Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critique Asha, pl0x

So as Asha just hit Master (thanks for giving her that push Sargon Vynea Sargon Vynea ) I figured it was time I sought out some feedback on her as a character. Watcha like, watcha not like? If you've written with her what are some things I can improve upon? And if you haven't, why not?! (jkjk <3) Also please don't make this thread about my IRL absences from the site. I know, I know, I know xox
Link for the lazy: [link]

Sargon Vynea Sargon Vynea Says the stinkiest of them all? And there are brownies in the fridge for you man, all portioned and ready to go!

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

867e12ed10ad2da375381f7fc608d1d6.gif

Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor moar?!

39d4de0a8b0309a4009b1f4d08b50db5.gif

Having written with you on multiple occasions with Asha, under different characters, and the interactions with all of them, I have to approve with what you have done.

A lot of times you see Jedi Masters who are "Blademasters" or "Weaponmasters" that are all about becoming the greatest fighter against the Sith. they are fun to play and easy to do, but what makes it unique for you is you have gone the opposite way. Even making a force imbued tea kettle/pot that calms those who drink from it. A Jedi Sage in the truest intent I have seen on the site.

While yes there are many other Jedi Sages and the like, they tend to be more open for combat and directly fight with others with the force for the purpose of upholding the idea that Jedi have to fight Sith. However, you and your Je'daii roots of just wanting to "Help everyone." is what makes this character so lived. While the idea of the "Drifting Sage" fits well in line with the minor faction aesthetic of the Je'daii Enclave at the moment, I would like to see more of Asha being in situations where she is in combat and needs to get out of it without fighting, or by using form zero. So many of your threads are just making something, teaching someone, interacting with someone. Very few are of an intense situation where Asha needs to use her knowledge of her self, personal experiences, the force and whatever else to get out of it without harming anyone.

While that is my personal opinion of one of the better ways to make character growth, I see a lot of the threads you have are a growth of the spiritual/force based variety. Interactions with others, a wide range of people, as well as some returning players such as Sargon Vynea Sargon Vynea Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor Jericho Jericho and Caedyn Arenais have been a positive force for your character. Being that Sargon was a mentor/secondary father to Asha, while Caedyn as an apprentice made you learn more about yourself just as much as you were teaching him. Cotan over there is just... being cotan so not much other than being a working relationship that fits well. Its clear that the chemistry is there. I look forward to seeing how Asha and Cotan deal with each other. With Asha being a roaming Je'daii that wants to stay out of the galactic picture, while Cotan seems to be everywhere. Will it strengthen the relationship or make it fall apart?

The years you have written Asha, has shown. She is fleshed out well, and has real depth to her.

Lief Lief

tenor.gif

Making me all emotional over here, man. You're right, I do need to focus on putting her pacifism into action and putting it to the test. I have done here and there in the past, and I'm hoping that her participation in the Blue Crest can further test it. Thank you for the kind words dude, and for the suggestions!

Lief Lief

Any time hun! Like I said, I look forward to seeing what else Asha becomes later on. How far will her "Je'daii Sage" take her. And what happens because of it. If that means Ra and more Imuras are there, then so be it.

Cotan over there is just... being Cotan so not much other than being a working relationship that fits well. Its clear that the chemistry is there. I look forward to seeing how Asha and Cotan deal with each other. With Asha being a roaming Je'daii that wants to stay out of the galactic picture, while Cotan seems to be everywhere. Will it strengthen the relationship or make it fall apart?

We even addressed them in a thread between them, recently. It's a real fun case where some of the things that they like most about each other are the things that make it most difficult to stay together for any appreciable length of time; it's definitely been a bit of a sticking point with Cotan, given how much he has to run around and try and take care of things and throw himself in harm's way for the sake of everybody else, when he ultimately wants to have a peaceful galaxy so that he and Asha can just fly off into the unknown regions somewhere and never come back.

Also the part where he refuses to look for love anywhere else unless he's sure she's dead or she tells him its over, because anything else is an unacceptable betrayal of trust, even though a more normal person might start searching for a new relationship after their significant other disappeared out of nowhere (sorry, can't not mention it to some extent). Of course, Asha's also been helpful in giving some more interpersonal connections for Cotan to draw on, as well as (unintentionally) giving him a push to move outside of his original pure lightsaber-swinging warrior goodness into a more balanced (ha) manner of action, which then helps him connect with others (imagine mr. lightsaber-warrior-man-only Cotan trying to have meaningful discussions with Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill , for example; if he'd never had Asha around to push him in a different direction, he'd probably never get along with that old man).

tl;dr i'm really good at talking about myself more than the character the thread is about but she's done a lot to help grow my character so yay

I second the thought of wanting to see Asha thrown into more serious situations, where she has to directly engage in the action, rather than being a bystander-almost-turned-statistic, as has happened before. It would also be ultimate wish fulfillment if she ever ended up being the one drawing her weapons to protect Cotan, rather than the more-immediately-likely other way around. Fierce, protective, angry Asha would be an interesting thing to see.

Which leads me into my next point; a more generally emotionally open Asha would be a great thing to see, not keeping a lot of what she has going on under the surface under the veneer of serenity she presents a lot. Same with being more open about her various insecurities, too, to the people that she's close to; between the discussions I've had with you and how much more open she generally is with Cotan than around anybody else, there's certainly been a lot more of the true Asha coming out in those threads, but there's still a lot that she keeps bouncing around up in her head that even Cotan and Sargon have to struggle to get out of her, and you've already seen how that's a source of frustration with someone who is as emotionally open and honest as Cotan is with everybody around him.

She's an easy character to worry about, because she's really good at pulling in a lot of the pain and trouble a lot of other people have as her own responsibility to help with, but she really hasn't been great at seeking help for herself, or even just taking advantage of the outlets she has to get stuff off of her chest, and in the long run, that's not healthy; after all, in her own words, "You can't fill from an empty bucket."

Lief Lief

" a more generally emotionally open Asha would be a great thing to see "

Definitely something I've been trying to work on since my return to the site. And honestly something Asha IC is trying to work on too. I think our Cloudbusting thread should definitely help with that, and from there we'll see how it develops!

Also I'm totally down for an Asha-protecting-Cotan scenario one of these days. bc I know she would.

Caedyn Arenais

C
Lief Lief

I've been wondering how to summarise your character, or how to even do your writing credit by offering feedback here without it coming off as straight bias to your benefit. Asha Hex has been the most impressionable person in Caedyn's life alongside his parents and it's her teachings that separates him from other Jedi on the board today due to his traditional beliefs and upbringing within the Je'daii. Something he holds close to his heart <3

But alas, this is about you! And let me just say I've always been impressed with your writing, that's certainly not something I feel needs any advice or work on. You've always had a way with words when it's come down to describing the Force, especially the mystical side of the subject through Asha's eyes. There's a level of comprehension displayed in your writing that I have always struggled with when trying to define or explain how to draw from the more advanced techniques of the force. Flow-walking for example, that thread that we shared between Veiere and Asha was mind-blowing to me when we first began!

As for the Je'daii Order, while others have tried (including myself), there really hasn't been anyone to grasp and lead a truly influential Je'daii group on Chaos with real success beyond yourself and those you have inspired in the past. You've got all the lore down and you write the Je'daii with a familiarity that I would hope I have of the Jedi, or someone like Carnifex would have of the Sith - It's your perfect setting. I'm truly glad to see you back and having another go at it, driving that muse forward again :)

Regarding suggestions:
There's really not a lot I can say here. It would be a different story if you were a Sith or a Jedi, someone with a particular alignment, yet being all about balance and neutrality, I can't really think of something.

I suppose I would ask what sort of impact or response the Je'daii would have regarding the warring/turbulent state of the Galaxy and how they might seek to influence that side of chaos (Not the Map-Game but the IC side of it all).

...Yet at the same time, I wonder if the Je'daii would seek to get involved at all. I imagine far more the humanitarian response..-But to see it on a larger scale influencing other factions, if that's something you'd aim to do, I dunno. It's not so much a suggestion as opposed to a "I wonder what that'd look like".

Otherwise, Cae still refers to Asha as his Master and always will <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom