Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Communion

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"Yes, but many do not have that luxury. That is why we must be vigilant. The Xioquo are blessed that the Karishzar came to them," she said fervently. Having said her piece, she observed Purity's efforts. When the girl had time to think and aim, she had good success with scoring successful shots. However, her success rate declined as the target moved faster and hid behind cover instead of just staying out in the open. "Yes," Xalda responded simply. Without further ado, she retrieved her sidearm from her holster and switched off the safety. She held the pistol with both hands, and faced the target squarely, with her feet spread shoulder-width apart.

The pistol was brought up directly in front of her eyes. She dropped the strong-side foot back several inches. The target moved, moving even faster than before. It shifted in and out of cover. She followed it not just with her eyes, but her ears, and squeezed the trigger. Her rate of fire was not very high. Her first experience with firearms had been muskets that fired slowly and took ages to load, and while she was now experienced with blasters and modern slugthrowers, it still carried over. But it was precise. She put two blaster bolts in the target's chest, and another in the head.

xxx

"Of course, please follow me. I can show you around and we can go over the details," Royal said warmly. "Your office is just down this corridor..." She took the tall Vashyada woman by the arm and led her away. "I have sadly had little opportunity to interact with your people. But now that you're here I can finally rectify that..."
Siobhan, meanwhile, had to deal with squabbling children. She suppressed a sigh. "When I was your age, I did not have a holo at all. In fact, I did not own much of anything until I was a grown woman. Besides, while Phylis is needlessly wordy, levitation has some use you might come to appreciate when you start learning the ways of the Force. It helps teach discipline, a very important trait for a soldier," she declared sternly. Adril was about to open her mouth, but Siobhan impatiently silenced her with a wave of her hand. "You want Alisa to teach you how to use a bow, don't you? Then you'll be a good girl and do as we tell you. And now I have work to do."

xxxx

As Elpsis' hand connected with the flower, heat suffused her. It was as if the sun had kissed her skin. As the sensation of heat flooded her, the flower grew. Sweet jasmine invaded her nostrils. "i can see it," the pyromancer said in wonder. She blinked, as if thinking she might be dreaming. Yet it was still there right before her eyes. Just like the box the strange lady had given her on Dahomey. "Like, really see it."

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]
Purity let out a little squee of delight as Xalda nailed one shot on target after another. She clapped her hands excitedly, then mimicked the Xio’s stance.
“Ah, the extra balance to counter the recoil, and the wide stance to give greater stability,” she said enthusiastically.
“This is most fascinating, I will have to do more research and training for future usage.”

XXX

Alisa seemed to share none of the thoughts Tegaea was having about Royal.
“Yes, I have not seen many of yours either. This will be most interesting…but to business first….”
They vanished into a distant room.

Adril closed her mouth and glared at the floor.
“Come on girls, let’s go and get some homework done,” Harmony put in at that moment. She knew when her Mistresses wanted to be alone and not bothered by the kids. She had soon whisked the twins away.

That left the couple together.
“So, pyramid trip went well?” Tegaea asked.

XXX

“Yes, it is a product of the Force, and thus through the Force you can see it,” Tylania said. “When I found this one I knew it was one you would like. Take it with you if you like. All I ask is some of the seeds from when they come.”

Time was marching on though, and soon Elpsis would be heading to the prison for less enjoyable duties.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"This is the security room," Royal declared, leaning forward so that the retinal scanner could read her eye and unlock the door. "Iris scan commencing," a feminine sounding, computerised voice spoke. "Identity validated," it added a moment later. "The scanners can detect whether or not the retina they are scanning belongs to a live person," the Chiss explained. "We use the Guardian Security Control System, or GSCS for short." It was the latest in home security!

Instead was a control room with some technicians and guards inside. They stood at attention when the two entered. There were cameras, servers and logs. "Everything on the premise can be monitored from her. We also have a panic room. More like a bunker really," she shrugged.

xxx

Xalda smiled ever so slightly when Purity clapped and blushed a bit. Fortunately, her dark complexion mostly his the latter. "Yes, yes, you are lear-ning," she said in very accented Basic. She could speak and understand the language well enough, but had a thick Xio accent. "It is not like in those...moving pictures." Presumably she meant holo-movies. "You need balance, stance, precision. Do not try to fire one-handed. Your shots will go wide and with a larger pistol the recoil will break your wrist."

xxx

"Yes, it's a nice ship. Probably not much use in combat, but it makes a good status symbol. I gave them the scenic tour. Apparently my story of fighting Lost Rakata did not impress them much. I knew I should have saved that Lotek'k story for last," Siobhan remarked. Once you had punched out Cthulhu, everything else seemed small fry.

She looked at the door Livia and Adril had been led through. "Children. Why do they have to be so difficult?" she asked rhetorically. She was clearly not referring to the pyramid adventure episode. She shook her head. "Adril has to grow out of being a rebel without a cause. Livia's well-mannered and studious, but she needs to look past her books. I won't be around forever to protect them."

xxx

"I'd like that. I'll treasure it. And sure, you'll get some when the time comes." She looked at the flower. "Maybe some day we can plant some things on a planet's surface. Make life grow somewhere that's seen too much death," she sighed. "Well, I gotta go. Duty calls and all that. Thank you for having me, Lady." Her next stop would be the penitentiary.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Alisa examined everything briefly. Her control over computers and the machines of the future was still a bit limited, but fortunately she had a droid which assisted there.
“Sounds impressive,” she said, preoccupied. The sky people liked to abbreviate and shorten long words down to confusing non-words, but she acknowledged that was their way.

Taking a seat she looked over the controls. It was quite simple.
“I noticed one of the Kar’zun following us, were there other guards? I should meet them and find out about them.”

XXX

“And I thought I could use the two blasters at once and turn them sideways!” Purity joked. It was all the rage in the more extravagant holo-movies.
“I will try with your new suggestions, Xalda.”
She did indeed try again and was better, but it was clear it’d take a lot more practice and work to get to that level of proficiency that the Xio did.

XXX

Tegaea nodded. “Children seek to rebel against their parents. They test the boundaries because they know we are there for them.”
She looked at Siobhan. “Elpsis is unhappy. I think you’re too hard on her.”
There, she’d said it. She should have said it a long time ago, but she’d not seen how much her daughter had been hurt.

XXX

“I know just the place, dear. There’s a very nice oasis not far from Saqqir which would do it perfectly. But, another time. Take care, Elpsis, I hope to see you later.”
Tylania sat back down and closed her eyes, meditating.

XXX

The journey to the penitentiary was not quick. It was on one of the arms far from the ritzy dwellings of the great and the good. However, when she arrived she was still early, but a small guard of Leonina’s soldiers were waiting.
“The Brigadier is inside, Lieutenant, you may go in, ma’am,” the Sergeant commanding the guard said with a salute.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

xxx

The sky people liked their abbreviations. The longer, the better. Sometimes they were harder to remember than the long-winded, full name. "Oh, there are three of them. We have a Wookiee from the Oathkeepers up front, and a Falleen guard is embedded into the reception. Follow me."

xxx

"No, that would not work..." Xalda began, "oh, you spoke in jest," she realised, feeling a bit silly. Regardless, she watched Purity practice a bit more. "This is sufficient for today," she finally said. "You will master the gun as you become more proficient in it. Do you have any other engagements for today?" She found herself wanting to spend more time with the human, but felt uncertain about how to voice it.

xxx

It took a moment for Siobhan to process what her wife had said. She opened her mouth, then shut it, before responding. "If I am harsh, it is because she lacks discipline. I find it strange that you want to defend her now, after all that has happened."

xxx

Unsurprisingly, the penitentiary was located far from the hub of the city that had sprung up on the station. The great and good did not like to live in close vicinity to a jail, after all. Even Elpsis could not avoid a feeling of discomfort any time she stepped into it. The journey to the prison complex took a while, but she arrived early enough.

"Thanks," she returned the salute and stepped into the room, walking with a slight limp. Inside, she found Leonina. "Lieutenant Alcori reporting as ordered, ma'am," she said, as crisply as she could muster. Her salute was precise enough. The Cathar Force Master was standing in front of a one-way glass. When Elpsis approached her, she sensed the presence of Diona. The fallen Jedi had been secured in an interview room. The woman seemed calm. Elpsis could not see it, but she appeared to be meditating. Elpsis steeled herself, taking a quiet breath.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Alisa followed obediently behind Royal. She inspected the two front guards, seeing them for what they were; intimidation above all. She had no doubt they could pull someone’s arms off though if they chose to be.
“Miss Myrian, can we have a word? Miss Alisa here wishes to study the logbook.”
“Certainly, Miss Royal,” the receptionist said. She was dressed in a professional business suit with her hair back. The observant would notice that she wore sensible footwear and her long jacket could easily conceal several weapons.
Alisa was led into a side meeting room and the door was closed.
“The ‘logbook’ is our code for a security briefing. Myrian, this is Alisa, new head of security. Can you please describe your daily routine and procedures?”

XXX

“Well, I did need to do some more testing on the new…” Purity began. She paused, eventually figuring out that Xalda was hinting to her. She wasn’t great at picking up on hints. However, it was a nice hint.
“But why don’t we go shopping? Are you looking for anything to buy? It’s probably to be found somewhere on the Arx!”

XXX

Tegaea stood her ground…at last. “I made no issue of it before. I thought when she returned that you were trying tough love with her. Now I think it’s going further than that and you’re outright showing cruelty to her. She doesn’t lack discipline, she lacks the ability to match your standards. She never will be able to. No one could.”

XXX

Leonina had been studying the prisoner, but looked around. She nodded to Elpsis.
“Lieutenant. I asked you here as you know this prisoner best. I will be making final decision on her today. Whilst I will take your input the final decision will be mine to make. However, first tell me your thoughts on this Diona. Do you feel she can ever be an asset to Firemane? Or is she a compromised person…or worse a threat?”

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

((Retconned Myrian into being a Falleen. Probably a GRU agent))

"Certainly," Myrian said smoothly. "I handle calls, alert Lady Kerrigan and Lady Alcori about visitors. I vet guests and engage them in conversation. Our cameras have a facial recognition software and we have direct access to GRU's anti-terrorism database. Visitors are screened by a magnometre and must surrender any communications devices on their person. We have metal detectors at the entrance and any briefcases, rucksacks and so are on are opened by the guards there.

"My desk includes a panic alarm system and an electronic visitor management system. The latter allows me to track and sign-in visitors. Authorised visitors receive a badge. The panic button allows me to call for help as well as lock down the reception area. It is connected to our access and security management system. In short, it transmits an alarm to the control centre. It is a two-state panic button. One signal is for true emergencies, the other for when help is needed, but it doesn't require an emergency response. I can also trigger the auto-turret concealed in the ceiling from my desk."

xxx

"That is a most kind offer from you. I am not very experienced with this..sh-shopping. There are so many traders in the market and so many bright lights. It is confounding," Xalda confessed. She had gotten used to being compensated for her service, but it still seemed strange to her that the sky people attached so much value to cards made of plastic.

xxx

"I've given her a home, opportunities and advantages many girls can only dream of. I went to war for her. I've not been cruel, I've been hard," Siobhan insisted. "Aba ran off to Force knows where, Natoline went insane and might as well be dead, Galina is dead. Everything I did was not enough. Now she has taken their place. And she's leaping into any fight that comes her way."

xxx

"She is...not a threat," Elpsis said quietly. "Except to herself, maybe. Not us. She's...lost. Hates her former bosses, hates herself, wants to atone. I guess admitting that you served monsters will do that to you." Her milky-white eyes drifted from Leonina to her former jailer, then back to her superior. "She is good in a fight," she admitted. "In one of our last talks...she, um, offered her sword to me." Elpsis was, of course, speaking metaphorically.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Alisa nodded. “That sounds excellent. Very well, you may return to your duties. I will have a personal debrief with you tomorrow once I’m settled in.”
She looked back to Royal. “This looks very much in order. Might I understand the Lady’s routine? I always would like to check out their route to the shuttle bay and elevators.”

XXX

Purity seemed to brighten up. “Oh, people will try and convince you that you need something of theirs, but you don’t. Make sure you know what you want or you’ll come out of the mall with a dozen things you didn’t want before.”

It was a short walk to the train which led them to the massive commerce area of the Arx. Once they were there one could in a short distance find anything from furniture to firearms, ashtrays to automatons and anything in between.
“So…where shall we start? Do you have any nice dresses to wear?”

XXX

“And she’s leaping into those fights because she’s trying to prove herself,” Tegaea replied calmly. “We’ve both been burnt by our mistakes of the past, but that’s no reason not to just cast her aside. If you’re looking for her to leave for good you may as well tell it to her face and be done with it. I should have said something as soon as I got back from Tephrike, but I didn’t. That was wrong, and she has good reason to despise me for it.”
“You’re in charge of Firemane now, solely. I made that choice willingly in exchange for my subsidiary and my own domain to control. So rather than just nag at you I have a possible solution….”

XXX

Leonina’s expression was unreadable, metaphorically and literally considering Elpsis’ blindness.
“We shall see. I have my earpiece in. You may talk to me through it – for important moments only though. You will listen and give your final opinion when I am done. Then I will decide what will be done.”

She went to the door and opened it, moving in to sit opposite Diona.
“Diona, you have now been with us for several months. What do you have to say for yourself? How do you feel about your past employers, about Firemane, about your future? If you could have one wish right now, what would it be?”
She poised to make notes on her datapad.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"Already uploaded onto your datapad. Just a second, I'll show you," Royal said smoothly. Once the Vashyada had produced the datapad the Chiss had given her, Royal accessed the corresponding file. Siobhan was a moody woman with a tendency towards capriciousness, but she had a strictly defined routine. Otherwise it would be impossible for her to administrate her vast holdings. Siobhan was the exact opposite of a morning person, and so she rose rather late.

After training, she had meetings with Royal and Vivian. The former briefed her on her engagements, the latter provided her with press summaries. This was followed by breakfast. Then she was in her office, attending to the daily business of running her enterprises and having meetings with underlings who had pressing business to discuss. She also received dignitaries. In the afternoons she held discussions with military, diplomatic and business advisors. However, this routine could be interrupted by training sessions with Order members, inspections of important Firemane projects and so on. Siobhan considered herself a big picture thinker and disliked minutiae.

The little ladies had classes early in the morning after breakfast. Moreover, both Adril and Livia had activities they regularly pursued. In the case of Adril, it very basic Force training, while Livia was part of a chemistry club and had a Xio language tutor. As for Tegaea's schedule, this one does know it. Presumably she got up earlier than her wife.

xxx

The massive commercial area was quite a sight for Xalda. She was no stranger to the hustle and bustle of the Arx, but she still found it a bit overwhelming. The crowds were enormous, and there were bright lights everywhere. People from all manners of species were moving hither and yon. Her crimson eyes were bombarded with gaudy advertisements, promoting exquisite dining, the newest films, the biggest guns, the fanciest dress, or the most attractive girls or boys in town. Most of the signs were in Basic, but some traders had put up signs in the main elf languages.

She knitted her brow at Purity's query. "I, um, have one," she admitted. "The Karishzar gave it to me." The Great One liked her in it.

xxx

Siobhan was quiet for a long moment. "Let's sit down," she finally said, after what seemed like an eternity. Siobhan had foregone her cane because she found using it unbecoming. However, this had made walking and standing more tiring for her. "I just didn't want to get hurt again. Or for my family vulnerable. We have many enemies, you know that," she trailed off. "Anyway, you had a proposal."

xxx

Diona had looked like she was sleeping. But when Leonina entered the room, she immediately opened her eyes, without any sign of being startled, for she had been meditating. The collar around her neck kept her from drawing upon the Force, but she could still find peace when submerged in its currents. "My country, the Dominion, is...not what I believed it was. Very little is, I suppose. We fought demons, and bit by bit we became demons ourselves. It has taught me one lesson: that how you do a thing matters as much as what you do. Deep down I must have known for a while, but it was easy to look away and tell myself I had no choice," she began.

"I'm no Jedi. If your cogitator's records are to be believed, the name has little worth even outside of Tephrike. I can forge my own path and make amends in the time I have before I face the Force's judgement. I don't ask for forgiveness. I've sinned and that cannot be washed away. If I had a wish, it would be for my people to be free. My sisters are still on Tephrike. Trapped. They cannot go down the same path as me."

She paused for a moment. "Firemane has Dark Jedi. Sith." She did not bother hide the disgust in her tone. Doubtless she was referring to everyone's favourite Pureblood. "Yet it proved more...honourable than my country. I wronged Elpsis greatly. But you have your own agendas. I would fight, but not as a hireling or a slave serving someone else's profit without question." Her tone was firm. "If I am to be locked away or be made a serf, I would rather die."

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Tegaea’s schedule was a little different from her wife’s. She was indeed an earlier riser – much to the grumpiness of Siobhan who missed her redhead pillow! She would be up in time to see the children off to their classes, then had breakfast and a discussion with Royal to cover any staffing or other household issues which might have come up.
After that she would go to her office and deal with business related to the science, technology and shipbuilding arms of the business for which she had a good head for. She would also get the latest news on the exploration.
In the afternoon she would handle trade and financial issues, as well as issues related to the family and household assets. In all cases she would handle the majority of things herself, but big ticket items or ‘foreign’ policy would always be routed to Siobhan with a recommendation.
In the evening she would return to their suite, have dinner with her wife and/or friends, and then head to bed before midnight.
It was a busy schedule which took workload off Siobhan, but also kept her active and busy. She was not the sort to just lay around all day having girls feed her grapes. Well, not every day, she worked 4.5 days a week. On one day a week she’d finish work a couple of hours early to take the kids somewhere nice after meeting their tutors.

“I see everyone is very busy!” Alisa said with a nod. “That’s good, but it makes securing them a little bit harder. No matter, we can figure something out.”

XXX

“You can have two, you know! Ooh, I think you’d look lovely with some gold or silver jewellery!”
She led Xalda to a jeweller who had some lovely gold and silver pieces for sale.
“See anything you like?” Purity asked encouragingly.

XXX

“I know that, Siobhan, trust me. But what would be worse is if Elpsis left angrily and was all alone out there, vulnerable.”
She sat beside Siobhan. “Well, my proposal is quite simple and I think gives everyone a good compromise. As part of my frontier exploration company as you know I monitor our ‘borders’. What I propose is that we set Elpsis up in station F769 – the Forge. She can train Order of Fire folks there and help deal with any local issues. She would not be in command of the station or the naval assets there, but she would be able to do us a great service. She’s good with the Force, she’s good at training. More importantly though it keeps her out of your way and vice versa, it puts her in a place where she is protected but also useful, and it helps the OOF.”

XXX

Leonina carefully studied the human’s face. She was silent for a long moment.
“The term ‘Jedi’ has many meanings. I was a Jedi once, but no longer.” A pause. “If not as a ‘hireling’ what would you expect? We are, all of us except the Directors, ‘hirelings’ in that we are paid for our services. What would you have different?”

She was curious to know what Elpsis was sensing from Diona.

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

(I think Tegs is the blanket. Sio is the pillow because she has a bigger bust. She gets grumpy when her blanket disappears)).

Siobhan had a Board of Control meeting scheduled every week. Though no longer formally a member, Tegaea still transcripts of meetings and could attend if she liked. The Inner Circle met more frequently in a less formal manner.

Royal nodded. "I believe that between the two of us, we can make great headway in streamlining matters. Outside of the residence, the ladies are usually accompanied by a Granite Guard or a Cataphract. I've scheduled a security briefing for tomorrow. The chief of security at Firemane headquarters will be there, as will a representative from GRU and the pilots of the Ladies' craft. Speaking of which, let's head down the route to the hangar bay and the elevators. Most of the time the Ladies make use of Lambda class shuttles, but they have access to a cloaked ship," she paused. "You are familiar with galactic standard technology, yes?" The question might sound a bit patronising, but it was a fair thing to ask.

xxx

Xalda looked around a bit when Purity led her to the jeweller. The Karishzar and the Blessed Consort loved to wear jewellry. So did the mistresses, though Xalda did not equate the two. She instantly shied away from the golden stuff. Her eyes settled upon a silver necklace with a chain.

She picked it up, somewhat hesitantly. "This looks nice," she said after a moment, contemplating it. She checked the price tag, and put it down. "But it is very expensive. I shall look for something else." It was probably not even that expensive, but Xalda was careful with money and spent little on herself.

xxx

It was ambiguous whether Siobhan had concluded her behaviour had been unkind, impractical or whether she had simply decided that had made her wife unhappy, which was bad in her book. "She has some skill at training and she did not badly against Matsu," Siobhan conceded, reluctantly. It sounded a bit backhanded. "I believe I'm familiar with the station. It's mobile on a strategic level, isn't it? We need someone with experience and seniority to command it. Someone who has the authority to rein her in. And a fleet officer to command the naval assets."

xxx

"Yes, Elpsis mentioned that she was once a Jedi, too," Diona said. She had been informed that leaving the Jedi was a 'trend' in the Galaxy. She was still wrapping her head around the concept, but apparently when people were dissatisfied with the course the Jedi were taking, they could just pack up and leave. No one tried to stop them, or send them to re-education. They could even keep their lightsabres. They were not declared unpersons or persecuted. It was like being a Jedi was a 'job' or a 'life style' rather than a sacred calling.

Many even went on to found their own Jedi orders and then held...conclaves. Thus this Galaxy's Jedi were not oppressed and tyrannised by their masters. They had a choice. But a look at the galactic map had told her that the forces of darkness reigned supreme. Perhaps the freedom to do anything meant that no one valued anything. It was no wonder that Jedi became Sith, then were welcomed back with naught but a reprimand. It was disheartening.

"I am not concerned with...payment. Lucre does not concern me. Beyond what I need to survive, maintain my weapons and armour. Let the rest go to the refugees." She had read a bit about the economic system that prevailed in the Galaxy, and found it quite unfair. "Forgive me if I appear ignorant of your system, but I cannot take up my blade and fight without any choice in who I shall do battle against."

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Alisa was looking over the notes, but at the last question she glanced up. Her reply was measured.
“There’s things I am not completely up to date on, however I like to think I know the things relevant for my job. I am always learning however. Don’t worry, I’ll know all that’s needed for this role.”

The path they took down to the hangers was quite simple. The Directors had access to a private turbolift which connected them to their own hanger but also a special tram which would take them anywhere in this arm, and through another private station to any of the arms. Aside from maintenance droids and a couple of guards there was no one down here. A strong blast door led from the station into the hanger.

XXX

Purity took the necklace from her. “Nonsense, this is great value. Tell you what, as a tuition fee for assisting me with my defence classes I’ll get this one for you. A present.”
She smiled at the Xio and handed it to the attendant to gift wrap and so she could pay.

XXX

“It is mobile, yes. Not fast, but it can redeploy as needed.”
Tegaea pondered for a moment. “We can get a list of good officers for the naval and military role. However, I had considered Tempest might be a good choice. More likely that Elpsis will stay put if she is there, plus Tempest is due a promotion for her work on Tephrike.”

XXX

Leonina nodded when Diona mentioned that she did not need pay. That would certainly make things easier to smooth with the brass if there was to be a future for the renegade.
However, at the last Leonina shook her head. “The military of the galaxy operates like your own on Tephrike. We do not get asked for permission to fight. We fight who is a threat and who those superior to us have relevant information on pertaining to this threat. However, I have made it clear I will not fight Jedi from my old Order. Something could be done here…depending on what your requests are. Who do you not want to fight?”

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Royal smiled encouragingly. "I'm confident you do. If anything appears unclear, you can always come to me. There are some people who think Tygarans do not measure up. They are foolish, of course. It's not like our technology is incomprehensible magic. Lady Kerrigan is wise to promote your people." Whether the Chiss actually believed that or was just following the party line was another question.

Regardless, the two made their way down to the Director's private hangar. As Royal had said, it contained two Lambda Class shuttles and the Revenants. However, a few technicians seemed to be working on the latter. "They're currently being refurbished," Royal explained. "The technicians are hand-picked."

xxx

"Alright," Xalda said a bit hesitantly, then smiled. "You are very kind. Thank you." Impulsively, she hugged the Dahomian. The contact did not last long. Stepping back, she looked a bit embarrassed. "I am sorry for laying a hand on you."

xxx

"She is," Siobhan said thoughtfully. "That said, they're in a relationship, and it's public knowledge. Optics aside, if things go awry and Tempest is hurt or killed, Elpsis will lose it and that could put the lives of the soldiers in jeopardy."

xxx

Diona held her gaze. "I won't fight my siblings. And...I will not murder noncombatants. I won't kill peasants." She almost added 'again', but just about suppressed the word before it could leave her tongue. However, beneath the table her right hand clenched and her nails dug into her palm.

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan

Alisa seemed torn on whether to thank the Chiss for her encouragement or stay silent. She was not used to such fulsome praise for no real reason, but she was also not used to people who were sycophantic. So she smiled.

“Well thank you, if anything is unclear I will come to you,” she said with a smile. What a nice lady!

“Excellent. I’m guessing they have their own private codes which allow access. Are they changed regularly though? The more time a code or password is active the more chance it might be compromised.”

XXX

Purity blushed slightly, but smiled. “No need to apologise!” she said quickly. She’d liked the hug…feeling Xalda holding her made her feel a bit tingly.

She coughed and finished the transaction with the bemused sales rep.

“Come on, let’s see if there’s anything else we can find? Do you have any foods you like to eat especially? Any allergies I need to know about?” Ever the conscientious person.

XXX

Tegaea nodded thoughtfully. “True. Do you have any suggestions for the army-marine command? For the navy, I think there’s an up and coming officer who might be perfect. I was talking to Bashani and she suggested a relative of hers who might be useful, Khamasa Jal Nadur. He’s a Khairmari like her, but moved away early on and worked as a mercenary captain and admiral. I’ve reviewed his file, he seems quite studious and importantly seems to lack to vast ambition of some of his family.”

XXX

Leonina looked at Diona in a measured way. “I can allay your concerns. You would not be fighting on Tephrike. We do not kill civilians. Enemy combatants and those who attack us are fair targets of war, those without weapons are not. We do not massacre.”

Of course casualties happened in war, and if an enemy used human shields in a battlezone there would be civilian deaths. Leonina understood though that Diona meant the systematic killing and execution of civilians, and that was something Firemane did not do.

Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris , Tegaea Alcori Tegaea Alcori

On the bright side, Royal was not being an openly condescending Chiss 'genius'. Has this one mentioned that they do not like Chiss? They had an overly inflated opinion of themselves, just because one of them had managed to become a decent villain who won a few battles...but lost all those that mattered and got killed by his own bodyguard because he continued to dupe them. And then he got retconned into being a do-gooder who just happened to serve space fascists.

Rant aside, Royal smiled at the Vash. "Oh, I agree. Presently the codes are changed about every month. Now would you like me to show you to your quarters?" She was truly a nice lady, if she thought she had something to gain from it.

xxx

Purity was very conscientious. Xalda was a bit unused to the attention. "I do not possess allergies, I believe. I like spicy foods. Anything with a lot of flavour," she said after some thought. One could easily infer that slaves like her had been fed extremely bland gruel with no real taste or flavour. Janissaries had been treated better than common labourers, but not much.

xxx

"I'd consider Glory. She's a good officer and would be stern with Elpsis. Especially if Elpsis is dumb enough to try and seduce her." It helped that Glory and Tempest were not friends. Their tribes had a bloody history. "But she doesn't have the seniority yet and I've already earmarked her for eventual command of the 1st Dahomian Rangers. I'll review a list of candidates. There's been a bunch of promotions after Tephrike. Varkasa Jai Nasal may be an an option. So is Lucille Guyenne. Sadly, Saito keeps refusing promotion for some reason," she said in a grumpy, unintentionally ironic aside.

"I also don't want the Sithling on the station. She's a bad influence. Elpsis' judgement is not sound enough to see it. Best to keep them separated. Her choice in companions has not been the most apt, I'm afraid." One wondered whether Siobhan would let any of Elpsis' friends go with her if she had her way. Perhaps because she knew that a number of them were not totally devoted to her.

xxx

"One day I will have to fight on Tephrike," Diona responded. "Whether I desire it or not, I am duty-bound to go there. If...if my line has not been exterminated for 'heresy', then more of my siblings are being grown in servitude. To be killed by the Dominion, the Guard and the Sith and I cannot abide that," she paused for a moment. For a moment, her eyes turned to the glass. It was one-way, so Diona could not see Elpsis. The collar kept her from sensing the young pyromancer in the Force, yet she seemed to know she was there. "And Elpsis' path leads there as well."

Last edited:

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan Siobhan Kerrigan Siobhan Kerrigan

This writer assumes the main problem is that the vast majority of people only know one Chiss; a certain ‘Genius’ admiral more conceited than hubris should allow. However, one imagines the vast majority of Chiss are just average people, they are just never seen on screen.

“Please do, I must thank you for giving me such a detailed tour,” Alisa said warmly.

XXX

“Spicy, huh? A lady after my own heart. Come this way.”

Purity led Xalda through the markets and traders until they came to a little repulsor cart containing a couple of pans and heat lamps. A large Dahomian man was serving behind the counter. He smiled when Purity appeared.

“Back again, Miss Purity?”

“I am, and this is my friend Xalda. Xalda, this is Clarity. We’ll take some of your stew, please.”

“Can your friend handle the heat?”

“She says she can.”

“Very well. Here you go, Purity. And here you go Xalda!”

Clarity handed a bowl full of a thick stew which smelt amazing. It also tasted amazing, but there was a strong spicy kick to it too. Not enough to be unpleasant, but certainly enough to make it zing.

Purity watched to see how her new friend was enjoying it.

XXX

Tegaea nodded. “Any of those sound like fair options. I would not like to strand Varkasa out there for long as her Cataphracts are a formidable unit. Lucille has a lot of potential though.”

“Nyssa helped save my life, and Elpsis’, you know,” Tegaea said softly. “I don’t ‘like’ her much, but I respect her. She will follow orders, or she will be dismissed. She also has a talent for breaking in troublesome recruits. I think if we want to make this palatable for Elpsis we have to give and take. A lot of what we think she has to learn – the more you tell someone not to be friends with another the more they want to do it even if just to spite.”

XXX

“That time may come for you both,” Leonina acknowledged. “However, for both of you – and especially you Diona – the path leads first to Firemane and following our orders. I will consult with my advisors. If you wish any food or drink the guard will bring it to you.”

Leonina rose and left the room, appearing beside Elpsis soon after.

“Your thoughts, Lieutenant?” she prompted.

Tegaea Alcori Tegaea Alcori , Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris

xxx

On the whole, Star Wars suffered from the planet of hats trope. "Oh, it's no bother, dear. We're all kind of family here." Royal was nice...as long as someone did not get in get in her way or threaten her place at her lady's side.

Anyhow, she beckoned the imposing looking Vashyada warrior to follow her. "Your quarters are not far from the little ladies' room. Their bickering can get loud, but it means you're close by in case of an emergency. It also has a direct line to the control centre and the reception..."

xxx

"I do not placate subordinates. I give them orders after careful consideration of the facts; they obey them," Siobhan declared with an air of annoyance. "But it would reflect poorly on the family if she foolishly ran off, especially so soon after Tephrike. She can keep her pet. If Vykaris plays us false, Elpsis will be responsible for carrying out the sentence. Are you satisfied with that?"

xxx

Elpsis' thoughts were elsewhere. She saw Diona in dirty, blood-stained Jedi armour. "This is wrong. You know it. I..." She was silenced by Diona's gauntlet-covered fist. "You are a prisoner of the Inquisition, Sith. You will obey or you will be chastisted." A tiny cell. Too small for her to lie down. Shackles. Rats. Gnawing at her. Blood on the floor. Complete darkness. Propaganda droning out of loudspeakers. Thundering inside her skull.

Herself dressed in Jedi robes, all obedient and submissive. Not her. Roxane. "I have sinned. My thoughts are tainted. I must report myself." Diona grabbed her by her collar. "If you do that, they will hurt you. You'll say nothing. Understood?" There was an air of desperation in her voice.

A building in flames. Charred corpses everywhere. Herself standing above the Grand Inquisitor's ashes. She locked eyes with Diona, bloody and bruised, having plunged her sword into Inquisitor Lea. Then Diona in her cell, pinned to the wall, an invisible hand wrapped around her throat. Resigned and ready to die. But that was a mercy Elpsis had not granted her. "I can still feel it. I don't mean in my tender heart, it still pains me so. I can still feel what they did, in my body and soul, standing here, right now. You will live and you will do penance. I won't let you die. You will live with what you did." The two facing one another. "I will not turn my back on the people you helped torture," Elpsis said icily. "If you were to fight for them...my blade would be yours."

Leonina's words pulled her away from her reminiscing. She pulled her gaze away from the glass and focused her vacant eyes on the Cathar general. "Assign her to me," she said quietly. This is not forgiveness. Nyssa had scolded her for being merciful and forgiving. But she had been wrong. "I can handle her. I know her."

Last edited:
Tegaea Alcori Tegaea Alcori

Xalda followed Purity to what turned out to be a Dahomian street food vendour. The merchant was a maleling. He was taller than Xioquo males tended to be. He seemed respectful, but did not appear particularly deferential. Rather he addressed Purity in familial terms. This was not what she was used to. She swallowed a remark.

Regardless, she took the proferred bowl. Its sweet scent invaded her nostrils. She took a moment just holding it and breathing in its scent, which probably looked odd to the humans. Then she helped herself to part of the stew with a spoon. She was used to spoons, but not so much knives and forks. The Mother had given her fingers to eat with, but for some reason the space people thought that was good enough.

The food had a strong kick. Seasoned by the peppery spices, the meat practically melted in her mouth. She chewed on the meat a bit before swallowing. "This is nice. What is it called?"

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan Karrigan'Xalda Karrigan'Xalda

“I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Alisa said with a smile. “You never realise how quiet these space ships are if you have never been woken at 5am by a cacophony of birds,” she said. This is totally not a 4[SUP]th[/SUP]-wall-breaking comment on this writer’s experience.

The quarters she had were very functional, comfortable even, but without many frills. This was to Alisa’s liking as she had been brought up in frankly Spartan condition among the Vashyada where everything you had you had made or traded for personally.

“This looks great. Thank you for your assistance, Royal,” she said.

XXX

“I am satisfied with that,” Tegaea said levelly. “Perhaps let’s see how Elpsis does on this assignment and then if she is handling it well we can dispatch Tempest there as well.”

She placed a hand on her wife’s shoulder. “Hey…want to get a drink? Might be more comfortable to discuss this sort of stuff.”

XXX

Leonina’s ears twitched. It was a sign that she was either thinking, or annoyed, or both.

“I know what my decision will be. She will be your responsibility. She will have the rank of private, she will be in your platoon and the collar will be removed. However, if she cannot control herself she is going back to prison…for good. If she hurts or worse kills any Firemane employee I expect you to execute her without delay. I don’t know what is going on between you two beneath the surface, but work it out as part of the chain of command. Am I clear, Lieutenant?”

XXX

“It’s my old fashioned Kinaawe stew. In Basic you’d call that ‘Volcano’, right, Purity?”

“Volcano indeed! Come on, let’s get a table, Xalda. Thank you, Clarity!”

“Any time, Miss. And you come back any time Miss Xalda,” he said with a chuckle as they walked away.

Finding a table was easy, and somehow Purity found them some soda along the way. “Did you want one of these, or you just want water?”

Tegaea Alcori Tegaea Alcori

xxx

"I merely do my duty to the Lady, dear. Now I have some matters to attend. I trust you'll be joining us for dinner," Royal's eyes lingered on the Vashyada's impressive muscles for a while. Doubtless the Ladies would appreciate those. "I imagine the Ladies will be eager to hear your thoughts." Her high heels clacked on the floor as she stepped out. Like her mistress, she wore Force Imbued heels. This was convenient because it allowed her to look tall and sexy and her feet would not kill her for it. It was still a terrible idea to try and run in them. Especially if you were being pursued by a T-Rex.

xxx

"I shall see," Siobhan said neutrally. She was not about to make a binding commitment to anything. The way she emphasised 'I' made it clear that she would be the one making the decision. She gave a nod to Tegs' subsequent query. "Yes, that sounds fine. I believe Alisa may work out. She seems tough. Purity looks like a smart girl. Very mousy though. Clearly needs to get out more."

xxx

Elpsis held her gaze, never wavering. Those milky-white eyes remained expressionless. "By the Lifeweb, if she hurts us or a civilian, I'll kill her. Like I'll do with anyone who does so, ma'am." Her tone was firm. No third chances. No do-overs. No pious words after a lapse. She was, after all, not a Jedi. The lives of victims mattered more than the souls of perpetrators.

She had spared Diona once. Perhaps it had been the will of the Lifeweb that she stay her hand when she had the chance to end her. It would have been wrong. Diona had a choice now. A second chance many did not get. If she wasted it, that would be the end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom