Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you act out what you rp?

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
Sith every time I end up fighting someone with a saber up close I have a habit of using my wooden broad sword or my two fx sabers. This is so I can get a feel for what I'm about to write, it also helps me describe my foot movement how my arms flow and what actions I take. Sure I can't do fancy flips and such or use the force so that is my imagination. But from someone who has actually trained with bladed weapons in martial arts it makes it so much more fun and connects me in the role play and my character more.

So I'm curious dose any of you act out your role play similar to this?

Do you use past experience with weapons?

Do you own any and think hey how would my char do this if he/she was real?

The curiosity hit me when I was talking to my gf about it as it is a weird habit and I really wanted to know.

USually i say what my character says to get over how it sounds, if it works naturally. Ill also make hand movements, adjustments to how i sit, and transfer them to my character to make it more natural.

I do that almost always, every reply is first said by myself then by my character for example and is not weird at all. [member="Sanya Val Lerium"]

I like to write out in fiction what I've experienced some days, sort of in reverse I guess of your question. Its why I write a lot of martial artist types, as I long for the days of tourney fighting :D

I am planning to jump out of a plane next year, always wanted to, but like everything money :/ When I do and have the actual experience I imagine it'll make for some real creative spark.

Can't say as i've ever went out and conducted ungodly experiments on unwitting and unwilling test subjects, or summoned arcane forces to enchant a sword.. Or pretty much anything any of my characters but Ijaat do... But if it works for you, knock yourself(ves) out!

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Not anymore. I dread that level of detail and complexity. It breads a mindset of mathematical precision that is difficult to let go of. Soon you find yourself trying to solve problems that are never intended to have an answer anyway. Such as: How do lightsabre physics work? How do blasters function really? If the Force is a blood-based energy symptom of microscopic lifeforms, does being Force Dead cause negative matter metaphysical reverberation?

These day I'm very comfortable leaving a great deal more of my fiction to chance. :p

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I definitely haven't smithed swords, cut gems or incant blood rituals in my life! :p But it does feel great to do research on those sorts of things to get a feel for the trades/skills, and it gives a whole lot more possible content to things like dev or social threads.

As for fighting, generally speaking, yes - it does help to have a feel for those things in real life. However, it's better not to get too deep into it because that's when the line between "Am I going to win because my character is more skillful" and "Am I going to win because I know a whole bunch of stuff the other writer doesn't" start to blur.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
[member="Cheshire"] not necessarily I did it with my duel against Darth ferus and I intended to lose anyway but as Cheshire said it is good to have a feel for what your writing. I helps me make a more rich post and a good experience. Plus practice helps too Lol.

As a rule, I do this. I won't pull off any move I don't think can work in real life (edit: With some exception because the Force), and I often stage the instance to figure out what my character would do in such a situation, or how she would. This has helped me see a lot of interesting flaws in my movements and those of my opponents.
I have, however, noticed that some movements don't translate well, because the mechanics behind it are a bit obscure or a little difficult to explain. This has at times resulted in my attacks being misunderstood or simply handwaved.

I am also not too proud to mention that I read dialogue aloud, with accents and everything. Yes people, I impersonate your characters.

Why? Because I enjoy it just as much as I enjoy the RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom