Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction By a Thread

brandon-garcia-still3.jpg

Makko was finally out of the bacta tank, out of surgery and into a room. He was quite glad he didn't remember much.

Waking in a bacta tank briefly, which would have panicked him had it not been for the drugs. Then the surgeon explaining what they were going to do to his spine. Explaining that the lightsaber had cut through his back and come within an inch of permanently paralysing him. That had been frightening, despite the drugs.

He woke once more in the bacta tank and was shown the scan of the metal pins fusing part of his spine. To be told that the recovery would be slow but that he would walk again. He had been able to flex his toes in the tank.

Makko's head was swimming as he blinked his eyes open to find himself in a new room in a comfortable bed. Anyone who wanted to see him had been allowed to visit his room for a few hours now, but they had been told not to wake him.

Last edited:
As Makko hazily drifted into the world of the living, Cora squeezed his hand. She wasn't sure if he would feel it given the cocktail of drugs pumping through his system.

Only a few days ago she'd badgered the medical staff into letting her visit. He'd been in much worse shape then – floating in a tank of bacta which kept him stable after the surgery. Cora had only been allowed to see him a few minutes, but he'd been medically comatose. Her whispered words and trembling tone likely hadn't reached him then, and she'd been shooed out of the ward before he'd awoken.

Now, she was curled up on the chair at his bedside. Drifting in and out of sleep had left her with dark circles beneath her eyes and sallow skin, but the relief on her face and in her voice was clear.

"Hey," she murmured. Cora restrained the simultaneous urge to both berate Makko and express her sincere relief, not wanting to overwhelm him. She smiled, tired but genuine. "How are you feeling?"

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

"Hey," she murmured.

"Heeey," he slurred.

Whilst he was starring into the middle distance he looked forwards Cora and smiled. Then his gaze swept slowly over the room.

"I've not been here before," he murmured.

He was slowly coming around, which meant what happened was rushing through his head. The sith had prepared a ambush, but had clearly been hoping to capture someone important.

Makko remembered lying on the floor, his hands flat on the floor submerged in rainwater. He had thought his body was just catching up with the fact that he had been killed.

"Sore," he decided. He finally gave her hand a squeeze back.

yY25iSp.png
Ship: The Red Night
Weapons:

Tag: Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

In his defense, Gatz was only late because he'd been cooking.

Gatz had been laid out in a hospital bed many, many times since meeting Valery. So he knew all too well how shit hospital food was, no matter where you were in the galaxy. He wasn't good for much beyond flying and smuggling drugs, but he could cook a decent meal, and so he had. Chicken fettuccini alfredo was a regular dish in his diet, and it was probably his best dish.

So, Gatz had paused his studies for the day to prepare some for Makko, who had gone out of his way to make Gatz feel welcome in the Order, and support him as he struggled to pick his Jedi training back up. Then, upon realizing that Cora was almost certainly at his bedside all hours of the day, he'd made sure to make her a plate too.

After all, without Cora's tutoring, he'd have flunked out of the Order weeks ago. His cooking was a poor offering of thanks for her help, but it was the best he could give her currently.

Gatz slid the door open to Makko's room, but turned his eyes back to the hallway, "the two of you better be decent, because I'm coming in and I'm not into voyeurism."

He stepped into the room, a covered serving tray in his hands.

"Hungry? I've got something a little better than the swill they're serving you here."

"Hungry? I've got something a little better than the swill they're serving you here."

"Bringing contraban to patients?"

Jalen stepped in, his posture slouched as he entered. He was getting better at joking around, but his tone was still completely flat. He'd frown and take a moment to clarify.

"Uh, that was a joke by the way," he added.

Jalen was wrapped up in a lot more of his business than he had expected. He very recently treated Saahar Saahar , who had been associated with the whole matter. Now he figured he'd do the good healer thing and check up on Makko too, at least for Cora. Luckily, she was here too.

"I read your case file," Jalen noted. "Pretty nasty surgery. I think the odds of success on that are..."

He stopped himself, realizing that he was probably bringing the mood down considerably.

"Sorry... Er, how's it... hanging."

Her situation had gotten progressively harder and harder to rationalize.

From the moment she stepped foot on Valery's ship, Saahar made a promise to ditch the Jedi and their misplaced hospitality as soon as she had the chance. And yet here she was, roaming around yet another temple like some lost little kid.

Really Jedi temples were no place for an acolyte like her. They were stifling, cloistered boxes where everyone was painfully respectful and smiled at her from across the hall unprompted. Nothing about being here should've felt remotely comfortable, and yet..

The girl sighed, stretching out her neck as she headed back to the room Valery had set aside for her. There was nothing waiting outside these walls other than a handful of angry Sith. What was the harm in allowing herself to pretend otherwise just a little longer?

It was then she caught sight of a familiar mop of blonde hair down the hallway. Jalen.

She hadn't seen the healer since being his patient on New Cov. Her leg had been healing nicely since then thanks to him. If Jalen had left her to her own prideful accord that certainly wouldn't have been the case.

She typically wasn't one to seek out conversation, but considering all he'd done for her she felt compelled to break that habit. So Saahar didn't think much of it, following after and rounding the corner a moment later.

"Jalen?" With a genuine note of excitement in her voice Saahar hovered by the door frame before her eyes settled on the patient currently bed bound at the center of the room.

She almost choked, all color draining from her face.

How the hell was he alive.

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el

"No, you haven't."

Makko squeezed her hand back, and Cora released the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

He was loopy, but he was awake. For that alone, she was grateful. She skootched closer, keeping hold of Makko's hand as she swept her finger across his brow, brushing stray curls away from his face.

"You're back on Coruscant, Makko. It was a close call, but the doctor said you'll make a full recovery. So long as you follow the proper protocols." Her smile twitched, trembling with relief. "You're safe now."

The door slid open, heralding a familiar voice. Cora's cheeks tinged pink when Gatz stepped through the threshold. The pleasant smell of a warm meal came with him.

Instead of chastising, she gave the pilot a welcoming tilt of her head.

"Oh, that smells good." The younger blonde sat up a little straighter, peering over to the tray. "How about it, Makko? Are you feeling up to eating?"

A brow arched when Jalen interjected, sassy as ever.

"But it was successful." Cora pointed out. For Makko's sake, at least. She squeezed his hand again, realizing that Jalen wouldn't be able to actually see the sharp look she'd been giving him.

A newcomer called the healer's name, pausing before they could enter the room. Cora didn't recognize the young woman, but regarded her with pleasant curiosity.

She seemed…startled? The Knight shifted her attention back to Jalen. The other brow went up, then they both settled back down as her expression evened. Threads of a darker presence emenated from the door.

"Friend of yours?"

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Saahar Saahar

Braze examined the card he'd received from Ko, turning it over in his hands. The Speeder Courier Service had ensured its swift delivery, living up to their reputation. Now, it was his turn to deliver it to Makko, who was supposed to be emerging from a bacta tank treatment. The task seemed simple enough, but navigating the medical facility proved to be more challenging than he anticipated.

The corridors were a labyrinth of sterile, white walls, each turn looking much like the last. Braze's initial confidence waned as he encountered intersection after intersection, each choice leading him further into confusion. He stopped several passersby, each providing directions that seemed to twist and fold back on themselves. After one wrong turn too many, Braze found himself standing before a directory, studying it intently in hopes of deciphering the path to Makko's recovery room.

"You're back on Coruscant, Makko. It was a close call, but the doctor said you'll make a full recovery. So long as you follow the proper protocols." Her smile twitched, trembling with relief. "You're safe now."

Makko took a breath. He let that knowledge settle in. Everything had been so confusing. Little snippets of being awake. Doctors trying to explain things when he was on enough drugs to stun a rancor. Now he had a little clarity and he had his anchor in life.

"the two of you better be decent, because I'm coming in and I'm not into voyeurism."

He stepped into the room, a covered serving tray in his hands.

"How about it, Makko? Are you feeling up to eating?"

"I'm not sure... Sorry Gatz that's so kind. I'm sure I will in a minute."

The drugs had taken the edge of his appetite and he certainly wasn't up to anything Gatz might have suggested.

"Sorry... Er, how's it... hanging."

"Hey," Makko's voice croaked a little. Feth, even talking was tiring. "I'm alright. This sucks."

She almost choked, all color draining from her face.

How the hell was he alive.

"Friend of yours?"

Makko narrowed his eyes. They widened suddenly.

"I think I'm hallucinating," he hissed. "Cos I'm seeing one of the Sith that did this to me in the doorway..."

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

Tag: Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Saahar Saahar Braze Braze

Gatz had been aiming for two things with his crass joke: to make Cora flush red in appalment, and to get a laugh out of Makko. But Makko was too out of it to really pick up on his humor, and Cora was too concerned (rightfully so) with his condition to do more than turn a little rosy. That was fine, though. He was really just here to make sure the two of them were fed, that Makko was alright, and that Cora had time to take a break from watching over him all day.

"I'm not sure... Sorry Gatz that's so kind. I'm sure I will in a minute."

"That's alright man, it can be heated up later." Gatz set the serving tray aside on a nearby surface, and turned toward Cora, "there's a plate in there for you too. I figured you probably haven't had the chance to eat, glued to his bedside the way you—"

Two Padawans showed up then: Jalen (with a joke of all things too) and a girl he didn't recognize. Gatz had been about to greet them... only for that to be derailed as Makko identified the stranger as one of the people who had done this to him; one of the people who had damn near paralyzed him.

And she had the audacity to come back and try to finish the job?

In an instant, the Jedi vanished, leaving only the murderous smuggler behind. The warmth he held for Cora and Makko was stripped away, replaced by the cold heart that had taken so many lives unfairly. He ripped the lid off the serving tray he'd brought, and snatched the sole serrated knife he'd brought so that Cora could cut up Makko's chicken. It wouldn't do anything to a Sith—Acolyte or otherwise—but it was better than flailing at her with his fists.

Gatz stepped in front of Makko's bed, useless knife in hand, fully prepared to be bisected by a lightsaber for the man.

"Cora." His voice was as cold as she'd ever heard it before, "call Valery. Now."

Last edited:

Jalen sighed.

"No, do not call Valery," he instructed firmly. "She is already aware that Saahar is here, she's the one who brought her. Do you think every Sith is one because they had a choice?"

He hated the sudden shift of the situation, but he had a duty to make sure that all patients were safe. Both Saahar and Makko were patients. He couldn't let the situation escalate. Besides, Saahar hadn't given him the injury. He wouldn't panic, remaining composed so there was at least one level head present amongst them.

"Now put that knife away," Jalen ordered. "I won't have you gut anyone in here. I believe the best course of action is to talk things out. Saahar has some actions she would like to atone for."

Jalen tilted his blind face in her direction.

"Right?"

Saahar's mind took a moment to fully appreciate the scene she'd just interrupted. Somehow the Jedi she'd watched get fatally severed by a lightsaber was alive and well, flanked by a group of friends no less.

Never in her life had she wanted to disappear more.

Like a deer in headlights, Saahar did nothing to deny the accusation. The man by Makko's bed side ignited with hostility the instant her identity came to light. It made Saahar want to slam her fists into something and scream her vocal cords raw. The hate and suspicion roiling from both men was entirely deserved, in fact it was long overdue. Being cooped up in a Jedi temple came with the added benefit of fiercely ignoring her past.

Still, never being trained on how to deescalate a situation, her hand automatically hovered over the spot usually occupied by a saber while Gatz brandished his cafeteria knife.

"What's your plan exactly?" She bristled, "Scratch me to death?"

Valery's name was definitely the sharper of the two weapons. Her initial anger was replaced by a flash of concern and a pleading look down to who she assumed to be Cora as Gatz mentioned the Jedi Master.

Thankfully Jalen interceded a moment later and vouched for her. Saahar glanced over at the healer, the entire reason she was here in the first place, and felt a distinct sense of shame. She should've just minded her own damn business for once. Sucking in an uneven breath she shot Gatz a cold look before turning directly towards Makko. The man whose life she helped to nearly end.

"I'm not a Sith anymore." Was all she could muster up for a moment. She wasn't one to talk things out without serious prompting, Jalen should've known that. "I left shortly after we uh- met."

Her eyes took a sudden interest in the floor,
"I'm not here because of any unfinished business. I'm unarmed and, for what it's worth, glad you're alive." She added, the words trailed by a weak laugh. "Sorry.."

God maybe going back to the Sith wasn't such a bad idea.

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Braze Braze

Cora blinked.

It was possible that in his drowsy state, Makko was just seeing things - perhaps this girl had features similar to the Sith who'd attacked him. Maybe - oh, she confirmed it.

Gatz reacted quickly, dull knife drawn, and told her to call Valery. Jalen bristled, told him to stand down, and not to call Valery.

Both brows went up.

Men, always thinking they're in charge.

It was strange that the person who'd attacked Makko was allowed to wander the Halls of Healing unaccompanied. Even if she'd left the Sith and Valery had given them her seal of approval, Makko had been gravely injured only a short while ago.

"That's enough."

The Knight rose swiftly, placing herself between the two Padawans. "No one is going to be gutted - but if this is one of the individuals who attacked Makko, then his hospital room isn't the appropriate place for atonement."

Both Gatz and Jalen were coming from a place of concern, so she couldn't fault them for reacting defensively. She'd have to talk to Valery later regarding the temple's newest addition - who, by all accounts, seemed genuinely anxious as she tried to navigate a hostile situation.

For now, her priority was Makko's safety and recovery. The surgery had been long and arduous, and his exhausted body didn't need any additional stressors. Cora extended a hand towards Gatz, palm flat, while her gaze swept over Jalen and Sahar. She sensed no deception from the young woman, but Cora's senses were not infallible.

"You seem to have good intentions, but he's only just woken up after surgery and spending quite some time in a medically induced coma. If you contribute to his stress-"

She glanced over to the array of monitors hooked up to Makko. A pang of headache hit her at the numbers of wires and tubes protruding from his body. It hurt to see him like this, even moreso to be in the presence of someone who’d put him here.

"-I'll ask you to leave. That goes for anyone, mind you."

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Saahar Saahar Braze Braze (get over here)

Things moved quickly and he struggled to keep up with it. Makko hadn't hallucinated. Soon Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar had a weapon, but Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el and Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania tried to talk the situation down.

"I'm not here because of any unfinished business. I'm unarmed and, for what it's worth, glad you're alive." She added, the words trailed by a weak laugh. "Sorry.."

Makko took a deep breath. He had to push himself, touch the flow of the Force. All just to get his thoughts lined up. To take his thoughts back to the moments before the sith's blade cut him from hip to shoulder.

"He's behind you," She blurted out, dumbfounded by her own words as soon as they left her mouth.

"Everyone just chill and be... quieter," Makko said. "But I'm going to want to know your story."

He glanced around the room.

"She never attacked me. Actually."

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

Tag: Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Saahar Saahar Braze Braze

The Sith who had attacked his friend was now in his friend's hospital room. Gatz was, effectively, putting his life on the line to protect Makko, knowing full well that there was nothing he could reasonably do to even an unarmed Sith. But he'd stood between her and her target anyhow. He was willing to die for Makko and Cora anyhow.

But he was the bad guy.

We always are, his mind whispered, these people aren't your friends. They'll always see you as the problem.

With the way Jalen was defending the Sith, thinking him the aggressor when all he'd done was stand between Makko and Saahar, Gatz was starting to agree with his intrusive thoughts for once. With the way Cora was threatening to kick him out, even though his only intent had been to help as best he could, Gatz felt undervalued and unappreciated.

Maybe Saahar was on the road to redemption. She deserved a chance to be better, if nothing else. Makko and Gatz had both been granted a second shot at making a good life. But his friends were trusting the goodwill of a Sith more than they trusted that Gatz wanted to protect his friend. And if a Sith was more welcome than him... then it was time to leave.

"-I'll ask you to leave. That goes for anyone, mind you."

Gatz looked down at the little knife in his hand. He placed it at the foot of Makko's cot.

"I can tell when I'm not wanted," he turned to Makko then, and gave him a small smile, "sorry buddy. I was just trying to protect you. But I'll see myself out."

He stepped past Cora then, and brushed past Jalen and Saahar, exiting into the hallway. He offered nothing to any of them—no words, and not even a look. If they trusted a Sith Acolyte over him, then maybe there wasn't a point in explaining himself to them.

Maybe he didn't want to.

Completely and unequivocally unaware of any underlying tensions, Braze had finally navigated his way to the correct room. His penchant for indoor running, a habit that blatantly flew in the face of attempts to correct such uncouth behavior, didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. Thankfully, his special cooler backpack ensured all his treats remained secure and unscathed, despite the bouncing gait of his approach. Pausing at the doorway, he noticed a new face he hadn't encountered before.

"Wow, busy day, I suppose. Hello Miss! DO you mind if I come in? Oh, hi Cora, hi Jalen, hi Gatz, hi Makko! I BROUGHT CAKE!" Braze announced, bouncing on his toes to peer into the room with an excitement that could hardly be contained. "I hope you're up for cake, Makko!" he called out cheerfully. "I also brought some Sabacc Shift cards (literally 'Uno' the card game) if anyone's up for a game or two."

Braze had thought the card was so funny though perhaps unintentional by Ko that he'd might as well pick up a matching birthday cake to go along with it. He intended to bring some fun snacks knowing full well hospital food tended to suck and who didn't like cake? Monsters; that's who didn't like cake.

Jalen sighed apologetically, hanging his head. Cora was way better at de-escalation than he was. He couldn’t help but deflate at this, feeling somewhat guilty that maybe he had made things worse. He just didn’t want anyone hurt. He’d be an awful healer if that had happened.

“Okay, I-“

"I can tell when I'm not wanted," he turned to Makko then, and gave him a small smile, "sorry buddy. I was just trying to protect you. But I'll see myself out."

“W-what? Nobody-“

It hardly mattered. Jalen felt him brush past and leave without a second to spare.

“Said that…”

His heart began to pound. All of his confidence faded and he froze up like an animal in headlights. All of a sudden his anxiety began to creep in. He couldn’t see anyone’s eyes. Were they staring at him? Did they hate him now? Jalen seemed to not even register that Braze had walked in. All he could do was turn his head to Cora, trying his best to read her aura. He was to anxious to figure anything out. The healer’s face was bright red with embarrassment and clearly fearful.

“Do… you want me to go too?” he asked.

Saahar felt as overwhelmed as the rest of them looked, struggling to keep up with the emotional whiplash between a group of people she barely knew. Cora wanted her out (understandably) but the others seemed to take her suggestion to heart as well, sulking in their own unique ways.

Gatz, for one, seemed intent on leaving, and Saahar made no move to stop him. He clearly didn't like her much and she wasn't about to try and change that. She couldn't claim to understand the finer minutia of why he did, but a part of her definitely related.

She felt (as well as saw) the spike of anxiety from Jalen in the next moment. It seemed Cora's punitive glare was felt by all. A part of her wanted to reassure the healer but that was neither her place or priority at the moment. Doing her best to not shrink away from Cora and her clear and definite authority over the room, she instead turned her attention to Makko's question.

It felt like a thousand flood lights were pointed her way.

"I uh- I mean there's not much to tell." Her hands clasped together in a nervous tick, "I was raised by the Sith as a kid so it wasn't exactly easy to leave.." Even as the words fell from her mouth, they felt like one dumb meaningless excuse. She'd still done unspeakable things, no amount of mental gymnastics could absolve her from that. "I honestly don't know who we were looking for back on Jabiim, I was just.. A henchman I guess." The girl grimaced slightly, remembering Vazz's betrayal and how it almost cost her life. "Clearly a dispensable one."

"Anyway Valery uh- saved me in a very literal sense when another mission of mine went south and offered me an out. I took it." Yeah that sounded about right. This wasn't some shot at redemption for her, it was survival. She didn't deserve redemption.

"She never attacked me. Actually."

"Yeah, I mean it was sort of the other way around." The girl seemed to force a chuckle before promptly clearing her throat. That joke was definitely going to fall flat given the audience. Even if they knew the deeper context of a certain Defel's manipulation her timing was atrocious. Plus Makko was currently connected to like 15 different machines while she was pretty much unscathed. Who was the first one to flash a lightsaber at who hardly mattered.

Oh and now there was a small child offering her cake. Saahar blinked before looking over towards everyone in confirmation that it wasn't just her.

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Braze Braze

hi Makko! I BROUGHT CAKE!"

"Inside voices please."

Gatz left suddenly. Makko was in no place to follow. Something clearly triggered an old memory for Gatz, because nothing was done or said to earn him declaring he wasn't wanted. Makko at least appreciated the sentiment of him trying to be protective.

Makko listened to Saahar's explanation.

"Her master had placed an illusion over herself so that I attacked her," he explained quietly. "That's how he got behind me."

As quickly as things had escalated, the tension had started to fizzle out. Gatz left the room, and Cora frowned at his parting words - but if he felt that was what he needed to do, she would respect that.

“Do… you want me to go too?”

Cora shook her head, letting out a heavy exhale through her nose. Makko was more lucid now, regarding Saahar with tempered curiosity. If the monitors started beeping, she'd be liable to drag whatever stressors were present from the room - but if Makko desired the closure of conversation, then she wouldn’t fuss.

Another lingering glance to Makko saw that the numbers were reading steady, and she reached out to squeeze his hand again.

Quietly watching the interaction, her sharp glare lost some of its heat and then disappeared into a look of surprise as a cheerful Braze bounded into the room, bearing treats.

"How kind," she managed a muted smile towards Braze. His cheerfulness was in sharp contrast to the tone of the room, but a welcome change.

If I knew he'd be getting this many visitors, I would've at least brought my under eye concealer.

"He's not exactly up to eating right now, but how about I help you unpack it?"

There was more to Makko and Saahar's story than she'd anticipated. A brow arched at the new revelations. Using his apprentice as a pawn?

"How typical of the Sith." She muttered. It was difficult to find empathy for someone who was involved in putting Makko in such a state, but the girl seemed genuinely anxious and remorseful. At the very least, Cora could empathize with being raised in an environment that molded you to be a certain way.

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar ? Jalen Kai'el Jalen Kai'el Braze Braze Saahar Saahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom