Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dream of the Sky

Only about a week had passed since Aren had been caught attempting to steal from the place she was now living in. Adrian had taken her in and offered her a future that didn't revolve all around being a thief. With his offer on the plate, she saw what her life could be and accepted it on the spot.

Now her companions had been retrieved and she had started to get settled in. Making herself a room that was large enough for her three droids and herself was not a problem. Now the time had come to start work and she had been requested to join her not quite captor in his office.

She had no doubt that if she attempted to escape (she did not want to), he would quickly have her recaptured and this time she didn't think she would remain alive. This single chance was being given to her and she wasn't going to waste it.

To say Aren was afraid or scared would be wrong. No doubt she was slightly nervous and did her best to hide this. She had made herself familiar with the layout of the building and moved confidently through the halls. There was a slight tic to her eye and that was the only sign of her being nervous.

Arriving at the closed door of his office, she went to raise her hand and knock, but the door opened silently in front of her. It was something she should have expected and shook her head slightly as she walked into the familiar office.

Her eyes travelled right away to that one odd piece of his collection and then to the man waiting for her.

"Good morning."

[member="Adrian Vandiir"]

A lot could change in a mere week. A week ago, he had certainly not expected to find himself teaching another anywhere in the foreseeable future... but the young Knight had always been an opportunist.

Already, he had explained to her some of the basics, but there was much to be done before her training could begin in earnest. For one, he had little knowledge of the strange art of Mechu-Deru, an in which she was particularly gifted. Then there was the matter of an initial test of some kind - a well-established tradition meant to weed out the weak and get a read on someone's capabilities, though he, of course, had no interest in actually placing his new apprentice in mortal danger. Such an atrociously wasteful practice, that.

Leaning back in his chair, fingers steepled, he waited for the woman to join him. Pragmatist that he was, he had every intention of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

As the door slid open as if by its own accord, he followed her wandering gaze with his, a knowing smile on his face. A mystery for another day, that, and one which he too would very much like to know the answer to.

"Ah, Aren, I trust you are satisfied with your quarters, now that you've had some time to acquaint yourself with them?" As he spoke, he made a sweeping gesture towards the table beneath his lofty position, as if to invite her to take a seat.

[member="Aren D'Shade"]

After that brief moment of attention on that device, Adrian had all of it from her. The past week had been interesting to her. As long as she stayed out of trouble, she had been given free run of his building. That was exactly what she had done, stay out of trouble that is. She had taken the time given to her to collect her companions and learn the lay out of the building in great detail. However, she was totally positive there were secret passages and they were kept out of sight. Not pushing any buttons or boundaries, Aren hadn't found any yet.

Once it was clear to him that he had her attention, Adrian ask if she was satisfied with her quarters.

Oh yes! They are great. There is enough room for me and my friends to all have spots of our own. You didn't meet them yet. But I have three droids and a porg. EL, Red, Sam and Skeeter.

She had created EL herself, Skeeter was a pet from her childhood and the other two droids she had picked up during some of her adventures. Other than Skeeter, the droids all had special uses to her and Aren wasn't afraid to use them if she needed to.

When he motioned for her to take a seat at the table she did. Not knowing where exactly to sit, she decided to take one close to Adrian but not next to him. She found herself at a loss for words after answering his question and sat quiet for a moment or two before staring at the table in front of her. Her eyes were unfocused while she was thinking and then she looked up at him with curiosity on her face that was clear to read.

What is the plan? I failed to accomplish what I came here to do, but a new door was opened for me. Instead of death, you've offered me a chance to improve my life and myself. Why?

The questions might have been answered before, but that was a week ago. They hadn't run across each other since and in that time some things might have changed. Hoping for the best, Aren waited on his answer.

"Glad to hear it; I'm sure your friends will prove to be quite delightful."

Truthfully, the Sorcerer could not care less about her "friends", if that was what she considered them. To him, it seemed downright ridiculous to consider a mere droid a friend, as if it was a person, but if that brought her joy, so be it. It was no more ridiculous than those who insisted on coddling the ignorant masses, after all.

Leaning forward ever so slightly, his sharp eyes observed her brief hesitation, the way she averted her eyes. Signs of respect, of fear, or of weakness? He would know soon enough.

Smile turning predatory, his eyes glittered with amusement. "Oh, I would never kill a good thief. A bad thief? Perhaps." Waving his hands dismissively, his wintry eyes met hers. "Of course, I would not invite a mere thief to join me here. Not then... and not today."

Allowing himself a brief silence, he smiled warmly. "You have potential. Quite a bit of it, if I'm not mistaken. While I don't subscribe to some of the Sith's more savage traditions, the road to power is never easy. Never without hurdles." Leaning towards her, eyes intense, a single question left his lips: "Tell me, Aren, do you have what it takes?"

[member="Aren D'Shade"]

Delightful or not, Aren liked her droid friends. Each one had their own personality and skills, just like an organic. Maybe if he met them, he would change his mind. Something she would have to make sure happened. He should at least meet EL, the droid she had pieced together. Her porg though was just a pet.

Her hesitation wasn't made out of fear, weakness or even really because she respected him. It truly was because she couldn't think of anything to say for that time. He answered her question in a way that made her comfortable and confident. Even though she had failed in accomplishing her planned theft, the fact she had been able to get in was a sign that she was good. It gave the young woman some confidence she had lacked and looked over at him.

She was far better than a common thief and that brought a half smile to her mouth as Adrian spoke. Listening to what he was saying, it was good he wasn't one of the more savage people around. A small blessing that she had wound up in his lap and not somebody else's. When he asked if she had what it would take, she could only hope her answer was correct.

Of course, I do. If I didn't I wouldn't have made it this far.

And her words were out, there was no going back now.

After holding her gaze for a long moment, as if to confirm her intentions, Adrian smiled in approval.

"And further still you shall go, in time. How far, and in what direction, is up to you and you alone." Eyes glimmering in amusement, he briefly paused. "After all, the Force shall set you free..."

In stark contrast to some others in his Order, those words left his lips without a hint of deception. Force-Sensitives, despite their superiority, could be utilised, but in the eyes of the Corellian Sorcerer they would never be a mere tool. They would always be worthy of true freedom, if only they had the will to seize it. Well, except the ones that had gravely slighted him. He had never been one to place philosophy before his own needs and desires, after all...

Leaning back in his chair, fingers steelping, he smiled dryly. "Of course, it's probably best to start at the basics. Your first true lesson, I think, shall be this: Power and Knowledge - and make no mistake, to those gifted in the Force Knowledge is quite literally Power - rarely comes cheap, and never for free."

Tone strangely amiable, he continued. "Often, it must be seized. Taken from those who would hoard it for themselves..." Eyes glittering with amusement, he gestured towards the young woman. "... those who would, for instance, conceal ancients texts on the esoteric practice of Mechu-Deru within a collection of mundane curiosities."

Little did she know just how serious this conversation really was. She actually smiled with Adrian as he said the Force would set her free. She already thought herself free and so far that had been true. Her technical mind went to the droids that she had set free with the Force. Not telling him the reason she also smiled, he might be able to figure it out. If he didn't that was fine and her vision was very small right now. Without any real training to have opened her eyes, all she could see was what she already knew.

The Force helped set me free, but I don't feel I am entirely free. I am not sure what holds me chained though.

She could explain it any further, but as she came under his sway, Aren was slowly getting more and more chained by him. This was not entirely a bad thing though and he would be able to help her gain power and she would help him in her own manner as well. The two of them were getting linked and she did not feel like this was wrong. Far from it, Aren felt her future was just starting with him.

He said some power must be taken and nothing was ever free. That was something she could understand. Her slicing ability had given her a reputation in certain circles and a name there. Aren did not do anything to keep that reputation in check and at times even flaunted her knowledge. Rarely did that backfire on her, but when it did, she was usually in really deep trouble. Normally she was able to take care of her issues and cover them, once in a while even that failed and she had to run or hide.

How does one not get caught taking power?

Her eyes travelled again to the odd device and she nodded. Maybe it did hold secrets that she could unlock. To her there was no maybe, she felt deep down that the item wasn't waiting for Adrian, but for her to unlock.

An attentive audience; altering the fates of entire lives by words alone. While the young Knight did not fully realise it himself, it was one of the core desires that drove him - the love of the crowd, the respect of his peers... the obedience of his lessers.

He could tell by her demeanour that she was coming along to his way of thinking, the right way of thinking. All she needed was a guiding hand - steady enough to give her what she needed, loose enough that she walk the path herself. That part was essential. A tool could be programmed, a commoner much the same, but a Sith had to be self-made.

"Still thinking like a thief, Aren?" Smirking briefly, he shrugged, visibly amused. "Not a bad starting point, actually. I have often found that the subtle hand is best, in these matters. The rampaging reaver might amass great power, but also many foes. An unproductive approach, if you ask me."

Spreading his arms, long fingers moving smoothly as if tugging at an invisible tapestry, subtle shades of blue and purple began to form and intermingle. "Of course, true power can only be found within - through one's connection to the force - and it has no other owner. I would argue that it must be seized nonetheless. The universe - the Force - tends towards entropy. The dissolution of all things. It is in selectively defying its will that we find ourself."

Chuckling wryly, he shook his head, strange energies dissipating as quickly as they had formed. "But enough philosophy, hmm? You have experience as a thief, but new doors are opening for you. New powers, new connections. How would you make best use of them, the old and the new?"

How am I thinking like a thief?

While it might be a starting point, she was growing past thinking like that all the time. It was still a part of her and giving it up totally would take time, some reprogramming of her mental state and the words Adrian said meant a lot to her. Her touch on records and technology was subtle and any mark she left was hard to notice.

Shaking her head, she knew she was not one to go on any sort of rampage on her own. Give her enough tools and those she might send in to do something, but she did not expect that to be a requirement.

I think I already have a few foes. Or rather the people I have worked with in the past have them. If that makes any sort of sense.

If that device had been distracting her at all, that was gone now. When Adrian started weaving with his hands, the colors drew her attention. An enwrapped young woman was mesmerized by his actions. His words melting into her mind and curiosity rose.

What exactly is the Force? My knowledge there is seriously lacking.

The topic from the Force and back to her. He pointed out again she had knowledge as a thief. That was not something she was going to dispute since she had been caught attempting to rob him. He mentioned new doors were opening with powers and connections. Without some sort of base training, Aren did not know how to get more powers. Then he asked how she would make the best use of things.

Before I can provide a good and solid answer, I feel I need to know more. Right now, all I can think about is amassing a huge army of droids under my control and keeping them as companions. Speaking of, did you want to meet my EL, Red and Sam?

Those were the names of her three droids that he had agreed to allow to stay with her.

Chuckling drily, Adrian couldn't help but smile. "Guilty by association? Believe me, I know; plenty of people want to kill Sith for being Sith, after all. Of course, the same thing can be said for Jedi, politicians, and indeed most groups with power." Eyes turning briefly glacial, he continued. "As for personal foes... I have often found that it is best to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. No reason to let hostilities fester unnecessarily, hmm?"

One of the advantages of being a Sith, that. Murder, bribery, political pressure, and even mental manipulation where all available to him. There was a reason he had almost no living enemies, that and his aversion to unnecessary risk.

Eyes gleaming, as if to demonstrate his pleasure with the current topic, he quickly responded. "The Force... is many things. What binds us all together, and what drives us apart. I prefer to think of it as a fabric of sorts, connecting everything and everyone in an intricate pattern unseen by most. Those of us who see it, feel it, can also twist it to suit our purpose. Impose our own will, our own desire, upon what is - despite what the superstitious would have you believe - ultimately an impersonal force with no purpose of its own." Flexing his right hand subconsciously, he smiled. "Of course, it is more than mere power, far greater than blasters or credits, but you can feel that already, can't you? When you tap into it, in your limited way? That connection will grow, in time, until it comes as naturally to you as breathing."

As the conversation turned to her own goals, he shrugged minutely, as if in acknowledgement. "Fair enough, though you should know, the Force is a skill unlike any other. It is already within you, the seed of greatness. Studying the technique of others will get you far, true, but the means of channelling it, the forms it takes, the very source of your power, is innately personal. Especially for the Sith, guided by our desires as we are. Perhaps you will find yourself leading a vast army, one day, or perhaps you will find yourself drawn towards subtler pursuits. Only time, and experience, will tell." Smiling warmly, he inclined his head. "Oh, and yes, I really should meet my other guests."

He couldn't have put it any better and Aren nodded. As of yet, she didn't think she had any personal foes, but that might have been because she was more of a shadow player and was always behind the screen of something. It was only when she wanted something physical, like droids, that she came out of that shell and revealed herself.

There was something odd she found about Adrian. His facial features changed from moment to moment. One second he was smiling and the next he looked ice cold. Then a heartbeat after that he would be chatting calmly and providing information. Once that happened, her musings turned to her paying attention.

If her face had taken on a look of thought, it came back into focus as she listened. A look of wonder might be on her face as he gave his lesson. She'd had a lesson long ago on the Force and ran from that person. This time, she was ready to face what was in front of her and took things in like a sponge.

She nodded when he asked his question and looked away just slightly. Taking a look inward, she sensed what was there, but couldn't touch what it was. Coming out of the inner perspective, she turned her attention back to what he was saying.

How do you suggest I begin? I've not it with any sort of control unless I'm working with electronics. That comes to me as naturally as breathing, as you put it.

When he agreed to meeting her companions, she smiled with true happiness and liked how warm he was looking as he spoke.

I told them to stay in my room. Do you want me to call them out or go visit them?

For a brief moment, he paused in thought, then smiled. "I believe I have just the idea to get you started... but first, let's go visit your friends."

Leading her out of the room, he began his impromptu lecture. "Let's take the scenic route, hmm? As we walk, I want you to reach out, to feel around you. At first, I want you to look for electronic surveillance - believe me, there's plenty - and similar measures. If you can, try to track people using any devices on their person."

Waiting for her to do as described - and answer any questions she might have - he led her through his apartment, then into different sections of the building. Apartment halls. Sterile hallways and busy offices. Sentients in sharp suits and sharper uniforms. Humans and Zabraks, Droids and cyborgs.

Eventually, the focus shifted. "You feel it, don't you? The awareness. I want you to focus on that, to try to push the boundaries. I'm well known, here. Are those we pass curious as to who you are? Can you feel their attention?"

That smile remained on her face when he said he wanted to visit her friends. As they walked, Aren listened to his request. Even though she had been a week in this building, there were some areas she couldn't get to on her own. He took her past some scientists and each of them had at least one dadapad on them.

When he said there were many surveillance devices, he wasn't lying. There were probably some she missed, but as soon as she sensed them, she pointed them out or just commented on where they were. Listening to what he was asking of her, it wasn't just to pick up on the electronics around them, but the organics as well.

Adrian wanted her to feel...what? For a time, she was silent after he told her to feel. Allowing the tentative connection she had on the Force to sort of guide her, Aren attempted to what he asked. At first, it was a pointless exercise, but as she touched the electronics the organics held, she could pick up on some of the emotions that touched the items.

Finally something hit her and she drew in a sharp breath. Any control she had at that moment slipped away from her and out of reach. When that something hit her, it was like a brick wall. She had been touching more and more as they walked, picking up on more of the emotions of those around them. One organic though produced nothing.

"What or who is that?"

Tipping her head in the direction of a being, she looked at Adrian with full curiosity written on her face.

As Aren went over the various security gadgets both hidden and apparent, only half of which he was personally familiar with, he felt a sense of smug satisfaction. He had little talent for her art - probably couldn't even duplicate the basic task she was currently focused on - but he knew the Force, and his suspicions had just been confirmed.

Not so different after all, she quickly transitioned to tracking people, if indirectly... then she looked at the wrong person.

"Very good, Aren. Keep this up, and it'll come quite naturally soon enough."

Knowing who she was talking about before he even turned, he chuckled lightly. The slender Zeltron, ever alert, was observing them through the corner of her eyes, though she remained focused on her current conversation with a crisply clad gentleman, his back turned, his attention suitable ensnared. Such incompetence.

"That would be Cara, a valued associate of mine. She handles security for me and has certain qualities to help her in that regard." Subtly directing his apprentice's attention to Cara's conversation partner, he calmly continued. "That man, by the way, is a spy - though not a very good one, I'd say. Tell me, how does he feel?"

She could have explained what each technological item did if he had asked. If the truth was known, this was easy for her. Something Aren did almost without thought. It was when Adrian asked her delve deeper that it took a bit more work. However, it really did not take her too long to start feeling some of the emotions of those people holding them. That stopped when she ran into Cara.

Her early and apparently easy progress pleased him and that made her feel good. When he answered her question as to who it was she had run into, she nodded. Whatever this woman was or possessed, it was something Aren could detect. She wasn't a droid or another one of those beings she had encountered when they first met.

Shaking her head, she had tried to reach out with the Force again to touch the man, however, it was still out of her touch. Since she didn't have full control over it or even touch it when she tried, there wasn't a way she felt she could right now.

"I can't tell. When I ran into Cara, it went away. It's still there, I just can't reach it at the moment. I'm sorry."

Not entirely wanting to give up, she kept trying and failing. When she didn't think about it, the ability came to easily. Just when she wanted to actively do it, then it didn't work.

Waiting patiently for her to make her attempt, he smiled and shook his head at her apology. "Ah, but now you know how, and all it should take is further practice. I'd advise you to give it your best, whenever you have the time." Warm eyes turning glacial as the human man noticed their presence with a startle, he raised his voice, abandoning any attempt at subtlety. "As for this incompetent little spy, why, I would say it is time for another lesson or two."

To his credit, the man was quick; within the blink of an eye, he burst into action... only to cry out in pain as a sickening crunch announced Cara's lightning-quick strike. Gazing at the bone jutting forth from the man's right leg and the copious amounts of blood spreading out beneath him, Adrian frowned in disapproval. "Cara, darling, you know how I feel about prisoner health, hmm?" Smiling brightly, a glimmer of vicious hunger in her dark eyes, the Zeltron nodded in acknowledgement. "Of course, my Lord. He's been rather impolite, you see, and I felt he should be put in his place."

Bending down until he was face to face with the would-be spy, the young Knight chuckled softly. "A professional hazard, I suppose." Turning towards his apprentice, he quickly assessed her reaction to his associate's unique approach to conflict resolution before proceeding. "Lesson the first, shun the power struggles of the Sith like the plague; the wheels of power are ever moving, and it's very easy to get... crushed." Narrowing his eyes slightly, a smirk spread across his features. "Lesson the second... you've already experienced the simplest forms of mentalism, but there are far greater powers available to the learned. For instance..." his slender fingers snaked up towards the spy's forehead "... the Sith have ways of extracting information without need of cruder forms of interrogation."

Tendrils of icy blue lightning dancing forth, the Knight's eyes closed and the spy shuddered violently, then slumped into unconsciousness. Smiling softly, Adrian opened his eyes, murmuring softly. "Stestia, hmm? How utterly unsurprising."

Adrian was very patient with her even in her failure. He suggested she keep practicing it when she had the time. Giving him a nod, he moved to confront the spy. Only watching what happened, the movements were almost faster than her eyes could follow. She had seen blood before so that wasn't an issue. More of her attention was on her Master than on the deadly woman next to them.

Listening to what he said carefully, Aren was surprised he had already begun teaching and guiding her. After he pointed it out, it was obvious and she shook her head slightly.

"What is stestia?"

It was a word she had never heard before. Looking down at the man on the floor, he was still alive, but that was all. Would he have any memory left of this day? Not giving voice to that question, the young woman waited on an answer from Adrian and really wanted to have the companionship of her droids.

AMCO AMCO

As the man slid into unconsciousness - no doubt soon to be collected by his in-house medical staff - Adrian rose to his feet.

"Who, not what. She's a competitor of mine, a fairly reasonable one." Pointing towards the comatose spy, Adrian smiled coldly. "This... this is much more cost-effective than direct confrontation. Though I really think she should hire fewer but better spies... like I do."

Chuckling softly as he realized that Cara had slid away at some point - no doubt for some related project - he turned towards the way they had been going. "Anyway, we might as well get going. Someone will be by to collect him, soon enough." Turning to his apprentice, he gave her a cursory glance, trying to get a read of her reactions to all this. "Tell me, how do you think one reads a mind against the subject's will?"

"Oh, I see."

That was all Aren had to say about what Stestia was...not a what, but a who. Somebody that worked against Adrian. A person she didn't look forward to meeting but had the feeling it would happen eventually. Giving herself a mental shrug and listened to the question posed by her master.

As they walked along, she really didn't think of what happened before.

"Will he recover?"

So much for not really thinking of what happened. The question was out of her mouth before she could stop it. Looking at him she felt it should be answered. First, though, she pondered the one he had given her.

"I'm not entirely sure honestly. It's something I can do with droids easily enough, but not people."

AMCO AMCO

Would he recover? Taking a moment's pause to consider - Adrian had always believed in honesty, at least with his friends and allies - he shrugged.

"Probably. It is quite the traumatic experience, and some victims of such acts are left in asylums for the remainder of their days, but I try to limit the damage it causes, when possible." Glancing over at her, his voice turned serious. "Still, it is not something that should be done without good reason - or to those one does not wish to see harmed."

Giving her time to think, he smiled at her answer, having halfway expected it. "That does seem to be your forte, so we'll build on it." Taking a moment to gather his thoughts, he continued. "Obviously there are many differences between an organic and robotic mind, but the base principle is the same. Our minds, too, have a natural resistance of sorts - call it a firewall, if you will - that of Sith, Jedi, and those specially trained being the most difficult to overcome."

"As a general rule, it is easier to influence a mind than to read it, but harder still to control it. Oh, and willpower is an important factor, on both sides, but that should come as no surprise." Smiling softly, he eyed her. "Any questions?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom