Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Dînum (Judgement), the Great Calamity

Status
Not open for further replies.
1750d733002c1f30404c34b881ff7800.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: One of the King's treasures
Image Source: Fate wiki
Permissions: N/A
Primary Source: N/A

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

Manufacturer: Jek Bal, the Master Blacksmith
Affiliation: Enlil
Model: N/A
Modularity: No.
Production: Unique
Material: Force Imbued Silver, Bronze, Shatterpoint

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Classification: Force Imbued Blade
Size: Average
Weight: Average

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Extremely resilient blade is durable even in long fights.
  • Has potential to wreak extreme havoc on things that it strikes.

STRENGTHS

Sword of the King: Dînum was crafted to be wielded by the King in battle against his enemies. Through the use of the Master Smith's unique craftsmanship and skillset, the blade is nigh unbreakable. It can endure a ridiculous amount of punishment without wearing down.

Divine Punishment: the King was a manifestation of the will of the gods on earth. With these words in mind, Jek Bal invested an abstract power into the blade. Imbued with the Force Power Shatterpoint, the blade has the potential to tap into the fault lines of the Force and cleave along them through whatever it touches.

This could potentially cause even Beskar armor to shatter, or a wound opened in an opponent to rip open and exacerbate. It even has the potential to tear open old, healed wounds. It is a horrible power, and one meant to be used judiciously. Due to the nature of the power, this is obviously at the discretion of the defender.

WEAKNESSES

With Great Power: if not kept stored safely, its power could cause calamity. When not in the hand of the King, it must be kept in a specially crafted sheath, or stored in a place where it cannot activate haphazardly. Simply touching the ground could hit a shatterpoint and cause small scale catastrophic damage, like a localized quake. It is a vergence in the Force, and not to be treated lightly.

All Eyes on me: When drawn, this weapon acts like a beacon in the Force. From worlds away, people can sense it. There is no hope for going unnoticed when using it, and in many cases, the feeling of dread it imposes on others can cause the wielder to be targeted explicitly.

DESCRIPTION

"The King is born into the World to balance it. He imposes order where there is chaos. He brings darkness to heel, and snuffs out light where it becomes too bright for his people to see. Great is his compassion, but equally great is his wroth. Praise the King, Fear the King."

-From the Lost Scrolls, tribute to the King

Dînum was created to mete out Judgment on the King's enemies. With that in mind, the ancient Blacksmith set to work. He crafted the weapon for his King's line, a relic that was intended to endure the test of time and pass from hand to hand for a thousand generations. Though his skill with Magic was limited, the ancient texts told of a power so great, and so horrible that the Kings of Old locked it away that none might ever hear of it again.

The time was upon them that such power might be necessary, and so, he took up his hammer and broke the seal on the Forbidden Magic.

The result was the King's Sword, but it also had another name.

They called it the Great Calamity.

Last edited:
Enlil Enlil

So, while having shatter point on a sword is fine we will have to adjust how it works. Laying it on a table and it miraculously causing the castle around it to fall might be a bit too much - and doesn't totally fit the idea of what shatterpoint is.

As per my understanding, and how this will be judged, shatterpoint works through seeing the weakest point in something - and its up to the user to hit that point. That means that in practice, this sword can't cause earthquakes unless someone was lucky enough to find a shatterpoint near a fault line, but also managed to set it off in that exact weak spot.

So that earthquake mention will probably have to be taken on. It can attack shatterpoints effectively, but it can't passively level cities by dropping it in the gutter.

So, all of the aforementioned calamities are as prescribed "potential." It doesn't automatically do these things. I was very careful in my verbiage to be explicit about that fact.

"This could potentially cause"

"Simply touching the ground could cause"

The blade doesn't just strike air and rip apart the fabric of reality. The wielder would have to specifically glean a shatterpoint by focusing on the Force and strike it in order to actively utilize that sort of fate altering power.

Likewise, not every point on an opponent's weapon is going to be a Shatterpoint; and the likelihood of a lightsaber having a Shatterpoint other than at the emitter or on the hilt somewhere is very low.

The reason that the weakness as stands is so relevant is that the larger a surface area is, the more prone it is to having weak points. If the blade were to hit none of them, nothing would happen. Simply walking along a dirt road? You might get unlucky, you might not. Standing in a palace hundreds of years old, where the floor has been walked on time and again by a multitude of people, and the load bearing points have been slowly strained into disrepair?

As always with Factory items, all of these things are at the discretion of the defender, and likewise subject to situational discretion.

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Enlil Enlil

All well and good.

Are there Canon examples of shatterpoint causing "earthquakes or worse" or that surface area effects shatterpoint? I'd imagine if it were, we could theoretically see planets destroyed by shatterpoint - and im not too keen on going down that road.

Additionally, if the shatterpoint only works when a force user strikes it with the force, then im under the assumption it doesn't do it accidently, and the weakness is sorta null and void. In that case, we do need a weakness that is comparable and combat related. Say its a dull blade, or very weak structurally, etc.

So, Shatterpoints exist in the Force and by extension in objects where the Force is present. The weapon doesn't actively target Shatterpoints. The user may do so if they're capable, but in essence, its a regular sword with the caveat that if it happens to hit that sweet spot, stuff happens. If it doesn't, it just cuts.

This particular example of pouring the Force into the "cracks," or weak points in the body (old wounds, etc) is the basis for the strength of the weapon. Those sort of weaknesses are created by wear and tear on the body- Shatterpoints born of wounds, breaks, aging.

In video game terminology, hitting the Shatterpoint is comparable to a critical hit.

As for the "planet destroying blah blah blah" I'm not really keen on having or using that kind of power so its really a non issue here. The calamities are localized to the area of effect. A building, a small stretch of land, a single item. I imagine that no Shatterpoint ever has torn an entire planet asunder, and while powerful my intention was never to scratch the surface of a superweapon and it will not be used that way.

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Enlil Enlil

I'm glad we can agree on the superweapon concern - in which case I still need the earthquake mention taken away. If the weapon can take advantage shatterpoints, thats fine. If it can break beskar or phrik, im fine with that too - that stuff is Canon and realistic. But the earthquake or worse mentions gotta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom