Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion on Going Major

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
I can't make a proper poll, so this will have to do....

With the encroachment of two seemingly unhostile major factions on our doorstep, the time has come where we need to discuss as a group over whether or not we should go major. Who knows how long we will be out of the spotlight? There are people that still don't know about us, and we could run the risk of others trying to dom our planet without our knowledge (although rare) and we would lose it before getting a chance to rebel. Going major and gaining our own hex would prevent that.

Would it open us to possible invasions? Yes. But as it was pointed out, we would have greater access to larger fleets and such to better protect ourselves. And we'd have more ally slots, etc.

People are inquiring about our defences and other such things, so there is interest growing on people thinking that we'd be easy to take over.

Let's not make it easy for them.

It's a slightly different direction, but we have to be adaptable and in no way does it make us a warring faction. We are just protecting ourselves.

And besides, all you boys will be able to play with your tech that you've made ;)

So what do you say?

While a long time lurker around the website, I've only been apart of this faction for a short while (less than a week in fact). So obviously my opinion should count less than those who have built this faction up but I say that we should go major for the simple goal of defense. It's not right (at least in my eyes) that a major faction can at anytime take over the hex and negate the preexisting governments. I can understand how a lot of people think that the whole map game can be pretty intensive but we can always just stay on the defensive. Going major gives us the tools to better defend ourselves from other factions and grow more in numbers in exchange for trading dominions and rebellions for invasions.

Just my two cents anyways.

[member="Macoda Haberon"]

I think it'll be said later but, every opinion has value.

That said I don't particularly care either way. People like invasions but I also feel most people are more intimidated by major factions simply knowing they tend to pose worse targets. Not to mention that nearby the Coalition i belive would realize that as a major faction if we applied, Commenor invasions (that is to say invasions attacking commenor) would give us a distinct advantage post wise...

Way I see it is we should make the desicion based on rational reason instead of fear. I'm just as afraid as anyone else that Commenor might be a targegt but I'd rather not jump into the map game unless we have plenty of interested and devoted enough writers willing to put in the time if we do get attacked.

Either way, I'll be here with whatever choice Kay makes.

John Rakugan

C.E.O of Elysium Industries
Going to preface this by saying that I am a new member.

From the perspective of an outsider coming into the group for the first time, my personal opinion was that the group was small. Obviously, that initial impression was not accurate, because Commenor is 40+ members strong and has a lot of lore behind it. I think that shifting the plot away from just the planet and onto exploration and expansion will attract lots of people. The space station RP is fantastic, and I think that those sorts of large scale operations will set us apart.

I would support being a major faction, if the more senior members also approve of it. I'd be happy to help out with the writing and lore and such.

[member="Macoda Haberon"] is 100% right; some faction could come in any day now and swoop us up and there's not a damned thing we could do about it. Going major would put us at a strategic advantage, in my opinion. We have really good map placement.

I was just viewing going major as a defensive maneuver. We don't have to be expansive and dominate surrounding hexes. But it does open the option for possibly more threads and interaction with those outside of our faction.

Of course I'll being staying either way!

Kay-Larr

[member="Macoda Haberon"] [member="John Rakugan"]

Being fairly new doesn't mean that you'd don't get equal say. And yes, we wouldn't be expanding beyond our hex for quite some time if we are to go major. Yes we have a lot of members, but some people have alts included, and a couple are no longer on the board. So in some ways, this is also a bit of a roll call to see how many are currently active.

There'll be other threads similar to the space station one that [member="Kendall Ginn"] has created, regardless of what we choose as a group. So there's no worries there. ;)

The Order of the Sacred Lotus have reached out to me, I believe the Free Worlds Coalition reached out to [member="Lady Kay"]; from what we've been able to gather, they have no interest in taking us into their territories, though I'm sure they'd agree if we offered, let's not do that lol

Going Major has a large appeal for me personally, though as it's already been noted, it's not for everyone; thus all opinions are important in this decision, new and old!

I'm going to list the pro's and con's of which I believe going Major would hold for us:

Pro's:
  • Going Major opens us up to the possibility of larger fleets, more opportunity for members to delve into the factory/codex should that be their thing and boast Commenor's defenses greater than what we are currently capable of.

• Sooner or later someone is going to look to over take us, it's part of the map game as much as we might not all like it. Going Major will put up road blocks so to speak and make it more difficult for them to do so. Keep in mind that dominions and Invasions are all judged on story, this of which we are all very committed to. Regardless of whether or not we go Minor or Major, we will always be threatened by other factions to some degree, I'd prefer to make it harder for them to take us rather than leave it easy to do so.

• Acknowledgement - Going Major will have an impact on how we're perceived though much of it will still be based upon how we RP our story, doing this may attract new members into the faction looking for something relatively peaceful and stress free.

• Story driven purpose - As I have wished to do for other factions, I feel Commenor can lead by example where Story Driven direction is concerned. We don't need to be battling every faction we come across! As Commenor started out, we can co-operate with them while if we so choose, extending our reach across our own hex and making good on the trade and safety net we can offer others. Basically think of how we RP on Commenor now, but expand it to the entire hex. Look at the new avenues of RP that can be taken across the few worlds that we do decide to look at.

• Sub-Factions/Companies - Additionally we can have sections coming off of a Major Faction such as the Knights of Commenor, though it's already been concluded that said example is probably unnecessary at this given stage, our options don't stop there. Military/Mercenary/Trade & Commerce etc

Con's:
  • Attention - It's a double edged sword this is true. We could gain members but we could also gain envy from other factions that might seek to take advantage of our new entrance into the map game. The fact is our world is on the map either way so being open to attack is not a new prospective concern of ours but will our going major provoke that further? I feel this will come down to communication with our nearby neighbors...

• PVP - This isn't personally a negative thing for me but I'm writing with the faction in mind and I know PvP isn't for everyone. Going Major means having the faction opened up into this category. Invasions/Dominions aren't restricted to pvp by any means but rebellions and the like most often involve threat from other PC's that cannot always be ignored without taking on a bit of salt, thus it's important to note this down for members not so confident in this regard.

• Time - It might sound silly but yes there is an element of pressure put into Major factions where time and planning is concerned. Dominions for example, depending on when you start and wish to be included in the map updates, can be intensive and often require consistent activity (within reason!).
...I'm sure there are others for both Pro's and Con's but it's the middle of the day and I've got things on the go!

In mentioning the prospective move to going Major last night, I hadn't expected for this to take on so fast. I'd made it in humor and friendly jest to Kay though it seems have become much more provocative at least in the sense that we're airing the subject out again. If we do not go Major now, there is always the chance in the future and whether we choose to do so or otherwise will not put a hold on any current stories we have been playing out which I have been thoroughly enjoying.

I am for the prospect of becoming a Major Faction, I enjoy the thrill and seeing a result come of hard work and focus put into IC focused directions.

I too realize that again, not everyone feels the same and I'd like to make sure that if we did go down that road, that all members know they will have a choice in how involved they get within PVP and the like, it's always going to be optional for every player across this board. On the other hand, if we stay minor, nothing changes for me personally, I still have my share in some great RP with the rest of you and thus won't be hugely disappointed :)

Also, I'm not sure how much this applies to us, though with a Hex we could lean that way? I'm not entirely sure but people are on the lookout for something closer to what we're aiming for, certainly. Democracy, integrity in government and civilian care - Click Here.

I am for going major.

First is I think Commenor deserves to be recognized as what is awesome about this site. It isn't the mandalorians or the sith, but that makes everything here so much more interesting because it's fresh writing from a large group of really creative writers, and having something like that become major is a good direction for the forum as a whole, and can lead to a ton of interesting role-plays for us and others who get involved with us. Second is the fact that Commenor becomes a more solid idea in the community, that it is a territory and like [member="Lady Kay"] said can't just be the victim of an attempted steam roll of some major faction. However I share the concern with [member="Veiere Arenais"] that if we do become a major faction then we're likely to be targeted. A lot of small factions that make it major end up getting stomped out before they have a chance to fully place themselves, but that still isn't enough for me to think we should back out since Commenor has a strong base already and a really good group to hold it together. I think either way a lot of interesting stuff is gonna happen here, but being a major faction just opens up more windows.

As it stands, we'd need eight active members to state their activity and support of our application, if we did make the move to Major.

Though ironically, there is this thread to keep an eye on:
Click Here

Kay-Larr

[member="Darlyn Excron"]

You aren't one of the newcomers, which was why I didn't mention you :p Plus I was cooking dinner, so...distracted mind :p

[member="Veiere Arenais"] and [member="Kendall Ginn"] , you both make great points and I love the breakdown of pros and cons.

I'm eager to hear what [member="Bradshaw Ku"] , [member="Thraxis"] and [member="Darben Skirae"] have to say. Brad is on vacation, so a decision won't be made until all active members have let us know what they think.

Also, I think that one of the planets in our hex is ruled by a member of the Free Worlds Coalition. So that could pose a bit of a problem.

Personally, I believe we should go major and only take the hex we are in, as commenor is right on the free world's doorstep, and we would have a defensive fleet. While other major factions would take notice of this, commenor would overall be more safe. Further mor,e as tanomas Graf and Tefka said, that thread's suggestion has been shot down. The galaxy needs more major faction.

Kay-Larr

Edit for my previous post... Cato Neimoidia, which I believe is in our hex isn't ruled by a FWC character. Herr Vanderhing is Trade Federation. He should be notified beforehand if we go major. Give him the same courtesy that we would expect.

Nah. You can always simply become a Minor Faction in their stuff and not bother with having to have a new defence thread every week. Let them defend us while we bolster our own defence to the point we become such a nigh impenetrable bulwark that it takes more effort to conquer than there is to gain.

[member="Darlyn Excron"] Said my mind, we should go major for the right reasons.

For me, I don't care too much either way. If we go major, great, if not, great. If your hope is to keep people from invading this hex, when they do just rebel against it and fight it that way. If you stay minor you can do that.

However, on going major, this faction is more active than a lot that I have seen or been a part of. There is the member base, there is the commitment, so if y'all wanna go major, go for it. This place is pretty jumpin' with things being active and all. But if major is obtained it needs to be for the right reasons rather than prepping for war.

If someone did invade this hex though and IF it did get taken over, I'd recomend brokering a deal with whoever does it--help them finish the dom thread and in return the leave you the hell alone/let you keep a fair amount of autonomy. Either way, they can't really do anything to Commenor without your permission.

Kay-Larr

[member="Darben Skirae"] [member="Lauri Törni"]

Thank you for your thoughts :) It would give us more attention for sure, and my hope is that it's mostly the good kind. So far all of our members have been respectful and courteous, which keeps us above the salt and drama. I hope that we continue that path, regardless.

[member="Thraxis"]

There is no guarantee that any major faction that tries to take over our hex would wants us as a minor faction within. But the same goes for if we are invaded and lose. Both ways are risky.

Edit: [member="Ardgal Raxis"]

Just read your post now...lol Thank you for that :) Rebellions can only be triggered after a certain number of posts, right? So a way for the major to avoid that would be to not exceed said number. I knew some majors that stuck to that to avoid rebellions alltogether.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Not anymore, maybe before. The rule is now, anything within two weeks (or something like that) of it being Domed can be rebelled against. Its about timing not posting, the only exception is the first Dom, and that is because the capital is being placed there and a faction's capital hex cannot be rebelled against just invaded. That is a bloody mess.

Glad I can help, I just want you to know there are lots of tools available to us in said scenario if that fear is what would motivate going major. We can use said tools to reach a mutually beneficial agreement, or one that would even make you better off than ever before.

John Ash

Only by Fire do we become Ash.
[member="Lady Kay"]

Well talking about Rebellions I know of at least one way to go about it that is sort of cheating. You can hit up Draco and Faith and see if the Coalition is up for domming the hex you are in and then letting you win the rebellion created from it. They more or less did this with the Mando clans and Alderaan to go major, so it would sort of be passing the sentiment forward. What you do story wise in the dominion is have the Coalition come to Commenor looking to invite yall into their faction. You have some political debates back and forth while other peaceful objectives are handled by both your members in the rest of the hex. Declare the Rebellion as soon as the dom hits 150 posts, which shouldn't take too long, and then just have Kay decline the offer finally and declare your Independence. Have some of the other systems in the hex join you and the Coalition just says cool and hands it to you. It will be stress free this way and easy for judges. You won't even need to do much more posting after the rebellion is called.

If you do that you will have your major status from a friendly rebellion. This will also help with legitimizing you a bit. I personally think yall should aim for major. Regardless of what happens it will not really hurt you that much. The group is dedicated to your story and it just makes IC sense with the direction you have been taking Commenor in since you took it over. This just cuts out the middle man of potentially being played hot potato with. The fact several major factions have extended the offer to join them but didn't dom you after you declined is a good sign. People already see you as being good enough for major as is so why not actually be major?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom