Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Bes'manda Ori'kad

Status
Not open for further replies.
faf64a3b-2f76-448e-a94d-b8d552bea090.gif

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a new and interesting weapon out of an existing metal submission and to expand the range of products House Larraq Plate and Blade can sell.
Image Source: The Black Cauldron
Canon Link: NA
Primary Source: Bes'manda

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Manufacturer: House Larraq Plate and Blade
Model: Bes'manda Ori'kad "Divine Metal Great-sword"
Affiliation: Closed Market
Modularity: Limited (Style and Ornamentation)
Production: Semi-unique
Material:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Sword
Size: Hand-and-a-half Sword
Weight: Heavy

ENERGY PROJECTION SPECIFICATIONS
Ammunition Type: Absorbed External Energy or Channeled Force Energy
Ammunition Capacity: Limited
Reload Speed: Very Slow Charging (dependent upon exposure to external energy sources)
Effective Range: Average (practical) / Long Range (physical)
Rate of Fire: Very Low (one discharge per post or less)
Stopping Power: High (frequent attacks) OR Very High (infrequent attacks) OR Extreme (once per thread finisher)

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Naturally attuned to a 'balanced' state of force alignment
  • Glows faintly, increasing in intensity when Bes'manda is on the verge of overloading
  • Serves as a focusing medium for meditation and certain abilities
  • Possesses a memory and emotion based consciousness that borders on sentience
  • Capable of non-verbal communication with other pieces of Bes'manda and force sensitive beings by radiating emotions and memories
  • Will feel warm to the touch to those it like, cool to the touch to those it dislikes, and hot to a near-burning extent to those it hates (Sith and ultra-good Jedi).
  • Saturated with the collective memories and emotional impact of the Mandalorian Cataclysm
  • Seems to enjoy violence against Aruetii, particularly against Dar'manda, Jetii, and Dar'jetii
  • Also seems to enjoy music, songs, and stories
Strengths:
  • Absorbs, focuses, and amplifies any form of energy
  • Can store large quantities of absorbed energy
  • Highly damaging/resistant to Sithspawn, Dark Side Spirits, Light Side Spirits, Force Golems, or any other force infused entity strongly tied to only one side of the force
  • During a slashing attack, the sharp, crystalline edge is superb at cutting through both soft and hard protection, such as Force Imbued Cloth, Silk, and Leather or heavy plating made of common metals
  • During a thrusting attack, the sharp, crystalline edge is also good at cutting through more exotic protection, such as Force Imbued or restricted metal Chainmail, Scale-mail, and thin plates of restricted metals
  • Cutting and Piercing capabilities improve as weapon reaches the upper limits of its energy storage capabilities
  • The blade's heavy weight makes blocking strikes from this weapon difficult
  • In spite of its heavy weight and hand-and-a-half length, these swords are very well balanced and a can be used equally well to strike, block, and parry attacks
Weaknesses:
  • Core temperature increases with increases to amount of stored energy
  • Overloaded Bes'manda must vent excess energy, typically as an explosive pulse or a directed beam
  • All stored energy is violently released upon exposure to a Force Nullification field
  • Temporarily loses all properties not identical to a similar Beskar Sword when within a Force Nullification field
  • Only a force user can communicate with a Bes'manda sword
  • Non-FU users cannot guide sword on when and how to unleash its stored energy
  • Large and heavy, the blade is unwieldy and tiring for users without augmented strength
  • The blade's heavy weight makes deflecting strikes from this weapon very effective
tumblr_mx9vgdvVRN1s2589qo1_500.gif

DESCRIPTION

Bes'manda Ori'kad'e are rare weapons. Initially created sometime after the Mandalorian Cataclysm, the ore that these blades are made of can now only be found in a still-molten state within volcanoes that were active during the time of the cataclysm and have remained active during the years of terraforming that followed. Even harder to forge than it is to find, Bes'manda is typically broken during the process of forging and turned into common Beskar. But, for those with a high degree of skill and a knowledge of what they are working with, this molten ore can be forged into plates and blades that are equal parts metal and crystal, retaining the properties of both a Kyber Crystal and Beskar.

These crystal-matrix metal swords are the most common item to be made of Bes'manda, a material considered divine and of semi-religious importance to the more spiritually mindful Mando'ade. Are still a rare sight upon Mandalore itself, and are all but unheard of elsewhere in the galaxy, these blades are often mistaken for the much more common (but still rare) Chaab'kad weapons that some Mandalorians wield against enemy Force Users on battlefields across the galaxy. Unlike the Chaab'kad weapons that discharge Concussive, Thermal, or Electric energy when struck, Bes'manda blades emit an energy similar to the mystic Beam of Light, but much less powerful than the starship destroying energies typically associated with the phenomenon. Though typically discharged as an energy burst similar is size and scope to the blast created by a thermal detonator, this discharge can sometimes be directed into an energy beam that ranges in power from that of a heavy blaster, to a discharge that would be more comparable to a heavy laser cannon. In the hands of a skilled force user, the blade can sometimes be coaxed into emitting a much more powerful discharge.

Additionally, while Chaab'kad discharge energy whenever they strike an object or are struck in turn, the discharges emitted by Bes'manda blades can very erratically in frequency and intensity. Adding to the unpredictable nature of this weapon, these discharges are entirely reliant upon the exotic Bes'manda metal itself absorbing a portion of any energy this weapon comes into contact with. Without receiving damage, or at least being in a suitably hostile environment (such as a highly radioactive battlefield), the Bes'manda can not build up enough energy to discharge. In the case of a force user, this can be expedited if the wielder of the weapon is willing to heavily focus their attention upon the blade and pour their own energy into the weapon. An act that improves the blade's capability to cut and pierce objects, armors, and material weapons, but is highly dependent upon the attunement and skill level of the user.

In addition to being able to augment the rate at which a Bes'manda weapon builds up energy, a Force User can also guide and direct the weapon itself on when and how to produce these energy discharges. A normal individual, by comparison, would be entirely unable to predict when and how this weapon chooses to discharge itself during combat and will need to always be ready for an unpredictable discharge of energy to come from his or her weapon.

Another important difference between Bes'manda weapons and Chaab'kad weapons is that, while Bes'mada will also project emotions and flashes of memories into the minds of those near to it (a highly distracting and unnerving event at first), the emissions are entirely less chaotic than with Chaab'kad and seem somewhat purposeful. The emotions themselves can range from a sensation of being entertained or annoyed, angry or remorseful, disinterested or a deep, craving need for violence. Which, as most who are familiar with both weapons will attest, is far more acceptable than the constant fear and dread the pulses and radiates from Chaab'kad weapons. It is the memories though that disturb Mando'ade the most. While Chaab'kad weapons are constantly flooding anyone near the weapons with the memories of the Sith and Slaves that died during the Mandalorian destruction of Dromund Kaas all those years ago, Bes'manda floods nearby people with memories of Mandalorians dying during the recent Cataclysm. That is... sometimes it does. Other times the metal shares much more recent memories, sometimes it shares the memories of the wielder itself or the memories of someone else near to the weapon.

To most Mando'ade, these memories and emotions are taken as if they were a direct communication from the Manda, with the sword as the channel. Some even take this as the will of Kad Ha'rangir being spoken to them. But to those rare few who are truly familiar with the weapons, they understand that this is the intelligence of the sword itself attempting to connect to and communicate with the sentient beings that surround it. And to the Force users who sometimes wield these blades, it is through these same means that they communicate with their blade in turn.

Not Ordo

Just under the upper hand.
[member="Mishka Larraq"]

My one major concern here is the weapon's ability to expel energy in a directed beam or explosive blast. Could I get you to please add, for the sake of clarity a portion from the ranged template to describe the range, stopping power etc? I understand that the blast is partially dependant on the user but just to give an idea to help keep a potential user from trying to fire at ships in orbit or something else you and I know could come up. Also, for the non-directional blast, is that dangerous to the user? i.e. do they go boom too? Knock that out, tag me, and between the two of us I think we can get you stamped off.

[member="Gib"]

Gib said:
Also, for the non-directional blast, is that dangerous to the user? i.e. do they go boom too? Knock that out, tag me, and between the two of us I think we can get you stamped off.
It can be. It's kinda situational. I'd hazard that the detonations are more likely to occur during a strike than during a block, and that it's usually only during a block that the user would be at risk of self-injury.

Gib said:
My one major concern here is the weapon's ability to expel energy in a directed beam or explosive blast. Could I get you to please add, for the sake of clarity a portion from the ranged template to describe the range, stopping power etc? I understand that the blast is partially dependant on the user but just to give an idea to help keep a potential user from trying to fire at ships in orbit or something else you and I know could come up.
Yeah, no. No shooting into orbit. And honestly, if someone were going to pump enough energy into this thing to launch an attack anywhere close to that scale, it'd be a once per thread kinda attack, done in lieu of any other blasts from this weapon... Say.... Like going an entire invasion thread, enduring heavy combat the entire time, pumping energy into it the whole time, and never using the "discharge" from this weapon in spite of using the weapon the entire thread.

Let's see... I found a gif I like... And I'd say that the effect you see in the gif would be... The absolute upper limit of what you could do with this.

20120530222615_original.gif

Big and flashy, but really... Just a big fwoosh of vague-ish intensity that should be taken seriously since it should only really be used as a once-per-invasion kind of finisher move. Something you'd launch at, say, an AT-AT or a Leviathan or maybe a Gungan shield-dome. Which is cool and all, but if someone hits you with a Force Nullification field while you're building up a charge that intense, it's really, really going to hurt when that thing explodes in your face.

But yeah, rambling aside, I'd hazard that an "appropriate" range for the beam effect (normally comparable to a heavy blaster or a laser cannon) would be somewhere between average and long range. Like, the beam itself can reach long range, but unless you're aiming at a Leviathan, you won't be hitting anything past average ranges.

For visual reference, here's a neat gif that... I guess would be a beam of laser cannon / heavy laser cannon intensity?

tumblr_ne19tpquqD1sizvqeo2_500.gif

Give me your thoughts, tell me what you don't like, tell me what you wanna see in the sub.

Not Ordo

Just under the upper hand.
[member="Mishka Larraq"]

I completely get the intent and everything you're saying looks good from here but I'm going to have you add this:

Ammunition Type:
Ammunition Capacity:
Reload Speed:

Effective Range:
Rate of Fire:
Stopping Power:

I know, I know but this gives an "at a glance" understanding of this aspect of the weapon. Like I said, its for clarity. Do that and baring unforseen occurrence I think you'll be good to go. Thanks, boss.

XOXO
Gossip Gib

[member="Gib"]

ENERGY PROJECTION SPECIFICATIONS
Ammunition Type: Absorbed External Energy or Channeled Force Energy
Ammunition Capacity: Limited
Reload Speed: Very Slow Charging (dependent upon exposure to external energy sources)
Effective Range: Average (practical) / Long Range (physical)
Rate of Fire: Very Low (one discharge per post or less)
Stopping Power: High (frequent attacks) OR Very High (infrequent attacks) OR Extreme (once per thread finisher)

How's that?

[member="Mishka Larraq"]

As of Factory 5.0, new submissions have to conform to the new rules. That includes submissions within it. As the rules are now - multiple RMs in one submission is not allowed.

That said, you can either remove the multiple RM material or alternatively submit a modification for the material to conform to 5.0 standards.

[member="Zef Halo"]

Oh. I think I get what you're saying.

Bes'manda is... I guess you could call it an alloy... But it's just Kyber Crystals and Beskar. You could view it as a single giant lightsaber crystal that's taken on the properties of Beskar, or view it as Beskar that's taken on the properties of Kyber Crystals. I know it says "Force Infused" in the Bes'manda description, but that's just fluff to explain the "Mandalorian" personality traits. The only property of Bes'manda that could really be viewed as coming from any natural force infusion would be the damage bonus against Sithspawn and other "force attuned" monsters. And if that's a sticking point, I can remove that property from this submission. Everything else is pretty much straight from the Kyber Crystal wookieepedia page.

Other than that though... This submission is just a Beskar handle + a Beskar/Kyber Crystal alloy. And as far as I'm aware, Kyber Crystals are not a restricted material.

Or are you saying that Bes'manda, as a Beskar derivative, should be a unique restricted material and not combined with other versions of Beskar?

[member="Zef Halo"]

Actually... I went back and re-read the Bes'manda and Soul-Steel submissions and the source material for both of them.
The principles behind Force Imbued Blades were very much the basis behind Soul-Steel, which I remembered... But they also play a bit of an effect upon the principles behind Bes'manda's construction and properties as well. No where near to the extent as with Soul-Steel... But more so than I had remembered.

I was debating pretty heavily with myself on trying to tinker with the Bes'manda submission itself to bring it in line with current rules... But I just like the submission the way it is. From a lore, canon precedence, and overall story perspective... It's neat and I like it too much to destroy the story/lore aspect of the original submission just to conform with the changes that have been made to the Factory's rules.

So... I guess I'll just let this one go for now and maybe tinker with it again down the road. But for now... Go ahead and archive this.

[member="Mishka Larraq"]

Interesting submission. At first it really gives me a high fantasy vibe, even too much. Nonetheless, this sword is pretty strong but I don't see a glaring, extreme issue to prevent me from approving it.

That said, though, I'd like to see the melting durasteel like a lightsaber feature removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom