Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Sail At Sunrise

bG2oXn7.gif

Tháinbroek

Early Morn
[member="Thirdas Heavenshield"] | [member="Kiriko"]

He had arrived to the capital several days before the long boat was to set sail. Making sure supplies were ready and sitting by the dock, only thing left to do was to get the boys down there and load it. They had been charged with making sure the boat was sea worthy, all the fittings, sheets and sail was in good shape ... ship shape. They had to inspect the hull too, no leaks or rot and the rudder true.

Théo had been staying up in the Grand Hall, he had not entered it for years, not much had changed really, the old swords on the walls, shields all still there, the only difference was that some of the clan banners had. New sigils he did not recognise, and on asking his uncle, was told they were from the Southmark, some the lower Westmark but there was one he knew well enough. The rampant stag, white on black background, he had to grin as he looked at it from over his plate of breakfast, pushing his plate forward before taking up a large mug of caf and as he drank from it, his eyes fell on his uncle.

"Those boys up yet?", he asked, remembering just how difficult it had been to get Théo out of bed on that day he went on his Rite of Passage. In his own defense, he did have a large gaping whole in his lower torso, a result of a bore task which was still fresh and angry. But they ate well that journey. Théo started to laugh all of a sudden, his recollections recalling just how sea sick his uncle had become, "You think Thrand will take after you?". Théo did not worry so much about Thrand, that boy had a good head on his shoulders. It was the illusive mind of his own brother that worried him the most, and the Gods forbid should anything happen to him, he did not fancy facing his parents if it did.

"It would be good to go back there one day .. back to Heimland", he looked over to Thyrian, remembering the first meeting of the Beorni, but this journey would take them in an entirely different direction.

Following their rather shortened meeting in Northmark where his nephew was recently installed as their Protector, the High King had returned to the capital to spend some much needed time with his family. Thrand only joined them after several weeks spent in Averlorn, with the Princess Ióunn, much to his mother's relief to see her firstborn and her husband both safe and sound after the horrid battle. Queen Kära had given birth to twins only days prior to it and was thus in no shape to fight a battle, besides the little ones needed someone to stay behind to care for them.

Today was just like any other day, which suited him just fine following such a hectic time. Théodred sat across from him, visiting Tháinbroek to pick up his younger brother Thirdas and his cousin Thrand for a journey he himself had taken when crossing between boy and man. As Théo spoke, Thyrian simply sat huffing his pipe. "Hey, I seem to recall I wasn't the only with poor sea legs, thank you very much. And you'll forgive me for not being very into large bodies of water," he replied with a mix of grumpiness and levity. He was not very keen on being called out on his weaknesses, which in itself, he realised, was a weakness.

"Don't you worry about Thrand, he'll be here. Your brother, on the other hand," he pointed the end of his pipe at his nephew. "I don't know what to make of that one. But then, I seem to recall someone else who was just as unruly in his adolescence..." Thyrian raised an eyebrow at him but was interrupted when suddenly Kära appeared at his side, cradling one of the newborn twins only to pass her over to her husband. "She won't fall asleep unless you do it," she spoke with a gentle smile, placing a kiss upon his scarred cheek as he assumed daddy-mode. "Hello, Théo," she greeted her nephew by placing her hand upon his.

"Do you remember where we put Thrand and Theryn's old toys? I couldn't find them earlier," she asked her husband while fussing with a few wayward locks of his hair. "Hmm, I think we put them on the attic. I'll go have a look once I've seen the lads off." It took only seconds for the little one to fall asleep to her father's cradling, and very gently he passed her back to Kära. "Thanks, sweetie," she whispered and kissed him on the lips before excusing herself. "I'll leave you boys to it," she smirked, knowing full well what the day had in store for them.

"So, I wonder who will be next," Thyrian winked at him. "I'm sure my brother would not mind learning he is to become a grandfather..."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

"Come on I wasn't that bad", he grinned, but soon shot up out of his seat as aunty Kära entered the room to greet him holding a bundle of a child. "It is good to see you well Aunty", he said before placing a kiss on her cheek. He allowed his uncle and aunt to have a moment before he sat down once more. "They already dote over Boo, so I know you are right", but when and if that would happen he did not know.

"In a couple of days a fleet of long boats will arrive here laden with lumber for Thainbroek, as winter is approaching. It is for fuel for hearths, and it should be enough to get the people through the long months", his mood turned a little serious. "I have enlisted the help from the Aelvar, I sent a raven", he smirked at the thought of it, "There is a lot of old forest up in the Northmark and I will be damned if I will be cutting that down. So with the help of the Aelvar, I am establishing plantations with the purpose of growing timber for use".

"The elders are still somewhat suspicious of the force, but after hearing what happened .. in the war, they are coming around to the idea. The younger ones, some of which I have found to be attuned to the force are eager to learn, so with the help of the Aelvar we should have my plans up and running in no time". He poured himself another mug of brewed caf, his uncle seemed to be more interested in his pipe so Théo did not offer. He looked around for any sign of the boys, as yet nothing, he looked out the window to see the dawn had began to shine through the panes and a beam of light hit the table at which they were seated.

He placed his hand int he rays of the Sun, he could feel the warmth of it on his skin, and he lifted his gaze to his uncle with a knowing look in his eyes before a smile broke on his face. Regardless of what had happened between to the two at the feasting ceremony in Averlorn, Théo still loved his grandpapa deeply.

[member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rEeEKYbVX8​
The bear was in the water.

Because where else would one find a bear?

With the grace of a well-fattened seal, the white cub glided beneath the surface of the water. Which felt wonderful by the way. What did they need this boat for again? An adult Beorni could swim 80 kilometers or more a day through slews of melting sea ice. Nice and cold and refreshing.

Put the boat in the harbor and they should all just swim for it. Where ever it was. Where were they going again? Who knew?

Well, that wasn't right. Someone knew, certainly. But this was Midvinter, so Kiriko honestly wasn't all that worried about it. Where ever it was, there would be fish. Or seal jerky. Or maybe some of those sour gummi worms.

Pulling himself up from out of the water, the young bear's claws proved quite adept at allowing him to scramble up the sides of the ship. Arriving at the main deck, the small Beorni gave a shake that started at his shoulders and worked its way back to his tail, sending droplets of salt water flying in all directions as the cub shook out his arctic coat.

Padding around the main deck of the ship, the cub trotted around on all fours as he tried to think of what else needed to be done.

Aside from maybe a second breakfast.

And tea. They should have tea.

With cookies, obviously.

Thrand had always been an early riser, having no trouble getting up with first light if need be. His cousin... not so much. No doubt he'd have to go wake him up to get dressed soon, else the ship would set sail without them. For the moment however, the young prince sat at his desk penning a letter to Ióunn back in Averlorn. He'd arrived only days ago from his extended stay there, and during that time he'd immersed himself in Aelvar culture to better understand them, as well to make new friends. But above all, of course, was his desire to be around the princess following the passing of her father. She put on a brave face, but he could hear her quietly sobbing when she thinks no-one is around to hear. One thing he's learned is that because all Aelvar are born connected to the Frostvatn, family and close friends are keen on developing Force bonds; the severing of such a bond is utterly heartbreaking.

He wrote to her explaining he had to go away on a trip, out on the vast ocean the Valkyri call the 'Great Maw'. The reason for such was that their world seemed trapped between the endless jaws of the sea, its waves symbolising teeth grinding against rocky cliffs and sandy shores, nipping away at them. Sounds far more grim than the reality of it, but the name stuck and has been used for many ages of man. He asked her how she was, even though they only saw each other not three days ago. And he told her he missed her dearly.

"Thrand," came the voice of her mother through the crack of his bedroom door, prompting him to finish up quickly. "Are you ready in there? Your father and Théodred are waiting, they're in the Great Hall." He hastily rolled up the piece of parchment and tied a red ribbon around it before stuffing it down his pack. "Coming!" Fortunately he'd barely unpacked since his return home and was able to just pick up his traveling bag off the floor as it was. Last but not least, he removed his mighty sword mounted on the wall and threw it and its scabbard over his shoulder before stepping outside. Mother awaited him outside.

"Now you be careful, you hear," she told him as they embraced, their stark white hair becoming as one. "I will, Mama," he replied, hugging her tight. After she placed a kiss upon his forehead they parted, with Thrand heading to collect his younger cousin. A couple corners later through empty hallways he knocked on his door. "Hey! You up yet?" There was a commotion heard from within, as if someone had just been rudely awakened. "Yea-- Yeah," Thirdas called back, having almost fallen out of bed. A few moments later the door opened and there he was, his clothes tossed on in a hurry and everything about him looked unkempt. "Very smooth," the prince smirked and invited himself.

"Okay, so maybe I stayed up late last night - so what? It's not like they'll leave without us," Thirdas rubbed the back of his neck before yawning. "We're the reason the ship's setting sail in the first place, aren't we? To become men!" He raised his arms for a mock flex of his muscles, but his baggy shirt made it a fruitless effort. "Sure," Thrand chuckled before poking his cousin in the ribs, completely deflating the moment for him. "But until then, you're going to need more than what you're wearing to survive the cold. There are far harsher winds out on the open sea, with nothing to protect you against the elements that is not man-made." Thirdas raised his head and took on a proud stance, crossing his arms while nodding towards the corner of the room. "I packed that," he pointed, "last night. Before I went out."

Thrand shook his head and gave him a light ruffling of his golden hair. "Whatever. I'm heading for the main hall. Father and Théo await us there. Five minutes, not a second longer."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Kiriko"]

A click of the lock on the door toward the end of the Grand Hall turned Théo's head. Through it walked his cousin Thrand, every much growing into the man already, but his own brother nowhere to be seen. "Mornin' Thrand, is Thirdas still asleep?", he asked as he stood up from the table. And where had that boy decided to go late last night? Regardless of the wheres and why fores his brother come to soon regret his late night and there would be no favourites on his journey. "It is time to go", he said to them, Thirdas would just have to catch up or they would sail without him, after all taking responsibility for this journey was very much a part of the Passage.

Théo grabbed his own fur lined cloak, and pack slinging it over his large shoulders, "I believe we are to be joined by another, so lets not keep them waiting", this other was not someone he knew. He was only informed by his uncle of it last night before they retired to bed. Pushing through the main doors of the Grand Hall and entering the soft light of the morning, he bound down the steps he knew so well and headed for the docks. With the intentions of a small detour.

A well worn path took Théo to the main door of the Howlin' Wolf and upon entering his establishment he stepped over a body in a snoring heap on the floor. The place was a mess, tables and long seats strewn about the place, broken tankards and the wooden floors wet with spilled mead. From the next room came the Keep, "Master Théo business is booming", he grinned as he too stepped over bodies on approach. In Valkyri terms it was indeed, Théo laughed at the debris, it could only mean one thing and that never failed. "The valiant heroes of the war", he spread his arms wide.

"Make sure they get a full breakfast when they wake .. on the house", never would he begrudge the warriors that fought against the never ending tide of the hag. "My order been dispatched?", the Keep confirmed it had and placed on the ship and secured for the long journey. It was going to be cold and wet and there would be need of something to warm the cockles especially if nothing was happening to focus their minds from the cold.

"May the Gods see you all safe upon your journey", he said his good byes. "Thanks, I think", not sure if he wanted the attention of the Gods at this point, especially one in particular.

As he made haste toward the ship, he would see the blue sail secured and ready for the journey. Up head his uncle and cousin had reached the docks, no sign of his brother yet. Yet as he approached, he saw a small white Beorni and his step hesitated for a moment, for all the world the young cub looked like his apprentice Kiriko, but it would not be. The loss of Kiriko sat heavy on his heart, would always even though he had given his life to save many it was difficult for Théo to accept his passing. He boarded the ship and placed his pack in a safe place, after which he approached the young cub.

"Hello, and who are you?". Théo kneed down to be face to face with the ball of white fur.
[member="Thrand Hearthfire"] | [member="Kiriko"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fnPwj1AMpo​
Who am I?

It was quite exciting to see people approaching the ship. Perhaps they would be venturing out soon. Trotting from one side of the ship to the next, the small Beorni stood mid-way down the brow as these Valkyri made their approach. The sun was starting to dry out his coat, salt and ice crystals sparkling as they clung to his fur. Dropping his haunches, the bear sat as he watched the curious man approach. And how did he greet the boy but to ask who he was?

Rearing back, so that he was standing on his hind legs like a human, the cub rose up to his very short height. "Who am I?" the youngling repeated back, seemingly quite offended by this. Did they not recognize him? Was his name not uttered in a thousand songs told across a thousand tales in a thousand taverns?

...well, probably no. But still. "Who am I?" the cub repeated a second time, before taking a step forward and laying his foot down quite firmly. Defiant, the cub raised a paw to the air and declared, "I am the Dread Fluffy Kiriko!"

Yes, Dread Fluffy. This should really be a thing.

"...scourge of a thousand candy jars and slayer of cakes," the Beorni went on to continue, now quite intentionally barring the passage onto the ship. "I'm terribly sorry, but you shall not pass," the youngling uttered, with a firm nod of his head.

"None may cross this brow nor board this ship unless they have paid the cookie tithe."

Yo ho. Yo ho. A pirate bear's life for me!

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid the rules of the ship are quite specific about this."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Thrand Hearthfire"]

Stepping into the main hall he was immediately greeted by his cousin many years his senior, with his father sitting at the table smoking his pipe. "Not anymore," came his simple reply. "He'll join us down at the docks, don't you worry. He may be a born troublemaker but he does keep his word when given." While Théo headed outside, Thrand quietly sat down beside his father at the long table. Thyrian stared ahead at nothing in particular, lost in thought when he felt his firstborn's hand upon his own. He laid down his pipe on the table and turned to meet Thrand's gaze, his scarred, battle-worn face trembling without being able to form words. "I know, Papa," he simply said as his father held onto his hand. Thrand leaned into him, resting his head upon his shoulder and closing his eyes. "I love you too."

It wasn't until the five minutes were up and at the last possible second Thirdas showed up, having geared up properly this time, that the embrace between father and son came to an end. "Ahh, there he is," the king suddenly spoke. "You missed your brother, he's down by the docks overseeing the ship." Thrand rose from his seat and met up with his cousin to look over his equipment, noting his trusty handaxe hanging from his belt. "Never go anywhere without it, huh?" Thirdas smirked. "Nope!"

"Well, goodbye, Uncle King," the lad waved at Thyrian who only now stood to see them off, wasting no time in heading for the exit without a care in the world. Thrand sighed and shook his head, then turned back to his father who offered him a solemn look, before being offered a kind smile. "Go with the Gods, Thrand of House Hearthfire, second of his name." He felt the need to bow, not to his king but to his father. "I will strive to make you proud, father," he said. As he turned to walk away, he stopped halfway and uttered their family words. "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken." And as the prince stepped outside, his old man slumped back down with his pipe and smiled.

The moment he set foot outside however, he was set upon by his cousin. "Come on, you big bore! Enough highborn nonsense - we're free!" Watching Thirdas run down the steps, he couldn't help but mutter something under his breath in the Old Tongue before making his way down to the docks himself. Restraint was never a virtue of his cousin's. Nor was patience. Or intelligence, he added to his thoughts with a chuckle.

Although Beorni cubs of white like this young one before him, it was difficult to tell them apart as their features were incredibly similar at this age, however there was a slight difference between what Théo assumed was his name sake, and the bear in front of him. The shape of his button black nose, this one sniffing the air and twitching to taste it, was more round. Even still, Théo was taken aback when [member="Kiriko"] pronounced is name and purpose in life. "Kiriko", he repeated, in a soft voice of remembrance. "I knew another of that name", he simply said of it but there was a hint of tenderness in his words.

"Hmm, I have no tithe to pay", he declared playing along with the youngling. "But I am the ship's cook, you would not throw the ship's cook overboard would you?". Théo went on both knees as if pleading for his life, "I can cook a very sweet and warm cake made in a pan", and no not a pancake as such, but a cake made in a pan, two entirely different things. But Théo can also make pancakes.

Force senses tingled, heralding the approach of his brother and his cousin Thrand. And the sooner they get here the sooner they will all set sail, if they are ready and have prepared the ship for their ocean bound journey. But first Théo had to get passed this one, he smiled his best winning smile to help his cause, but yet his eyes could not take in the young cub and he realised just how much he misses his friend.

These three young lads, whether humanoid or beorni would decide the journey just as he had done when his papa and uncle had taken him out to the south, they too had not had the chance to partake in their rite of passage and did so collectively with Théo. It was a journey he would never forgot, it gave him not only the courage to take control of situations whether succeed or fail, but to allow himself permission to take it when others would not. Out of the three of them, who would be the leader, how would they work together in a problem arose?

And then there was the unknown, that event in such a journey that is almost predictable in its unpredictable happenstance. Which could even test Théo as well.

[member="Thirdas Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QbyP6q0AQ​
Another by that same name!?

Preposterous. He was the Kiriko! Well, actually, it was getting to be a common name. The most popular for boys among the Beorni clans at the moment. Not that there were many Beorni to begin with, but if you met a Beorni these days, their kid was apt to be named Kiriko.

"You might know a Kiriko, but I'm named for THE Kiriko," the youngling boasted proudly, bringing his paw around to thump his chest as he boasted brashly. And, just in case people were confused -- because you know how Valkyri are -- the cub went on to explain, "He was a brave Jedi Knight of the Howlingfjord Clan. He slew a thousand Sith in a hundred battles across dozens of worlds!"

Those who knew Kiriko Howlingfjord, a Jedi who refused so much as carrying a lightsaber, would of course know that the Jedi Knight would have been horrified to have heard the deeds and labors of his life described as such.

Somewhere, the Force Ghost of a large, white polar bear was burying his face in his paw.

"He... he even took on a star destroyer! Without a ship!" the cub went on to exclaim. He considered himself something of an expert in KIriko mythology. To start with, Kiriko was his favorite subject. The cub knew every tale and every song that had been told about the Hero of Thyferra.

What the cub said was true of course. Kiriko had faced a star destroyer at Thyferra. But the way in which the cub told the tale seemed to make the Beorni Knight into something he wasn't. And never would have wanted to have been. Least of all to have become one in legend. Somewhere, a Force Ghost was burying his face in both paws.

"I'm going to be a great warrior, just like him!"

Perhaps the worst part of it all was that he meant it. Sincerely. With every fiber of his being.

The Beorni were a deeply spiritual people. When he had become a Jedi, Kiriko Howlingfjord had worked hard to honor the spirituality and non-violence of the Beorni. He had debated with the Luka Sene. Studied the philosophy of the Jal Shey. And considered himself an artist, not a soldier. Not even so much as a warrior-poet. Just a poet, who set aside his lightsaber for a piece of charcoal and some loub-paper on which to sketch or draw.

To have inspired a generation of Beorni warriors was to have taken all of Kiriko Howlingfjord's dreams and cast them asunder.

"But, I'll need cakes if I'm going to be a great warrior," the young Beorni said, at last stepping out of Théo's way. This Valkyri clearly understood the position that he was in. And now Kiriko wanted pancakes for some reason.

"So, if you say that you can make cakes, then I suppose you can come aboard."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Thrand Hearthfire"]

Rushing through the streets with his pack over his shoulder and wind in his hair, Thirdas laughed as his cousin Thrand caught up with him and the two raced each other to see who would make it to the ship first. Thrand, being a couple years older and thus possessed longer legs, could take longer strides but Thirdas was generally quicker in his step. The prince and lordling both resorted to shortcutting their way through alleyways and even people's houses, leaping through open windows faster than anyone had time to react. Of course they were immediately identified by their respective distinct look, and the two had been known to get themselves into trouble whenever together.

At some point during the chase they got separated, each taking their own route through the district leading to the docks. Right at the end they bumped into one another once more and commenced the last rush toward the ship now appearing before them. They ran right up to the gangplank when they suddenly stopped dead in their tracks, with no clear winner as both looked up to see the white-furred bear person blocking their path. Each took a moment to catch their breath, having just sprinted through half the city.

"Rematch?" he panted heavily, glancing over at Thrand looking just as exhausted. "Rematch." Making certain they had not lost any of their equipment during the course of the race, Thrand was first to walk up the wooden ramp. "Greetings, my furry friend! I don't suppose you would be so kind as to let us board your fine vessel?" Meanwhile Thirdas rolled his eyes, watching his cousin try and charm his way past. Instead he reached into his pack and pulled out a jar of cookies he'd knicked from the Great Hall kitchen the night before. "Scuse me," he interrupted them and promptly tossed the little cub a couple cookies. "There you go, one for each of us."
Thrand glanced over at him with a raised eyebrow. "What? Everyone knows the path to a Beorni's friendship is through their stomach." His sister Nina had informed him such from her experience travelling with Arnor Oathsworn.
[member="Kiriko"] | [member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

"Hmm I see. You seem to know a lot about Knight Kiriko Howlingfjord and rightly so, he was a great Beorni", he said as he stood up, for the arrival of his brother and Thrand was close at hand, Théo could sense them coming. "Then you would know he was apprentice to the mighty and legendary Jedi Master Théodred Heavenshield", he could not help but smile, enjoying the play with the young cub. "Although I do believe that Knight Howlingfjord was indeed a mighty Jedi Knight, he would not wish for you, a mighty warrior, to run head long into a battle". Théo was not about to burst young Kiriko's bubble just yet, but rather would speak to him later maybe over the cause of this journey and tell the tale of his dear friend.

It was not that long ago that Kiriko Howlingfjord held the same aspirations to become a mighty warrior, just like his name sake here, but as he grew and learned of the wider galaxy, his ideals changed and through that experience, Kiriko had become one of the best Jedi ever. A true one.

The thumping feet of his brother and Thrand, arrived before they did as they raced up the plank and bustled into the ship. Théo stood back, and allowed the three to greet each other. While they did, he visually checked the ship to see if everything was indeed, in order and the all the sheets secured and the sail in good condition. He had to hope that these boys had done their preparations well, or this was going to be a short trip. And a wet one.

"Good to see you made it Thirdas", he finally spoke to his brother, who had grown quite a lot since they last saw each other. He looked so much like papa it was frightening, although his mother's eyes looked at him. "I suggest you boys get this ship going, before we miss the tide". Not that there was much of a tide this far up river, but the morning was marching ahead without them. While the three got themselves sorted, Théo cast a gaze to the Sun, "I am going to need all the help I can get", he whispered the words for his beloved grandpapa only. At least that is what Théo thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62YkXZNs8M​
"You seem to know a lot about Knight Kiriko Howlingfjord..."

The cub's ears perked up in the rather noticeable gesture that would be most akin to a smile. He could smile as well, but with his short muzzle it was hard to tell the difference between a Beorni that was smiling as opposed to a Beorni that was baring its teeth. Behind him, the puffball tail was twitching vigorously at the compliment.

"Then you would know he was apprentice to the mighty and legendary Jedi Master Théodred Heavenshield."

The cub's tail stopped twitching. The ears seemed to turn outward, communicating a moment of confusion before the youngling just blurted aloud, "Who?"

The arrival of two more freeloaders took the Beorni's attention away from the scruffy man. The first of these rather emaciated-looking, furless nerf herders sought to beg passage aboard the vessel. To which the cub was disinclined to acquiesce to the request. That is, until the other produced a jar of cookies and summarily applied the toll for passage.

Kiriko of course stepped aside and welcome the one with the jar of cookies aboard.

The other the Beorni would have to keep an eye on.

Not that either of the two new arrivals looked as though they ate much, if at all.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Thirdas Heavenshield"]

Thrand looked on as his cousin paid for their passage aboard the ship, and as he himself passed by the little Beorni he couldn't help but give him a quick pat on the head, feeling the soft white fur tickle the palm of his hand. He seemed an excitable sort, not unlike Thirdas, and it also seemed he was even more keen on food. As if that was possible.

Once they'd gotten their stuff squared away near the bow of the ship, the four completed their preparations for the journey across the sea as their vessel took off upriver. At first they were forced to row their way out of harbour until the wind was in their favour, taking hold of their sails and would bring them the rest of the way, gods be willing.

With only one required to manage the ship, Thrand was happy to take first shift at the stern, hand on the tiller which in turn steered the rudder. It was approaching midday - no doubt Théo would have rather they left at dawn.

Meanwhile Thirdas sat at the bow, leaning over the side to watch them drive through the water's surface like a spear, his blonde locks caught in the breeze. "Hey, so why do they call it the 'Tárflodr', anyway?"

The question caught the prince's hear. "It means 'River of Tears'," he told him without looking his way, maintaining focus on his task. "Every High King and Queen in history have been laid to rest here, sent upriver from Tháinbroek as their ships are set aflame. These shores become filled with men, women and children mourning the loss of their monarch, hoping to see them one last time."

He cast a glance over at Théo. "So was Grandfather, a long time ago." But then his gaze lowered. "One day, my father will come this way... and so will I."

The answer to his question revealed far more than Thirdas would have liked, and for the moment he did not feel like asking further. "Well... let's hope it won't come to that for a while yet."

An arched eye brow, met the young [member="Kiriko"] but it was done with a heavy sense of amusement. Théo turned away and settled himself toward the back of the boat, not far from the tiller and Mister Hearthfire. Of course he had helped out with the rowing, it was all hands on deck for that part of the journey but soon enough the wind turned and filled the sail, allowing them all a time to go about other jobs that needed doing. Well the boys that was, Théo was along for the ride, his duty was to make sure they did not get into any sort of trouble, back up you might say. This journey belonged to them and they would have to work the problem, if there was a problem.

Théo leaned back on the side of the ship and allowed the wind to run through his long black hair, having removed the man bun which he sported on a daily bases to look presentable for anyone coming to meet him in the Grand Hall to the north. He could relaxed now, and only hope they would not meet with any mischief. He nodded to Thrand who had answered Thirdas' question. Although a smirk pulled at his lips,

"Yeah, Grandpapa came this way". And that day was not something he could forget any time soon. "So has your papa and now you .. and both of you ain't dead yet .. you see he and my papa joined me on my journey, that was eventful to say the least". He would not go into too much detail, after all that seemed like ancient history now, although his pierced torso still pains him from time to time. "On that journey we discovered the Beorni once more". He looked over to the young cub with a kindly smile.

He looked up into the full sail and guesstimated they would pass through the Trinity Pass and arrive at the fork in the rivers come the late evening. This would be the time in which the boys would have to make their decision. To follow the current along Élivágar or turn the bow south and sail Nænya Fjord, either way would bring them out into the Great Maw and into the journey proper.
[member="Thrand Hearthfire"]

The ship was underway along the river.

The cub helped with pulling the rigging, hoisting the sails into position as they started on their journey. When they had settled into the passage, the young Beorni looked out from the starboard side of the ship. The coastline passed idly by as they voyaged past, the cub's eyes looking for adventure and finding awe at all of the new sights.

The mention of the Beorni brought the cub's head around to where the scruffy man was addressing the skinny kids.

Dropping down on all fours, the youngling wandered over toward where the trio were talking. "Is that when the Jedi found Kiriko?" the boy inquired curiously, dropping his haunches so that he was seated at Théo's feet, anxiously waiting for an answer.

Or a story.

Whichever the case may be.
[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Thrand Hearthfire"]​

Days went by and the voyage continued south with vast mountainranges to the east, seemingly impenetrable and endless. It was a sight the youngest Heavenshield had seen many times before, yet each time it made his heart sore; he hoped there would be enough years in his lifetime to ascend each one of them, if such a thing were possible. Adventure and excitement was what he lived for and craved, having little time or patience for the mundane things in life.

Then, finally, the mountainside let up as before them lay Trinity Cross, a most crucial and strategic checkpoint connecting the Crownlands with the South- and Eastmark, both by road and river. There stood a fortress designed to protect travelers and merchants passing through, ever manned by men of the White Watch - an ancient order of watchmen and sentries whose sole duty is to man the fortress and safeguard the surrounding area. They are never to leave their post, even as armies march across Midvinter like they did only weeks ago. These are the kind of tales Thirdas find so incredibly fascinating, yet when looking back at Thrand now relieved by Théo, his eyes were instead fixed to the south and west, past the mountains blocking passage to Averlorn.

"It's only been, what, two weeks since you last saw each other?" he hollered at him with a sly smirk. "I doubt that's long enough for her to forget about you." But his cousin did not pay him any attention, or if he did he did not show it. Thrand felt her presence through the Force, so close and yet so far from one another, and suddenly he was filled with an innate warmth emanating from the core of his being. It invigorated him, and was able to put a smile on his face knowing she had returned the same feelings. "I know she hasn't," he simply replied as he stepped over to where Thirdas sat at the bow of the ship.

Thirdas gave him a look of mock disgust. Girls were of no interest to him as of yet. He then decided to suddenly change the topic. "Hey, [member="Kiriko"]," he addressed the white ball of fur. "What's your story? How come you decided to join in on this venture? You just looking to go back home?"

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

The white ball of fur was currently taking a nap.

Curled up in a spot where the sun was just perfect, the bear's round ears twitched as he heard someone address him. Raising his head up, the boy's puffball tail twitched several times as he thought about the question.

Why had he come along?

"I won't become the greatest Jedi to ever live by staying on the Beorni island," the cub opined finally. And with surprising humility, as befit a Jedi and a Beorni. If he had to say so, himself.

Except, even if he stayed on Beorni Island, wouldn't he still be... well, him?

"Well, I'll still be the greatest Jedi ever. But I could be better," Kiriko amended, as an after thought.

Modest bear was modest.

[member="Thirdas Heavenshield"] | [member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

0YKCQ3m.jpg
There could not have been a better day for their journey, like it was today and Théo could only hope that this weather would remain to be kind to them. But knowing Midvinter as he does, conditions could change in the blink of an eye, so small gifts were treasured. The little Beorni remained as stoic on the topic of Kiriko, his name sake and to Théo was a bitter sweet thing, "It was later that he joined the Jedi, and where I met him", he simply stated. "Kiriko was always looking for a way in which to help people, no matter what and to be the best he could be. He saw much grace in everyone, even in those that did not believe they possessed such a thing .. he was very generous in that regard".

As the journey wore on and the ship approached the peaks of the Trinity Cross, it would only be another day before they reached the fork and they would push on toward the Great Maw, so far the journey was without event but like the weather that can change in an instant, all of them would face test once they were out into the great waters, that Théo knew. "At least you have a good solid ambition Kiriko, and something to work toward", he grinned. "But I think it is lunch time". Théo pushed himself off the canvas bag filled with the fur bedding they use in the evenings.

"Thrand, steer the ship to port and find shallower water, Thirdas pull in the sail, Kiriko drop the anchor when the ship is in position .. then you boys can go for a swim, you all stink to high heaven that even Odiir himself can smell you". Théo probably stank too, but he was on cooking duty and would bathe later. The water would be cold but these hardened Midvinter-ites are born and grown up in it.

Good thing about having been exposed to technology as a Jedi living with the Silver and away from Midvinter, is that you can have said technology and use a cooker that did not require open flame, it is not a good idea to have open flame on a wooden boat. And so he went about setting up to prepare lunch.

"Kiriko while you are swimming see if you can land us a big fish for dinner", good thing about having this Beorni around is he is a natural fisherman. Besides, it is always nice to have something fresh to eat, even though they have rations and dried meats.

Thrand watched as his cousin wasted no time in stripping down to his undies and throwing himself overboard, splashing into the cold water below with a joyful cry. Almost immediately he surfaced and gasped for air, hugging his own torso and shivering.

"How's the water?" asked Thrand, taking his time undressing and placing each item of clothing into a neat pile. "Sh-sh-shut up-p," came Thirdas' response. "I j-just wasn't expecting it to be this bloody c-cold!" The Prince snickered to himself while removing his shirt, feeling the cool air prick his skin.

"Look out below!" He stood on the railing and gracefully dived into the crystal clear water in stark contrast to his cousin. When he emerged, swiping his white hair away from his face, Thirdas just sent a splash of water in his face. "You're such a show off!" Already they would start wrestling, both trying to drown the other in between laughter.

Suddenly Thirdas stopped dead in his tracks, catching Thrand off guard. "What?" Thirdas smirked. "Water's not as cold anymore."

Realising what he'd done, Thrand hurried away to put some distance between the two. "Ugh, gross!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom