Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Bik'Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingSea_S61_1000.jpg

Name: Bik'Sal
Designation: Non-Sentient
Homeworld: Argyra IV
Language: NA
Average Length of adults: 15-20 meters
Skin color: Red
Hair color: NA
Breathes: Type 1 Atmosphere - Salt Water

Strengths:
Powerful Jaws; able to crush thin sheets of Durasteel
Can emit bio-electrical shock

Weaknesses:
Clumsy
Very Dumb

Distinctions:
Thick Carapace
Powerful Tail

Average Lifespan: 60+ years, but not known to die of old age
Races: NA
Estimated Population: Millions
Diet: Smaller fish and crustaceans
Communication: Low growls
Culture: NA
Technology level: None

General behavior: Young Bik'Sal school in a manner similar to fish. Adult Bik'Sal are solitary predators.

A large crustacean with many fish-like qualities, adult Bik'Sal ranges from 5 to 25 meters in length. It is capable of thriving on deep oceans, coral reefs, and estuaries where it preys on small fish and other crustaceans. The creature is also known to live in some rivers and lakes. Adult members of this species are ponderous swimmers, and are equally clumsy on land. They are sometimes describes at having a very lazy, drifting form of locomotion.

The creature is a prolific breeder. Female Bik'Sal lay thousands of eggs in a single clutch that hatch in as little as 72 hours. These hatchling Bik'Sal enter life as a swimming form of larva similar to 'krill' that populate oceans throughout the galaxy. These Bik'Sal Larva swim through ocean waters and drift along with the tides for the first three years of their life. During this time, Bik'Sal Larva are an important food source for a great number of Argyra IV's marine life.

Once old enough and having found a suitable location that offers plenty of hiding spots and potential food, Bik'Sal Larva shed their outer carapace, dig into sandy substrate or lodge themselves within a hollow spot in a coral reef, and form a hard chrysalis around themselves as they undergo a metamorphosis into the adult form of the species. The shell of this chrysalis is extremely durable, with Pral'ym being the only indigenous creature known to be able to break the shell and prey upon the Bik'Sal Larva within.

Over a period of three weeks, the Bik'Sal Larva will grow 1,000% in size and emerge as a juvenile Bik'Sal with an average length of 0.6 meters. These juvenile Bik'Sal will prey on smaller crustaceans and fish for the next seven years of their life while they grow rapidly to their adult sizes. Bik'Sal do not become sexually mature until they are ten cycles old. Particularly large Bik'Sal are estimated to have aged 60 cycles or more, though determining age is difficult.

Research suggests that Bik'Sal may not slow down, weaken, or lose fertility with age, and that older Bik'Sal may be more fertile than younger Bik'Sal. This longevity may be due to telomerase, an enzyme that repairs long repetitive sections of DNA sequences at the ends of chromosomes, referred to as telomeres. Telomerase is expressed by most vertebrates during embryonic stages but is generally absent from adult stages of life. However, unlike most vertebrates, Bik'Sal express telomerase as adults through most tissue, which has been suggested to be related to their longevity.

Bik'Sal, like many other crustaceans, grow throughout life and are able to add new muscle cells at each molt. Bik'Sal longevity allows them to reach impressive sizes. The largest recorded Bik'Sal encountered was reported to be close to 50 meters in length. Though most members of this species find themselves consumed by larger predators long before reaching such monstrous sizes.

The creature is capable of emitting a positive and negative electrical charge in the tendrils that grow from the roof of its skull. The Bik'Sal hunts by hiding on the sea floor, in a crevice, or on the bank of a river. From its hiding point, the crustacean holds its tendrils as far in front of itself as it is capable. When something edible swims between the two tendrils the Bik'Sal electrocutes the creature with a powerful jolt of electricity that stuns or kills it. Once its prey is electrocuted, the Bik'Sal lumbers forward and consumes it at its leisure. It is able to produce about five such shocks over a period of an hour.

The manner in which Bik'Sal electrocute their prey has been well documented. The creature has three pairs of organs in its tail that produce electricity. These organs are derived from modified nerve or muscle tissue that form electrocytes, though similar organisms on this and other planets frequently utilize electroplaques or electroplaxes in stead for similar organs.

Bik'Sal have several thousand of these cells stacked in each organ with each cell producing 0.15 Volts. Each organ can transmit a signal of nearly 10 Volts in overall amplitude at around 250 Hz in frequency. These signals are emitted by the main organs. One of the secondary sets of organs can emit signals at rates of several hundred Hertz. The cells function by pumping positive sodium and potassium ions out of the cell via transport proteins powered by adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Postsynaptically, electrocytes work much like muscle sells. They have nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.

To discharge the electrocytes in the correct time, the Bik'Sal uses a nucleus of pacemaker neurons. When a Bik'Sal spots its prey, the nucleus of pacemaker neutons fire and acetylcholine is subsequently released from electromotor neurons to the electrocytes, resulting in an electric organ discharge. In simpler terms, when the Bik'Sal located prey, its brain sends a signal through the nervous system to the electrocytes. This opens the ion channels, allowing sodium to flow through, reversing the polarity momentarily. By causing a sudden difference in electrical potential, it generates an electric current in a manner similar to a battery.

The electric organs are oriented along the length of the tail within the musculature and have smaller accessory electric organs in the head. There are two sets of these accessory organs. One for signaling the Electric Organ Discharge, and one for funneling the EOD into the two tendrils that sweep back from the head of the Bik'Sal. In this manner, a Bik'Sal can produce a shock of up to 6,000 volts and 10 ampere of current (6,000 watts) for a duration of 2ms. Though smaller Bik'Sal produce a smaller shock proportional to their size. For example, a 0.6 meter juvenile would produce a shock of only 18-25 volts.

Though capable of traveling on land, adult Bik'Sal must keep its gills wet to breath and will die if it does not return to a water source within 12 hours of leaving the water.

History:

Bik'Sal are a prolific species on Argyra IV. Their young fill its oceans and their juvenile and adult forms prowl coral reefs and ocean beaches throughout the world. As such, it is one of the first species to be formally studied by Mon Calamari colonists on Argyra IV. Admittedly, it was nearly twelve years into the colonization of the planet before the connection between the krill-like larva and the adult Bik'Sal was made. Initially assumed to be different species, the two species were classified as one when the famous Mon Calamari scientist Brakka Charrik made his acclaimed discovery at the Grak'alya Reef.

Up until that time, Bik'Sal eggs were known to populate Coral Reefs and other suitable locations. Though, there had never been successful documentation of a female Bik'Sal laying these eggs. It was during his study that the first ever larval Bik'Sal was observed entering its chrysalis faze of life and the connection between the two species was made.

Recognizing the critical role Bik'Sal play in the stability of Argyra IV's oceans, the species is highly protected on the planet, despite the danger they pose to unwary tourists. The creatures are not known to hunt adult humanoids or most mammals, though will attack unwary travelers when threatened.

Despite the constant attempts at scientists and politicians to convince the public that these creatures are harmless, tourists are advised to not leave their children unattended when a Bik'Sal is near.

Notable Player-Characters: None

Intent: To create aquatic life to help fill out the environment of a planet obviously focused on Aquatic sentient life.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

How strong is that bio-electric shock? Give examples of what it can and can't do.

It may not die of old age, but that dosen't mean it's immortal. Does it get sick? Does it get weaker with old age? How long, on average, does it take for one of these to succumb to sickness? That would be it's average lifespan.

For a third time, you put general behavior in history, and din't put a history.

Make those tow major edits, and we'll see about the smaller ones.

This is becoming a very interesting species...I see you've put a lot of thought into the new edits. Fantastic job. :)

A few quick things;

1.) 'Oceans around the galaxy'? If they're all over the galaxy, i'd like to nkow why, and in what numbers, and how they adapt into ecologies other then their homeworld. I rather not have these making Sando aqua monsters and the like go extinct. :p

2.) Could you state how quickll/easily a Bik'Sal can short out, say, an underwater vehicle, or kill a human, with it's electric charge?

3.) How strong is this carpace? If it's strong enough to, say, be immune to slugthrowers or blasters, as well as it's bioshock, it's going to need another subsantial weakness.

I like this species. A lot. Make thos edits, and you should be good to go. :D

Mrrew said:
This is becoming a very interesting species...I see you've put a lot of thought into the new edits. Fantastic job. :)

A few quick things;

1.) 'Oceans around the galaxy'? If they're all over the galaxy, i'd like to nkow why, and in what numbers, and how they adapt into ecologies other then their homeworld. I rather not have these making Sando aqua monsters and the like go extinct. :p

2.) Could you state how quickll/easily a Bik'Sal can short out, say, an underwater vehicle, or kill a human, with it's electric charge?

3.) How strong is this carpace? If it's strong enough to, say, be immune to slugthrowers or blasters, as well as it's bioshock, it's going to need another subsantial weakness.

I like this species. A lot. Make thos edits, and you should be good to go. :D

1) By this I mean that Krill are a common and basic evolutionary creation and that would likely have independently evolved on nearly every ocean in the galaxy.

2) a Defibrillator uses around 1,000 volts and a shock of 0.2 amps can be fatal if the individual is not given immediate medical attention. The electrical capabilities of this creature are based on the measurements taken from the real world Electric Eel and scaled up according to the size of this creature. A shock above 2 amps causes muscular contractions that are so severe that the heart is forcibly clamped during the muscle contractions... which is good because it prevents the heart from going into ventricular fibrillation. The real danger here is not the musculature or heart damage caused by the shock screwing with the motor system... it's that shocks of over 500-1000 volts cause extensive internal burning. This thing would likely -cook- its prey when it shocks them.

In hindesight, and after doing further research... I think this critter would cause an Arc Flash every time it shocked its prey, which produces heat at around 35,000 °F (19,400 °C).

3) The Carapace is strong enough to protect it from simple, organic threats. Maybe... class 4 tops? The threat of death-by-arc flash would be enough to keep most critters away from these things once they reach adult size.

1.) I miss understood the line, I thought it meant Bik'Sal are ccommon throughout the galaxy, not krill. *facepalms* My bad!

2.) That's perfectly fine, but a quick question; How dosen't the arc flash kill the creature?

3.) Alright. Just making sure it isin't a tank as well as a Tazer Godzilla.

[member="Mrrew"]

2) that temperature is produced only at the apex point of the arc flash. (the center point between the two ends of the tentacles.) Basically, the only reason this thing doesn't kill itself is because it cranks the electricity out at the ends of these two tentacles instead of from within its own body.

[member="Captain Larraq"] - Fair enough, and it dosen't damage the tentacles? Alright.

One last thing, and you should be good: What is the 're-charge', so to speak, on the bio-electrical shock? I assume they aren't automatic lightning guns.

An electric eel takes twenty minutes. I don't imagine it would have the need to recharge faster then that, and even that is pretty fast for a charge that powerful.

Once you fix that, you're good. :)

[member="Mrrew"]

20 minutes? On the wiki page of the Electric Eel it says that the critter can produce multiple shocks over an hour and show no signs of fatigue.

That being said... *shrug* I've no idea. Outside of being chased around by wandering Jedi, this thing only produces shocks to ward off predators and catch prey. It's not so much that is has a limit... But that it just doesn't do it.

But in the interest of preventing opportunistic ******** from mind controlling this thing and abusing it... After 5 such shocks in an hour period, it simply -wont- produce another shock for twenty minutes to an hour.

Fair enough, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid; sombody using one of these things as a pet, or alchemically re-designing it as a war beast.

Just edit in the sentence about the 'can't shock more then 5 times in an hour', if you didn't already (I don't see it) and you're approved. :)

I am going to ask you to add one more weakness. The current ones are too indefinite and when compared to the definiteness of the strengths, they pale out. We need something that really balances the creature somehow and I think at the moment, it doesn't.

Just this one weakness and we should be ready to go. :)

Large members of this species would... cause the sudden and violent explosion of Kang'Win if it tried to shock them... because they have a flammable, pressurized gas in their air-bladder. This would likely result in a loss of both tentacles. They would grow back after the creature's next molt... but the creature runs the risk of starving or becoming food for other creatures without its capacity to produce a shock.

Also... you could probably get this thing to elecrocute itself if you shot it in the tail with the right weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom