Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Companies and Minor Factions

Myra

M
So, I don't really understand why Minor Factions are limited in the factory if all it takes to go around that is to do a company sub? I feel Companies and Minor Factions should be equal OR that in order to get a company you have to have X amount of posts or have to actually apply to get one. Because, I mean, seriously, all I need to do to give my minor faction the same fire power as a major is to create something for a company with my faction name then "Military Industrial Complex" added afterwards and boom, I'm golden.

Anyway. I just think you guys should either

A. Give minors the same power as a company, either by buffing minors or by debuffing companies

B. Make companies harder to get then a simple factory sub

C. Get rid of the restrictions entirely on what group can make what.

[member="Myra"]

The problem with this line of thinking is that making a company DOESN'T put you on the same level as Major factions. Sure, it allows you to go up to 3,000 meters on ships, but you still can't field entire fleets of the stuff like a major faction could (also not to mention you still can't sub an SSD)

Companies and Minor factions are already on relatively equal terms. The only remarkable difference comes from their production capabilities, as a company can produce larger military and civilian ships and a minor faction can't. I also think you're mistaken when it comes to a company having the same firepower as a major faction, as the restrictions on their ships are exactly the same as a minor faction. A company may produce large(r) ships, but they can't field them in battle.

While the coding could do with a polishing, I'd recommend re-reading the twinned tables in the Factory Standardized Rules for clarification.

Ravenfire

King of Pumpkins
Companies used to have a crazy amount of restrictions on them to get certain perks. Let's not go back to that.

But both [member="Voph"] and [member="Khonsu Amon"] are right. Major factions and companies are on different levels. A major faction can have vessels up to 5000 meter ships at limited while a company or minor faction can only field ships at 3000 meters and they have to be captained by a player character. Yes a company could make ships larger but in terms of the scheme of things wouldn't be able to have enough people to actually perform all the duties such a ship would require. While a major faction would have plenty of people to call upon to field something like that.

[member="Myra"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Myra said:
A. Give minors the same power as a company, either by buffing minors or by debuffing companies
After looking at what a company and a minor can manufacture, I'll agree*.

I see no reason that minors and companies can't currently build similar ship sizes of the "combat" type. Especially since they already share the same category for "What can be fielded: Minors and companies: Within reason."

*But then again. Companies are just "one-player factions" anyway and should be nerfed into oblivion and then slayed upon the alter of sacrifice. But that's just me.

Myra

M
[member="Tom Taff"] [member="Khonsu Amon"] [member="Voph"]

I'm aware of the fielding table, but that's not really what I'm talking about. No one could realistically hope to deal with a major faction in combat simply because the major has more players, so only majors can fight majors realistically.

Honestly it boils down to this:

If all it takes for me to get around this wall of how big my ships are is to write a poorly worded company sub that no one but me will read, then what's the point of having that wall in the first place? It just seems a little silly. So again, either make companies harder to get but not restrict them too much or equalize what companies and minor factions can produce. It'll just make keeping track of things easier and lets roleplay be more open.

[member="Myra"]

I can understand where you've coming from, but let me offer an alternative situation to you.

A minor faction could simply be a crime family, or a padawan pack as well, while a company can be something like Kuat Drive Yards that had more ships and power at its disposal than many planetary governments. In creating the current rules the site staff have had to look at a wide range of possibilities and settle on a situation which is the best for everyone.

While you might not want to make a one product company you do have other options, your nomad faction could go to an existing company and ask for their help in creating their giant roaming ship. It can provide you with some additional opportunities for RP if you'd like, or just prevent you from creating a company for a single submission.

Not all minor factions are built to produce things, but all companies are, especially with the current iteration of the factory. The system as it currently works is the best set up to meet the needs of everyone who might get involved on the board.

Myra

M
[member="John Locke"]

I suppose you're right. I didn't really think of it that way, I was also just tired and a little bugged about things. Sorry if I cam off as a little childish. But thanks for taking the time to respond!

(Also I'm really sorry I edited the post right as you posted so now it seems like you mention nomads for no reason, I was just told I sounded childish and like an idiot so I changed it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom