Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diplomatic Solutions (Republic/Protectorate Diplomats)

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"] @[member="Philip J. Halen"] @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="Cira"]

It was a matter of policy that a state should never become isolated and surrounded. Unlike a certain Kaisar, Tegaea had no intention of fighting a five front war. It would be worse than stupid, it’d be suicidal. And so, with war narrowly averted through Byzantine diplomacy, it was time to mend fences and fix bridges.

And so, Exarch Tegaea Alcori and Colonel Siobhan Kerrigan had been dispatched to Coruscant to smooth over recent incidents. No one in either camp wanted the other to be wiped out, as they were the closest two ideologically. They certainly might not agree on everything, but they could agree that a galaxy without the other would make things much more dangerous for them!

As they landed at the Senate building and surrendered their weapons, Tegaea reflected it had been a while since she’d been here. She wasn’t too worried. Siobhan was with her, and she was more dangerous unarmed than a company of soldiers with repeating blasters.

They were shown to a meeting room to await the Chancellor’s appearance. Siobhan had not told her she’d already met her. That would doubtless come out during this discussion.

Aleidis Zrgaat

Young soul from an older generation.
@[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

True to form - given her laboriously polite way of handling virtually everything - Aleidis was waiting in the meeting room for the Protectorate's delegate with a warm smile and a modest veggie platter of her own making.

Truth be told, Omega Pyre had been on her mind for some time. Before she'd been appointed Supreme Chancellor, in fact. It was a diplomatic mess, a bunch of bickering over a ship and rights and laws that'd nearly dissolved relations between the two neighboring factions. Was Ardak in the right? Was Ayden Cater? A lot of it was hearsay and opinion. In Aleidis' opinion, other steps should have been taken. But she wasn't in power, then.

She was, now. And Aleidis had some funny ideas about national pride and consideration.

"Good afternoon, Exarch Alcori." The Ghostling greeted, standing from her chair to offer a polite bow and smile. Adjusting her white-and-blue veda cloth robes, the teenager motioned for the Omega Pyre delegates to have a seat. She was unarmed, aside from a small folder and her datapad, both lain on the table in front of her. "I have to say, it's nice to see you - and Missus Kerrigan, too! You look healthy." She complimented cheerfully.

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

“Chancellor, it is so nice to meet you at last. My congratulations on your elevation. I hope that we can renew the ties which existed before and forge a stable relationship.”
She sat and took a carrot. She rather liked vegetables.

Despite several years of political dealings and negotiations Tegaea was still not one to get too involved in smalltalk. That could come later.

“If you have no objections, we should get down to business, Chancellor. I was not present at Poliss Massa, but I have read extensively on both sides. I would like to hear your opinion on the matter, and what you feel is necessary to balance matters properly.”

Aleidis Zrgaat

Straight and to the point. Good.

"To be honest, Exarch Alcori, I'm a little more interested in what Omega Pyre is planning to do to balance things out." Aleidis pointed out with a small, reluctant smile. She folded her hands on the table, atop her folder. "Polis Massa was a regrettable event, and mistakes were made on both sides. I'll admit that." She allowed, before opening her folder. "As I'm sure you know, a vote of no-confidence was enacted as a direct result of Exarch Ayden Cater's wide-angle broadcast to every Republic Vessel and senator who's frequencies he knew." Aleidis pressed a button on her datapad, and Exarch Cater's voice played through the room.

"Supreme Chancellor Ardak Serifen. You and your men stand responsible for the deaths of at least six thousand Protectorate lives. You have violated Protectorate law, disgraced the goodwill of the Republic, and have irreparably damaged relations between the Republic and the Protectorate. As long as the Republic is led by such a dishonorable and spiteful man, relations between our two states are hereby disbanded. By my rights as Exarch, should you be found within Protectorate space, you shall be arrested and tried to the full extent of Protectorate law for your actions this day. May the gods have mercy on your soul. Message ends."

Aleidis gave Tegaea a slightly apologetic look, as though she was sorry that such an unpleasant thing had to be brought up during what was such a pleasant meeting. "Now, I understand that blood was high and tensions were at a breaking point. So, things that we'd normally refer to in peacetime as 'slander against a democratically elected leader' and 'borderline terrorist propaganda' can sometimes seem like a good idea. Because of the heat of the moment." Aleidis allowed. "It's the same sort of thing as Exarch Cater invoking Protectorate Law in what was - at that point - international space."

"I... I am not a warrior, Exarch Alcori. Not by any stretch of the imagination." Aleidis promised with a small smile. "And I understand that strength in battle, with guns and ships, is the foundation of the Protectorate's government, given your roots as a Private Military Company." She explained.

"What confuses me the most about this whole situation, though, is this;"

"The Protectorate committed an act of war against the Republic during a joint effort at Polis Massa. Incensed that - under international law - he'd lost a prize, or lost face, or whatever, Exarch Ayden Cater locked Republic men on a ship that was ready to detonate. So far as my sources - being an independent investigative commission - have been able to determine, that was the first war crime committed between us at Polis Massa." Aleidis explained.

"Now, I couldn't care less about the ship if I tried. If it were still there, I'd wrap it up in a bow for you." Aleidis promised with a tiny smile.

"So, if we recap - Exarch Cater committed an Act of War against the Republic, slandered the name of Supreme Chancellor Ardak on every frequency available to him, directly resulting in his impeachment - as Exarch Cater made it clear that relations between us were over until such time as our leadership changed hands. Now, it looks to the Galaxy that the Protectorate is dictating Republic policy... and I'm sure we both know how dangerous that can be to the worlds under my protection." Aleidis explained compassionately.

"Now, I'm sure you've taken steps to... discipline Exarch Cater. After all, you wouldn't come here - under threat of war, no less! - to make friends, having let the man who's actions lead directly to the death of two hundred and seven Republic Soldiers walk free without so much as a slap on the wrist. Especially after he slandered Chancellor Ardak and dissolved the treaty between us." Aleidis chuckled, spreading her hands slightly. "I'd love to know what the Protectorate has done regarding this man. I'm positive you wouldn't have come here with such a man still occupying one of the three most powerful positions of leadership in the Protectorate. That'd just be a slap in the face to me, and to the Republic, you know?"

Tegaea listened as the young Chancellor spoke. Tegaea Alcori was no Aurelia Saelari. She did not have the gift for dramatic and cutting speeches. Probably for the best in this situation. Rather, Tegaea had been a soldier and leader since before Aleidis had been born, and she had a very practical outlook on matters. She was not here to squabble.

"The downfall of Chancellor Serifan gave me little joy, Chancellor. Even though I think he was wrong I don't delight in the loss of anyone's livelihood. This whole incident could have been avoided if both sides were more willing to negotiate than take rough action. Perhaps had I been there matters would have been different. I wasn't there, and so we are stuck with this situation."
"Exarch Cater has had the situation explained to him from your side. There were mitigating factors however. More Protectorate soldiers died that day due to this uncertainty than Republic, and Cater only reacted to the Chancellor's actions."

She held up a hand. "But this is old ground. I will come to how this can be fixed later, but there is a far more important set of issues to discuss. The Republic wants to bring justice and order to the galaxy, as does your Jedi Order too. We seek the same thing through different but similar paths. Through our actions we have helped bring stability and peace to nearly half the galaxy. The darkness is passing and we can finally let people live without fear of raiders or cultists. We don't always agree, and nor should we, for we are different. But we are more alike than our enemies are to us. Whatever you might say of our two systems, we are not autocracies. We give power to the people; you are elected by Senators representing worlds, and each of our worlds decides their own course. We are not Sith, we are not imperialists, radicals or tyrants. We are people trying to do the best we can."

"The galaxy is full of danger. We fear that the Fringe may be plotting with the Atrisians and others. Nothing definite, but who knows if they might attack us tomorrow. Some day it might be you, especially since your efforts to strike at the Sith have ended in stalemate. We are surrounded by enemies, Chancellor, they have their pact, and we are divided. In the past we have fought with you. At Roche, Metalorn, Mandalore, even at Poliss Massa we fought and died together. I don't want war, Chancellor, but we would be naive to think that others don't want it. Therefore, our best interests lie in a mutual defence pact."

Tegaea drunk from a water glass. "I am not brushing Poliss Massa aside. It was a very bad incident, and I think both sides share some blame. We must move past that though. We help govern empires of trillions, will we let the regrettable deaths of a few thousand leave us open to war and genocide? We are prepared to compensate the families of those killed with an amount we both deem fair, and to allow certain...concessions to be made in the area of trade. We need this issue resolved, Chancellor, and I am not here to argue with you about who was right and who was wrong. I am here to get things back on course before other factors make it too late."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"], @[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Siobhan sat down on a seat next to Tegaea. "Thanks, Chancellor. I've tried to keep the limb losing down. You look good as well. It's good to see you. I'm glad to see we're talking again" she said warmly as Aleidis greeted, flashing her a smile. As much as Siobhan would have liked to troll the younger woman with innuendo, they had business to discuss right now. For her part Siobhan needed to be pressed to eat her veggies sometimes, but she accepted a small tomato.

For this occasion Siobhan had been forced to wear the blue Omega dress uniform, though she had successfully resisted the suggestion to adorn it with countless medals. That just...seemed like something an officer from a tinpot junta would be trying to do in an attempt to compensate for something. She had surrendered her lightsabre at the entrance, but as was well known she did not need a weapon to raise hell. However, she was not here for that.

Polis Massa had...made her furious, but the Protectorate could not go on without allies...and the Republic was preferrable to several others. She had received a memo from Moira Skaldi, she loathed the woman but her long lecture about the Protectorate being encircled had resonated with her. Especially after she had just received a beating again on Metalorn. She stayed silent as Tegaea spoke, giving her hand a slight squeeze under the table. Between the two of them Tegaea was the leader.

Aleidis Zrgaat

"Exarch Alcori, you keep saying 'We' as though the Republic has the same opponents lurking in the darkness." Aleidis pointed out flatly, her pleasant demeanor abating somewhat. "In my short time so far as Supreme Chancellor, I've made peace with the Empire - ending a thousand years' worth of warfare and hated. I've set into place long-term diplomatic relations with the Confederacy. The Republic's friendship with the Mandolorians is the same as it's ever been. Aside from the usual insane individuals and pirate groups, the Republic is at peace, and stands to remain that way for a long time."

"In the first month of my tenure, I ran to and fro across the galaxy to spread peace. I've listened to anyone who turns up on my doorstep. And most all of the time, I'm able to work out an accord with them." Aleidis explained. "But I haven't gone to Omega Pyre yet - despite my deep respect for the individuals among you that I've met. There's a reason for that."

"...you broke up with us." Aleidis stated firmly, putting her finger down on the table. "Omega Pyre's pressure caused the senate to impeach Serifen Ardak. Ayden Cater's actions at Polis Massa nearly plunged us both into war. And it was an Omega Pyre's Exarch that declared the treaty between us dissolved."

"I like your forthrightness, Exarch Alcori. I really do. But when you list those battles - Roche, Polis Massa, Metalorn - I don't see an extended hand of friendship. I see mercenaries hired and paid to do a job." Aleidis insisted. "I like my housekeeper - I like her because she's a sweet woman, because she's always got a smile. I don't like her by default simply because I'm paying her to provide a service."

"From my side of the table, it looks as though Omega Pyre has run out of friends, and now they're scrambling back to rebuild the bridge that one of their own burned." Aleidis explained, spreading her hands slightly. "And if that's the case, I'd wish you'd just admit it - because we can peacefully co-exist without a treaty. If you hadn't shown up here today, or even in the next year, I would not have hounded the armies of the Republic down on you in retribution. I wouldn't have done diddly. I'm trying to stop wars. It's kind of my whole platform."

"But if you want things to go back to the way they were - all of the trade agreements, commerce, and unity between our factions - I'm going to need Omega Pyre to show it. To work for it. Because we've lost face, thanks to Exarch Cater's actions. We've considerably lost face, on a Galactic scale, and I've been working double-time to fix that."

"What I want is simple. Exarch Cater's career, and a genuine apology for Ayden Cater's actions from the Lady Protector herself on every frequency that Exarch Cater condemned our Ardak Serifen - with the addition of the former Chancellor's, himself." Aleidis explained forcibly, her bubbly demeanor now all but gone. "The first should be obvious - while Exarch Cater and Chancellor Ardak might have both been to blame, so far only one has been punished. If you want us to be equals again, I will need you to show it."

"When these conditions are met, I'll be willing to re-visit opening the treaty between our nations." Aleidis promised, lacing her fingers together. "I'm planning a peace summit between the factions, next month. A coalition for the technological and humanitarian betterment of every soul in the Galaxy. I'd sure like for the Protectorate to have a representative there, but whether or not the invitation arrives depends entirely on the Protectorate's actions."

Here is a point where this writer's characters would have diverged in opinions. Ms Saelari would have immediately launched into a declamation on the arrogance and presumption of the Republic. Doubtless the Jedi Master Phylis Alince would have made a wry comment and tried to move things along without causing a fight. It's difficult to imagine what Kalinai Soluza would have said...probably something about Fringe invasions just to annoy Islay Verd....

Regardless, Tegaea took it all in. She closed her eyes briefly and then nodded.
"Chancellor, you must be well aware that I cannot fire someone who is my equal in rank, no more than you could get rid of another Senator when you were in the Senate. I will convey your terms to the Lady Protector of course. For what it is worth, I am sorry that this happened. I wasn't there, and you don't want my apology, but here it is. The incident at Polis Massa hurt us as it hurt you."
She did not mention that the peace with the Sith was likely to last as long as it took for the Sith to figure out who should be their Emperor for more than five minutes. Besides, a Jedi declaring eternal peace in our times with a Sith was a bit of an odd move. Still, for another time.
"And yes, I am trying to rebuilt burned bridges, just as you are doing for what your predecessors did." Especially that Saelari woman. Force knew, she was annoying as hell. "We are playing with the lives of millions here, Chancellor. I'm not going to let my pride get in the way. On the other hand I cannot make any promises regarding Exarch Cater. If that is all that matters to you, then that is unfortunate."

Aleidis Zrgaat

"I'm well aware that you cannot dismiss your equal, Exarch Alcori." Aleidis allowed, taking a small breath. She helped herself to a carrot, and dipped it into the cream cheese mixture near the vegetable tray. "That'd be a silly system to have in place. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry that this happened as well. On a personal level, your apology counts for more than you know. But as someone charged with safeguarding trillions of lives, and protecting the pride of a government that has existed for twenty seven thousand years, it doesn't go quite as far."

"Your parting shot implying that revenge or pride is all that matters to me has, however, been noted. I am sorry that you feel put out, or inconvenienced that I should expect the Protectorate to lower themselves to a position equality to heal a rift they created, but we could go round and round about this all day and get nowhere. All I want is a little fair play and an apology before we're friends again, and that doesn't seem like too much to ask." Aleidis admitted, popping the baby carrot into her mouth. Crunch. Delicious. "...does it?"

"In any case, bickering certainly wouldn't help either of our causes." Aleidis added for good measure. "Thank you for making the trip out here, Exarch Alcori - and I really do hope that we can get things back on track soon. You're welcome to stick around for lunch - on me, of course. I was planning on asking your lovely partner if she'd like to step out on the balcony for a cigarette before we parted ways, anyway." Aleidis added, flashing Siobhan a friendly smile - hoping that this wouldn't ruin her nascent friendship with the older woman.

Besides. Aleidis couldn't buy her own cigarettes. She was too young.

Siobhan's jaw tightened slightly, but she let Tegaea speak and relaxed slightly. There was a reason she was the Exarch after all. That she thought peace with the Sith could never last was plain for anyone who knew her. Of course, the Sith had this little issue about actually settling on who should be their Emperor and not having a coup by tea time at the latest. As for Saelari, that woman never shut up.

"Chancellor, without wanting to be self-righteous, if it were simply mercenaries fulfilling a contract, I would have sat out the G99 engagement at Roche instead of coming to the aid of the Republic. I don't want to deliver a history lesson, the facts are known, but a Republic Battalion was pinned down by a Sith armoured division and I took what forces I had to come to their aid. We got the job done, at great cost to both units. An Omega Company was all but wiped out in the process. It would've been more prudent for a mercenary to retreat or just perform scorched earth on the asteroid from the start to deny the Sith their tactical objectives. Likewise I was there at Metalorn, even though we'd broken off relations then, and took on a Sith armoured company and a Sith Lord head-on," Siobhan spoke. Among other thing she had sacrificed her own men at G99 by dropping a roof to stop the Sith from killing them all and recovering the fighter parts.

She was quiet for a moment, then returned the smile. Apparently Siobhan was learning a bit to be diplomatic. To an extent at least. If she was too nice people might expect her to do her own paperwork as well. Then she nodded. "Sure. I'd like that. I don't get to smoke freely at the Omega Pyre Tower anymore. Subordinates keep hounding me about it," she joked, trying to ease the tension a bit.

"I do not feel it is too much to ask, Chancellor. However, whether it can be made to happen is another thing. Forcing out one of our Exarchs is something which has not happened before. You will agree that he might not be very...pleased with the idea. Still, what must be done must be done."

Tegaea smiled. She'd made a start. Now she just had to talk to Cira. She didn't want Ayden gone but on the other hand....

"You may certainly borrow my wife for a little while. Try to return her with all her limbs. Our medical wing practically has a room reserved for her permanently!" Tegaea said. The tension lifted a little. Tegaea liked the Chancellor, despite everything. If asked to describe a 16 year old Jedi Master and Chancellor...well...she'd have imagined such a creature as being called Mary or Sue, and having purple eyes and silver hair. Yet, this woman was nothing like that. It made her feel rather old.

Aleidis Zrgaat

@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Aleidis took a small breath and stood up. Just like that - like she'd shed a blanket hanging around her shoulders - the cheerful young woman who'd recieved them initially was back. Aleidis really didn't like having to resort to unpleasant negotiations, but she was as much a servant of the people's will as Chancellor as she was as a Jedi. In some ways, more so. "Missus Kerrigan, you're assuredly among the list of 'respected Protectorate folk'. Not only for your considerable contributions." Aleidis promised genuinely. "Which, I promise you, have earned you no small measure of respect - and not just from me." The teenager insisted, wiping her hands off on her trousers, attempting to get rid of the sweat on her palms in an innocuous gesture. At least her knees weren't shaking.

"I'll be sure to take good care of her. Aside from the smoking. Feel free to order anything you'd like for lunch - the kitchen here in the Senate building is like, super-robust" Aleidis promised Exarch Alcori with a downright cheerful smile, stepping towards a wide double-door that lead out onto a balcony. The Senate building was practically inundated with balconies.

@[member="Tegaea Alcori"], @[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

Clearly Siobhan would have to remind Tegaea on the trip back home that she was far from old. Fortunately the voyage back to Fondor was quite long. This writer shall not elaborate further because kiddies might be reading this and this one is a strong proponent of family-friendliness.

"I don't lose limbs that often!" Siobhan grumbled good-naturedly. It had only been...not that often! She gave Tegaea's hand a gentle squeeze and then got up, some of the tension leaving her. "Me respectable? That sounds sort of wrong. People already expect me to attend fancy balls and wear a dress," she quipped. She still had not given up her suspicion that wifey was trying to femme he up. So Siobhan gave Tegaea a smile and then followed Aleidis out to one of the many balconies that the Senate Building was seemingly inundated with, removing a packet of cigarettes from her pocket.

Aleidis Zrgaat

@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Once outside, Aleidis gave a soft sigh of relief and offered Siobhan a friendly smile. "I'm glad that's over with. Might if I bum a smoke, Missus Kerrigan?" Aleidis asked hopefully. In a flash, she went from 'Leader of the free Republic' to 'teenager asking an adult for a favor'. She could have just as easily asked for a speeder lift to the mall, or something like that. Assuming that Siobhan oblidged her, Aleidis lit up, took a small drag, then sighed and leaned backwards against the railing of the balcony with a relieved smile.

"I have some strawberries set aside for you, Missus Kerrigan. I picked them myself." She promised cheerfully. "Put 'em in a basket with some chocolate dip when I heard you were coming to visit." The Ghostling explained with a bright-eyed smile.

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"Not at all. Far be it from me to deprive a young lady of nicotine delights!" Siobhan quipped, since she was the helpful sort and always willing to take someone off the straight and narrow path. Politicking and diplomacy she did not like doing, this was more to her liking. So Siobhan obliged her and handed her a cigarette, lighting it for her, before fetching her own, taking a deep drag as they stood there on the balcony, overlooking the vast city beneath them.

"Thanks. I do like strawberries. So does wifey," she smiled at her. Siobhan had found some rather...creative applications for berries and chocolate dip. Again this writer is a strong proponent of family-friendliness. "So how's Codi?"

Aleidis Zrgaat

Alei's cheeks flushed slightly. "We're doing okay, I guess. I think she's worried about becoming a trophy wife, or whatever, because she keeps making snide comments about it. And that's how she worries about things." Aleidis explained. "She gets snarky about 'em." The Ghostling sighed slightly, rubbing the back of her neck as she took another drag. "...was thinking about taking her somewhere with an awesome beach. Maybe Kothlis." Aleidis admitted. "Once all this head-of-state business dies down a bit and I can leave my second-in-command in charge for, like a week."

"I dunno. I know she's given up, like... everything to be with me. And I try to make it up for her whenever I can. Guess I just worry that I'm not enough for her, you know?" Aleidis confessed with a tiny smile. "Do you and Missus Alcori ever have that problem?"

Siobhan was quiet for a moment, turning her head slightly to look into the office. Talking about her relationship issues felt a bit weird considering her wife was not far away, probably within earshot. At the same time Siobhan was not going to start whispering like she had something to hide.

"Sometimes, yeah. For a while I worried I wouldn't fit into her life anymore. I'm a soldier after all," she said self-depreceatingly. "But she's been great, most understanding woman I know. Deep down she's still the same, always tries to do what's right. It's...hard on her, since I'm out on the battlefield and she has to stay home, govern and worry. I came home a broken mess after Metalorn."

Siobhan had promised to take a step back from field work, for now, unless it was important. But the clouds were darkening, war loomed on the horizon. Of course a case could be made for the theory that there would always be something. But she did want to reach that mythical future where they were lying on a beach, untroubled by the concerns of the Galaxy, as terribly sappy as that sounded, but then love made you do the wacky.

Aleidis Zrgaat

Aleidis nodded knowingly, rubbing her own arm slightly as though to warm it. "I have nightmares about those prisoners, still - the ones that were driven insane by gunjack poisoning?" She confessed quietly. "I wish I knew who was responsible for that. Those men did nothing to deserve being turned into mindless beasts, or turned on armed soldiers." Aleidis murmured, looking down at her bare feet. "...if I ever doubted my resolve that War is a horrible atrocity to be avoided at all costs, the Unreal city burned the truth of it into my brain. It made what I'm trying to do all the more important, because we can't let something like that happen ever again."

Siobhan had long become desensitised to the horrors of war. Her innocence had been burnt out of her long before Adril saved her life and she joined the Jedi. She had just needed someone to hone her into the lethal instrument she had been since then. Part of her still relished combat and revelled in the mayhem she wrought.

"I've seen things like that before. In the Bando Gora labs. It's how they make their Reavers - pump innocent people full with narcotics to leave nothing but rage in their mind, torture 'em until they break," she responded. Witnessing the horrors of the Bando Gora war had driven her close to the darkside, but she still had her anchors. Especially Tegaea.

"Problem with peace is, it only works if the other side wants to talk and doesn't just see diplomacy as a way to buy time to hit back with greater strength. You can't have it unless you're ready to fight if need be," she said frankly. She was not here to have a dispute about peace at all costs, but she was an inherently cynical person. Nothing could convince her that you could coexist with Bando Gora or Sith. One wanted to make the Galaxy burn, the other wanted to enslave it. "Used to live for battle, honestly. Expected I'd go out in a 'blaze of glory'. Lost its appeal after getting maimed a lot! Guess marriage makes you go soft. Well, there's perks!" she shrugged, chuckling as she blew out a cloud of smoke into the air, exhaling.

Tegaea headed to the balcony and exited. "I've ordered lunch, it should be up soon. So, I wasn't aware you two knew each other," Tegaea said, looking between them. She could see that Siobhan had leant the girl a smoke. Made sense.

She looked out over the city. "Beautiful, just how I remember it...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom