Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Bryn'adûl | Barricas Terraformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bryn'adûl | Barricas Terraformer
michele-esposito-asset.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: To create a type of infective flora that helps terraform planets to regulate the weather to better suit the Draelvasier species.
  • ​Image Credit: X
  • Canon: N/A
  • Links:
​- The Bryn'adûl
​- Draelvasier

GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Barricas Terraformer
  • Origins: Genetic Engineering
  • Other Locations: All Draelvasier controlled areas
  • Classification: Weed/Invasive Plant
  • Average Growth Cycle: The Barricas Terraformer is developed inside Bryn'adûl research facilities, its initial first few months of development requiring constant observation and help in regards to proper nourishment several months before its adaptive abilities begin to truly develop. Eventually, the Terraformer matures inside the eight to twelve month area of its life cycle and continues to grow and develop over time if continually nurtured. A Terraformer can live for nearly two-hundred years if its health and upkeep is maintained.
  • Viability: The Barricas Terraformer is vulnerable for the majority of its early life, however develops extreme adaptability as it matures, able to thrive in even the most hazardous of environments.
  • Description: At a glance, the Barricas appears to be a discernible series of large roots and mass ingrained into the earth, stretching out for perhaps miles - however this is typically incredibly small roots.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Average Height: 400m [Fully matured]
  • Average Length: 1,200m [Fully matured - Can contort these limbs to be nearly a fifth of this size]
  • Colour: Greens, Browns, Red [In the face]
  • Nutritional Value: N/A
  • Toxicity: Incredibly toxic to almost all species if ingested.
  • Other Effects: When this invasive plant is delivered to a planet, it impregnates the earth and slowly grows into full adulthood, developing into a massive creature/plant that essentially terraforms a planet, it affects both ground and air; slowly increasing a planets heat and volcanic activity to better suit the Draelvasier species.
  • Distinctions: When first observed, this Barricas Terraformer appears to be a very active, yet impossibly large invasive plant; however when disturbed can rear its ugly head. The Barricas Terraformer has a main biomass from which all of its long tendrils and roots extent, its mass could be considered somewhat humanoid as it has a discernible 'face'. A toothed and wretched maw with a gummy interior of flesh like appearance. The Barricas Terraformer could be considered somewhat sentient.
​To note, this plant does savour the taste of flesh; typically fed various types of humanoid to help develop into its later cycles.

Strengths:
  • Imbedded: This plant, due to its very nature would be difficult to locate and destroy. It embeds itself in the ground; however if disturbed enough will tear itself from the safety of the earths crust and appear above ground.
  • ​Scale: The Barricas Terraformer is huge, and requires a lot of guns to bring down.
  • ​Intelligent: The Barricas Terraformer can distinguish friend from foe, due to the near symbiotic relations it has with the Bryn'adûl.
  • ​Terraform: The Barricas slowly terraforms a planet over years of infectious spreading; reshaping the planet to be more brutal, unforgiving and most of all incredibly hot. Hot enough to make travel difficult for most species.
Weaknesses:
  • Co-dependant: Relies on the Bryn'adûl to be maintained and fed frequently, without the constant presence of the Bryn'adûl these creatures will die and their invasive measures slowly recovered from. This is because the Barricas Terraformer in its earliest stages is too weak to feed itself, and thusly its development is overseen by the Bryn'adûl. This becomes a learned habit, one that cannot be broken by the limited mental functions of a Barricas.
  • ​Soft Hide: Its roots may be strong, but the main compact biomass that could be considered its body, is not particularly strong. Can be harmed by most of anything, its simple its size that makes it durable.
  • ​Nucleus: Cut off its head, and its dead. Pretty simple stuff.
  • ​Double Edged Sword: The nature of the terraformer being able to adapt to its environment also means that the creature will be susceptible to damage of the opposing element of its environment.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:
​In 857ABY nearly two-hundred new research facilities were built in preparation for the Bryn'adûl's slow move to ready their military machine for expansion. This particular environmental project began with apprehension regarding the colonisation of colder planets, Aeravalin scientists under the lead of Tathra Khaeus himself unveiled the Barricas' new military project shortly thereafter and test studies of their implementation on remote planets, mostly outside of the known Galaxy.

​The Terraforming plant is an ambitious project that will require years to perfect and prepare for variant environments. However, this may be sooner than expected due to the Ish'makra's push for expansion during the Wars of other nations.

[member="Tathra Khaeus"]

Overall, this is a pretty solid sub. I like it!

I'm only a little concerned on the size of these "weeds" but it reads like they start off smaller and grow to maturity or "larger sizes" once they are delivered to the intended planet. I imagine them to handle growing in the same way that root systems can go on for miles. It would give them the reach to begin the "Terraforming" process. It is also vaguely reminiscent of the Bothrium Beast from Canon. It might be something that you might want to add to the Links section for sources. It burrowed it's tendrils into the world and corrupted or "changed" the planet and people it was on.

They even look a little similar.

For Weaknesses:

1.)
Co-dependant: Relies on the Bryn'adûl to be maintained and fed frequently, without the constant presence of the Bryn'adûl these creatures will die and their invasive measures slowly recovered from.
What exactly are they dependent on the Bryn for? It states that they eat "​To note, this plant does savour the taste of flesh; typically fed various types of humanoid to help develop into its later cycles" but what about this creature means they they can't live without them? Why will they die?

2.) You mention that a lot of guns can bring it down, or, you can remove the head - But is there any other element that might be effective? Most plants don't like fire or anything that targets organic material. The strengths and weaknesses aren't bad but, adding a few more, considering the size, and ability once fully grown is definitely not a bad idea.

Let me know your thoughts.

[member="Srina Talon"]

That is correct, they start off smaller and weaker and develop in size over the duration of their development in relation to the terraforming process. And the links are for sources, the Bothrium; I've honestly never heard of before and wasn't a source for this things creation.

On 1.)

Tathra Khaeus said:
Weaknesses:
  • Co-dependant: Relies on the Bryn'adûl to be maintained and fed frequently, without the constant presence of the Bryn'adûl these creatures will die and their invasive measures slowly recovered from. This is because the Barricas Terraformer in its earliest stages is too weak to feed itself, and thusly its development is overseen by the Bryn'adûl. This becomes a learned habit, one that cannot be broken by the limited mental functions of a Barricas. ​
I've clarified why the Terraformer is dependent on the Bryn'adûl.

On 2.)

Tathra Khaeus said:
Weaknesses:
  • Co-dependant: Relies on the Bryn'adûl to be maintained and fed frequently, without the constant presence of the Bryn'adûl these creatures will die and their invasive measures slowly recovered from. This is because the Barricas Terraformer in its earliest stages is too weak to feed itself, and thusly its development is overseen by the Bryn'adûl. This becomes a learned habit, one that cannot be broken by the limited mental functions of a Barricas.
  • ​Soft Hide: Its roots may be strong, but the main compact biomass that could be considered its body, is not particularly strong. Can be harmed by most of anything, its simple its size that makes it durable.
  • ​Nucleus: Cut off its head, and its dead. Pretty simple stuff.
  • Double Edged Sword: The nature of the terraformer being able to adapt to its environment also means that the creature will be susceptible to damage of the opposing element of its environment.
Added a weakness that makes sense for the sub.

[member="Tathra Khaeus"]

That's perfectly fine. The link section is for sources, that is true, but it also offers a place to show a precedent that something "like" it does already exist in Star Wars Canon. It's entirely up to you though.

1.) Just to make sure I'm reading correctly - The creature never learns to feed itself & must always rely on the Bryn for sustenance? [Ex.) If Mr. Smith walks across where it gets fed, and it's hungry, it won't go after it?]

I'm not at all complaining. It's unique. I just want to make sure I'm following.

2.) That Weakness Addition is fantastic. I like it a lot, and, it's very creative depending on what planet the Terraformer gets dropped on. Good job!

[member="Srina Talon"]

Yup, its genetically engineered or you could say programmed to do one thing. Eating by itself isn't something it'll proactively do on purpose, though I suppose it could use its mouth offensively, though 99% of the time it won't eat things by itself.

And I know you're not complaining. Don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom