Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't You Hear Your Babies Crying?

Thainbroek
Midvinter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJey2dkiAI​
The birth of her second son had been wrought with worry and despair. For days she had sat by the newborns side as the nurses fussed over him, as healers came and went, and she was warned of the very low chances of survival. Premature births were not uncommon, but the life of the babes always hung in the balance.

He had been so cold to the touch. Perhaps it was worsened in her mind by the fact that both the men in her lives were like walking furnaces, a light burned within their cores which radiated from their skin. Theryn, however... Poor little Theryn... He was frail, sickly, and oh so very cold.

Glancing to the babe in her arms, swaddled in a multitude of blankets and furs, she could not help but smile and murmur a short prayer to the Gods she had only recently adopted. His eyes were open and set up to hers, his little hands and feet fussed where they were swaddled, and his chest rose and fell with life.

It was one of the warmer days on Midvinter, the first Theryn had seen outside of their home; Kära had taken it upon herself to bring both of her boys out for the day, little Thrand stood at her side holding onto her free hand, he seemed to like their spontaneous adventures into the City they called home.

"Keep close, my little Sunshine," she whispered with a tender voice, smiling to her eldest boy, "The Market is busy this time of day. Would you be a good boy and help me pick out a few things?"

Before them the market sprawled, full of life. People moved swiftly all around, cutting in front of one another in their haste to make it from stall to stall before work called them, or their husbands, or children. As a woman short even by human standards, she was largely overlooked. Luckily for her there were a few of the Houseguard lingering close by, keeping watch to ensure nobody stepped on them. No doubt from his place so far down the men and women seemed like giants to young Thrand.

"We need to pick out some toys... I'm afraid I don't know which are the more fun toys, Snowball, but you do, I'm sure." There were also clothes to find, and other such necessities, but she doubted her son would be interested in picking those out. "There are lots of little boys and girls who are not as lucky as you are, Sweet One, what say we bring them a little joy?"

She wasn't stupid or naive, she realized that a few toys and some clothes would hardly make a world of difference. The children they were going to visit today were orphans of the war, whose parents bravely fought and died to keep the world safe and free. Looking to her youngest child, she was reminded all too well of how fickle life could be. No more would she take such for granted.

The little prince didn't really understand all that's happened lately concerning their family, with mother's tummy swelling like a balloon and then one day there was a tiny baby in her arms. Was that how he had come into the world too, as well as everyone around them? Father had been so worried, first for mother and then for his little brother. He'd told him again and again when they were together to always watch over Theryn. That he as the older brother had a duty to keep him safe. Thrand took his words to heart, and promised himself to never ever let harm come to his brother.

So when mother asked if he would like to accompany her on her day out he was more than happy to seeing how Theryn would always go where mother went. Holding her hand as they walked, Thrand couldn't help but think he was keeping her safe as well. She seemed so tired after his brother's arrival, even though weeks had passed. He could see why father worried about her so.

"Hmm," he gave voice to his thoughts. "I like the ones with wheels. You can race them against each other." Looking up at his mother and the babe in her arms, he smiled innocently. "Like the horsie uncle Thurion gave me on my birthday!" He took the lead on this one, tugging at her hand and clearing a path as best he could through the crowds. He knew just who to see for the best toys.

"Hello, Wynne," he greeted the person tending the stall. The visibly elderly Beorni bowed her head in a slow, deliberate motion, but said nothing for she did speak the common tongue. "We need toys, lots of them," he was more than happy to announce, and the elder smiled wide and nodded. Slowly she turned around, only to return to them with a whole basket full of wooden toys. Upon handing it to them Wynne gave Thrand a pat on his head with her large hand covered in ragged, grey fur. She then bowed her head again, this time to the White Queen and her newborn.

Thrand took the basket in both hands and smiled. "Thank you! I'll bring something nice from the kitchens when we're done for the day."

[member="Kära Hearthfire"]

Pride bristled within her as her sweet summer boy led her through the market in search of a specific stall. What had she done to deserve such unhindered innocence? The Gods had truly smiled upon she and Thyrian, despite their past actions. It was as though all they had done before coming to Midvinter had been forgiven the day they sought redemption. The day they gave up the darkness they had walked within for so very long.

Tears formed at the gratitude she felt toward the Gods, and the love she held for her children.

"It was a fine horse" she smiled, as they wound between people - making quite the work for their guards who were nowhere near as small or deft as the trio. "Did you ever name it?" Imagination was important, especially in children. It helped them to understand empathy, responsibility... Things poor Mysa wasn't introduced to until much later, and things Kära herself had never had the opportunity to learn. Her daughter, at least, had taken to it quickly... She had the Sun God to thank for that.

In no time at all they stood before a large stall, behind which a Beorni stood. Kära had not seen one in person, at least not up close like this, and so for a moment she was in genuine awe. The babe in her arms babbled quietly, his voice never loud not even when he was crying, and he extended a hand out curiously, reaching for anything and everything with his teeny tiny hands.

"Wynne" she smiled, taking a leaf out of her son's books. It would not do for her to be ignorant of the Boerni's name, or any of their citizens if their names were presented to her... She was their Queen, she would not slight them. Her brilliant boy took over, asking the elderly Beorni for some toys and promising a treat from the kitchens as payment. Kära wondered if the trade was fair, so when the basket of toys was handed over, Kära tilted her head to one side and pondered for a moment.

"I will make you something special, to show my gratitude, and if there is anything I can help you with you need only ask, My Lady."

She did not know how else to refer to the Beorni, better to be overly respectful than risk disrespect.

Glancing to her son she lifted a hand to ruffle his hair. "Do you think that you can carry the basket, my strong boy?" The idea of having to release his hand in order to carry it worried her, the sooner they were out of the busy marketplace the better.

Together they ventured back the way they had come, much to the relief of their Guards, and a curious look came over her expression. "I hear that you met with Lord Varamund's son yesterday, Thorrand?" The Guards stepped into place behind them as they ventured through the quiet streets, Kära decided that she would have clothes sent down once she knew how things were in the establishment, there was no sense in only a handful of children benefiting from their visit.

When men and women stepped forth to see the new Prince she smiled and though she kept him close to her bosom she allowed them their glances and a moment of her time. "Did you have fun with the boy, my little Snowball?"

Just a few more blocks before they would reach the orphanage... Part of her hoped that the place was not overflowing, but given the recent state of things she knew that was unlikely.

[member="Thrand Hearthfire"]

"I named him 'Horsie'," Thrand proudly replied with a big grin while taking the basket in both hands, using what little strength he had to keep it from tipping over and spilling the toys onto the cobbled street they walked on. "Thorrand was nice, I hope he and his father will stay long! Him and papa looked like they had much to talk about. I showed Thorrand the best hiding spots so we could beat the other kids at hide-and-seek." He did have plenty of time to find the perfect places to hide in, after all. Father would sometimes play too, but he always found him eventually.

As they wandered the streets people would stop and pay their respects, even though they all towered above the three. Thrand decided to raise the basket above his head to rest on, holding onto it with one hand so it wouldn't tip over while freeing the other so he could take his mother's hand. He didn't want to risk getting separated from her as large crowds still made him uncomfortable, even though nobody would ever lay a hand on him.

Letting go for a brief moment to reach into the basket sitting atop his head, he pulled a stuffed bear out of it and handed it to his little brother resting against mother's bossom. "Look, Theryn! This one is for you," he offered the bear to take in his tiny hands before once more clutching his mother's hand. When the trio finally found themselves outside the orphanage, Thrand set the basket down on the ground. "Do these children not have mommies and daddies," he turned to look up at Kära with a slight frown.

"Horsie" she said, with a beaming smile of pride, "Such a fine name, for a fine creature. Your Uncle is so good to you, perhaps we should visit him at Fridheim? No doubt little Thirdas will be happy to see you again, my sweet boy."

He was stronger than he looked as he hauled the little basket through the streets. The way cleared for them as they approached, the good people of Thainbroek had become somewhat accustomed to looking for signs of the smaller Umbarans by now, which was a good thing... She didn't want to be stepped on.

"I'm glad that you enjoyed his company, from what I hear he should be staying for quite some time. Plenty of time for hide and seek, no?"

She reached for her son's hand when he offered it and gently pulled him close. Her firstborn son, she could not bear the thought of losing him. When he released her grasp to reach for a little teddy however she looked down to him curiously. He really was such a sweet and pure child. Little Theryn immediately reached for the gift, chewing on its ear with his gums and cooing to his brother in gratitude.

He would make a good King one day.

When they reached the orphanage she could feel his uncertainty. Her heart broke for him, it was a difficult thing to realize - that there were plenty in the Galaxy who had it far worse than they. Who did not have the guiding hand of their Father, or the loving embrace of their Mother. The price that had to be paid for freedom and security.

"They do not, my sweet, their parents died fighting in our wars. Against the Vinterbound from the North, and the Invaders from beyond the Veil." That was how many of the Valkyri referred to them, why not follow suit. "But... In a way, that makes them our children. Our responsibility. We may have failed in part to protect their parents, but I will not make the same mistake with them. Shall we see them?"

"Then... they are all my brothers and sisters?" came his conclusion to what his mother has told him, and right away a sense of duty towards his 'siblings' came to life inside him. You must keep your little brother safe, Thrand. Always, no matter what. Those had been father's words, spoke to him with utmost seriousness. Surely they applied to his other siblings as well?

His otherwise green eyes flickered to life with blue flames for but a moment, and without much difficulty at all did he lift the basket of toys under one arm while taking his mother's hand, his grip suddenly stronger than before as he took the lead, entering the orphanage with her and his brother in tow. The staff had been told of the Queen's visit beforehand and as she and her two sons entered they had all lined up along with all the children gathered around them, from toddlers not older than Theryn to boys and girl almost in their teens. All of them looked different from one another, but all had one thing in common.

None of them had parents. A home. A family.

All those eyes looking at him had Thrand's newfound confidence wavering, so much so that he sought his mother's protection, peeking out from behind her legs with the basket now sitting on the floor on full display. Naturally the children got curious, and as the first carefully stepped forward to investigate he pulled out a wooden toy sculped with such fine craftmanship it almost made him cry.

Seeing this, Thrand re-emerged to handle the giveaways, digging into the basket for more toys to hand out. When one of the bigger kids stepped forth, easily twice his age and far more tough-looking, Thrand handed him a toy like the others, expecting him to dismiss it as a child's toy. But he gratefully accepted it and clutched it to his bossom, and even began sobbing. Even big children are still just children, Thrand learned.

The lightest of chuckles left the woman as her boy made his remark, joined with a beaming smile. What had she done to deserve a boy so sweet, so pure of heart? "Yes, sweet boy, they are your brothers and sisters, and what do we do to brothers and sisters? We protect them, fiercely."

Her hand lifted to settle upon his head, ruffling his hair for but a moment. He was so aware of the world around them, of the responsibility he bore to his family and the people he would one day rule, he understood what it was to serve them. For one so young it was remarkable. As his resolve firmed and he took her hand she allowed him to lead the way forward into the building. It was... somewhat dark inside. Dingy to say the least. The majority of the space was taken up by bunks which lay behind a thin wooden half wall, and aside from that it was pretty much just one longhall. From their vantage they could see from one end to the other, and between there children. Countless children, all lined up as though waiting for them.

It broke her heart to look upon each of their faces, from the youngest to the oldest and their caretakers. She deduced almost immediately that there was not adequate space enough to truly house them all, and many of their clothes seemed ill fitting. Her lips set as she tried not to tear up, keeping her composure, and instead she watched curiously to see what her boy would do.

Out from behind her legs he finally scurried, to pass out toys to each of those who stood before them. No words were exchanged, just eyes which spoke of distrust and amazement, of a longing, and of complete gratitude when they too were handed a toy. Even the older children could do little to hold back their tears as they were gifted their first real possession in who knew how long. For many it would have been their first.

Trusting her little ray of Sunshine with the children, Kära herself turned to face the staff.

"You are bursting at the seams" she said, with a voice that betrayed her heartbreak, "That simply will not do. You are in need of an appropriate space, and funding... I promise you, I will have it seen to personally. Food, clothes, anything you need for these children you need only ask."

The women seemed confused, surprised, and one even shook her head, "We can't accept that, Your Grace, we have nothing to give in return."

Now it was she who shook her head. She stepped forward, gently taking the woman's hand into her own as she held Theryn to her breast, and looked her in the eye. It was no easy feat, given the height difference, but the message was conveyed all the same.

"You give this City and her people hope, you give them a future, you watch over the young and raise the next generation. How can you do this without supplies? Without space enough to house them? Without food on your tables? This is not a trade, I expect nothing in return."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom