Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demonic Spiders: Enemies that are just friggin' unfair

Every game has them. Most games have multiples, and some unfortunate games are just chock full of them. There are enemies that are either designed to be extremely difficult intentionally, or just wind up being that way because of things that the designers didn't anticipate. Fallout's "deathclaws" are a good example; hideously fast, stupidly rugged, and can two-shot almost any PC without industrial-grade armor. Which demonic spiders really mess up your day?

Naturally, I'm creating another topic because of something on Guild Wars. And naturally, I have a story to lead off with. Each of the main dragons in GW2 has a flavor of dragon minion. The most recent set, the Mordrem, have mechanic called "retaliation." Every time you hit them, no matter how much damage you do, they will do a set amount back to you for each individual hit. This naturally obliterates quick-attacking DPS characters, but this damage ignores armor, too, which means that it can even get tanks down in a matter of seconds.

Worse, "Mordrem wolves" come with yet another mechanic called flanking, which allows them to deal tank-slaying damage if they can get behind you. And with their silly-high movespeed, pounce attacks, and the fact that there are always at least two of them, they can ALWAYS get behind you.

I died four times to a pair of them tonight and finally just said "screw it, done for the evening."

Nyxie

【夢狐】
[member="Fabula Cavataio"], you know what the problem is? Kiting. You probably aren't doing it, and if you are, you still aren't doing this because kiting is OP!

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Destiny has a Strike Mission on the moon called "The Summoning Pits" where you and 2 other mates eventually make your way to the chamber of Phogoth. A megaboss Hive Cyclops with 30 mins worth of hit points. You are supposed to play this event by: 1. entering the room. 2. spreading out. 3. keeping the mobs clear. & 4. alternating boss aggro. Alas, most of the PUGs I found myself with failed to use this easy method of victory. Rather, they: 1. remain outside the boss room in the atrium and snipe into the zone like a NOOB.

Now. The developers foresaw this and added flash mobs to punish the players who squat the door. Even going so far as to spawn a sub-boss crystal in that very outer room, on a respawn timer, which fires homing missiles to push you out. >.<''

Stubbornly, some players refuse to leave that room. Believing that the ridiculous amount of damage and pressure they are suffering is the 'Safe Zone' of the boss fight. Retreating to that forbidden destination, once again, even after having been spawned into the boss room's awesome balconies after death. And once again, the Demonic Spiders descend upon the entire party to punish that behavior. Killing every single player who would otherwise stand a chance of killing the boss. Including me.

So to all you Strike players out there who hide in that back room and cause the Champion Flash Mobs to spawn and party wipe us at the 30 min mark. I hate you forever. You cannot farm Champion Mobs during a Strike that drop neither ammo nor loot. You just get all your mates killed and warpping back to the Tower without any ammo left for their guns.

Rage/Quit,

- Love Jay :D

Sugar

Let's Have a Little Fun
Well, I'm just going to talk about Final Fantasy XIII.

It's not my favorite final Fantasy, or even all that good a game, but if I am given a game for my birthday, I do my damnedest to play it through, even if it should make me incredibly annoyed. Most of the side-quests in the game are just boss fights against Fal'cie (or maybe is Le'cie, I don't honestly remember), which are departed miserable souls that were given a quest and failed miserably.

There are minor fights and bigger fights, but each bigger fight comes with an intro. A terrifying intro scene to show how bad-ass the thing is. So, I take one of the quests. Big ugly monsters, looks like many of the ugly giant humanoid monstrosities I've fought so far. I go to the are it spawns, and approach it. It gets the cutscene. It Lumbers forward, and the boos name appears on the screen, all foreign and ominous. Then I hear a dripping noise.

The cutscene continues. There's a black, inky puddle behind the big monster.

Uh-oh.

A small unassuming fish-like thing in a bathrobe come out.

I cringe, knowing the terror that has befallen me.

In Final Fantasy games, numbers pop up to show damage and healing, to give you a frame of reference of how much you're accomplishing. The small fish thing pulls out a knife, and stabs the giant in the calf. "9999999" appears over the gargantuan beast, felling it one pathetic strike.

Oh, mommy.

This, for those of you unaware of what I'm discussing, is a Tonberry. They are one of Final Fantasy's favorite ways of humiliating you into submission. They are slow moving to the point where and action takes multiple turns in many turn-based systems. They can be outrun by any character, and relatively easy to escape. However, they have a simple attack. "Chef's Knife." In the games where it does not kill you in one hit, it does enough damage to shred your HP to fething nothing and a half in one or two attacks, unless you're overleveled. It is impossible to evade the attack in many games, they just don't miss. They waddle like cute little plushies, but I'd rather fight Dagon himself. The little monsters have ridiculous defensive stats, are excruciatingly powerful, and are immune to most status effects a majority of the time.

I know what you're thinking: Why fight them? Well, as a general rule, their knives are usually part of creating or synthesizing some of the coolest stuff in the game, including the best swords possible.

And the really annoying bit? These things looks so cute as to be completely harmless. Seriously, image search it, I'll wait. See, it's a cute little fish-man with a cook's knife and a neat little monk's robe. It's Fething adorable. And it attacks by poking you with knife and making a loud "DOINK!" noise.

I have fought dragons, warlords, M. Bison, Shao Kahn, a giant velociraptor, Genghis Khan, eleven armies, and the Gods themselves while gaming. And i have succeeded. But somewhere, deep down inside, I viscerally cringe, knowing that my powerful heroes that challenge the gods and fight the legendary summons must be wary of a midget fish-man that goes "DOINK!" in the night.

Hmmmm....

My demonic spider would be Trundle in League, the tank classes in SWTOR, and those freaking class mission bosses in FFXIV.

Friggin' Praetorians for ME2, especially when you're playing above normal.

"Did you just use your last rocket to strip my armor? It'd be a real dick move if I regenerated right now. Reeeeeal dick move."

[member="Jay Scott Clark"], I feel your pain. I am one of the few who like to be up front. I use my warlock with a Nova grenade and High melee skills. Usually I can get all of the extra mobs to get stuck in there and have a friend throw a grenade into the mass to blow them all to smithereens, all while I almost literally run up to Phogoth, melee him a few times while he is distracted, and then run to the rear of the room to throw another Nova Grenade. I know that this works because we were only able to defeat all of them when I got the Nova Grenades (I had them earlier but didn't think about using them. *facepalm*)

There was once where two friends of mine were all warlocks and had just about the same build (Varying armor and weapons) and we had a fairly easy time doing that. One person would throw their grenade, and run around the boss shooting at him with a automatic, while a second used a shotgun, or a semi-auto to pick off the mobs, while the third would melee. Each of us had Nova grenades so we could all trap the mobs, and we had an easier time doing that (Less deaths) but it took longer than we wanted (I think the longest was about an hour)

In Umbris Potestas Est
The Harvester from Dragon Age. Considered to be the worst of the bosses in the entire game. You try to kill it, and the head summons corpses capable of killing a max-level tank in three hits. You then attack it again, and it does almost no damage, summoning more corpses. This repeats until you are overwhelmed with the fething hard-to-kill corpses and die. If somehow you survive this, it turns into a scurrying head that makes - you guessed it, more goddamned corpses. And when you kill the corpses... The boss digs into another pile of bones, rejuvenates some health, and makes more of them.

I have never beaten the original Harvester. And I really don't want to try. Not after having dealt with all that nonsense.

Enigma said:
The Harvester from Dragon Age. Considered to be the worst of the bosses in the entire game. You try to kill it, and the head summons corpses capable of killing a max-level tank in three hits. You then attack it again, and it does almost no damage, summoning more corpses. This repeats until you are overwhelmed with the fething hard-to-kill corpses and die. If somehow you survive this, it turns into a scurrying head that makes - you guessed it, more goddamned corpses. And when you kill the corpses... The boss digs into another pile of bones, rejuvenates some health, and makes more of them.

I have never beaten the original Harvester. And I really don't want to try. Not after having dealt with all that nonsense.
Holy frak

Enigma said:
The Harvester from Dragon Age.
That's a Boss (understandably a tough one), not a demonic spider. An example of a demonic spider would actually be a lot of the Giant Spider encounters from Dragon Age Origins. They could range stun a party member, then pin and maul another. At a high difficulty, this is pretty much a party wipe if just the right combo of characters are CC'd (tank stun, healer maul being the most potent).

Redeads from The Legend Of Twilight Princess, Theres one room where you find two redeads and a hell lot of mummies. The redeads stun you, no way to avoid that. Then you take repetive damage from the mummies until one of the redeads hit you taking a whole heart from your health (Which is normally about 7-10 or so hearts. when you get up to it) The hit also sends you flying back. and when your getting back up you get stunned by the second redead and the process starts again until you die! Even worse If they hit you into quick stand you die and if I remember correctly there are spiders that slow you down! *Breathes heavily*

I've managed to do it twice out of all the run throughs I've done
Now every time I do a run through I always just go for the objective and just make it out with less then a full heart.

I forgot the chase scene. You have to chase down this one one guy who riding a warhog on your horse because he kidnapped your friend. Once you get close you have take of his armour one piece at a time. This it really annoying because the guy has endless boosts and spawns endless waves of guys on warhogs who shoot fire arrows at you and if you take down the archer the rider still blocks your path. Your attack also has a cooldown. Once you finally slash all of the guys armour off which can take 30 minutes to over an hour he rides onto the Hyrule bridge which then you have to joust with him.

And the oil bridge.

When you are in a wolf area you are on a centre of a bridge. A guy set the oil across the bridge on fire. The flames move insanely fast who can insta-kill you, and to escape you have to push a box to the edge of the bride so you can jump off of the bridge. To move the box a little bit takes a second. even if you know what you are doing it can still be a very close call.

God, Twilight Princess has a lot of pain in the back side areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom