Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Superweapon Rule

Haha!

You underestimate me

4942690940_3e3d6da921.jpg

I'm fairly certain you're still required to ask for staff permission prior to the destruction of a planet, regardless of means. I don't think forcing someone to kill off their character is necessarily the right thing to do, however. Maybe organize a board-wide man-hunt for them, maybe have a faction turn its head against them, I don't know, but making them accept a death for destroying a celestial body is a bit far. The difference between a force user and a superweapon like the centerpoint station is that generally the force user isn't capable of amassing the strength and power to repeatedly destroy large objects, Naga Sadow even required a special ship with special force imbued crystals (presumably lignan) to increase his control over the force in order to trigger a chain reaction in a star to cause it to explode.

[member="Silara"] That would be why the or "removal of Superweapon capabilities" clause is there. Death of the character is still optional, but a required manhunt still ensues that must choose either or. So, if the Superweapon level destruction is initiated in the force, we need some Jedi Masters or something to sever them from the force, which we learn from canon isn't necessarily permanent, but pretty darn close, so if they REALLY wanted to do they could still get that back.

In the case that they are already incapable of using the ability again, then the mini-event can be used for the manhunt and punishment, because how is the rest of the galaxy to know they can't do it again? In the case of the Superweapon level destruction doesn't originate from the force, but rather someone deciding to blow up a major shipyards all around the planet to create a Druckenwell type event (meaning the act can't be repeated), the manhunt should still exist.

Since board history proves that even when atrocities are committed, the man or woman committing the atrocity still seems to walk away unscathed except on very rare instances that aren't usually directly related, with the atrocity being more of an afterthought if a thought at all. This is making sure that the one who blows up the planet, HAS to be part of a manhunt.

Would it be easier if I altered the suggested rule clause to reflect this sentiment?

[member="Silara"] Ya lol, cause that's easy. I thought I made it pretty clear by combining the two relevant rules into something that related to the character without ensuring death, but I suppose that's still not quite clear enough.

Have you any suggestions perhaps of how to elucidate this more for people like you who didn't understand the intent initially reading it?

Fatty said:
*8. If you are given permission by the SWRP Chaos Board Owner to destroy a celestial body, you must accept that your character will be placed on Superweapon status, and engage in a separate Staff-Approved Mini-Event revolving around either the character's destruction or removal of Superweapon capabilities. *Rule Suggestion in green.
*8. Characters who destroy a celestial body must be subject to a staff-approved event focusing on the removal of potential superweapon capabilities.

[member="Trenchcoat Man"] Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? People asking questions about what a superweapon capability is or...?

[member="Fatty"]

So, say so-and-so bombs the eff out of important structure and it's perma-ruined. The rule you've petitioned for is that, you do the crime, you do the time (by way of community event). And that's fair. Don't start none, won't get none.

But here's the catch. I feel like, more often than not, you're going to see people instantly realize/discover who the culprit it is. Really, if a WMD erupts onworld and decimates a planet, the bulk of the physical evidence will be lost. So, how do we figure out who's responsible?

Ideally, we do an Investigation RP. This has high-potential for Cool, especially with it being such a big environment, it gives the potential for a lot of different leads to a bunch of different dead ends and potentials for Red Herrings. It even lets the bad guy maybe get away. (That said, though, there's very rarely a clearly RP'd 'trail' to follow, as boring parts get glossed over)

But, and maybe I'm cynical, it's rare that I've read a character that isn't already very much "in-the-know" as to what's occurring in the universe. There's also a lot of cross-faction roleplaying with very little IC consequence. All I'm saying is that this is less likely to manifest as an event than a lynch mob.

[member="Trenchcoat Man"] Hmm, that is a very valid point.

Would it be better than, to have the one who does the crime, must also organize and possibly GM the event surrounding their capture?

That way it's also fair to the culprit and avoids meta-gaming characters insta-knowing the one who blew up the planet or whatever, since they are the one organizing the hunt and make their own rules regarding it.

[member="Fatty"]

I don't know if the rule needs to mandated. I mean, I feel like the only reason why someone would want to do something like this is for the resulting celebrity, fame, and ire. I also think everyone ultimately wants to be caught and punished, which is why we're never short of Jedi-in-the-Dungeon and Sith Death-Rebirth threads. it's cyclical.

Making it an official rule that something HAS to happen just forces a player into the cycles of potentially every other player. Deharmonized to the way of things, chaos and grudge can only result.

SATURN ASCENDS.

[member="Trenchcoat Man"] Lol, isn't Chaos a good thing for this sight though? ;)

I also find it Ironic that a site named Chaos is actually super organized :p

But why are people allowed to blow up planets with the force (with permission of course), but they aren't forced to somehow 'unlearn' something, while NFU's who use technological superweapons must have those weapons destroyed by the end of its use?

I feel like it's a double standard, and there are certainly enough overpowered force users on this site that can claim such colossal power over the force that can do things without any mandated repercussions like there are for "conventional" superweapons.

And like I tried to point out in the OP, site history has shown that on a whole people will not actively seek out people who commit Superweapon level destruction that isn't an event... so why not make it a requirement to get those people to do that? That way that level of destruction isn't just a passing standard, is an actually tragedy characters are forced to face in their own way (through OOC volunteering of course).

Fatty said:
But why are people allowed to blow up planets with the force (with permission of course), but they aren't forced to somehow 'unlearn' something, while NFU's who use technological superweapons must have those weapons destroyed by the end of its use?
Well you can't really forget what you've learned, and destroying a celestial body doesn't really require a superweapon to achieve. Regardless, using the force to rend a star will require a lot of help.

Fatty said:
That way that level of destruction isn't just a passing standard
I don't think I've met anyone who's actually destroyed anything that large, and maybe it's just me in this case but I think I'd be mildly shocked, probably afraid, if I saw or heard about it. I don't think I'd join in a manhunt of someone who could probably do to me what they did to a planet or star.

[member="Silara"], [member="Trenchcoat Man"] Velok destroyed a star, if that's any consolation. Akala blew up Corellia, whilst in event, and was later destroyed, similar to how a superweapon would be dealt with.

Also I'm not sure exactly what I meant by the phrase of passing standard, I believe I used it incorrectly.

Essentially what I'm getting at is that people have engaged in unconscionable amount of destruction and loss of life on multiple occasions with no use of direct manufactured superweapons, and beyond that singular thread no one hardly bats an eye at it. On a theoretical level, if they aren't hunted down (from an IC standpoint) they'll just do it again. Yet these people aren't hunted, even ignored in some cases. The threat level might be a factor in this, but you have to consider that in events like the last one we just ran, we face enemies of unimaginable influence and power and yet swarms of people still band together to fight them, and inevitably win despite that power.

Why should that be exclusive to characters designed for a particular character run by staff? Why shouldn't there be at least a swarm of people out to get the people who commit these heinous crimes? Why does there seem to be no mandated weakness in being given permission to annihilate a celestial body?

If you look at Chaos as a whole, its nothing but Strengths countered by Weaknesses. The character sheet. Every factory sheet. Every codex sheet. Everything seems to need both a strength AND weakness. As it stands, being given permission to destroy celestial objects or causing Superweapon level of destruction has no down side for the one who causes the destruction. With this rule, that destruction shall become a focal point for roleplaying beyond that singular event for a variety of people to work through in order to make that destruction more real, canonical, and solidly in the lore of Chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom