Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Calm before the Storm

20870b0d93e46dc890adc11b68d6a2cf.jpg

Prosperity
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Lightsaber
Tag: Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el

With a heavy sigh, Valery sat down in the grass and looked around at the trees that surrounded her. She hadn't been to the Prosperity's arboretum before, but she was looking for something peaceful and quiet. On this ship out in space, it was a way to still feel connected with nature, which made it so much easier to forget about the war for just a few minutes. Together with Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble , she had been preparing for hours each day. Training together, discussing plans both for Exegol and what came after, but she needed some time away from war planning as well.

Instead, she was thinking about her family. Her husband and daughter, but also the new kids Vera had predicted through a vision. When would they come, and what was life going to look like with 4 children to take care of? This was something she loved to think about, and made her all the more anxious for Exegol at the same time.

They could not lose.

Another sigh escaped her lips, and for just a moment, she closed her eyes and allowed her senses to wander. At least, until she felt a familiar presence nearby, and he was approaching.

Prosperity
Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble

shield_core_divider.png

Jasper was exhausted.

He could barely sleep. So much was on his mind at the moment. Preparing the Shield Core was prime amongst those things, but the big looming shadow that hung over his head was Exegol. He had been right to assume that the war would be coming to a climax. He had kept it to himself, but the writing on the walls seemed to only point in one direction. That didn't mean he was ready. Far from it, actually. Jasper had never felt more stressed in his life. He had only ever known war with the Maw, even if he had been "born" before the war. Could he see it through to the end? Was he even capable of such a thing? The totality of it all was really beginning to eat away at him. The clarity he had about the disaster that would be left behind in the wake of the war certainly didn't help that. He was trying to do so much, but he couldn't feel anything other than helpless.

"Are... you okay?"

Phyla had piped up, the shard that had come under his care. He had promised to show her the Prosperity, which seemed to capture the young, carbon based lifeform's imagination. Unfortunately, she was also proving to be an effective empath. Far more than he had anticipated.

"Yeah," Jasper insisted, giving a smile. "I'm fine. Why don't you do explore? I've got some... business to attend to."

"Okay!" Phyla nodded, her awkward smile coming back to her synthetic body's face.

Thankfully she was still a child. Her low attention span at least gave him some wiggle room. As the shard bounded off, Jasper made his way to the arboretum. He was going to lie down in the grass and sleep. Maybe forget about the galaxy for a while. At least, that had been his plan. When he saw Master Noble, however, this plan sort of leapt out the window. The knight frantically attempted to rub away the bags under his eyes in an attempt to at least look moderately presentable. He gave up pretty quickly, however. It was really no use.

"Hey... Master Noble."

Jasper hadn't felt this awkward speaking to Valery since the first day he returned to the temple. He was a mess.

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Heyy..." Valery began as Jasper approached. Her fiery eyes looked him over several times, and she could instantly tell that something was up. She didn't even need to use her refined empathic skills — he visibly looked like had gone to hell and back. In a way, she could relate, although her own problems were more about the anxiety of this possible end to the war. She wasn't losing too much sleep over it but it kept her mind busier than she liked.

Patting on the ground beside her, Valery looked up and smiled "Come, join me," she told him before she scooted over a little and gave him space to sit down.

"You uh, look tired. Are you handling difficult Padawans or is it about the end of the war too? I can relate to both quite well..." she chuckled softly before running a hand up through her long hair.

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"You uh, look tired. Are you handling difficult Padawans or is it about the end of the war too? I can relate to both quite well..."

"N-no difficult students," Jasper assured. "But... The second is the case, yeah."

Jasper took the master's invitation, sitting down cross-legged on the grass next to her. Where did he even begin? There was a lot that he had been losing sleep over these past couple of days. The end of the war, of course, was at the center of all of it. So much seemed to be leading to that one event. An inevitable curtain, looming in the distance ready to close this chapter of their lives...

One way or another.

"I knew it was coming," he continued. "I-I mean the signs have been there for a while now. Everything seemed to be leading to this. I just..." Jasper paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts before continuing. "The totality is really starting to set in. I don't know what made me think we had more time..."

Of course, in a fashion that would be considered quite standard for Jasper, he was the last of his concerns. It was everyone else that were beginning to worry him.

"I've... been thinking about the visions again," Jasper admitted. "N-not like the scars are acting up, I mean. Just... thinking. I know they're probably far from prophetic, but... they still follow me."

Carnifex burned an image into his mind that he couldn't part with, even with the aid of healing techniques. Guidance from Amani and Kahlil had certainly helped, but there were some things that someone couldn't forget. Not easily.

"I'm worried about everyone," the knight sighed. "It feels like we're all on a doomsday counter."

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"I had a feeling," Valery admitted when he confirmed what was on his mind. How couldn't it be? No matter in which part of their journey a Jedi was, this last clash over Exegol was likely the most prominent thing on one's mind right now. Leaders and experienced Jedi were dreading the battle, healers were preparing for the worst, and even Padawans were gearing up to follow their Masters into what was supposed to be the end of the war.

But how many would return? Was this even a battle they'd win?

"After years of constant fighting, it's hard to imagine that there can be an end to this war. But we're really there," she said with a weak smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Like you, I worry about others as well but I also know that we can't help them if we don't first help ourselves."

Valery's hand gently and supportively settled on Jasper's shoulder, while she searched for eye contact. "The more you endlessly worry about others, the less you'll be able to help them." She let out a soft sigh and ran a hand through her hair. "We're sending our most capable soldiers and Jedi there. We have to believe in them as much as we believe in ourselves."

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

Jasper sighed. She was right. Master Noble generally was. The knight knew as much as well, but it was certainly far better to hear it from her mouth rather than just his own thoughts.

"I know," he nodded finally. "I believe in them. I wouldn't be here otherwise."

It was peaceful for a change. There was no chaos. No sudden need to spring into action. Just the gardens of the arboretum. Even with what lied ahead of them, Jasper couldn't help but relax. The Prosperity really was special. He wondered if it was just the setting or something more about the vessel that made the atmosphere so calm.

"It's hard not to worry though," Jasper remarked. "You all have done so much for me..."

A smile managed to grow on his face as he reminisced for a moment. Jasper found himself wrapped up in a memory. Only for a moment, but enough to shift his focus for a moment.

"I was kinda scared of you when we first met," the knight admitted with a laugh. "I guess I was sort of scared of everyone back then... I was just there to look through my records, and there I thought I was going to be persecuted. Thank you for meeting me that day. I... You changed so much that day. I don't know if I would've had the strength to come back otherwise." Jasper leaned back a little, taking a moment to reflect. So much had changed since then. It felt unreal. One thing was consistent, at least. "You're a good woman, Valery Noble. I don't think I'd have anyone else lead me to Exegol."

There was nobody more qualified to lead the New Jedi Order. Jasper would stand by that till the day he died.

"I don't think I ever told you about what I learned," he noted after a moment of silence. "About my father, I mean."

She had been there the day he had come looking for his origins, after all. Jasper didn't exactly recall relaying anything he learned about it in the end. He had sort of just kept it to himself.

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"It is very hard," Valery agreed with a chuckle. Even before her time in stasis, she used to worry about her Padawans so much, and her friends as well. But now she had a family. The thought of not being able to see them again was the most uncomfortable one she could have and easily kept her awake for hours at night.

"I was kinda scared of you when we first met,"

Valery blinked and turned to look at him, clearly a little surprised. Sometimes younglings were scared of her because of the way she looked, but it never lasted very long. To hear that he had been a little scared too felt... different. But what he added afterward had the Jedi Master blushing all of a sudden.

"I uh...." she brought a hand up through her hair, then rested it against her rosy-colored cheek. "That's very kind of you, Jasper," Valery said, finally with a bright and composed smile. "I've known and worked with hundreds of Jedi, if not more throughout my life. But this New Jedi Order — all of you — is the group I feel most lucky to be leading." And until the day she retired, Valery was going to lead them.

Valery then turned her gaze back to the arboretum around them, and let out a soft breath. She was never one to need recognition or approval, but it felt nice to have the support of her fellow Jedi.

"No, you have not..." she then said after Jasper spoke up again. "But I'd love to hear if you don't mind sharing your story."

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"No, you have not... But I'd love to hear if you don't mind sharing your story."

"It's only fair," Jasper shrugged. "You helped me get started after all."

Where did he even begin? Probably where it mattered; What caused his creation.

"I'm afraid my conception wasn't a pleasant one," he frowned. "My creator was driven by hatred when he engineered me... Hatred for the Sith, but it was still hatred. Jalen and I... we were supposed to be Sith-killing super soldiers of sorts, but the methods he used proved to unreliable to actually achieve his goal. He came to his senses, realized what he did and... well, ran away. I found him hiding away on Dantooine waiting to die before I discovered Jalen. The old man isn't waiting anymore. He passed after we spoke..."

Jasper sighed as he reflected on those events. He had made peace with it, sure, but the knight hadn't found it in him to forgive the old man. And how could he? Jastile had crossed a universal boundary and left him and his brother to suffer the consequences. The least the old fool could've done was raise them, but that was apparently too much to ask. Jasper worried a lot about his similarities to Jastile. If the person he was based on was consumed by hatred, what would keep him from suffering the same fate?

"I worry about becoming the thing he wanted a lot," the knight added. "A killing machine. Some perfect warrior. I'm... really good at killing Sith. That scares me."

The knight's shoulders drooped a little. He was still exhausted. The state of his body caught back up with him for a moment as he pondered on such a possibility.

"I want to be more than that."

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"You are more than that," Valery assured him after she had quietly listened to what he told her. She showed no great emotion in response to what he said, even though she definitely understood how troubling it was. Right now, most of all, she wanted to come across as serious, and offer him some advice that would hopefully help.

"The future is always in motion, as the Seers used to say. Those with strong wills and determination can shape it, and I believe it is a Jedi's duty to shape their own." She paused for a moment and watched Jasper, as his shoulders dropped. Some Jedi believed in destiny, and that line of thinking was dangerous in situations like this.

If he believed his destiny to be a murder machine.

"Ultimately, only you can change what he wanted you to be. There's no such thing as a perfect warrior and no matter how good you are at something, you must always be able to reflect on who you are, what you can and can't do, and improve or change in ways that allow you to be the person you want to be."

She looked at Jasper and offered a smile, "To me, it all starts with hope and believing in what you strife for. Don't accept what he considered your fate, or you risk only working yourself towards it."

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"You're right," he sighed. "It's really just... my own fear, I guess." A faint smile spread across his face. "Guess I really am no less organic than anyone else, huh? I... understand that it isn't likely. Some days it just creeps in a bit more than others. I'd imagine that a lot of others are having their anxieties tested right about now."

Exegol was looming just in reach, after all. There was no denying it. This would be the end of the war. There were probably hundreds of other sitting down and having conversations just like this.

"You'll be facing Kyrel then," Jasper muttered, his voice lowering. "I faced one of his Knights of Ren on Empress Teta..." That felt like ages ago now. "When I spoke about it with others, they seemed to indicate that the two of you have a history of sorts..."

Kyrel was a monster, plain and simple. Jasper had seen him on Teta, wielding a weapon capable of consuming the lifeforce of beings in an instant. He had been there at Panatha, where the planet had been rendered lifeless at his hands. To be so intrinsically tied to another, especially someone like that, wasn't something that Jasper envied. Fate may have been malleable, but some things seemed to be unavoidable no matter how hard you tried.

"I know you said the future is always in motion..." he began, "But... I don't wanna pretend like I don't know some things are inevitable."

A warm smile spread across his face.

"You can talk about it if you need to," Jasper insisted. "It seems unfair to dump my anxieties on you and not return the favor."

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"It's completely normal to feel these fears and anxieties. What truly makes a Jedi is how you're able to confront and handle them when you know they can't be avoided. It's what the trial of courage tests for those ascending to Knighthood, but all your fears don't suddenly disappear after you pass." In fact, while some fears were conquered, new ones were able to appear as well. Either as a result of severe trauma or sometimes just a change in life.

Valery was more than aware of what she feared the most and it wasn't Kyrel Ren.

"We have a very long history," she said with a dip of her head. "I once killed one of his Knights of Ren and ever since I feel as if a bond between us has formed. An unstable bond that only dissolves with the destruction of either one of us." She looked at Jasper and offered a weak smile.

"On Exegol, it's going to either be him or me." And if she succeeded in killing him, there was another important part for her to play in the battle. But still, there seemed to be no doubt or fear in her at all when she talked about this. Instead, when Jasper offered her a chance to confide in him, the woman's hand drifted down to her stomach.

"Some time ago, my daughter saw a vision. It showed our family but... with three new additions." A bright, motherly smile appeared on her face. "I don't know when exactly, but after Exegol I will become a mother again." This time, her eyes shifted to Jasper, and fear finally showed itself.

"The only true fear I have about this upcoming battle is that something there will happen that's going to change this future she saw."

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"I... understand," Jasper finally nodded, taking in what he had just been told. "You have every right to be worried, especially if three potential lives are on the line..."

The knight pondered on such things for a moment. He was by no means a parent, but he had been learning a great deal about serving as the guardian of those younger than him, be it Phyla or his padawans. There was certainly something about dynamics that shifted when you knew that the life of another was in your care, one who was typically less experienced at that. It only made him more stressed about becoming a parent, and he often wondered when Marissa would approach him about becoming such a thing. But he couldn't deny how powerful bonds like that between parent and child could be. Perhaps he didn't fully understand. After all, he didn't have a family. Not one that raised him.

"I believe in you," he finally decided firmly. "Maybe that doesn't mean much, but I've seen for myself that you're capable of things most people aren't. Perhaps I'm just too naïve... but it isn't blind faith. I've wound up surrounding myself with remarkable people. I worry... but I also trust in the abilities of everyone. And we aren't going into this alone, right? You'll see that vision through."

There were at least some benefits to his self-defeating nature. Jasper was very good at lifting up the strengths of the people around him. He was getting better at valuing himself, but ultimately he couldn't change his nature. The knight couldn't put anyone before himself.

Even if it wound up with him dead.

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"I was raised in a very traditional Enclave and never wanted anything for myself except one thing... I wanted to find someone I love and start a family. Be a wife and a mother," Valery told him in all honesty and with a faint smile. "So nothing has ever worried me more than this.." She had been afraid when Kahlil left her to confront his father, but this time, she risked losing both him and their kids.

There was nothing she feared more than that.

"I believe in you,"

Valery's expression softened, and her smile grew as he showed his support. "I'm still confident too. My husband is joining me, and I'm always at my strongest when he's close. But I also trust in everybody else to play their parts." She nodded, showing her agreement with the latter part of his statement.

"Is there anything you're looking forward to after Exegol?" Valery then asked to shift the conversation to something more uplifting.

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"Is there anything you're looking forward to after Exegol?"

"After?" Jasper noted, cocking his head. "Oh jeez, I don't know. I've only really been preparing for the aftermath of it all. The Shield Core's eaten up so much of my time..."

What was he looking forward to? No more Maw was a big one, but that was sort of a given. Maybe that his friends and brother wouldn't have to fight that war anymore? There was that.

It was time. That was it.

"I... wanna spend more time with people when this is done," he decided. "My friends, my little brother..." The knights face became red for a moment. "My partner... Maybe I can get some peace in my life before the galaxy pulls me out to the next big thing. I like the sound of that."

That was good. Oh, and there was more of course. Jasper did, after all, have a very important role to play coming up, one which had added to his sleeplessness.

"And reconstruction, of course," Jasper added. "We've been so focused on fighting... I'm excited to help get people back on their feet. What about you? Family plans, I'm sure."

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Good, you should focus on friends and... loved ones," Valery smirked a little, having picked up on his blush. But she wasn't going to tease him too much this time. "It's easy to focus so much on work that you don't even realize what you're neglecting or forgetting about. Before you know it, those relationships are damaged or you find yourself burned out."

She looked at him with a faint smile.

"I used to never take time for myself, and the concept of vacation was foreign to me. But it nearly ended up killing me once, and since then, I've made changes that allow me to be far more efficient when I work. Taking more time off to be with friends and family was the biggest change."

On the topic of reconstruction, Valery dipped her head, "Reconstruction will be important for morale too. People don't want to go from one war to the next conflict. It's just... we have to keep our eyes open. There are other threats lurking in the shadows, and even with the Maw's end, that stretch of space will be full of remnants and other dangers."

They had their work cut out for them.

"As for me, I'll likely be a lot less available for about 9 months or so. Triplets will be... difficult." She chuckled happily. "We're also going to have to look for a new apartment or home. So a different kind of reconstruction for us," she added with a grin.

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"I'm sure," Jasper nodded. "You'll need a lot more space with a bunch more little Nobles runnin' around."

A grin spread across his face. Vera was quite the active little woman. If she was any indication, Valery was going to have her hands full. The thought of it was certainly a heartwarming one. Sometimes chaos like that could be a wholesome thing. Jasper always had a soft spot for families. After all, he hadn't grown up with one. It was something that he could never truly experience for himself.

"I've been thinking about finding an apartment for myself as well," the knight began, but an awkward smile quickly spread across his face, "I don't think I can afford anything if I'm being honest. It's a nice thought though."

He could certainly dream, but realistically Jasper would spend the rest of his life living in ships. Jasper didn't see himself working for money any time soon. That was okay. He didn't need credits so long as he was making worthwhile contributions to the galaxy. That's what mattered most.

"Some time to pick ourselves up after the war will be nice at least," he eventually decided. "Some peace will be good for everyone, even if it winds up being short-lived."

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"We really do. I found out that I'm going to have triplets because Vera had taken every pillow and blanket in the apartment to make three more beds in her room for them." She snickered at the memory and had that motherly smile all over again. As cute as it was, she couldn't have three babies in a room with Vera - they'd keep her little star awake if they cried, and as they get older, they'd need more space too.

"Well, getting an apartment is something that can be funded, as long as it's not overly luxurious." She knew Jasper wasn't the type to accept credits easily like that, but it was an available fund for Jedi, meant for necessities. Living space was definitely something important these days.

"I'm sure we'll have some time of peace, but there's also going to be plenty to do. Just... don't let it stop you from taking some time to focus on yourself. I know that after I give birth to the triplets, I'll be going back into action, and I suggest you take some time like that as well."

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"Well, getting an apartment is something that can be funded, as long as it's not overly luxurious."

"I... I don't know," Jasper sighed. "Maybe. I'll think about it."

Jasper wasn't the type to accept things like that. It felt like charity, and he'd much rather that the credits go towards other things of greater importance. However, he would be lying if he said that it wasn't a tempting prospect. A more permanent housing arrangement would be nice, especially if it helped his partner. Marissa would be looking for a place when her DF work began. Maybe he could find somewhere they could both use, within reason of course.

"I'll make sure that I take some time for myself though," he nodded. "It'll be nice. I don't think I've had time to really relax since... Jeez, I can't remember. The Cobalt Club? Things have been... wild."

The knight laughed. There was certainly something comedic about not being able to remember when he took a break, even if it was reflective of how chaotic things had been with the war.

"Guess it has been too long if I can't remember."

Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Since the cobalt club?" Valery asked, clearly surprised — that felt like a long time ago, at this point. "That is way too long, so please take the time. Or I'm going to put you on an R&R 'assignment' instead of your usual work." She flashed him a teasing smirk to make sure he knew that she was joking.

She'd never actually abuse her authority like that, but she did want him to take the time off.

"If you need any recommendations for places to visit, just let me know. I've never been one to go on extended vacations, but these last few years I have been on a few. Mostly with the whole family, but sometimes alone with my husband as well."

Prosperity

shield_core_divider.png

"Or I'm going to put you on an R&R 'assignment' instead of your usual work."

"Yes ma'am," Jasper responded, giving a half salute.

It was all in jest, of course, but he really should get himself some down time when this was all said and done. All this time running around was really starting to wear him down. He did smile at her offer to provide vacation destinations. She certainly seemed like a good judge in great sights, given her unique eyes. Maybe it was worth an ask at some point...

"That might be nice" he continued, "Actually stopping and seeing the sights a world has to offer... You may have to give me some suggestions sometime."

Jasper took a moment to look around. All this talk about family and yet there was a distinct lack of chaos. With such an important battle coming up, it seemed very unlikely that Valery would be on her own. She'd want to at least spend as much time as she could with her daughter.

"Is Vera running around somewhere?" the knight asked. "I don't recall seeing her."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom