Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Communion

Tegaea Alcori Tegaea Alcori

Elpsis snorted derisively. "Daughter of Fire sounds like a cheesy holo-show." Hopefully Siobhan or Royal were not listening in. Otherwise they might get ideas. "All I want is to be myself and contribute in my own way, instead of having my surname hanging like a chain around my neck. And I'm not running after anyone's approval anymore. I'm not here for someone to give me a pat and a medal" She hesitated for a moment, looking doubtful, then accepted the hug.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan
It wasn’t a tight or a long hug, but Tegaea needed it, even if she’d find it hard to admit.

“And I respect you more for it in a way. If you had asked you could have been fast tracked for high command. The fact you haven’t is commendable either for what you want to do, feel you can do, and feel responsible for.”

“Good luck tomorrow, Elpsis. If there’s anything you need from us for your mission you only need say.”

Elpsis scoffed at that. "No one would take me seriously. Everyone would know I only got there because of who my mother is. Siobhan would dismiss anything I say that's not praise for her. She picked me because I was the only one left. So why turn into something that ain't me? Better be somewhere I can actually help people."

Siobhan had pushed her into being the heir, after she had run out of daughters who were old enough to fight and lead. Elpsis had been the sole survivor of the brood, and was the most martially accomplished. Truth be told, Siobhan had put her on the spot. Elpsis had been touched for her apparent concern about the injuries she had sustained fighting Matsu and her praise for her prowess. Moreover, she had wanted to belong. To decline would have felt like turning her back on her family. But Tephrike had changed her.

For a long time, Tegaea had been content to stand on the sidelines and play the part of the mother who was nice, but would not stand up for her daughter. Now she had decided to speak out in her favour - for now. Elpsis pushed the bitterness. Being sent away was fine with Elpsis. She was made for the frontier, not a palace. The Lifeweb helped those who helped themselves instead of dithering and waiting for salvation. "Anyway, I gotta get going. Got some Imperial arse to kick. Killing Imperials is duty. May the Lifeweb surround you." So many cults, so many strange blessings.

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
“May the Force be with you, dear. Keep safe,” Tegaea said. She gave her daughter a final pat on the back and then let her go. There was most definitely some grievances there, some right, some wrong in Tegs’ mind.

Still, she headed back to see Sio. Her wife was not there, possibly gone to meet with Royal or somewhere else.

Regardless, Tegaea headed to the bedroom. It was late and she was tired, and she knew Siobhan would understand where she had gone.

She considered Elpsis, feeling a touch of anxiety about the next day. She just had to trust her daughter’s instincts.

"I do pray for you, you know. The kids, too. Even Siobhan," Elpsis said quietly, as she walked to the door. "Tell the kids hi from me. I'll try to get Addy a stormie helmet or something." Without waiting for a response, she crossed the threshold.

There was no sight of Siobhan or the kids, and Elpsis was grateful for that, albeit for different reasons. She suppressed a sigh as she left the villa. Fishing her comm out of her pocket, she sent a couple messages. There was a lot that needed to be done. And tomorrow would be the big day.

Stop being dramatic. It's op planning, she chided herself. Then it's the big day. She felt a stab of anxiety. Was she ready? Was she good enough to lead? Had she trained the squad well enough? Was she picking the right members? It was not herself she was afraid for, but them. Woman up, Red. You're in the army now.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
“I’m glad someone does,” Tegaea said with a raised eyebrow. It was quite the reverse of the stereotypical religious parent and disbelieving child. But then she was gone. Tegaea gathered her hair a little more tidily and headed to the other room.

Siobhan would likely be around and Tegaea would join her for the evening.

Elsewhere on the Arx, since day and night were artificial conceptions work and life carried on in many sectors at all hours.

The next ‘day’ would dawn…metaphorically. The hanger bay designated for the mission was guarded by a trio of Qadiri soldiers in battle armour and armed with Mk2 bolters. This was clearly the place as these were proper soldiers, not just guards. As soon as they saw Elpsis they waved her inside, and one of them fell in beside her.

“Lieutenant, Sergeant Jai Katala at your service. The Captain is seeing to the shuttles and final preparations,” they said in accented, but good, Basic.

"Cool. Then let's get moving- Do you know if any of my squad have shown yet?" Elpsis asked.
"There is a short male. He is covered in a fur and carrying armaments taller than him," Jai Katala answered.
"I think I know who you mean," the Fire Princess said knowingly.

When they reached the hangar, Elpsis could make out Hasana in the distance, but the Captain seemed occupied with her team. So she saw to her own people first. Or rather the sole member who was already there, Sergeant Vagt Bwi'kat. He was carrying a crate and had slung a grenade launcher over his back. The Bothan being punctual did not surprise Elpsis. She was a light sleeper and an early riser, but he still managed to be up earlier. When people thought of Bothans, most pictured a devious spy or sleazy politician.

Yet Vagt looked like he had been born encased in battle armour. Elpsis approached him, and seeing all the heavy equipment, drew upon the Force to lift a heavy crate and levitate it towards two soldiers who were filling up the ship. "Lieutenant Alcori," he said, looking up. "First Squad is getting suited up. Their tardiness has dropped by eleven point two percent."
Jai Katala gave her an odd look and Elpsis suppressed a sigh. "He likes statistics. It's a thing," she muttered. "Good. They know this is the real deal?"
"They've been informed this is a combat drop, though no details. I understand our enemies are Imperials."
"First Order scumbags and slavers. We go in, kill the Imps, rescue the slaves. When we're done, I don't want to hear a single Imp breathing, but we must be smart about it. Last thing we want is for their captives to die because we were careless. The slaves are chipped, but we're working on a way to counter this."

The Bothan seemed to consider this for a moment. His fur rippled gently. "Safely rescuing hostages is a challenge even for veteran units. Even more so for a rookiee squad that's so...disparate. That makes this a splendid test."
Elpsis felt perplexed by this logic. "This isn't about a score or proving how badarse we are. It's about doing the right thing and making scumbags pay."
"You misunderstand. I do not disagree. This is a mission of utmost seriousness. That will give our soldiers incentive to perform in a way a milk run would not. If they have the souls of soldiers, the daunting odds will drive them to push past their weaknesses and pass through the crucible. Or they'll fail."
"They'll succeed and come back in one piece, if I have anything to say about." Elpsis declared, trying to sound more confident than she felt. If you try not to get anybody killed, you end up getting everybody killed, the more cynical part of her thought. I still have to do my duty. "Several of them have some experience. They did well in the training, but no simulation is anything close to the real thing. This is their first real fight as a team."
"A true soldier craves a fight like a Nexu craves fresh meat. They will be eager, even if they soil themselves once the shooting starts And they will look to you to to stand there like a stone wall, even if you feel you're just winging it," he pointed out.
Elpsis felt a stab of annoyance at it being so transparent that she'd been doubting herself. She clamped down on it. "A good solution applied with vigour is better than a perfect one ten minutes later, huh?" she asked rhetorically.

"Preparing a speech to motivate the class? Fortunately, I don't need pep talks," a deep contralto suddenly interjected as Nyssa waltzed into the hangar. "You know I'll pull through, so will you. So that's the two most important people."
"No, only complete mission success is acceptable, Lieutenant. For that goal, each of us is equally expendable," the Bothan corrected her seriously.
"Suit yourself. My goal is to win and come home with a collection of Vader masks in my backpack and a grateful ex-slave on my arm. Maybe one on each arm," the Pureblood retorted. "So we're working with the sand elves on this?"
Elpsis nodded. "Yes, Hasana Jai Anhala's lot. Seems tough. Committed. And don't call them sand anything. They're Firemane soldiers just like us." Her tone was firm.
Nyssa looked almost offended. "You think I mean to disparage them? Why would I look down on them? Because they are new to the stars? I saw their kin do battle on Tephrike. They have a strong spirit."
Despite herself, Elpsis was a bit bemused. "Are you telling me you've gone soft and turned into a paragon of racial equality over night?"
"Don't be daft."

Slowly people started arriving up. The first of them was the unlikely pair of Natalie and Mara. The Essionian walked with confidence, while Mara hung back a little. "Elpsis, uh, Lieutenant Alcori," the Tephriki corrected herself, looking a bit embarrassed at her slip.
"Mara, you're not my subordinate. It's Elpsis to you."
"Right, of course. Sorry. Anyway, Natalie has created a device that should allow you to free the slaves."
"You worked on it too, Mara," Natalie reprimanded her firmly. Rather than armour, she wore a light combat suit. Her blue eyes were hidden behind glareshades. "Don't sell your own contributions short. Otherwise they will be drowned out by people who can't stop bragging about their accomplishments, real or imagined."
"The knowledge that it will serve a good cause is its own reward," Mara opined piously. "Though I thank you."
"You can explain how it works when we meet Anhala."

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

Hasana meanwhile was dressed in her combat armour, weapons at herself, helmet retracted. She glanced over at where Elpsis had arrived.

“Alright, she’s here. Jai Katala, get everything ready. You all know your duties. We’re here to rescue those who still suffer in chains. We broke free, and we will give them the hand to break their chains too. All of you will look to your duty and remember that although we are new to the void they are just people. People can be killed, but they can kill you too. I want no bravado and stupid gallantry, I want you all to hold to your training, to your comrades, and to keep an eye on our goal. Right, let’s go.”

Hasana turned and led her group over to where Elpsis seemed to be finishing up.

“Lieutenant Alcori is our ally in our fight against the enslavers. We will gladly aid you in this fight. These are my best troops, and we will not let you down.

You’ve met Cyrana, my Sergeant. She has a habit of beheading those who would oppress the innocent.

Darana Jai Anhala here is my lieutenant and second in command, she has been trained somewhat by your own Order of Fire with the lightsabre.

Xyral Jal Daesha is my communications and engineering expert. He is well trained in the modern technologies.

Ochus Jal Madhak is my sniper. The guns have changed since he used a jezail to shoot down Xio at Krolis, but his accuracy has not.

Phrana Jai Kamal is my gunner. She’s got one of those plasma shotguns your bosses made.

Narseha Jai Saobana is my explosives girl. She was building grenades from clay pots and gunpowder before any of you arrived from the void, and she’s developed a liking for thermal detonators.

Finally, I’ve got Kavadh Jal Anhala here, he’s my blaster. You’ll like him, he can summon fire to incinerate our enemies.”

The Qadiri offered a salute to Elpsis. They all looked very tough, very experienced. All of them had scars, all of them looked disciplined and relentless.

Elpsis was busy, but caught part of Hasana's speech. The Captain's aura, words and very stance showed her confidence. She was used to leading. Doubtless her soldiers respected and trusted her. Did Elpsis' trust her? She doubted it. Respect is earned, not given free of charge, she reminded herself. She steeled herself. Hasana walked over and introduced her squad. Unlike Elpsis', all of its members were already there. "I approve of beheading scum," Elpsis remarked with a nod towards Cyrana. "You're probably better at using a glowstick and tech stuff than me," she remarked when Hasana introduced the squad's resident lightsabre duellist and tech expert respectively.

"Looking forward to burning slaver scum with you," she said when Hasana introduced the last member, a pyromancer. She returned the salute. "You're new to space, I'm new to command. But I've seen Qadiri in battle before and they've kicked arse. So let's kill some scum." She glanced to Hasana. "Part of my squad's here, the rest is arriving..." Fortunately the thump of boots on the ground was filling the hangar, as a
group of soldiers clad in Firemane battle armour arrived. "You said their tardiness had gone down," Elpsis muttered in an aside to Sergeant Vagt Bwi'kat.

"Gone down, not gone away," the Sergeant said flatly. "Alright, ladies, get moving. Time to do your hair, tentacles and what not is over." Strictly speaking, the squad had one male soldier, but Vagt did not feel like wasting words. Nuroch was probably secure enough in his masculinity to accept that. "By direct order of Lady Kerrigan, you have the honour of participating in your first combat op as a unit. The enemies you face will be real, so will the blaster bolts they fire at you. They will aim to maim and kill you. You will return the favour and fight them to your last breath, or I'll beat you with a stick myself."

"Finally. I've been spoiling for a real fight," a Togruta female declared. "I've been growing bored here fighting mere remotes and droids.
"I'm sure they'll run away in terror the moment you charge them," a Twi'lek snarked. "The rest of us will just have to follow you and mop up."
The Togruta huffed. "I have consistently attained high scores in simulations. I did beat the Magnaguard, after all. Unlike you, I don't need to sneak around an enemy. I let them taste my blade."
"Good, means you can catch all their bolts. Maybe that will shut you up," a Nautolan grumbled. "So who is our target, ma'am?"

"First Order slavers. Scumbags," Elpsis responded. She stepped forward. "This isn't about personal glory, or scores. So if anyone thinks this is their big moment to play hero, put your weapons away and go. We're here to do the right thing. Some of you know what it's like to be in chains. To have no choice. No freedom. Today, we're gonna help people who still live in chains, and kill every single one of the scumbags who put them there. Anyone who's an Imperial burns. Anyone who's an enabler burns. Remember that."

There was a brief moment of silence. "You had me at slavers," the Twi'lek said. There was fire in her eyes.
"I am new to the stars," a thin, scarred Rattataki girl said quietly. "But I was in chains once, and will gladly make slavers pay. What is this...First Order? Are they humanists"
"Fascist, Imperialist bastards," an Eldorai soldier spat hatefully. "Like to gas civilians. Or crucify them."
"They are your Vaderites then," the Rattataki concluded. "Then they shall die. Killing humanists is duty."

"Wasn't a slave," a tough-looking, dark skinned woman from Dahomey said. "But I knew people who were. Wouldn't want that for anyone. So I'm down. Just a question: she's coming with us?" she pointed to a solitary woman with a partly shaved head and dressed in battle armour. "Wasn't she imprisoned for, you know, being with the enemy?"

"Oh, you see, Private, the leashed Jedi is your newest comrade. Here to convince us that she's not so bad by killing people we want dead," Nyssa declared.
"I am here as part of my oath to Master Alcori," Diona said simply. "If my penance requires me to give my life in this battle to save one of you, then so be it. If it means I fight a hundred battles, so be it."
"Pardon me, ma'am, but I wouldn't turn my back on a former enemy," Reverence opined.
Nuroch scoffed. "I remember the time when she held the knout. She was vile as any of the other Jedi master. Slavers all."
"And this isn't a debate," Elpsis interjected sharply. "She used to be our enemy. She also helped me escape Serene Springs." Her vacant fell on the former Jedi in question. "Private Diona, you've been informed of the terms based on which you've been accepted into this platoon?"
"Yes," Diona responded simply, but earnestly.
"Then you know you've been a chance. One chance. If you harm anyone in Firemane or someone under it's protection, I will kill you myself."
"Yes." A pause. "It is just that way."
"Good. If anyone has drama, leave it in the hangar. Because where we're going now, it's us or them. The mission's what matters, nothing else." Without giving anyone any chance to talk back at her, she gestured to Hasana. "Overall command falls to Captain Jai Anhala. We'll be handling our zone, she'll and her people will be handling theirs. We work together, kick arse and rain on the jackboots' parade." It was clearly introduction time, so she gestured to each of the members of her team.

"The Bothan with the grenade launcher is Vagt Bwi'kat. He's my Sergeant and loves a big bang a lot more than spying.
The Pureblood is Nyssa Vykaris. She's a duellist and helps with training. Likes killing any Sith who's not red enough and collecting their sabres.
The Rattataki is Corporal Rhea. She's from Tephrike. We fought our way through a brainwashing camp together. She's good at sneaking, stabbing and can electrocute fools.
Diona...used to serve the Dominion. But I wouldn't have made it out without her...or Rhea. She can fight with a sword, buff and support.
Celaena Eilris, the Eldorai over there, is our fire girl. She survived Kaeshana after it became a hellhole, and likes to turn her enemies to ash.
Sano Tahoka is a duellist and pilot. She's got some training with a lightsabre." Fortunately, Sano had the sense not to give a speech about how it had been more than just a little training!
"Zhaleh Jai Bijana is the most unusual type of Qadiri: an ice girl from Tygara's arctic. Between Celaena, her and me, we don't need an oven or a fridge. And she can freeze arseholes to death.
The Twi'lek is Sienn Bondara. She can sneak, shoot and get broken, primitive machines working again.
Reverence is from Dahomey. That planet breeds tough people and she's no different. She's our puncher and close combat girl.
Nuroch's the only male other than Vagt, but I don't think he's complaining about the view. He's from Tephrike and can bend minds.
The Vash is Shikoba. She heals us after we get banged up and can summon spirits from the Nether to drag scum into hell.
The blonde who's wearing shades indoors is Natalie Dorne. Not a formal part of the squad, but she's a great sniper and slicer."

"Let's be honest, I'm a terrorist," Natalie stated bluntly. "Truth be told, I'm more used to hostage-taking than hostage rescue, but I'll wing it."
"Right." Elpsis was unsure whether to feel annoyed about the interruption or not. "Anyway, she and Mara have come up with something to free the slaves without them getting blown up. More on that a bit. Mara handles communications and slicing. She grew up under tyrants on Tephrike, but had the strength to rebel against them. She helped Firemane find the camp I was in." She could not see it, but she was certain Mara was blushing strongly.

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

The Qadiri in Hasana's group stamped in approval at Elpsis' words and introductions, the common sign to show appreciation in a case like this.
"Very good, I think we'll get on just fine," Hasana said. She glanced along the ranks, nodding. "Yes, the battle is going to be hard, but it's one we can win. Though this is our first battle combined I have heard enough to trust you will do your part. Now, Mara, you have a device?"

Mara looked like a deer in the headlights, but Natalie gave her an encouraging nod. Well, a nod anyway.
"Well...I helped a little bit with it, but it works by replacing the signal coming from the collars to the transmitter. If we simply disable the connection that will trigger the explosive collars, so this is mimicking the connection."
She trailed off.
"Each of you will get one of these signal transceivers and some EMP patchs to break the link and free the prisoners," Natalie finished. "Make sure you have the transceiver with you when you do the deactivation. Simply place the patch over where the implant is and zap, will fry it. Don't try and remove the collar, it's a fake."

Hasana nodded. "Good. Now the basic plan is simple. We approach the station with these stealth transports, land on the asteroid and cut our way into the mining tunnels. Take them by surprise and avoid the hangers entirely. We have a frigate and corvette on call to move in to assist with extraction as we know they have some interceptors. That'll make an extraction more tricky unless we have our own counters, so one of our own squadrons will be coming in to assist."

She looked to Elpsis. "Lieutenant, I believe you have specific intel on the interior like the commander, defences and such?"

"According to our intel, there's about twenty to thirty bucket heads there. Stormtroopers. Expect standard Firsty gear. I've never seen the Firsties use any specialised anti-Forcer gear, but word is they're copying Firemane designs, so we may run into bolter knockoffs. You know that what means, girls?" she addressed her team.
Zhaleh, a young Qadiri woman from the icy north of Tygara, raised her hand shyly. "Uh, do not call upon the spirits to push the projectile away?" she asked a bit uncertain.
"Yes, exactly. Because it'll blow up in your face. Dodge, shield if you can't, crush the gun," Elpsis stated. "Moving on, the commander also has some mining droids repurposed for combat and to terrorise the slaves. They got drills, saws and all that."
"Need heavier ordnance," Vagt muttered, looking at his grenade launcher critically.
"That's not their biggest toy though. They've got a special war droid hidden away in a special bay. If our source is to be believed it's as big as an AT-ST and about as well-armed. Beyond that, the defensive layout is standard. Auto-turrets, ray shields, and an emergency vent system."
"A machine that big won't be able to move through the entire facility, unless they built the corridors extra large. Imperials always like things impractically big and grandiose," Natalie said dryly.
Elpsis nodded. "Yeah, I figure the big one is dormant till they need it and they have the others patrol around to frighten the slaves."
"I assume they're not that stupid to slave-rig their droids like the TradeFed, but it would be useful if we could mess with their droids' IFF a bit," Natalie added.
"Any word on the Vader Fanboy Brigade?" Nyssa threw in.
"Ren? Nah." Glancing at the team, she added for the benefit of the Tygarans and the Tephriki. "Ren are their Sith wannabes. Like their Vader masks, red glowsticks and murderous tantrums."

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Hasana listened carefully, and when Elpsis was finished she clapped her hands together.
"Good! We'll need a way to take out that droid. Narseha, take the Deathstrike with you, Phrana will back you up. You'll only get one shot, so make it count."
"Aya, Captain!" they said with a salute. Narseha Jai Saobana looked like an unusually large and burly female Qadiri, able to carry the weight of a Deathstrike Type 1 launcher and other weapons too. Phrana looked a little less enthused about lugging a missile around, but it was clearly important.

She turned to the rest. "This will be a dangerous mission. Getting the slaves out is the number one priority for my command. Destroying the blueprints and fake technology will be your priority, Lieutenant. We'll keep in touch constantly."

Hasana turned to Natalie. "Thank you for joining us, even if you are not an official member. I will be relying on you and Xyral to cut...no slice...the electronics and provide us details and counter their attempts to uncover us."

"Is there anything more?"
"Black flag, Captain?" Darana asked in accented basic.
Hasana nodded. "The black flag means we take no prisoners. Those that surrender unless they hold important information are too dangerous to keep alive. They will enslave and torture any of us we capture, so we must strike ruthlessly and finally. Clean kills. Is there anything more, Lieutenant Alcori?" she asked.

Natalie looked a bit bemused. "Language is a strange thing, isn't it? Same words, entirely different things. There's things to cut sometimes. Usually when there's a bomb. Hopefully that won't be necessary."

The Black Flag Order produced understanding from the Tygaran squad members, who nodded. The Eldorai and the Tephriki could grasp its meaning easily enough before Hasana elaborated on it. Sano Tahoka, however, looked a bit uncertain. "Ma'am, do I understand this correctly? We are supposed to...summarily execute prisoners of war?" she asked, looking at Elpsis.
Celaena snorted. "Getting cold feet, Princess? Guess your simulations weren't like the real thing, huh?"
"They're slavers," Sienn said simply and with unexpected steeliness, as if that explained everything. Reverence put a calming hand on the Twi'lek's shoulder.
"Humanists. They do not deserve to live," that came from Rhea.
"I know how vile they are...but there are rules. In the civilised Galaxy..."
"Who are you calling uncivilised, you pompous..," Celaena growled, but was cut off before she could finish what was no doubt going to be a scathing tirade.
Elpsis could see things might get out of hand or be derailed. The Sergeant looked at her, but she shook her head. She had to handle this herself. "Enough," she said sternly. As much as she agreed with the sentiment, ganging up on the recruit would not be beneficial. "As Captain Jai Anhala said, they're scum. They murder or enslave innocent people. They'd gladly do the same to any of you. People who violate the laws of war can't expect to be protected by them. That said, don't prolong an enemy's suffering. Shoot them in the head, then move on. High-value prisoners are to be restrained so that they can be questioned. Make sure they have no chance to be a threat. You've all been issued cuffs."
"If in doubt, just shoot them in the kneecaps. They need to be able to talk, not walk," Nyssa threw in.
"Understood, ma'am," the Togruta responded a bit chastisted.

"Where I come from, we shackle raiders, drop them in an icy hole and cover it," Zhaleh remarked thoughtfully. "One of your light bolts to the head is kind. I am new to this, but I shall do my duty."
"Yes, this is all very nice, can we get going then?" Shikoba asked a bit huffily.
"Now that's the spirit. Sienn, you're on point. Rhea, work with her. Use your skills to strike stealthily where possible. Nuroch, you're on mental support duty."
"I'd rather be fighting upfront," the Nautolan grumbled. "Instead of sitting pretty far from the action."
"And you'll be in the rear, using your skills. It's not about glory, but what's best for the team. Shikoba, work with him. Do your Nether thing and take care of any wounded. Sano, Nyssa...Diona, you're best in close quarters. If we run into any Ren, target and destroy them as a priority. Otherwise deal with Stormies. Reverence, you've got the repeater. Celaeni, you and I will burn some chit and go for the bots. Vagt, that's your job, too. Zhaleh, you're ranged support. Let’s go then. May the Lifeweb surround us."
"You heard the Lieutenant. Come on you apes, or do you want to live forever?" Vagt bellowed...because he was a drill sergeant and thus had to use one-liners like that once in a while.
"I am not a monkeigh," Celaena muttered indignantly under her breath.

As the soldiers started to file into the transport, Mara approached Elpsis. "Hey," she said a bit shyly. "I suppose this is goodbye."
"For a day or two. I'll be back before you know it. I'll see if I can get you a present. Maybe a First Order cogitator?"
Mara chuckled a bit. "I wish I could come with you...but, well, I would get in the way."
Elpsis patted her hand. "You've done your part. That thing you and Nat made will save lives. We'll make sure the slaves know."
Mara blushed quite strongly. "Just get the slaves out," she said intently. "And make their captors pay. Take care of yourself." As these words left her lips, she gave Elpsis an awkward hug. The soldier stiffened a but returned it, though she kept it loose to keep the clone from being crushed by her armour.
"Don't worry about her, computer girl," Nyssa interrupted, giving Mara a slap on the shoulder. Her yellow eyes followed the squad as it embarked. "Children. They'll get some sense once the bolts start flying, or not."
"Let's move."
"Hold the fort while I'm gone," Natalie instructed Mara as she grabbed her equipment.
The clone looked a bit perplexed. "The fort? I do not understand."
"Figure of speech. Feel free to browse the magazines I left."
"Ashira's Angels?" Nyssa asked.
"Computer journals. I actually read useful things." With that out of the way, the group embarked on the transport. Wordlessly Diona followed Elpsis onto the ship, avoiding contact with the group. She looked awkward in her Firemane armour, but resolved.

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Hasana listened to the discussion. She nodded.

“I’m afraid, Tahoka, that the ‘civilised’ galaxy is a falsity we tell ourselves. There were rules of war at home; rules broken at a whim by those who chose to. I do not easily give this order, but I know that for all the technology of this galaxy that we have entered people can be just as barbarous as in my home. These enemies gave up any right to mercy when they put our people in chains even when there are better, more effective methods. Slavery is about power, and I will never willingly let another have power over my people that way again.”

Her voice was quiet but resolved. No one could doubt how serious she was.

“But enough of that. We have our orders, we have our plans, let’s put them into action.”

There was still some loading of equipment, and Hasana put her squad to work loading both units’ equipment into the shuttles, first working on Elpsis’, then her own.

As she was hauling a crate aboard she found herself beside Rhea.

“Corporal Rhea, yes? Your Lieutenant sent me briefings of your unit. I was impressed with your story, it is not easy to break free and rise to battle. Chains do not need to be visible links of metal to hold one, but you broke them. Today we will break more.”

The two squads proceeded to load up equipment. To speed things up, both groups worked together, first loading up the crates holding the gear of Elpsis' squad, then Hasana's. Incidentally, Hasana's squad still needed a name. Unsurprisingly, Nyssa loaded up the biggest and heaviest crate she could find. She was, after all, a Pureblood. Ordering minions around and tossing heavy bundles like they were made of feathers was what she did.

Reverence hauled a less heavy, but still big crate aboard, taking advantage of her strength. Out of the corner of her eye, she spied Sano using telekinesis to levitate a crate into the shuttle. "Hey, Princess, why don't you stretch your muscles? Get some sweat on those white head-tails," she called out to her teasingly.
"It is more efficient my way," Sano said a bit haughtily, but not inaccurately.
"Not for your stamina," the Dahomian countered good-naturedly. "And it's all about stamina, isn't it, Sienna?" she asked rhetorically, causing the Twi'lek to blush.

Rhea had been hauling a crate when she suddenly heard Hasana. The Rattataki was thin and evidently lifting the crate was not easy for her, but she persevered. She turned slightly to look the Qadiri in the eyes. "I was weak. Now I am not anymore, and I shall not be again. Every slaver I kill makes me stronger and the world better."

Though she would not admit it, hauling a heavy Echani graphite crate filled with ordnance was not easy for Elpsis. She could have used the Force to levitate it, but she refused. Her only concession to her not fully healed injuries was drawing on her powers a bit to pour some extra strength into her muscles. If Nyssa had not noticed, she did not come over. Elpsis appreciated that about the Pureblood.

Stop being pathetic, she chided herself. Her left hand had been maimed on Tephrike and she was getting used to the new fingers. As she lifted up the crate, she felt an intense pressure in her injured leg. The pyromancer winced, and the crate trembled in her grasp. Then suddenly it stabilised in the air and part of the weight was taken off her shoulder.

She locked eyes with Diona. "Your injuries are still fresh," the former Jedi said simply.
"Let go and get on board. I don't need your help." Elpsis said through gritted teeth. Her voice was cold. Embarrassment was mixed with a strong feeling of irritation in her aura. And we know where those injuries come from. The words were on Elpsis' lips, but she swallowed them.
"I was assigned to this unit to aid you."
"And I'm in command. You're not a Jedi honcho anymore."
"No, and I do not wish to be one again. There are few things I wish for now, and none have to do with rank or authority," Diona said quietly. "I can aid you though. But that requires you to let me." She let go of the crate.
"Keep your eyes on the enemy, Private," Elpsis ordered curtly. "And on the trainees. You want to be helpful, so shield them." She hauled the crate into the transport.
"As you command...," there was a pause before Diona added "Lieutenant" as if she was still adjusting to the new dynamic. Without a further word she turned away and loaded what was left of the gear.

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Hasana nodded to Rhea. She could see the fire in her, she respected it. Nothing more needed to be said, the two clearly understood each other.

The Qadiri was impressively well built even for a human and so hauled her crate easier than anyone present...except Elpsis' Sergeant or Nyssa. Still, Hasana was not showing off, and she was not afraid to take a hand personally.

Of her team Phrana and Cyrana had the easiest time as they too were well built. However when some of the others were having issues they worked together at Hasana and Darana's urging.

Soon enough Elpsis' transport was loaded with all the gear they needed. They could then switch their attention to Hasana's transport. Working together both teams soon had this task completed too.

Hasana, who had taken off her uniform jacket to better haul, picked it up and walked over to Elpsis.
"All is prepared, Lieutenant. All the best, and good luck, may the Goddess bless you or whatever other blessing you may choose. Keep in contact and we'll hit them hard and fast and get out."

"May the Lifeweb surround you, Captain. See you on the other side. Ideally on top of a pile of Imperialist corpses," Elpsis spoke. Nothing more needed to be said, so she saluted the older woman and boarded the waiting transport. "Let's go." With the 'Champions of the Flame' having taken their place, the transport took off into the cold void of space.

Soon it had entered the blue tunnel of hyperspace. It was probably still quite an experience for the Tygarans and the Tephriki, who were less used to space travel. After slipping into her armour, Elpsis started making her rounds. She passed on words of advice, checked the gear of her soldiers and made sure everything was in place.

By chance, Shikoba and Rhea happened to end up sitting next to each other. Rhea was silent, as if deep in thought. After a while, the silence was broken by the Vashyada druidess. "So, Rhea, is it? Are you a clone like all the others from Tephrike?"
"No. Why do you ask?" the Rattataki retorted, then added, "we are not all clones."
"Oh, 'tis just curiosity. I'll admit that I am a bit relieved. They are...disconcerting, yes? Strange," Shikoba said airily, casting a glance in Diona's direction. If the former Jedi noticed her, she gave no sign.
"I almost became the template for a new line of clones. For all I know, I may have."
"I wonder what 'tis like? Staring into the eyes of someone who wears your face, but is not a twin. The...original is the one who is born with a soul. Do these...duplicates share one? Is it just a mangled piece of the original that diminishes with each new clone?"
"My friend Mara is a clone. She is a kind woman. They bleed, they feel...just like you and me. And you know nothing about my world," Rhea said sharply, giving Shikoba a frosty look.

Before Shikoba could respond with a retort, Elpsis appeared. "You girls ready?"
"My spirit is ready. So is my blade, ma'am," Rhea replied. She could not tell whether Elpsis had heard their talk, and hoped she had not. "I'm looking forward to this."
"I'm not bursting with excitement," Shikoba shrugged, "but I've sworn a vow and all that, so here I am - ready and able. 'Tis a strange feeling to be helping Qadiri of all people, but I'll manage."
Elpsis looked at her seriously. "There are threats in space that go beyond the old rivalries. Today they enslave Qadiri, tomorrow it might be Vash, or Unchained, for that matter. Unless they get what they deserve. Remember that. Keep your eyes open, work as a team, and nothing can stop us." Her vacant eyes fell on Rhea. "I'll be relying on you, Corporal. Remember your lessons."
"Be the thermic lance," the Rattataki recited, smilingly thinly.
"And anyone you strike will die screaming."
As Elpsis turned away, Zhaleh suddenly called out to her. "Uh, ma'am, after we slay the Order-men...can we, well, take their plunder?"
Elpsis frowned, having not quite understood her. "What?"
"Their loot," Nyssa grunted helpfully.
"I mean, they must have amassed plenty of blood gold," the Qadiri pointed out, looking a bit self-conscious.
"All the Firemane tech they've copied goes to the Company. As for anything else we come across...the captives get first grabs because they suffered," Elpsis declared firmly. "You can have the rest...after the fight's over."

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Siobhan Kerrigan Siobhan Kerrigan

A similar experience of waiting was befalling those aboard Hasana's ship. Some of them were examining and cleaning their gear in anticipation for the battle to come.

Hasana headed to the cockpit where her Sergeant was flying. She stared briefly out the window at the star lines, then shook her head to clear it.
"Time, Sergeant?"
"Three standard hours, Captain," Cyrana replied promptly.
"Good. Daesha, make sure you're ready to engage the cloak as soon as we arrive."
"As you say, Captain."

Heading back to the passenger area Hasana started suiting up in her own armour. Darana Jai Anhala came over and handed the Captain her helmet and make sure the backpack was secure.
"What do you make of them?" she asked the Lieutenant.
"They will fight. I know of this Elpsis from my time with the Order of Fire. The unit has many moving parts, many odd people, but I think they will bond like hard-baked clay in the fire."
"You are right." Hasana checked the backpack was in place, stretched her arms. "You know, it's close to the anniversary."
"I have not forgotten, Hasana," Darana said softly. "Though we wear different armour, use different weapons and fight in a void far beyond the light of out star I still follow you."
"The years have not taught you sense, I see," Hasana said with a little smile. She reached out and laid a hand on the other woman's shoulder. "And as then, so now, we will get through this. The enemy has changed his face, but their evil remains. Anhala vas Qadiri kanna."
"All Qadiri shall be free," Darana translated in Basic. They clasped hands. "I follow you, Captain."
They parted, Hasana checking all her weapons to make sure they were in working order as the Lieutenant meditated and checked her lightsabre.

The time passed, and soon the ships were emerging from hyperspace. They were a long way out, but that was the plan.
"Lieutenant Alcori, we are beginning our approach, we have engines at 10%, gliding on set course. Once we near their sensor range we will cloak."
After they cloaked it would normally be the point of no return because they could not communicate with each other. Fortunately each group had an Enlightenment Mk2 with them, allowing basic communication with the other unit regardless of enemy sensors or interference.

After doing her rounds, Elpsis had found a quiet spot in the cargo hold. She had checked her squad's gear and hovered over them until they probably felt she was playing mother. There was no more she could do now. Here, surrounded by crates with all manners of gear, she had a moment to herself. There were no trees, no vegetation or animals. Instead she was surrounded by machines and metal, which made it more difficult to connect with the source of all life. However, there was still life there. Life in form of the soldiers she had a duty to lead and protect. As well as her companions on the Qadiri's ship.

She knelt and her head was bowed. She had removed her combat boots and socks. Her bare feet touched the metal ground, but she did not mind the cold. She always burnt hotter than normal people. Her eyes were closed, but she did not use them to see anyway. Free from distraction, she could perceive the strands of the Force; see the web that bound all life together. Every being was just an element in a larger tapestry, no matter their strength in the Force or their state of sensitivity to it.

"Give me the strength to be brave and just," she said quietly, her voice barely above a whisper. "To defend the innocent and smite the wicked. Keep the darkness away from those under my care. Let them kindle the fire inside them. Let our flames consume the wicked," Her prayers were not formalised. They came from the heart. Her deities did not need formalised ritual.

She heard heavy boots thumping on the ground. Even without reaching out with the Force, she knew who it was. Nyssa was nothing if not unsubtle. If the Force was an ocean, then she was a big stone making a splash. "You know, Red, you should switch to Typhojem. Worship Purebloods. We are perfection made flesh, after all," Nyssa teased her.

Elpsis felt a strong and callused, yet surprisingly gentle hand caress the top of her head and stroke her hair. "I've asked the Red Lady to overlook your blasphemy," she replied, and found herself leaning in to the caress. The Pureblood was good with her fingers. "Maybe you won't be reborn in the lowest realm."
"Oh, really?" Nyssa raised an amused eyebrow. "Does that mean I shall awake in a pretty garden with flowers, a cerulean sky and a sun that never sets? Will there be lusty virgins or just fountains of wine?"
Elpsis chuckled. "Virgins, huh? Thought you liked experienced girls." Elpsis got to her feet and turned around. Her milky-white eyes stared into Nyssa's aura. It was shades of black and red; dangerous and dark: passionate and fierce. Elpsis found it beautiful for all its imperfections, or perhaps because of them. Her hand touched Nyssa's cheek.
Then her comm beeped. Nyssa grunted something; Elpsis took the call. "Acknowledged, Captain. See you on the other side," she said curtly. "Showtime," she kissed the Pureblood.
Nyssa held the back of her nape and kissed her again. "The blood of our enemies shall flow and coat our blades. Let the fire inside you blaze into an inferno you, and you will lead this sorry group to honour and victory."

Meanwhile in the cockpit, Natalie was flying the ship. She had insisted on it. Elpsis was decent, but not really good, and she was not letting the Sith near the controls. The Bothan did not want to fly anyway. Sano was her co-pilot. Much to Natalie's surprise, the Togruta was actually fine at it. But she was really talkative, alas.

"But you're a freedom fighter and a spy! Tano was saying. "And you fought the One Sith. That's so brave."
"It's a lot less glamorous than the movies make it out to be," Natalie found herself saying despite her better instincts. "Most of it is waiting and watching, like at the dentist's."
"But it was you who found out where Alcori was when those Jedi captured her. And now you made that doodad to free the slaves," the Togruta continued unperturbed. "Pardon me, ma'am, but why don't you join Firemane? You already work with them and they could use someone like you."
"Girl, my face is not the kind you want on a recruitment poster, and I don't feel like having some bigshot run my missions. On my first job, many years ago, I put thousands of innocent people out of work by airing the dirty laundry of an evil corporation."
Sano considered this for a while. "If their employers were evil, they had to be bad as well. I mean, they had to have an idea of what's going on? And if not...weren't they accessoires?"
"Even the janitor? They were thrown onto the streets and someone more exploitative took over. But my handler thought it was a price worth paying because it denied the Sith a couple toys. And you know what? The Republic lost anyway. And those bombs freedom fighters place kill civilians just as much as bucketheads. In fact, they do it a lot more."
"Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance never shed innocent blood," Sano argued. "They were..."
"I'm sure that's comforting to believe, but the Rebels sure did. Those who sullied themselves just didn't get medals and holofilms. Centuries have passed, and the winning side got to write history. We're just fortunate that it wasn't the evil one, but don't kid yourself."
Sano was quiet for a moment. "I don't know what to say," she muttered. Perhaps she was remembering the lecture Hasana and Elpsis had given her. "You're on our side, helping us fight the good fight and..."
"Not an angel."
"But our cause is important. Someone has to stand up to evil. The Jedi sure aren't."
"It is, but if you stay in the business long enough, be prepared to witness and maybe even do things that haunt you at night. Rebellions are built on hope, but they are fought with viciousness.
"But how far is too far? When do your ends stop justifying your means? The Lt. said we shouldn't take prisoners, and I get it. Slavers are evil, but still."
Natalie shrugged. "Girl, I'm a terrorist, not your teacher. If you want someone to spoon-fed you ethics, go somewhere else. You want some advice? Don't bother with wondering what idols would approve of. No matter whether it's Luke, some Togruta hero or even Elpsis. Identify what kind of behaviour you find reprehensible, and stick to it." She checked the sensors. It was time. "Activate cloak." Obediently and without a further word, Sano did so.

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One

Now came the nerve wracking wait. As the invisible ships emerged from hyperspace above the solar plane and headed directly down towards their target their engines were at the minimum possible. At this stage without friction it was all about momentum and careful calculation. They knew where the target would be so they just had to calculate the right path. And so, drifting like a silent tide they came inwards.

It was a long time before they could detect the station, let alone see it optically. The asteroid was large and irregular, studded with old props or mining rigs abandoned on the surface once the tunnels and the base had been built. Their ships would not want to land on them.

Hasana stood silently in the cockpit, examining the scanners from her datapad. "Sergeant, take us in. Minimal scans."
"Yes, ma'am."

In time they approached the asteroid closer. There was some traffic going in and out of the vaguely oblong rock, but none of it seemed concentrated on the top where they were headed.

Closer and closer they got. Hasana identified a likely hiding spot and saw the Firemane ship do the same. Now was the dangerous part. They had to land without crashing into the surface or the old junk. To land they'd have to deploy retro-thrusters quickly and hope it was not noticed by the asteroid's scanners.

Though not particularly religious, Hasana whispered a prayer to any deity which might be listening as they came in. Cyrana took a deep breath and as the surface rushed closer she hit the thrusters, two three second bursts so they came down in a crater with a thud...and then silence.

A silence broken by a beeping. An interceptor passed overhead, whether investigating or by chance was unknown. However, thankfully it discovered nothing.

With a sigh Hasana pulled up the Enlightenment. 'Landed. Proceeding to target. Good luck.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom