again. "You have experienced the fundamentals of tapas," she repeated, more smoothly this time. Opening her eyes, she looked out across the group, unfolding her legs and sitting forward. Her back was stiff and her legs tingled; her circulation was not what it had been in her youth. "Warmth, in the face of frigid cold. The technique produces heat that a Force User can utilize to retain warm in cold environments. It is a practical skill, and a simple one at that. At its root is the struggle between molecules. What you say in your mind's eye throughout the exercise were particles themselves. Some of you may have guessed at this already." Ylva opened her hands and rested them on her knees, stretching her back before continuing. She was stiff, and sore, but it would pass.
"When you focus your attention on the currents of the Force, you are deepening your sight of the universe to a level on which the Force flows. It's energy penetrates all life, but where it lies and operates is on a quantum mechanical level. These currents affect space-time directly, and it is these details that we see when we deepen our focus."
Ylva pointing in turn to the students that had fallen out of the exercise. "The old Jedi would tell your peers," Ylva nodded to the four who had remained, including Bryn'Jarr and Caelyn, "That they had failed you by not shifting their attention to meet your flagging strength." She shook her head solemnly. "This is false. It is your responsibility to endure, to remain strong, and contribute to the group effort, especially in the face of such darkness. We are each responsible for the part we play in Life, and those who are strong cannot yield to those who are weak." Ylva had channeled the darker currents of the Force in her own emotions, assailing her students with negative energies to test their resilience.
One of the other students, a Human female named Carin, shook her head. "That sounds like the Sith." She said abruptly. Carin was known for her blunt nature. Ylva looked at her and lifted an eyebrow. "Do you have a point?" She asked. Carin seemed taken aback, but redoubled her efforts. "The Sith prey on the weakness of others in order to strengthen themselves. They take advantage of weakness, and to do so is evil."
Ylva shook her head. "The Sith prize personal strength and achievement. They seek to free themselves of social expectation and values in order to pursue greater knowledge and power. This has nothing to do with the weak. Such strength can be used to help oneself, or to help others. There is not inherent evil in this."
Carin frowned, "But the Sith do not help others, they only help themselves. They are selfish."
Ylva nodded, "Indeed, the majority of Sith practitioners follow this evil path, but this is not inherent to the ideas upon which their practices are founded."
She looked out across the group, "This school is not designed to train you as Jedi, it is designed to train you in the myriad uses and applications of the Force, and the knowledge upon which we have of such things. One cannot have a balanced view of the Force if they do not open their minds to possibilities beyond their current frame of knowledge. Your are not responsible for supporting your peers as individuals. You are responsible for supporting the overall goal that your peers are seeking to attain. In this exercise, those of you that faded failed to remember this. You failed to support the group in the pursuit of withstanding the darkness. At times it is appropriate for you to lend strength to your peers, but not at the sacrifice of the overarching goal."

Carin's frown deepened to a scowl, Ylva would have to speak with her personally at some point. She wanted to ensure that the girl took this knowledge and applied it appropriately.
"Jedi...Sith...these things matter not." Ylva continued. "What matters is not the knowledge, but our analysis and application of such knowledge. One can use a blaster to kill another being, or to weigh down a piece of cloth. Nothing holds inherent value, even the teachings of the Sith. Keep this in mind as you pursue your individual studies and meditations. Do not sacrifice your time to one pursuit at the expense of others, or you are merely trading one failure for another." Ylva stood, her back creaking slightly. She stretched again and gestured for her students to stand. "You all have done well today. Those of you who faded are not failures, you are students. And now you have learned something very important. Keep this in mind as you assess yourselves, and be neither too harsh nor lenient in your critical self-analysis. I will expect a written reflection of this session posted by each of you before the end of the evening. I will review them tonight and offer my critiques in the morning. You are dismissed. I will see you tomorrow for Galactic Politics and History."

Progflaw99

The auditorium had been re-arranged slightly since their last class held in the amphitheater style space. In the center of the floor there stood two podiums, a small instructor's desk stood behind them. An elderly woman stood at the desk, awaiting the students arrival. A few students had already seated themselves, others could be heard in the hall outside.

Bryn'jarr followed by a few other students had entered the auditorium, a curt bow as he greeted Master Alfrún and found a seat. Today the syllabus had mentioned debate. It appeared today would be an exercise in logic and reasoning. Bryn wondered how it was going to work, they hadn't been assigned any positions, perhaps that was part of the exercise. If one could find a topic and debate any side of any argument, that would truly show an ability to reason, beyond the emotional constructs of morality.

He watched as other students filtered in, he secretly wondered if anyone would be late this time. Several weeks had passed and during that time, several students could be counted on to be late. That, or show up without having completed the training. They had dropped two students already for similar reasons.

Bryn had started getting to know his roommate, Caelyn. She was a studious young woman, constantly with her nose to her datapad. If there was an academic question that needed answering, chances were Caelyn not only knew the answer but had written about it at some point. In the realm of physical training she also proved to be a good sparring partner for Bryn, her fighting style a little unorthodox, which made Bryn adapt. Caelyn was from the planet Corellia originally, human. Her brown hair reached down to her shoulders when she didn't wear it up. She stood about 5' 9'', her attire of choice a brown tunic, deep brown athletic pants and a pair of what appeared to be leather, calf high boots. Her green eyes glowed like gems, especially when involved in academics.

Bryn and Caelyn often found themselves working together on group projects and would often talk to each other about their studies and how they felt about being here, learning everything they were about the force. They didn't talk much about where they had come from, at least not on Caelyn's end. She had conceded that she was born on Corellia but did not seem to want to talk about it. Bryn on the other hand spoke openly about his life prior to the academy, using it as a jumping point for his learning, applying all the lessons he'd learned there to his studies, drawing parallels that would help him grasp concepts.

The students had fallen into a regular rhythm between classes, physical conditioning, bookwork, and independent research. Bryn did his best to maintain a healthy balance between the aspects of his training but naturally for him, the physical conditioning portions were where his true passion was directed. In addition to the classwork he took it upon himself to start branching out when it came to food choices, as much as he could. When he completed his training here, there was no telling where he would go, where he might end up. It would do him good to experience a wide range of foods and cultures, it would make him a more well rounded being, of that he was sure.

In addition to his martial training, he began delving into history. With so many records available at his fingertips he found it hard not to wonder at many things in the Universe. When he wasn't training, he'd spent time reading, learning.

A cough could be heard as the last student shuffled in the door, hurriedly bowing as he passed Master Alfrún and scrambled into a seat. All eyes shifted to where their master stood, watching her intently. Bryn was excited to start, he caught a brief moment of eye contact with Caelyn who was seated across the room, smiling. He looked back to the podiums and awaited the words of Master Alfrún.

Ylva Alfrún

"Today we are going to discuss an issue of great import within Republic intersystem politics." Ylva began, seated at the desk in the center of the chamber. The students gathered, minus their pair of drop outs, waited in anticipation. "The object of today's lesson is logic-driven argumentation. I will present to you an issue, around which you will take sides. I trust all have read the materials made available over the weekend on the Database, you will need it in order to adequately participate. After I have presented the issue, you will be given twenty minutes to devise a preliminary thesis that expresses your position surrounding the issue. I will not provide prompts, you are responsible for crafting your own position. Afterward, we will identify opposing views, and you will be matched with the task of debating them in a public forum." Ylva gestured to the podium. "Our debate style is focused on the logical, not strictly the factual. Numbers and statistics will do you no good here, we are debating ideas."
Ylva stood, keying the holoprojector. An image of a Human woman appeared. She was light-skinned, with chocolate brown hair. "This is former Supreme Commander of the Republic Military, Ali Hadrix. Former Galactic Republic Intelligence Ministry operative and Director. Roughly six months ago, the United Clans of Mandalore launched an invasion force into the Roche system, on the edge of what was then Republic space. This force was sent in response to the seizure of private corporate assets by former Republic Prime Minister, Genevieve Lasedri during what is known as the Clone Coup. Along with this forced nationalisation of corporate entities, Lasedri publicly executed Imperial command staff and soldiers, and attempted to overthrow the Republic Senate."
Ylva switched the display, and Hadrix's profile was replaced with a compilation of data pertaining to the Roche Incident.
"During the resulting defense of Roche, Kol'k Oto, a Verpine government official, ordered for the depressurization of Nickel One's hangar bays that contained Mandalorian soldiers and vessels attempting to board the station. In the process, Mandalorian civilians, who were later identified as having assisted in the invasion effort, were killed. Also among the dead was Jedi Master Aaralyn Rekali, daughter of Mandalorian Clansman, Ember Rekali. The resulting act caused Jedi Order members present during the battle to ally with invaders in an attempt to bring the Republic's Supreme Commander Hadrix to arrest. Hadrix managed to escape as the battle devolved, and was later questioned by Republic government authorities. The events at Roche led to the Mandalorian Clans brokering a series of treaties with the Republic, using the threat of further invasion as leverage over the government. Hadrix's trial was one of the items on the agenda, though the Clans soon after broke the terms of the treaty and the Republic never filed charges after closing their own internal investigation of Hadrix's involvement. The official story is that the Supreme Commander was found to be uninvolved in the actions of Kol'k Oto and the Verpine station staff workers under his supervision. Oto was tried and sentenced by Verpine authorities and the Jedi Order, as a result of these events, recused themselves from the Republic."
Ylva completed her synopsis of the events at Roche, providing a reminder of the reading material she had given the week before. "The focus of today's issue is up to you. There are many within the Clans who wanted Hadrix turned over to Mandalorian authorities for reprimand, which meant death, and others who argued for her absolution. Other issues present are the Lasedri coup, Mandalorian aggression, and the Jedi Order's self-imposed exile. I leave the decision of your focus to you, the student. Are there any questions?"

Out of curiosity, Arisa had decided to sit a few a academy classes just to get a feel for things. The concept of the academy had been originally proposed by her friend and mentor, [member="Suravi Teigra"], as part of an experiment to see if Force Sensitives could be trained in a neutral environment free of proselytizing, then reintegrated into society. It was her belief that all Force Sensitives should be allowed to master their abilities without having to subscribe to any particular faith to do so. While a Jedi herself, Arisa was in agreement with that stance. The life of a Jedi wasn't for everyone, and people shouldn't be denied adequate training because of their refusal to accept it. Thought in another way, people were going to learn about the Force if they really wanted to, so they might as well learn about it in a controlled, positive environment to keep them from getting into trouble.

In the classes she had attended, she found the academy run much like a magnet school. There were some general scholastic courses alongside specialized courses that focused on Force Usage. Honestly, she didn't find the experience much more different than the one she had studying at the Jedi temple on Coruscant. One of the core objectives of the Jedi was the pursuit of knowledge, so Padawans usually received a well rounded education with access to the most comprehensive network of archives in the known galaxy. Many Jedi even taught the courses, a few she recalled as being her own instructors back in the day.

The class she currently attended dealt with history. Or more accurately, current events from about the past year. From the Clone Coup to the ousting of the last Supreme Commander. From this backdrop, they were supposed to debate, whatever they liked as related to the information presented.

"Would you mind going more in depth about the events of the Clone Coup? As we know it, what exactly were Lasedri's motivations in making her coup attempt?"

[member="Ylva Alfrún"] [member="Bryn'jarr Astaris"]

Ylva Alfrún

Ylva listened to Arisa's question, offering a concise response. "From what has been gathered of Lasedri's press conferences and personnel interviews, the general consensus is that the former Prime Minister saw corporate power within the Republic as a hazardous entity that needed to be controlled by the State, hence the nationalisation of private businesses. This appears to have stemmed from her feverish hate of the One Sith and the long, drawn out war the Republic has been engaged in for the last many years. Lasedri wanted to see the One Sith destroyed, and the creation of her secret clone army was designed to end the Sith threat once and for all. Nationalising corporations that wielded economic and political power would have allowed her to focus the private sector into a war machine solely in pursuit of this goal. The problem rested in her circumvention of the Senate, and expansive use of Executive Powers that undermined the Republic's democracy."
Ylva paused before continuing. "It is possible that Lasedri was privately anticipating a future of Mandalorian aggression; it is well known that she thought poorly of the Mandalorian clans for their involvement in the Republic-Sith War on behalf of the OS. While one can hardly condone the course of action she took, I personally can see the efficacy of her vision."

[member=Bryn'Jarr Astaris] | [member=Arisa Yune]

Progflaw99

Bryn'jarr listened intently. Word of the Clone Coup and some stirrings within the Republic had reached Iridonia but no one really seemed terribly concerned. The production facilities kept manufacturing, the shipyards and machine shops kept pumping out ships and parts. They hadn't paid it much attention at the time but Bryn had done his reading, maybe they should have. He wasn't sure how he felt about the ordeal. To him, what it sounded like, was that the Republic as part of Lasedri's coup attempt had lost a lot of power, and respect in the process. On the one hand, armed conflict pushed forward by the Mandalorians was only a natural response to the actions taken by the Republic, but to do so by assaulting the space station? Add onto that the fact that Kol'k Oto had intentionally spaced the bays with civilians inside... and a Jedi to boot, it was looking very one sided against the Republic. He supposed that's why the Jedi Order had recused themselves. It all made sense. He paused in thought for a moment.

Bryn listened intently, his eyes drifting towards where another student sat. She had asked for an elaboration of the Clone Coup, more specifically what Lasedri's motives were. As Master Alfrún replied, Bryn cocked his head slightly, narrowing his eyes. He understood the fear Lasedri had of Mandalorian agression. The Mando's were an aggressive people, known for their lust of war. That and they had some pretty prestigious production facilities. He too saw how Lasedri could have been anticipating Mandalorian aggression, but he struggled with the last bit.

Putting the means of production into the Republic's hands had been a gamble at best. Once could have surmised that it wouldn't have gone smoothly. He understood the threat of the One Sith, but the route which Lasedri took seemed wrong to him.

He furled his brow slightly, admitting to himself he did not have a true understanding of politics as they were. His mind constantly focused on the now, what was practical, what was right. His limited world experience, and the fact that he had come from a very hands on career didn't help his grasp on it any. As Master Alfrún said, he could see the thought process Lasedri allegedly had taken, but the entirety of it seemed off to him. There had to have been a better way to handle it than raising a secret army and initiating a coup. He stood before speaking.

"Could there not have been a better way to handle the One Sith? I understand there was a need for production, but could the Mandalorian corporations been much more beneficial outside of the control of the Republic?"

[SIZE=10.5pt]He didn't understand why Lasedri had chosen that particular option. Sure, the OS were a threat, but by seizing the means of production, an entire population had been alienated thus spurring aggression towards the Republic. [/SIZE]

[member="Ylva Alfrún"] [member="Arisa Yune"]​

Ylva Alfrún

Ylva saw Astaris stand out of the corner of her eye, turning to face him as he asked his question. It was one she'd heard many times over, and possessed a prepared answered. "Consider what a free market without allegiance to, or regulation from, a civilian government allows a corporate entity to do." She prompted, giving her students a moment of thought. When no one offered a reply, Ylva continued. "It allows them to contract to whomever they choose." Still, no one spoke. "Lasedri's seizure of the production base allowed her to ensure no corporation under Republic Administration control would produce for the One Sith, or the Mandalorians."
Looks of realization appeared on the faces of many of the students. Several looked down to their datatablets to take notes. "Until that point, many of these organizations produced weapons, equipment, starships, and supplies for the war machines of both the Sith and the Republic, perpetuating the war cycle. Corporations have done this throughout history, ensuring their continued solvency by metering out escalation between rival governments, guaranteeing business for themselves through war mongering. With this influence severed, the Republic might have stood a chance of eventually abolishing the One Sith. However, Lasedri's coup failed, and democracy survived...but so did the war."

[member=Bryn'Jarr Astaris] | [member=Arisa Yune]

Progflaw99

Bryn nodded at the master's response, doing a half bow.

"Thank you Master Alfrún"

He did see the point she was making here, however in his mind he still contemplated the answer she gave. There had to have been another way to gain their allegiance without seizing them outright. Perhaps he was being a little too idealistic, but he struggled with that, the end never justified the means. He wondered what it would have looked like had Lasedri's coup succeeded.

He took down a few notes in his data pad, adding a note to look into it more deeply later as well. Corporations had perpetuated the cycle of war, sure, but putting the means of production into the Republic's hands, and the fact that the coup did fail seemed to hurt the Republic overall. Regardless of where the cards fell, the Republic was weakened and the Jedi had abandoned them. He paused in thought a moment, wondering how he could become a Jedi when the Jedi Order had absconded from the Republic. It made sense though why the Republic had taken over training from the Order as they could not be relied upon.

Bryn'jarr bit down, his eyes narrowing in concentration as he continued to consider the event as a whole. If something like this were to be attempted again, if moves were to be made towards securing production facilities of the corporations responsible for fueling the war... they could not fail. It was as if a light had been switched on, the parts now fitting together, the situation becoming clear. To get rid of the One Sith... That is something that would have to happen, and by seizing corporations' assets not only furthered their goals, but it prevented corporations from selling to the One Sith. In a way, it was the only logical decision. He rested his head on his hand. It bothered him that he now saw the situation so clearly, it was so much easier to simply write off Lasedri as a criminal, but now that he saw the logic behind the coup... what did that mean?... He turned his attention back to the room, wondering if anyone else had questions, a small feeling at the back of his mind still questioning his feelings on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom