Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scherezade didn't care if Cardinal didn't think it wasn't the most flavorful meal; she saw the chicken, and she smiled. Rice and vegetables weren't things she usually touched, but animal flesh… She quickly pulled out two disposable plates and served a mountain of the food for Cardinal, and took a bunch of chicken bits for herself.

"Spicy is fine," she smiled, taking the first bite, almost moaning in relief as the chicken explode in her mouth. It was wonderful. It was better than the rations she'd been eating all week, but she was certain she'd have enjoyed it in more pleasant circumstances as well.

Was Madalena okay? Scherezade nodded. It was almost jarring just how okay she was. While she wouldn't say it out loud, she wasn't certain if Madalena was okay because Scherezade had designed her to deflect potential trauma so easily, or whether it was simply a part of who she really was. Whichever of the options though, she hoped it would stick with her once she was in her body. It was bad enough that one sister suffered constantly; the other one had no reason to.

"I will," she said with a little smile. Such care. Such love. Even if the word itself was so rarely said. It simply felt that the two of them didn't need to repeat it; they both knew they felt it, and that was enough.

Cardinal said that perhaps it was better to leave things as they were. Scherezade looked over the monitors, considering his words. It was true. Things were stable. And if anything went wrong, restarting the process could take years. But two and some months were also ample time for more things to go wrong. Not to mention, both she and Cardinal were going to have to pretend that all was normal in the meantime while taking shifts her on Kamino. How long before the pressure got to them? How long before there was a situation in which both of them had to attend to matters?

There was no easy choice to make.

It was only the touch of the hand on her shoulder that snapped her out of her thoughts, and she looked at it. It lasted only a moment, but it didn't require a genius to figure out what was likely going through his mind. And just as quickly as he had let her shoulder go, she let the matter go. It was weird for him. It would be weird for him until Madalena woke up in her new body. The best she could do, she supposed, was to let it evaporate as quickly as possible.

"No one in the Confederacy ever bothered to ask me that," she said quietly. Not when she was broken. Not when she was a drunk mess. Not when she was in quarantine. Never. Well no, not quite. Daisy had. "Almost no one," Scherezade quickly corrected herself. Daisy had tried so hard to be there for her, she would not disrespect her by not at least acknowledging that. It was only a shame that she had met her after the breaking; hadn't been able to be a proper friend in return. Once this mess was dealt with, she was going to have to fix that, try to give back somewhat to the woman who always had a warm smile and a class of cream to give her.

"I need sleeping hours, and a shower, and for things to be… All right. Not so complicated," she answered truthfully as she shook her head and grabbed another piece of the chicken, "but that's not ever going to happen, is it? Everything could crumble any moment now, or everything could go just fine only for the next Big Thing to be around the corner."

[member="Cardinal Vi'dreya"]

I am a son of the Mountain.
The man kept eating until his plate was cleaned. He tossed the empty plate onto the terminal while she spoke. Cardinal could certainly understand feeling alone, however it seemed to weigh on Scherezade in a different way than it had him. While it had seemingly hurt her it and turned him into an extreme introvert. Cardinal sat down in a nearby chair, tapping his thigh as he considered what she said.

You know if you ever want to talk to me, you can.” He told her, offering her as warm an expression as he could. A part of this moment reminded him of the time he had spoken to Madalena during the Celebrations.

Sometimes things get better.” Was all he could say to the woman's thoughts. It was true, sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't, however as it stood things were getting better, at least from his view.

Maybe things will get hard again, but as it stands soon you will have a sister and a new friend.” He admitted, his words indicating he had no plans to abandon the woman's life the moment Madalena was given her new form. The man ran a hand over his eyes, yawning softly before he smiled to Scherezade. “Do you know it's been over a hundred years since I've been on my homeworld? I think I'm going to return soon and I want to take Madena with me.” He told the woman simply, his smile fading a bit. “When I was younger, much younger, a group of Sith came to my world and killed my village. They captured me, tortured me, and…” His words died out before he could continue, instead his left hand merely pressed into his chest while he gazed down at the floor for a moment.

When I was saved by Darth Metus I thought the best way to get over my pain was to abandon my history and heritage, forget it and forge a new life as a new person. Sound familiar?” Cardinal said, smiling softly. “Well, it didn't work. In the end I became depressed and solitary.” He raised a hand, leveling it against the tube where Madalena's body was growing. “She changed that, and if she can bring the light back into my life, I'm sure someone will do the same for you Scherezade.” He said, before clearing his throat and waving a hand dismissively.

Go.” He asked, leaning his cheek into his fist while he kicked his boot onto the terminal. “You should get some rest, my friend. Whatever rest you can.” With nothing more to be said, Cardinal's eyes closed slowly, allowing the man to drift into the force, half transe and half slumber. He'd slept better here than he did away from the world anyway.

[member="Scherezade deWinter"]

Glowing green eyes stared at Cardinal as he said she could talk to him. Scherezade shifted in her place, unsure of what to make of it. Gestures of kindness were unknown territory to her, and she wasn't sure of what to say.

Opting to remain silent she listened as Cardinal spoke of his life. The parallel lines that ran between his life and hers had not gone unnoticed by her and she almost laughed. Still eating her chicken, she nodded when he asked if it sounded familiar.

"There were people who wanted to help me," she admitted after a shirt silence, "but that help came with a price. The price was to kill them."

And she was not going to do that. She still loved Gerwald, despite everything that had happened, despite his harsh words to her. And Katrine… No. The same love wasn't held in her heart for her, not after learning that Katrine's response to learning that Scherezade wanted to die was to cast a spell that would remove the guilt. But still, she would not intentionally try to kill her.

But whereas Cardinal had Madalena, Scherezade was alone on that front. She'd already seen the proof. She could save a species, deliver on all the missions, and it was never enough for anyone. For every inch gained by others, she had to fight a mile. And she was tired. So tired. There would be no light for her.

But then Cardinal called her a friend and she looked up, almost alarmed. It took a moment before her muscles relaxed, and she nodded, now offering him a genuine smile.

"Thank you," she said, returning the words he had given her in the beginning of the week.

Taking the last swallow of chicken, Scherezade got up and turned to leave. There was a small bunker room nearby, and she would make use of it now.

"I think I'm going to accelerate it," she said, turning around for a moment, "after I've had enough rest, when my brain functions better. We won't be able to keep this up for over two months."

It was hard for Cardinal to ignore Scherezade's pain. He exhaled when the woman turned to leave the room. Perhaps he should say a prayer for her as well. He was getting tired of having so much to turn to the gods for. His arms crossed over his chest and he continued to drift further into a form of slumber. When Scherezade spoke up again, his eyes opened and he turned to look to the woman. "I'll trust your judgement." Was all he could say, after all that was all he could do.

Cardinal ran a hand over his head before looking back up to the tube before him. He quickly turned his eyes to his own lap and spoke softly. "Madalena." The man pulled something from his pocket, turning it around a few times before clenching it tight in his fist. "Come back to me." He said, almost with no sense of the reality around him. "I'm going to take you back to my homeworld. Show you where I hunted, show you where I grew up." He promised, pressing his knuckles to his lips for a moment before recrossing his arms.

The sleep and the shower had done her a world of good. Scherezade had come out of the refresher actually feeling refreshed many hours later. Her sleep had been uncomfortably dark, but it had not caused her to wake up screaming, so that was good enough. It was only a shame that she couldn't reach Madalena in this particular slumber, but if Scherezade's guess was correct, it would be harder and harder to reach her the closer they got to the point in which the body was ready for her.

Walking back into the facility, this time she was the one to bring food; entire chunks of cold cut meats, hard cheeses, and hard boiled eggs. She would've preferred scrambled eggs, but that would've gotten too cold too quickly. Still, it was good food. She'd found extra fatty and sharp cheeses, and she figured that a man who had the background of a Warrior and was used to field food would enjoy it as well. Within moments the food was laid out, and she smiled at Cardinal.

"Your turn to eat and rest," she announced, her voice sounding lighter than it had the entire previous week, "I know how I'm going to do it," she said, grinning, "I figured it out while I was in the refresher. My droid calculated an 87.9% probability of it working and I think that's good enough odds for me to go for it, especially if I'm awake and alert and functioning."

Taking a slab of cheese, she chewed on it almost happily, "It's also not a far cry from our current odds of success, which stand at about 93% if Twinkle Doom's calculations are to be trusted."

Grabbing her glass of cream, Scherezade downed it almost at once, and cracked her knuckles, ready to start working.

"I put in a request for a week off," she said as her hands began to work. There was much more confidence in her movements now as she pressed buttons, the colors on the monitors now expanding and changing, "I'd appreciate company in parts of it, but you can take the whole week off from here to continue broadcasting business as usual," more buttons. More levels changing.

Pause.

This small change was going to take a few hours to introduce. There were mathematical equations to solve, a few structural changes to the growth algorithm, adjust a few gene braids… She was going to need to be focused.

"If you can bring bantha wings when you come back, I'd appreciate it," she grinned, looking at him. Friend. And mission partners, on this. "And when we're done and Madalena is in her body and in full control, I'm going to cook you both a gigantic meal.

Now go," came the last smile, and she turned back to the monitors, upping the focus on her work.

x7K6md.png

Her initial estimations had been wrong. It hadn't taken hours. It had taken two days of constant work, but the motivation and belief that she could do it had dreged her through most of these hours, helping her keep her focus up. Constant beep sent through her commdevice from her droid as he helped with the more complex mathematical calculations also proved to be a tremendous help. And at the end of those two days, Scherezade stared at the screens, her face in awe.

She'd done it.

Now she had to wait and see if it was done right.

x7K6md.png

Scherezade stared at Madalena. Inside the tube was a girl, somewhere in the eight to ten years range. Her skin had remained a darker shade and perfectly smooth, giving off hints that teenage acne would never touch her. But whereas Scherezade had worried earlier that Madalena would look nothing like her sister, it appeared that this was wrong; the body had a wider built, similar to Scherezade's, and she could see the similarities in the jaw line.

It was taking a lot of self-control not to reach into the tube and move an eyelid to see if the eyes glowed green.

But everything was stable. That was the important part. The first two days after she'd finished, the monitors were screaming all over the place. More than once, Scherezade had feared that by accelerating the process, she'd doomed the body and it would not be useable. But no. Only once did she have to interfere, using her own blood to strengthen Madalena's.

But it was working.

Two more weeks. Two more weeks and this part would be finished.

And then the harder part would begin.

When Scherezade came back in, Cardinal had been tinkering with a small metallic cylinder. It almost seemed to be the frame of a lightsaber, although the piece where a crystal should lay was empty. A few random clicks errupted out while the man leaned back in the chair, eyeing the device closely. He seemed agitated with the piece of technology and soon tossed it on the terminal in front of him. When Scherezade approached with food of her own, Cardinal licked his lips before letting out an happy exclamation. "Ah!" Kicked back from the terminal and took one of the boiled eggs, tossing it into his lips and biting into the eggs. He savored the taste of the egg while looking to Scherezade curiously. "I hope you're sure Scherezade." He said, clapping his hands together

When the woman said she had put in a request for a week off the man held his hand up faithfully. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it. I'll even give you an extra day just to make sure you get some rest. I was able to catch up on paperwork so that works fine with me." He told the woman.

Cardinal came back from the desk and stood up, clapping Scherezade on her arm while he smiled at her. "I'll pick something up. Try not to overdo it and call me if you need to." The man turned from the woman and made his way back out of the facility.

test5.png
Cardinal had returned to see to Scherezade, sure to take care of the woman's missions and properly assign her as necessary while he was gone. When he returned once again the man seemed to be returning a bit to his old self. His spirit was on the rise. Perhaps it was because things were going so smoothly, or maybe it was even that he was getting used to the fact that Madalena was no longer in her own body. Either way he was eager to see the progress that had been made. When he returned this time he was clad in a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt. He was freshly groomed and even seemed to be....slightly taller? The man had not noticed, but he had grown a few inches.

He approached behind Scherezade, whistling lowly at the young girl in the tube. "Yea....This is definitely weird to watch." He said, tucking one of his hands into his pocket. Watching the woman accelerate in growth and age was so odd considering this was the woman he was in a relationship with. It was not something he could just shrug off or ignore, perhaps he should have listened to Scherezade and not been present for this.

"So, what's next?" He asked, waving a hand to explain his meaning. "After you're done here. What are you going to do next? You can't pretend to be Madalena for much longer Scherezade. You must have some kind of plan?"

Scherezade looked at Cardinal as he entered the facilities. While she couldn't point at the fact that he'd grown a few inches, she did notice something was different. But judging by the look on his face, that something different was something good, so she just returned the smile and opted not to comment on it.

A proud grin appeared on her face as he whistled. But yes; it was weird. Could you still be in love with someone when you saw all the strange phases their body was going through? "Should I cover the tube with a blanket or something for the next few days?" she offered. Madalena's body would be entering the puberty phase any time now. Was it actually smart to give him access to seeing the process as it happened? "The next week is going to get weird. All those weird… Adult parts, developing. And stuff."

What was next?

Scherezade paused at that question, looking like an SSD hit her square in the face. She'd given it some thought, but… No, he was right. When Madalena was back, Scherezade could use a few days beyond that at most to continue to pretend to be her. And after that…

"I'm going to have to come clean, aren't I?" she sighed. She'd told him that would happen." Set up a meeting with the Vicelord and…" Crap. The Exarchs. Whereas the Vicelord tolerated her enough and had forgiven her for trying to murder him, the Exarchs weren't exactly fans of hers. She was certain they quite hated her and would've preferred it if she wasn't even around.

"They're probably going to throw me into the Pit for what I've done," she guessed, "or worse."

Sighing, Scherezade leaned back in her chair. Would they try to execute her? That was a punishment usually reserved for those who dealt with slavery from the wrong end, but she hadn't enslaved anyone. And although she'd messed with the Confederate databases, she hadn't actually put anyone in danger; the only information she'd altered was information regarding herself. Not to mention that the slicer who's serviced she'd hired was dead and she had proof of it. But…

"Maybe they'll ban me from the Confederacy," she said quietly. And then there would be two places she couldn't go to.

When Scherezade offered to have Madalena covered, the man chuckled a bit before looking to the small girl and giving off the slightest cringe. “I wouldn't stop you..” he muttered. There was definitely nothing about this process that could be healthy for their relationship, let alone their sex life. Still the man would rather not talk about it right now.

When Scherezade started speaking again, Cardinal arched a brow at the woman and her response. He leaned over the back of a nearby chair, considering what she said before merely shrugging. “Do what you want.” He told her.

I told you I've already forgiven you. My brother won't care about you tampering with some databanks at all and unless you bring it to their attention the Exarch's wouldn't notice.” He told her.

What you did was dumb and illegal but it wasn't something worth blood. The worst you'd look to is a few months of imprisonment but I wouldn't let that happen.” Cardinal had already decided he would not let Scherezade be prosecuted for her crimes, especially since they had been ultimately reversed in the end. “My point is you'll need something to actually do in The Confederacy. Why not join the Knight's Obsidian?” The man asked with an arched brow.

If you're as good as Madalena we could use you, besides It would be a shame to lose a good warrior.” Cardinal may have been the bringer of the Vicelord's justice, but even he knew people were deserving of a second chance. “Think about it. If not I'm sure I can help you find some other purpose in another branch, if you wanted to fight.

Wouldn't stop her. Smiling, Scherezade took the hint and got up, returning moments later with a blanket to cover the tube with. She'd heard it say that teenagers were super privy to their privacy anyway. Not that she had a way of knowing, since she'd never actually gone through that phase herself. If she lived long enough, she was going to extract revenge on the woman who'd stolen the chance at a normal life from her, the one that had started this entire mess that she found herself in now – her grandmother, [member="Shery deWinter"].

He then said, regarding the matter of what to do once they were done, that she could do what she wanted, but then explained that he'd already forgiven her and the others wouldn't actually do anything… If they didn't know. Scherezade sighed. Of course they didn't know. She was beneath their notice. There wasn't a reason for any of them to look into it and see that the spitfire mouse had vanished. They'd probably realized things were better without her around.

But then, if they didn't need to be informed, why would there be imprisonment? Scherezade shook her head at that. She'd been of the pebble for little over a year – but she'd been imprisoned for many years during it.

And then came the offer.

Scherezade looked up, obviously confused at the fact it was even made. Was she as good as Madalena? No. She was better on the field, because she didn't have some of the constraints that Madalena had. Or maybe Madalena would be better, but in that case it would be her entirely and nothing that Scherezade had done regarding her design.

But another purpose. Another branch.

She smiled softly. "I can't go into the Executors because the man is there. I will never be part of the Mandragora again, and if the Confederacy is wise it'll remove them from its ranks entirely and bar entrance to those who are marked by the spirits. I can't sit still enough for Archivist or Adjudicator."

That left the only the Pathfinders for her, and the options for combatants in other Confederate divisions were slim to nonexistent for those who used the Force.

"We can figure that out another time though," she said. These were simply initial thoughts. But looking up, Scherezade chewed on her lip for a moment. "Would you…" she started. No. It was silly. Why would he? Or maybe not? "Would you be willing to come with me, when I go 'fess up?" she asked quickly, before she gave herself the chance to change her mind. "You don't have to be there in the room with me. Just… A touch of support, I guess. And Madalena will be here by then so we won't be leaving her in danger or anything when it happens."

Cardinal listened to Scherezade's reasonings and merely nodded as they came. His offer was just that, an offer and it was something that could easily be handled another time. When she said the Mandragora should be removed, Cardinal merely shook his head. It would not happen, not under the watch of Cardinal or his brother. There were merely too many things thing the witches to The Confederacy at this point. Though if ever they did prove a threat, Cardinal would have little reserve in putting them down.

He'd thought the matter closed when Scherezade began to speak once again. He asked if he could be present for her when it came time for her to speak up on all that has happened. He said nothing at first, but he allowed an assuring nod to show she would not stand alone and she would not. Cardinal had no idea how Madalena would receive this woman, but if it is true that they are as sisters, Cardinal could never see harm come to Scherezade, or it would only mean pain for Madalena. An exhausting notion, but one he would fulfil regardless.

I think I'll be going home soon.” He said, gesturing to the tube after a moment of silence. “I want to show her the world where I grew up and….and I have some questions I need answered. For years I was pretending to be someone I wasn't and now...well now I feel like for me to go forward I have to go back. Hopefully this trip will do that for me. If it does not, then I'm not sure what will.” He admitted, before scratching at the side of his head.

Anyway you should go get some rest. We have a trip to Kerkoidia soon and you should get ready for it.” He told her, recalling the planet being in a roster of worlds that needed to be checked on by the order.

Scherezade's heart raced a thousand lightyears a second as Cardinal remained silent at first. Was she wrong to ask him? Was he about to laugh and say no? Perhaps she shouldn't have asked at all. While they were united on the project to bring Madalena back, while he had said he was a friend, maybe he was just being polite for the duration he needed her? Such were the thoughts that raced inside her mind in that eternal time that passed over the span of a few moments before he nodded and she released a breath of relief.

But then he spoke of going home soon. Again Scherezade found herself confused before the explanation came. While Madalena had told her nothing about where Cardinal had come from, from the way he spoke about it Scherezade could easily discern that the place he was talking about was to him similar the way Endelaan was to her, though he wasn't barred from it.

"I think she will want to help you with that," she said with a little smile.

And soon they would be going to Kerkoida? Scherezade just nodded, making a mental note to look the planet up, since its name was not familiar to her.

"Distract yourself and don't look at her while I'm gone," she warned, "it'll make things less complicated when the time comes. I'll be back as soon as I can."

x7K6md.png

It was four days later that Scherezade returned to Kamino, again bringing boxes of food with her. Cheeses and eggs were still present, but this time she'd found a container that maintained heat, so steaks, cutlets, and patties were part of the deal. She wasn't sure if Cardinal liked bread or not so she included a few rolls in the bag as well, along with beautiful yellow butter and a garlic spread.

The babysitting the body would soon come to an end. She could feel it in her bones. But was she strong enough to move a soul from the place between dimensions into a blank slate body? And not only do that, but do it properly, safely, and make sure the end result was not damaged by the mere fact she'd been involved in it?

[SIZE=11pt]"Good morning," she said softly as she entered the facilities, falling into the usual habit of laying the food out on the counter before even putting her personal bags down. "Anything happened while I was gone?"[/SIZE]

Cardinal could not help but snort at the woman's words. “Don't worry.” He had no reason to look at Madalena through her developing stages. The thought nearly brought a shiver to the back of his neck. The Galaxy used to be a simpler place.

When Scherezade returned, Cardinal had his eyes closed, leaning back in his chair with his feet placed on the terminal. The man did not open his eyes, yet his voice called out to indicate that he was already awake. “Good morning.” He returned before gesturing to the terminal. “One of the lights came on, but the AI said it wasn't anything important. Other than that it's been quiet.” He said, shrugging a bit. The days were getting shorter but somehow it felt as if they were getting no closer. Cardinal yawned as his eyes finally came open. “How much longer?” He asked curiously.

The man may have been growing impatient, or maybe he was just worried for Madalena. It was a good thing that Scherezade had sped the process up, otherwise there was no telling if Cardinal could have waited. When the woman placed the food in front of him, the man's eyes perked up. Scherezade, like Madalena, had a knack for preparing good meals. Cardinal took one of the boiled eggs, splitting it in half and biting into it. He let out a sound of enjoyment before taking one of the rolls and biting into that as well. He savored the flavors for a moment before holding the plate out to Scherezade. “Here. It's good, thank you Scherezade.

He exhaled before clapping his hands together. “I miss her.” He admitted with a slight exhale. So perhaps that was it, he was missing the woman. If nothing else, he would be happy when this was over.

One of the lights came on? Scherezade didn't care what the AI said; within moments she was seated at the terminal, fingers typing furiously to take a look at the backlogs to see which of the lights had gone on and why. A moment later she laughed, shaking her head. "She would have been a very hormonal teenager if this process had taken the natural years long route," she said, relaxing, "she'd have probably driven our father crazy if we got to live a normal life if those levels are any indication. And both sets of grandfathers too."

To the question of how much longer… "We're entering the final stages now. In a week we're going to stop the accelerated growth process and give the body another week to make sure everything is stabilized and there's no weird growth spurts remaining. That'll be a week that doesn't require us babysitting her all the time. And then… Probably a few days to get the soul transfer process done right. I'll be… I think I'm not gonna be reachable in that time. No conversations, no acknowledgements of the surroundings, nothing."

Taking the plate, she nodded in thanks, starting with a few cubes of cheese.

"If you're here during that, you're going to have to leave when it's done, before she opens her eyes," she said carefully, "the first days to weeks… They're not going to be pretty. She's going to have to learn how to control her limbs and talk and all of those things… It'll be almost like working with a geriatric patient until she climatizes to her new body. We're talking learning how to sit, stand, walk, even talk. It's not a pretty sight. Essentially the only thing that will function correctly right off the bat is her mind, which is why I'm hoping it'll take less than rather than more before she's her version of normal."

Scherezade sighed, taking another cube of cheese and swallowed before she smiled at Cardinal. "She misses you too," she said softly. What did it feel like, to be missed? Scherezade had no idea. In her short life, it seemed people mostly couldn't get rid of her fast enough.

Cardinal did not know what to say to Scherezade, not in the least. He chuckled a bit, shaking his head at the woman's words.

Scherezade began to explain what Madalena would have to go through and the man exhaled softly. So, the worst was not entirely behind them. Although it was not something long lived, the fact that Madalena would have to completely relearn how to live was a painful thought. However, there was something that caused the man to arch a brow. “Will you be ok? This ritual doesn't sound simple. If there is anything I can do to help, tell me.” Cardinal did want Madalena back, and he knew Scherezade did, but it would be a bad turn of events if Scherezade hurt herself over this. He knew Madalena would not want that, not even for her life.

He crossed his arms over his chest while rubbing the hairs that fell from his chin. What could he say? If he had to be away for that time then there was nothing to be done, at least not now. “Like I said. If you need help, with anything. I'm here.” The man pushed off of the terminal, standing to his full height while he drew his back into a deep stretch. Scratching the back of his neck, the man exhaled before turning and gazing up at the white ceilings above.

Well I guess I'll get back to Geonosis. I need to finish my sector reports and start reviewing new cases. I'll be back soon Scherezade.” He promised.

Cardinal did not know what to say to Scherezade, not in the least. He chuckled a bit, shaking his head at the woman's words.

Scherezade began to explain what Madalena would have to go through and the man exhaled softly. So, the worst was not entirely behind them. Although it was not something long lived, the fact that Madalena would have to completely relearn how to live was a painful thought. However, there was something that caused the man to arch a brow. “Will you be ok? This ritual doesn't sound simple. If there is anything I can do to help, tell me.” Cardinal did want Madalena back, and he knew Scherezade did, but it would be a bad turn of events if Scherezade hurt herself over this. He knew Madalena would not want that, not even for her life.

He crossed his arms over his chest while rubbing the hairs that fell from his chin. What could he say? If he had to be away for that time then there was nothing to be done, at least not now. “Like I said. If you need help, with anything. I'm here.” The man pushed off of the terminal, standing to his full height while he drew his back into a deep stretch. Scratching the back of his neck, the man exhaled before turning and gazing up at the white ceilings above.

Well I guess I'll get back to Geonosis. I need to finish my sector reports and start reviewing new cases. I'll be back soon Scherezade.” He promised.

Would she be all right? Scherezade didn't have an answer to that, not really. She knew the ritual would take a lot out of her, that it would be long, and that it would be hard. It was something that even most Masters in the Force struggled with, and she'd never even been acknowledged as… Well, as anything, really. There were things she could do that transcended any potential rank with the Force, and there were things she still couldn't even do at all.

But now that she thought of it…

Scherezade looked at Cardinal. She knew her truly wanted to help and she was thankful for that; but how could he help? The ways she thought of were against Confederate policies. They would not give her slaves to drain or even random people to-

Hold on.

"Actually, you can," she said, jumping up, "I'm going to need living people to drain to death to make sure my own energies and abilities remain up."

Both essence transfer and force drain were inherit Darkside powers. Scherezade was, despite what a certain friend of hers tried to claim, a Sith.

"Think you can manage to bring me a bunch of slavers that haven't been processed yet? Maybe fetch them from the Tatooine underground or something. That planet never seems to be short of them. Doesn't even have to be human, just an adult for whatever the species is."

Cardinal paused to consider the woman's request. It wasn't much of a question of could he do it, it would be simple enough. However the question was how many? The man nodded, bending his neck before a loud pop finally erupted. He exhaled in relief before pressing his hands on his waist. “I'll do what I can.” It was all he could promise. With that, Cardinal made his way out of the room. It seemed he'd have a long few days ahead of him.

When finally Cardinal returned, it was not alone. He moved through the halls of Kamino with a certain expression. Finding slavers to face death was easy enough. With the mantle of Dominus it was a mere signing of a paper to transfer their lives to him. They were scheduled for execution on Kamino through unconventional means, still he only dared to take four men. Rodians, who had been awaiting trial for slaving on their own homeworld. It had been Cardinal who dismantled their slaving operation and taken them down to begin with. It was fitting he lead them to their deaths. Electrochains bound the men together as he marched them through the hall. Their throats had some odd contraption fastened around it, which prevented them from speaking and made their minds a haze, all the easier to exploit through The Force.

It was through the Force that they so willingly followed him. He'd enthralled their minds so they would stay close to his heels and extremely docile. When they entered the room, Cardinal gave them a silent command to enter first. They led the way and the man pushed them in with a contemptful glance.

When he finally approached Madalena he pressed a hand to his temple. A slight push into The Force caused each of the men to collapse. They fell to the floor lifelessly, as their minds were stripped from the conscious realm. Cardinal stepped one of the men's backs as he crossed over them. “Stupid karking slavers.” He muttered, before looking to Madalena. “Will this do?” He asked, gesturing back to the group of unconscious Rodians.

Cardinal had taken Scherezade by surprise. She'd asked for slavers, but she hadn't them expected to arrive so quickly. There was still another week and a half to go before she needed them, before the ritual could take place. The look on her face showed just how surprised she was – for a moment, before that surprised turn into a smile.

"They will do," she grinned, "but there's about ten days left before we need them. We'll put them in stasis fields until then."

And remember to feed them, she thought. Wouldn't do her much good if they were starved.

Walking over to the tube, Scherezade uncovered the blanket that was covering it, smiling proudly. While Cardinal was gone, Madalena's body had almost finished growing. The puberty phase was mostly done, and Scherezade had covered her in linens to maintain her physical privacy.

Madalena's skin was kissed by coffee, entirely smoth. Though her eyes were closed, it was easy to see that they were big, with thick black lashes. Her hair resembled Scherezade's; long, full, and a dark brown. Scherezade thought her sister had grown beautifully. They were roughly the same size, she assumed, which was a blessing since it meant Madalena would have clothes that fit right off the bat.

"It's going to work," she whispered excitedly, "I know it is. Because of the last weeks, her appearance in the space between dimensions has been changing as well. This is what she looks like when I speak with her now. So it has to work."

The Sandali man glanced back to the prisoners before shrugging his shoulder a bit. “I couldn't be sure there would be any closer to the date you'd need them. We don't usually keep execution cases for a long time. It's a fast road to the Petranaki arena.” He admitted before handing Scherezade a small remote, a device used to control the slavers collars.

When Scherezade made her way to the tube, Cardinal watched her remove the blanket. Madalena's body was nearly finished and that caused him to exhale in relief. Only two more weeks and then she would be back in her body. Cardinal nodded at the sight before taking a seat, eyeing the console for a moment. “She's beautiful.” He muttered, before looking to Scherezade with a smile. “You've done a good job Scherezade.” He had to admit, when she first pitched the plan to him, he was not quite sure how things would work out, but it was all going well so far.

Only a few more weeks.” He said, looking to Madalena's body with a slight smile.

She'd done a good job. Scherezade offered Cardinal a small smile. She had, hadn't she? Against all odds, kept her true identity a secret not once but twice; first with Madalena convincing people she was actually Madalena, and then as Scherezade, convincing people she was Madalena. On top of that, she had found the way to reach out and get help, get the things needed done so that the real Madalena could have her body. For the first time in her year and bit of life, Scherezade actually felt as though she had created something rather than destroyed it. And soon the time to destroy it all would arrive, she knew. The current situation would not last forever.

x7K6md.png

It was weeks later. Scherezade had spent those weeks going back and forth from Kamino, going on plethora of missions while pretending to be Madalena, while pretending that everything was fine and normal. It was exhausting. And it made her terrified. Madalena would be back, and her time of pretending to be her was coming to an end. There would be no more respectful looks, no more pleasant smiles, no more any sort of care from those who surrounded her. By the end of the night, Madalena would be back, and then…

No. She couldn't think about that now. Scherezade knew she needed every bit of focus and power she could gather to herself, and thinking about the dark future that awaited her once the pretending was over would do her no good.

With close to no effort, she moved the four prisoners [member="Cardinal Vi'dreya"] had provided her with to the four corners of the room, each symbolizing a wind direction. "Whatever you see, whatever happens," she said as she looked at Cardinal, "stand beneath the doorframe, or outside. I'm going to use the prisoners as a protective ring while I do the thing, I can't vouch for your safety if you enter it."

Sighing, Scherezade looked at Madalena's body. It seemed to be sleeping, the only machines connected to it now simply ones to ensure she remained unconscious. A small white sheet covered her for some privacy, but that would soon be removed as well.

"First step is for me to manage to snatch Madalena's soul from the place between dimensions and bring it here," she said out loud, half to calm herself down and remind herself that she knew what to do, the other half to help relax Cardinal so he would know what would be happening. "Without going to sleep, without using stims… I'm going to probably have to see if I can do an Astral Projection."

Then was the matter of the Transfer Essence. A darksider ability that was considered among the hardest to do, usually reserved for Sith Maters alone. Scherezade had never even been recognized as a Knight anywhere. But she would do with what she had. She was a Sith, even if others questioned that. She was a Blood Hound and matters of blood and sometimes life were in her hands. And she was the scion of three powerful bloodlines, which were all one of the sources of her strength. Her personality would not be a problem once the ritual began – her personality would not matter. All that mattered was success.

Quietly, Scherezade placed a glass jar near Madalena's head. "This is where I will put her soul," she said quietly, "and then transfer it into the body."

Almost, she almost asked Cardinal if he had any questions. But no. Any question at that point would deter her from trying, would cause her to believe she had to rethink and push this away by weeks more. So there would be no more questions.

"Go to the door and turn around," she said, closing her eyes, "I'm going to remove the covering from her. She gets to choose when you see her naked for the first time. Not me, not you."

As soon as he was turned, Scherezade removed the sheet, and now she was glad that Cardinal was not looking, because the next thing she did was lay directly next to her soon to be sister's body and close her eyes. This was the body, this was the vessel, this was what they had been working on so hard and for so many weeks.

Scherezade sang softly. There was no meaning to her song, no words that could be discerned in Basic or any other language that she knew of. But it was an old song, so ancient that none lived who remembered it, aside for those who had come from Endelaan. It was a lullaby sung in the language they spoke before the Ancient Sith had come to the planet, before Basic had even existed. It was a song that mothers sang to their children, siblings to each other, and loved ones one to another. It was a song of love, a song of dedication, a song that would never be heard by those who did not matter.

And right now, it was a song for the both of them – for Scherezade and Madalena.

She sang it twice, from start to end, humming the musical parts, before she began to gather the Force around her.

Caridnal would be able to feel it beneath his skin. What begun as just a gathering of power now became something much, much deeper. Scherezade's singing and humming resumed, ever becoming stronger, the power continuing to gather.

And then Scherezade opened her eyes, and a familiar scene extended before her. The waters of the sea breaking at the beach were a near black, their foam a fine white. The skies above them were a pale gray, managing to be both bright and glum at the same time. The sand between her toes was a gray as well, but a dark one, coarse and uncomfortable. The place between dimensions; or rather, how her brain translated it in a way that her human mind could understand what she was seeing. The sea, the sky the sand, none of it was real. Yet the big contrast compared to when Scherezade was there, was that now there was no Darkness in the sky; wherever she looked, there were no clouds of Nothing coming to make their way to try to grab either of the Endelaan Princesses.

"Is it time?" Madalena asked, her own glowing green eyes looking at her ever so slightly sister.

"I hope so," Scherezade answered. The two looked at each other.

"You're scared," Madalena laughed, "I've been dreaming of this moment for so long, but I was sure that I'd be the one who was scared. Why are you scared, Scherezade?"

"Because I might screw it up. Because there's a body waiting for you, and it looks just like you look now, but I might still do the wrong thing because I've been doing the wrong things every step of the way since I came out of that dumb pebble. Because everything has gone so smoothly so far, but it's still me, and I cause clustercracks, and if nothing's gone wrong so far, it has to go wrong now that we're ready to finish it. And because if everything goes fine now, it'll just boomerang later. There is always a price to pay, and I'm always the one to pay it."

Madalena nodded. Her sister had always been scared. When Scherezade returned from this very place, Madalena had a glimpse into her mind, into her memories. No, not everything. But enough.

Closing the distance between them, Madalena wrapped her arms around Scherezade, holding her closely.

"You are not going to fail with the ritual. You are going to take me out of this place, and put me in my new body, and you will guide me as I learn to use it. You have taken the wrong step every step of the way besides the one with which you summoned me. You saved my life, and we will be sisters. Properly, this time. No betraying, no heart breaking. And when whatever it is you think will come to claim the price, I will be there with you, and we will fight it together."

When Scherezade raised her head from Madalena's shoulder, her face was wet with tears. She tried to speak, but no words would come out of her throat now, so there was little she could do other than miserably nod. There really was no choice anymore at that point. Nothing they could do but power through.

Her hand came up from Madalena's side and she closed her eyes. The two remained there, standing quiet. Later, Scherezade would try to understand how Madalena knew what to do, how to move. Now… Not was just the time to do it. Her hand came forward, against Madalena's left breath, and went through it, her fingers wrapping around the heart that beat bloody and warm.

When Scherezade pulled her hand back, Madalena's heart was in it, intact, beating at a lazy pace. She looked up at her sister, and Madalena was smiling.

The beach around the two began to disappear. Scherezade heard the singing before it vanished entirely, though she couldn't feel her own mouth move. Slowly, the sky turned from a bright gray into a pitch black, and with it disappeared the water and the sand. Still the song continued, went on, the humming dipping above and below.

It was not until she opened her eyes, hours later, that the singing stopped. Scherezade sat up and looked wildly around, trying to remember where she was, what she was doing. The jar… She picked the jar up, inspecting it. She'd always expected a soul to be like a shining orb, or like water, but to the naked eye, the jar seemed just empty. If it was not for the Force, she would not know that a soul was actually in there.

Madalena's soul.

"First part complete," she said, out of breath, not really looking at Cardinal or checking to see if he was there. If he'd say but the smallest word, she might lose what she had gathered.

The Force was so tangible in the chamber, and Scherezade felt as though she was swimming it. But she had to get off that table, had to distance between herself and Madalena. The jar was returned to its place and Scherezade looked at the prisoners gathered. Snapping her fingers, the one who was standing in the Northern part of the room opened his eyes. The anger in them was immediate. Perfect.

Scherezade reached forward with her hand, never even touching him. The prisoner's face began to dry out almost instantly, the effect of what she was doing to the rest of his body unseen because of the clothes he wore. A gurgled sound escaped from his throat, but where there was no moisture, there would be no actual sound, and within moments he dropped to the ground, his body looking like an overdry raising.

The Sithling licked her lips. That was so much better. "Life pays for life," she said out loud, and her voice sounded nothing like her own; it had taken a deep dark hue to it, as though it was coming from the very depths of her stomach, sounding deeper yet more confident, as though the terrified girl that had been there until hours ago had disappeared entirely.

Turning to the South, Scherezade repeated the same action, and now the prisoner dropped even faster, though he had managed to get a scream out. "I take life, and I give it," Scherezade said with the very same voice, turning then to the remaining two. They were both permitted to awaken together. "Death fears touchig me or mine," she said, and they both came down to their knees. It was not their lives she wanted, not by performing the Drain. No. There were better ways, other ways.

Both prisoners began to scream as the blood came down from their noses. The room itself became darker, the light bulbs exploding one by one. "I am the Blood Hound, and the blood is mine," Scherezade growled, the thickness of the Force and the darkside increasing within the room. The prisoners continued to scream as blood became to come from their mouths, their ears, their eyes. There would be no escape for them.

"Through the blood I gain power. Through the blood I gain strength," Scherezade continued, "I am Scherezade deWinter, Princess of Endelaan, daughter to Queen Nessarose deWinter and King Diomedes Antares. I am the only female to come of my mother's womb. I am the Blood Hound. I am the Pebble, the Loving One, the Broken One, the Not-Dead One. I am the blood and the blood is mine and by the blood mine is the power and strength to take life…" the prisoners gave their final screams as the blood exited their bodies; no longer in streams from their holes but now pulled through their very skin, forming first growing and welting bruises before at last the splash made it through, covering both Scherezade and Madalena in blood that did not belong to them, "and mine is the power to give life," Scherezade whispered.

Grabbing the jar, Scherezade threw it with all her strength against the floor, seeing it shatter into thousands of pieces. She could feel her own legs bleeding from the pieces of glass that got wedged into her flesh, but she paid it no mind. Madalena's soul was free. It was not supposed to be free.

"I bind you, Madalena," Scherezade screamed, "I bind you to this body. I bind you to this empty vessel that had been grown specifically for you. I bind you not by your own will but by mine. Enter the vessel and LIVE!"

If moments ago the room had been pitch black, there were no words to describe the darkness that took it over now. It was a darkness deeper than black, a nothingness that reached as far as one's hand would be allowed to go forth. If [member="Cardinal Vi'dreya"] turned around now, he would see nothing, he would feel nothing, and he would know nothing or what was happening in there.

But to Scherezade and Madalena, there was no nothing. Madalena's soul struggled, trying to grasp the freedom it had been given, trying to run away back to the space between dimensions, trying to do anything but get into the body that had been created for it. Scherezade screamed and reached out, demanding her sister's soul to return to her, but it was beyond her grasp. She could see the Darkness coming, the Darkness trying to eat at it, take her sister away, take her promise for the smallest shred of family love away from her.

Scherezade screamed again and took a step towards it, her bare feet landing on crushed glass, her own blood now definitely joining the mixture of the mess that was on the ground. This was it. This was where everything was going wrong. This was where she would lose her sister, her body, everything. Tears formed in her eyes and she screamed again, trying to reach for the soul that just kept fading and fading away.

Time no longer existed. Scherezade was running now, chasing after the soul, trying to save the newest clustercrack she had caused. She couldn't let it go. If Madalena was leaving, so was she. Into the void, into the Darkness, into the only place that she had ever truly known. She couldn't leave Madalena to face the Darkness alone, not after all that had happened.

The soul she was chasing had hit a wall. It tried to hit into the wall time and time again, but it did not help. The soul had nowhere to advance to, and Scherezade was gaining on it. Still it remained slippery as an eel, unwilling to do her bidding. "Madalena…" Scherezade whispered. She couldn't understand, did not comprehend, why it was running, where it was running to, what had gone so wrong.

Scherezade stopped. She couldn't. She just couldn't. She had once again reached for powers beyond her understanding, had ruined everything. With her bare hands she had killed her own sister, could not grasp at her to bring her back. Her knees folded and she wrapped her arms around her legs. Madalena's soul was so close, yet she could not touch it, could do nothing with or to it.

The sobs that came from her sounded like nothing human. They were the sounds of a wounded animal, almost knowing it was dying, that there was no way to save matters. It was the sound of breakage, the very same sound she had made that terrible night when she had come out of the Darkness after years of torture. The knowledge that once again she had been close to something good only for it to be entirely ruined by her own doing.

The same would happen. She would leave this place and be alone again. Cardinal would be furious with her. The Exarchs would vote to have her executed. She would survive, somehow, but she would be a broken mess, unable to function outside of a battlefield, unable to love or be loved, unwanted everywhere she went. She would continue to pay the price for everybody else's happiness while continuing to lose everything.

There were no words that could properly describe the anguish and the pain.

A hand was upon her shoulder.

Scherezade jumped up, looking, confused. Green eyes peered down at her, eyes that were just like hers, glowing with ferocity, but… But there was a smile in them. Slowly, Scherezade allowed her gaze to travel outside of the eyes, look at the head they were in, see the shape of the bones, the long dark hair, that… That smile. And that smell.

"M... Mom?"

[member="Nessarose deWinter"] smiled and nodded, pressing a finger to her lips to shush her sweetling, her only daughter at this point. She leaned forward and placed a kiss on the top of Scherezade's head before extending her other arm, calling Madalena's soul back to them. Ever so gently, Nessarose placed the sold in Scherezade's arms.

"She is my daughter too," Nessarose whispered, caressing Scherezade's cheek in a way that only a mother could. "I love you. And tell your sister I love her too. I am doing everything I can't come back… But it may be years before it happens. Never forget who you are, Scherezade. You have so much of your father in you… And it nearly destroyed him as well. I wish I could make you comprehend what is within you without you needing to waste years figuring it out. But remember… You are my daughter. You are not the pebble. You are a Princess of Endelaan. Now go back and bring your sister to life. I love you. I will always love you."

There was no time to even blink. Scherezade was back in the pitch black room, and Madalena's naked body was in front of her. Moving quickly, she slammed the soul into her chest, her screaming renewing itself. Again and again she slammed, screaming all the while. Scherezade saw red, saw blood red everywhere she looked at, and she continued, beating Madalena's body, trying to shove the soul into it. Her screaming became louder and louder until she could hear nothing else, until there was nothing else.

And then everything went dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom