Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross-Over Role-Playing

I just wanted to inform everyone of our policy concerning cross-over role-playing (ie, mixing Star Wars with Avatar, Halo, Warhammer, MechWarrior, etc.) The ONLY time you are allowed to cross the Star Wars universe with other universes is in a NON-CANON roleplay. Factions wearing the banner of another universe (be it Marvel, Mechwarrior, Avatar or Halo) will not be allowed a place on the Galaxy map.

We understand fandom, which is why you can do it in Non-Canon roleplays. If you have a creative, original spin to adapt another universe's elements into our own, we'll also consider that. But for the most part, it's frowned upon.

That's our ruling on this particular discussion, but I also wanted to to get the opinion of the community. How do you feel about this ruling? Do you think it's fair, just?

Let us know below.

I think it's just. We're a Star Wars board. If you want to RP things you like from elsewhere in Star Wars, that's what non-canon is for.

You can't really expect me to bring across my Khorne Lord of Battles here and carve an Empire of Chaos out though....

The Meta

T
Well you all already know where I stand, but my reasoning in supporting it here is that I believe as long as it is believably meshed together (obviouly something like Lord of the Rings can't be here, or anything magical and the like). I will admit that I have not been the best of late in effectively attempting these things without going overboard in the borrowing aspect. There needs to be a good balance between the writer and what the reviewer says, the reviewer being the start all end all, and the writers creativity in getting around it. I have yet to find such a balance but then it comes to me asking, in your current opinion as site admin and staff member what IS acceptable in this regard? After all we have at the very least two characters who bare names outside of the universe but are considered Role play canon, but a look alike weapon or faction is disallowed?

I understand the faction more than the tech part of this arguement, but even with the faction, as long as it isn't an exact copy of whatever it is they are portraying, what is the harm? In the newest faction attempt here (Project Freelancer) I only ever intended to be as Karin Roberts expertly said as the Mandalorians without the culture, and how I compared it to Omega Pyre but without the money motivation or general morality. My goal there was to make a peace maker organization, and although it was fun to take direct inspiration of other titles the goal would not be frowned upon if they were a "normal" faction of say, human war mongerers.

What I'm trying to get at, that there is a fine line (which I've unintentially crossed before) between drawing/borrowing inspiration than copy paste. It's our job to figure a way around your road blocks, not drop a 3 ton weight over our head and say "NO!". I'd prefer a little more wiggle room but it is ultimately up to all of you.

Alpha

A
I agree with you. But we(Project) are not intending on doing a cross over. I am creating things that are usuable in the Star Wars universe. We are just using "look-alike" products. I am using tech that may be simualrly base off of a differrnt playable game or story. (Halo for instance) If i were to not use that picture for that tech fourm then it could have been accepted. (other than we arent a full faction). If this is not accetable, I will stop making tech foums.

The Meta

T
I wouldn't say that we NEVER intended upon that, but yes; in my opinion a look alike should be acceptable

I'll provide you two an example of something I'd find acceptable.

>I want to have a Colt 1911 pistol
>Say I'm using an old slugthrower pistol and link picture of Colt

Don't need new tech for that, and in effect I'm basically making a stock weapon with a more palatable appearance. That's where I stand on tech, personally.

As for say, the Meta character... this isn't a Halo board. All I'm saying on the matter. There's a difference between being influenced, and just deciding to take the entire thing out and throw a very faint Star Wars spin on it.

The Meta

T
You see, this is where I get into to trouble. Because before I ever put up anything like this I put up something that I'm thinking about where everyone can see. I get a bunch of praise and no warnings, I go through with it. I put up officially, and I get scolded like I was told from the beginning it wouldn't be accepted here.

And I've already admitted that I've crossed the line too much, and I plan to rectify this.

No one's being "scolded". And you're not the only one who's done something along these lines. The fault really lies with myself, and the lack of guidance on how to avoid causing issues with cross-overs here on SWRP.

Hence this thread.

We're still, in internet terms, a fairly new community and Staff will look into enacting preventative measures to ensure nobody else puts work into a concept only to have it denied at the very end of it's conception due to something as trivial as cross-over roleplaying.

It might not be an actual cross over, but it's a copy.

Same as if I came in here and had a tech submission for a bolter or some other 40k weapon copy. What we like to see is originality, effort being taken to make it part of the mythos and not just a copy.

As for the faction, factions are approved by staff when the time comes.

Alpha

A
Yes I was using a picture that was used in a differnet time set. and i can change that. I thought that it would be accepatable rather than use the "Modern Warfare" weapons such as a SCAR, M-4, M16, or AK-47. I was using the picture so it would match with the time period (futrueistic) if that bugs people i can change that.

The Meta

T
Well I apologize if that was not your intention to scold me, but it certainly feels like it, and it does nothing to lessen the sting.

That is why we have submissions for factions and tech, and why as time goes on we roll out new guidelines. Take the suggestions given and use it to change and alter your original ideas and I'm sure you'll hit success. :)

I feel like this has really been addressed already, but since you're asking for community input (and we all know I can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to opinion), I'll still chime in.

I personally don't look at it in terms of plausibility or acceptability, so much as does it look like fun? Is it interesting, inventive? The only issue I would find with the current situation being discussed is really just how cookie cutter it seems to the RvB series. I'm totally cool with getting ideas pulled from other universes, (especially the Freelancers, cause let's face it, they're all badasses). However, when it is (as Disciple said) pulled out of one universe, dropped in another, with only a change here or there to try and make it fit into our setting, that just doesn't strike me as fun. At most, it makes me want to find a Halo board to RP at.

really, IMO, all that would need to be done to make this idea thrive is just make it less of a blatant cross over. Change up names and titles, create your own history and purpose that is influenced by RvB, rather than taken straight from the series.

I'd like to point out, all I really know about this situation is what I've read in here. I am on my phone, can't really research, so I'm not saying all the things mentioned above were done, just am listing examples of situations. I like the freelancer idea, would just like to ensure that it's been warped and made your own, not just borrowed from Rooster Teeth.

The Meta

T
Also to be noted, as I've only just realized today is that I have completely lost my sense of time. For whatever reason I was under the impretion that I had posted my "preview" days if not weeks ago. This was only yesterday!. I think it is probably best I take a break for a while, because this is genuinely scaring me that I can no longer distinguish weeks from days. That's bad. But yes, I totally agree with what is said, everything that was copy pasted and tweak was not in the editing stage that I normally put things through, and this could be a large source of my problems. I think I'm going to make an official notice of absense soon as this is very concerning. I need a reality check.

Alpha

A
I would like to say that i did change the names and some of the tech advances on there. With the Rifle i mad it so you could have full auto, 3 round burst, and semi auto. this tech is possable becuas it is used by the US miltary currently. i was thinking on posting foums on additives like a grenade launcer on the bottom of the barrrel. I was not given a chance. I dont want to sound like im ranting. but if I can change it so it will fit the time line I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom