Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Detours

Nar Shaddaa
Tags: Cato Harth Cato Harth

On the way back to Corellia, the fuel in the Philosopher began to run low. Jasper was less than thrilled by this. After all, the closest place he could re-fuel was Nar Shaddaa. They didn't call it the smuggler's moon for no reason. Even when it was no longer under the slimy thumb of the Hutts, it was deeply imbedded with the Galaxy's most deplorable criminals. It was a location that he disliked greatly, but his empty tank gave him no other options.

He set down the Philosopher and began to make arrangements for it to be re-fueled... until he looked at his funds. The exile had very little money. He didn't have enough to get him back to Corellia, let alone a closer planet like Tatooine or Ryloth. Jasper needed funds, so he did the only thing he could: Open his bar. Before long, the doors of the Philosopher were open to the public, and Jasper was behind the counter mixing drinks for a questionable crowd. Surprisingly, business was smooth, and his patrons weren't as rowdy as he expected. Before long, he'd have enough credits to pay for fuel and get the hell off this rock.

Busting criminals was a tiring job. Especially when doing so on a moon as stubbornly criminal as Nar Shaddaa. More thugs, thieves, and general ne'er-do-wells seemed to crawl out every day, ensuring that Cato's work would never truly end.

Thankfully, some nights were quieter than others, and even Cato needed a break from time to time. When he caught wind of a pop-up bar setup nearby, it was suffice to say that his attention was thoroughly grabbed. Not only could he get a drink, but the nature of it meant that whoever was running the joint (probably) had no grudge to hold against Cato.

The knight swaggered up to the counter, before deflating almost as soon as he sat down. "Something strong, please and thanks."

Nar Shaddaa

There was something particularly strange about the man who had just taken a seat behind his bar. He seemed young, maybe twenty or so, and held himself in a semi-composed manner, despite his clear exhaustion. He turned back, grabbing a bottle of green liquid from his wine rack. He popped the cap off, pouring a glass and passing it to the stranger.

"Here you are," Jasper said. "Pirate's Brew. It doesn't have a greatly distinctive flavor, but it has a very particular kick to it. I wouldn't suggest drinking it too fast."

Jasper turned back, tending to the dirty glasses which had begun piling up. His curiosity began to take over, an instinct he struggled to scathe off in most cases. Who was this man? He didn't seem to be a criminal of any kind, let alone your average street dweller.

"You seem a bit more official than the riff-raff I've had today. Where you from?"

“Works for me,” Cato took a sip from the glass, grimacing as soon as the brew hit his lips. That kick wasn’t anything to mess around with, “Jeez, you weren’t kidding.” The strength subsided with further sips, but he figured he’d take the bartender’s advice and keep it slow.

The idea of being considered ‘official’ was enough to make Cato chuckle, “If you say so. And I was born on Bonadan, if that’s what you’re asking. Which in all honesty is not too different from this cesspool.” He shifted in his seat, the movement revealing the lightsaber hilt under his coat. “What about you? Obviously you’re not a local.”

Nar Shaddaa

Jasper saw a glint in the corner of his eye. Briefly, and only briefly, he could make out a shape that, without a doubt, was the hilt of a lightsaber. A chill ran down his spine, though his face remained as static as he could make it. The life he was denied was sitting before him, and at any moment, if his force sensitivity was detected, the exile feared that judgement would rain down on him. He had to play it cool. Hopefully, in time, the Jedi would leave on his own.

"No, not a local," he shrugged. "Though I don't feel it matters too much where ya come from," a grin spread across the exile's face. "Not that it matters anyways. I've got no damn clue where I come from!"

It was true. Jasper didn't know where he was born, and in no time traveling the galaxy did he ever come across any evidence that the name Kai'el was even a family. He couldn't help joking about this, even if the stranger had no context.

"Sorry, a bit of drab humor on my end," he apologized. "I did live as a scrapper on Corellia for some time if that answers your question. One day I simply repaired a run down ship and set off with some booze in my cargo hold. The rest is pretty self explanatory."

He couldn't leave it there. As a bartender, he had somewhat of a duty to keep the bar lively. He needed good ratings, after all.

"So, what brings you out here? Work... Delegation... A bounty?"

"Livin' the dream," He raised his glass to the story, then took another sip. "Hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem pretty… youthful for a guy who runs a bar."

Not that Cato was going to pry on the matter further. Either way it was hardly the worst crime being committed on Nar Shaddaa, and his first impressions of the drinks were solid.

"Hm? Oh, um, I've been here for a while now actually. I guess you could say I'm the uh… 'neighborhood watch', around here." He spoke a little quieter, apparently uninterested in attracting any eavesdroppers.

Nar Shaddaa

"Hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem pretty… youthful for a guy who runs a bar."

The truth is, Jasper was rather youthful. Finding a seventeen year old behind a counter was an uncommon occurrence. It didn't much bother him that this was where his questions lie. Anything that avoided the acknowledgement of either of their force sensitivity.

"You could say that," Jasper shrugged. "Though I find that looks can be deceiving."

"Hm? Oh, um, I've been here for a while now actually. I guess you could say I'm the uh… 'neighborhood watch', around here."

Neighborhood watch? Jasper thought to himself, somewhat amused. That was the most Jedi response he had ever heard in his life. Of course, it was in his best interest to avoid bringing up the fact he was a Jedi, especially on a world where law enforcement was generally despised.

"That's rough," Jasper nodded. "I don't know how anyone keeps a 'watch' on a place like this, but more power to ya I suppose."

“It’s a thankless job.” Cato shrugged, “Ya get used to it.” He’d figured some time ago that the best way to make a difference was to go to the source of the problem. Nar Shaddaa was about as close to the ‘root’ of crime as you could get. Results thus far were… mixed.

“Why make a stop here, anyway? Honest clientele are not how I would describe a lot of Narsh’s population.” By this point Cato had picked up on the bartender’s force sensitivity but made no comment. He hardly considered it his business.

Nar Shaddaa

“Why make a stop here, anyway? Honest clientele are not how I would describe a lot of Narsh’s population.”

"Truth is," Jasper began, "I'm making my way back to Corellia. I plan to meet up with an old friend there. Unfortunately, my tank was getting rather empty, so I'm grounded until she's filled back up. Figured I'd make a bit of cash in the meantime." He saw no reason to lie about this.

Jasper had a feeling that the Jedi might be on to him, or at least aware of more than he was letting on. While Jasper himself wasn't strong enough in the force to detect the force sensitivity of others, he knew it was a basic skill that was taught at the temple, or at least at the New Jedi Order temple. This didn't bother him too much. For all he knew, Jasper was untrained, one of the many force sensitives that was never found by the Jedi. He just had to play off any questions as obliviously as possible. So long as the atmosphere remained tame, the exile would be on his way back to Corellia in no time.

"Ah. As good a reason as any." He swiveled around to watch the other patrons, eventually turning back around and shrugging,
"I shouldn't be so critical. There's some decent people here. But they tend to get drowned out by the rest of the mess."

"Wouldn't have much reason to be here myself if there wasn't someone worth helping, right?"
Cato finished his drink and gave the glass back to Jasper for a refill.

"Still, if I know anything about this place, it's that's it's only a matter of time until the next problem rears it's head…"

Nar Shaddaa

No doubt about it, this was a Jedi. It took a special kind of crazy to snuff out crime on their own turf. Jasper would know. He was that kind of crazy. He liked to keep his priorities set on the bar, but one thing or another could easily drag him back into action, no matter how hard he tried to avoid it. Rather than responding, he simply continued to nod and respectfully listen to his patron, refilling his glass when he slid it back to the exile.

"Still, if I know anything about this place, it's that's it's only a matter of time until the next problem rears it's head…"

"They call it the smuggler's moon for a reason," Jasper noted. "This place can change hands a thousand times and I'd bet that some crime lord is lingering about. Old habits die hard."

Jasper passed the man his refilled glass. The exile wasn't wrong. Old habits did die hard. No matter what he seemed to do, Jasper's time with the Jedi was etched into the back of his mind. Even after being denied a master, their teachings were second nature to him. Suddenly, Jasper was beginning to wonder when he last slept. Thinking about his past was, for reasons he was unable to explain, incredibly exhausting.

“Tch. Try crime lords, plural.” He took a sip from the newly filled drink, “Probably more here than any other planet.”

It was a warzone. For some, more literally than others. Bigwig gangsters with a chip on their shoulder all picking fights, scuffling for territory that would change owners by the end of the month, if not the week.

Despite his disinterest in intruding, Cato couldn’t help himself as he sensed what appeared to be some degree of mixed feelings within the bartender. “You good? Maybe it’s just me but you seem a little… distracted.”

Nar Shaddaa

"Not distracted, just tired," Jasper assured. "I must admit it's been some time since I last slept. Traveling to different locations on the regular really messes up your sleeping schedule. It's been night for me for at least a week now."

This wasn't entirely false. Jasper had been struggling to sleep lately. He'd been having repeating dreams that had been plaguing his nights, the face of an old man he did not recognize. For some reason, while seeming meaningless, he would always wake with the feeling of eminent dread. Originally, he had thought of it as a fever dream, but when he went to his close friend Lana, who was proficient with medicine, she said he wasn't ill. There wasn't much he could glean from these dreams. The exile was simply having nightmares, and nothing more. At least, that's what Jasper tried to convince himself.

"You're an interesting fellow," Jasper admitted. "I don't get many chatty folks around these parts."

Half way though his thoughts, Jasper realized he didn't even give the man his name, slightly face palming in embarrassment. How could he spread the word about his bar if nobody knew who he was. Jasper was usually on top of these sorts of things.

"Oh, I don't think I ever introduced myself. The name's Jasper Kai'el."

"It's just one of my many charming traits," He chuckled, running his hand through his hair.

"Cato. Cato Harth." The knight had not even realized they were yet to introduce themselves until the bartender mentioned it.

"I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping. During my early days ah… training." He paused, realizing he had begun admitting to his jedi past unintentionally. At this point it didn't really bother him, he didn't have reason to distrust Jasper at this point. But still, you never know how some folk will act around Jedi. Cato continued, "Settling in at the temple was a real challenge. Just couldn't get used to it, didn't feel right. But given time I was able to control my doubts, my worries. And the trouble faded with it." He shrugged, "I guess I had some help from the people close to me. Dunno what I would've done if I had to go to the temple alone."

Nar Shaddaa

A tinge of pain swelled in Jasper's chest. He didn't mind that Cato had accidentally let his Jedi status slip. Jasper was already well aware of this fact. It was everything else the man had said that got to him. Jasper never knew a time before being at the temple. Where he came from or whoever his family was remained a mystery. Worst of all, despite growing up with the Jedi Order, he always remained alone. His weaker force sensitivity alienated him from his peers, who saw him as little more than a dunce. His decision to dedicate himself to the art of lightsaber combat cut him off from the masters of the temple, deeming him a reckless fool. Jasper wouldn't truly develop any form of connection until he left the order. He was fifteen then. Only in the two years he had spent in exile did Jasper fully realize how lonely he had been.

Rather than regret, a warm feeling began to flood Jasper's body. He remembered how much his connection to Dex and Lana meant to him. In a way, leaving the Jedi order might have been the best thing that ever happened to him.

"Allies are mighty important," Jasper nodded. "A wise man once told me 'the galaxy could be out to get ya, but it ain't shit if ya got friends.' Granted, he was drunk out of his mind when he said this, but the sentiment is still there."

He chose to ignore Cato's Jedi status. It didn't bother Jasper much anymore, and he didn't want a disgruntled patron to start a fight on his ship.

Nar Shaddaa

"No family," Jasper shrugged. "Got friends, though. Back on Corellia. Good bunch, they are. I think about them a lot when I'm out traveling the galaxy. I literally wouldn't be here without them. One of them was my mentor, you see. He's an old fool... but a good man. Was a bounty hunter back in the day. Turned his life around when an employer left him for dead. Decided to open up a bar. It's called the Rattled Saber if you're ever in the area. He called it that cause of a job he took back in the day, something about a Sith Warrior. He's only ever told me the story when drunk, so I've never gotten the full details."

Jasper paused. A Jedi being stationed on Nar Shaddaa alone was rather unusual. He didn't know exactly how the Silver Order operated, but he knew that something felt off about it. His order always assigned more than one to more traitorous locations, and he saw no reason for Cato's to not do the same.

"You're temple didn't assign you to Nar Shaddaa, did they?"

Cato listened to Jasper's story, idling tracing a finger along the brim of his glass. There was a pause before the bartender's question seemed to register, "...Hm? No, no. I uh, did that myself. Sitting around in a monastery was a little too passive for me. And now that the Bryn'adul threat has fallen to the wayside… mostly… I came here."

"Why do you ask?"

Nar Shaddaa

"Just trying to rationalize some discrepancies," Jasper explained casually. "I pay pretty close attention to the different places I go. I've seen plenty of Jedi around, but when it comes to shadier places, never only one. It was an educated guess if anything." Jasper shrugged, hoping his relaxed nature would cull any suspicion.

The exile glanced about his bar. There were no more patrons left. They must have departed when he had sparked up a conversation with Cato. He let out an exasperated sigh.

"Well," he shrugged, "Guess business died down. It was bound to happen eventually. I am a bit surprised though. Nothing strange happening to me on Nar Shaddaa? That's a first."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom