Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Faction Darkwire FAQ and AMA!

4S5ImD3.png

DARKWIRE

LOGIN

var terms = [
"$(function(){\n\t$.database.get('Password')\n});",
"exec({\n\t'Password' : 'KbJ7zpQ',\n\t'Username' : 'ExO'\n});",
. . . . . . .
">>> Command Initialize 2",
. . . . . . .
">>> Return 0;",
. . . . . . .
"## Server Connected",
"## Connected",
"ACCESS GRANTED",

* --xING! COMM\ \\

Hello.

I hope your day is going well.

We haven't spoken in a long time.

I am certain you have a lot of questions.

Today is your lucky day.

I am going to answer them.

All of them.

Congrats.

tKGk0f5.png
What is Darkwire?
In Character, Darkwire is a loose decentralized network of professional criminals that specialize in influencing markets, by doing anything from discrete slicing to making an assassination look like a freak accident. These professionals are called Shadowrunners, and they take up jobs posted on the CryptNet, a secure "Dark Holonet" equivalent.
Out of Character, we are a faction that is championing stories over "Map Game Mechanics". What we mean by that is that the stories told by our members are our highest priority, and that the map game is merely the setting or backdrop for them, so every planet we possess has a story to be told at some point. We will only ever expand once we feel like we could use a new setting to play with. Our primary setting is essentially what we like to call "Cops and Robbers", where we have criminal "Robbers" ultimately working against the Corporate government acting as the "Cops". We have writers on both sides of this arrangement, and even a few who blur the line between them on a vast spectrum of interesting inter-character relationships.

Is everyone in Darkwire a Shadowrunner?
No, Shadowrunners are just the bread and butter of Darkwire. It is also composed of independent individuals who sometimes choose to work for the organization. We call these individuals not solely committed to Darkwire "Contractors", as they will take up jobs traditionally headed by the dedicated Darkwire Shadowrunners on a "Contract-by-contract" basis. Consider Contractors to be part timers for the organization, while Shadowrunners are full time members working exclusively with Darkwire. Though this is not to say that Shadowrunners are working only for Darkwire to the exclusion of all else, just that their commitment to it can't be bought out by Corporate interests, for example. Those who become Shadowrunners receive a specialized non-invasive Tattoo that confers to them the ability to talk securely face to face to other Shadowrunners from a great distance, without revealing themselves as Shadowrunners to anyone who isn't one.
Does Darkwire have a leader?
In Character, Darkwire is a network of job postings and like-minded individuals who take them on, etc. There's no singular head of Darkwire, but there are mysterious individuals, such as the Storyteller, who often sends jobs over the CryptNet. Other "people" who create jobs for Darkwire include the Darkwire Prophet, Cultist, and Maestro, but anyone with access to the CryptNet is capable of producing a mission, such as huge corporate players operating in our territory.

How does Darkwire have territory then, who controls it?
The territory on the map belongs to a government called the Corporate Authorities of Denon. These are the primary and main antagonists (and occasional employers) of the Darkwire Network. Additionally, each of these worlds are often associated with a particular individual known as a DireX, extremely wealthy, powerful, and politically influential members of the Corporate Authorities of Denon. However, at this time no player written characters will be allowed to commandeer and govern any of these worlds.

What is the Corporate Authorities of Denon? How does it work?
The Corporate Authorities of Denon (CAD) is the ruling government body for Denon, and all the planets in our factions influence cloud. It is headed by The ExO (Executive Officer) that acts as a Head of State, but most administrative tasks are handled by the Direx Board, an executive body filled by the 50 most powerful Corporate Executive Directors. The largest shares of power belong to five even more powerful Executive Directors that hold a majority share of authority together, each holding the title of "DireX" (These five are named: Marlene Starlight, Diviak Manfloon, Luminous Sun, Larz Blackheart, and Qanatain Xopsaloff). All political and financial power in the CAD trickles down from there, and this is where most of our Corporate characters operate. Corporate characters usually belong in one of two groups:
  1. They work directly underneath the most powerful members of the Direx Board (Essentially share holders in CAD), filling in roles like middle management, a part of CorpSec, etc..
  2. They are their own business owners that have decided to open their business to the planets within CAD for their own benefit and enrichment. They may or may not take part in the governing of CAD depending on their own preferences.
Corporate characters are encouraged to interact with and set up stories for the Darkwire characters, by hiring them to protect their corporate interests from rivals or to undercut competition through underhanded means, or serving as an antagonist to the criminals in some capacity (ex. CorpSec officer bent on hunting Shadowrunners).

So am I supposed to be a criminal or not? What is your stance on force users?
The beauty of the Darkwire faction is that you can be either, or even both a criminal and a corporate lackey! There is a wide spectrum of character archetypes available to you here, from being a Shadowrunner, a gang member, a bounty hunter, a police officer, a business owner, or anything really. The only thing we don't have a large focus on is force users. That is not to say that no one in our faction uses the force; on the contrary a few of us do to some extent, but we don't foster any official orders like Jedi or Sith, preferring to keep the force as a very personal matter to each individual. This is also not to say that we'd be opposed to a unique and original order of force users operating in our faction, in fact we've been thinking about it occasionally in a very loose, free form kind of way.

So Darkwire has divisions or sub groups? I had an idea of a group I wanted to try and I think it would fit inside Darkwire.
Correct, Darkwire does have a distinct division Out of Character between Darkwire the criminal organization, our corporate elements, and criminal elements other than Darkwire. However, In Character Darkwire does not have any apparent divisions or sub groups on an official basis, beyond who is a Shadowrunner and who is merely working a Darkwire job (i.e., Contractors), due to its extremely decentralized nature. If you have an idea about an internal group within the Darkwire organization, you are free to develop it, and try to get other writers to help you out with it by joining! If you have an idea about a group that will simply exist in the Darkwire Faction's wheelhouse, the same applies, you are free to develop it and we will try to accommodate it with writers and incorporating it into our faction narrative.

I-I-I was told there would be cyberpunk...
Darkwire does explore themes of cyberpunk, including the dichotomy between oppressive corporations running society and the free-thinking denizens who are (willingly or not) branded as criminals, the focus on high-tech paradigms and solutions, philosophical explorations of identity and freedoms, and plenty of opportunities to get a cybernetic implant. We're always open to new ideas to explore and write about, too, they don't have to be pure cyberpunk. We have traditional underworld elements like in a lot of Star Wars settings, our Shadowrunners in Darkwire being the primary viewpoint in our story. We're very interested in a diverse faction narrative that explores living in a society where money is king, and how each of our characters chooses to survive in it.

Can I have a lava lamp as a cybernetic arm!?
Hell yes my dude, as soon as you find some decent art for it!

tKGk0f5.png

Link to our Faction
Link to our
Discord, all are welcome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom