OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a new and interesting weapon out of an existing metal submission and to expand the range of products House Larraq Plate and Blade can sell.
Image Source: The Black Cauldron
Canon Link: NA
Primary Source: Bes'manda
Manufacturer: House Larraq Plate and Blade
Model: Bes'manda Ori'kad "Divine Metal Great-sword"
Affiliation: Closed Market
Modularity: Limited (Style and Ornamentation)
- Bes'manda Blade
- Beskar Handle and Cross-guard
- Beskar/Electrum Alloy Ornamentation
- Beskar Sheath with Terentatek Leather inlay
Size: Hand-and-a-half Sword
ENERGY PROJECTION SPECIFICATIONS
Ammunition Type: Absorbed External Energy or Channeled Force Energy
Ammunition Capacity: Limited
Reload Speed: Very Slow Charging (dependent upon exposure to external energy sources)
Effective Range: Average (practical) / Long Range (physical)
Rate of Fire: Very Low (one discharge per post or less)
Stopping Power: High (frequent attacks) OR Very High (infrequent attacks) OR Extreme (once per thread finisher)
- Naturally attuned to a 'balanced' state of force alignment
- Glows faintly, increasing in intensity when Bes'manda is on the verge of overloading
- Serves as a focusing medium for meditation and certain abilities
- Possesses a memory and emotion based consciousness that borders on sentience
- Capable of non-verbal communication with other pieces of Bes'manda and force sensitive beings by radiating emotions and memories
- Will feel warm to the touch to those it like, cool to the touch to those it dislikes, and hot to a near-burning extent to those it hates (Sith and ultra-good Jedi).
- Saturated with the collective memories and emotional impact of the Mandalorian Cataclysm
- Seems to enjoy violence against Aruetii, particularly against Dar'manda, Jetii, and Dar'jetii
- Also seems to enjoy music, songs, and stories
- Absorbs, focuses, and amplifies any form of energy
- Can store large quantities of absorbed energy
- Highly damaging/resistant to Sithspawn, Dark Side Spirits, Light Side Spirits, Force Golems, or any other force infused entity strongly tied to only one side of the force
- During a slashing attack, the sharp, crystalline edge is superb at cutting through both soft and hard protection, such as Force Imbued Cloth, Silk, and Leather or heavy plating made of common metals
- During a thrusting attack, the sharp, crystalline edge is also good at cutting through more exotic protection, such as Force Imbued or restricted metal Chainmail, Scale-mail, and thin plates of restricted metals
- Cutting and Piercing capabilities improve as weapon reaches the upper limits of its energy storage capabilities
- The blade's heavy weight makes blocking strikes from this weapon difficult
- In spite of its heavy weight and hand-and-a-half length, these swords are very well balanced and a can be used equally well to strike, block, and parry attacks
- Core temperature increases with increases to amount of stored energy
- Overloaded Bes'manda must vent excess energy, typically as an explosive pulse or a directed beam
- All stored energy is violently released upon exposure to a Force Nullification field
- Temporarily loses all properties not identical to a similar Beskar Sword when within a Force Nullification field
- Only a force user can communicate with a Bes'manda sword
- Non-FU users cannot guide sword on when and how to unleash its stored energy
- Large and heavy, the blade is unwieldy and tiring for users without augmented strength
- The blade's heavy weight makes deflecting strikes from this weapon very effective
Bes'manda Ori'kad'e are rare weapons. Initially created sometime after the Mandalorian Cataclysm, the ore that these blades are made of can now only be found in a still-molten state within volcanoes that were active during the time of the cataclysm and have remained active during the years of terraforming that followed. Even harder to forge than it is to find, Bes'manda is typically broken during the process of forging and turned into common Beskar. But, for those with a high degree of skill and a knowledge of what they are working with, this molten ore can be forged into plates and blades that are equal parts metal and crystal, retaining the properties of both a Kyber Crystal and Beskar.
These crystal-matrix metal swords are the most common item to be made of Bes'manda, a material considered divine and of semi-religious importance to the more spiritually mindful Mando'ade. Are still a rare sight upon Mandalore itself, and are all but unheard of elsewhere in the galaxy, these blades are often mistaken for the much more common (but still rare) Chaab'kad weapons that some Mandalorians wield against enemy Force Users on battlefields across the galaxy. Unlike the Chaab'kad weapons that discharge Concussive, Thermal, or Electric energy when struck, Bes'manda blades emit an energy similar to the mystic Beam of Light, but much less powerful than the starship destroying energies typically associated with the phenomenon. Though typically discharged as an energy burst similar is size and scope to the blast created by a thermal detonator, this discharge can sometimes be directed into an energy beam that ranges in power from that of a heavy blaster, to a discharge that would be more comparable to a heavy laser cannon. In the hands of a skilled force user, the blade can sometimes be coaxed into emitting a much more powerful discharge.
Additionally, while Chaab'kad discharge energy whenever they strike an object or are struck in turn, the discharges emitted by Bes'manda blades can very erratically in frequency and intensity. Adding to the unpredictable nature of this weapon, these discharges are entirely reliant upon the exotic Bes'manda metal itself absorbing a portion of any energy this weapon comes into contact with. Without receiving damage, or at least being in a suitably hostile environment (such as a highly radioactive battlefield), the Bes'manda can not build up enough energy to discharge. In the case of a force user, this can be expedited if the wielder of the weapon is willing to heavily focus their attention upon the blade and pour their own energy into the weapon. An act that improves the blade's capability to cut and pierce objects, armors, and material weapons, but is highly dependent upon the attunement and skill level of the user.
In addition to being able to augment the rate at which a Bes'manda weapon builds up energy, a Force User can also guide and direct the weapon itself on when and how to produce these energy discharges. A normal individual, by comparison, would be entirely unable to predict when and how this weapon chooses to discharge itself during combat and will need to always be ready for an unpredictable discharge of energy to come from his or her weapon.
Another important difference between Bes'manda weapons and Chaab'kad weapons is that, while Bes'mada will also project emotions and flashes of memories into the minds of those near to it (a highly distracting and unnerving event at first), the emissions are entirely less chaotic than with Chaab'kad and seem somewhat purposeful. The emotions themselves can range from a sensation of being entertained or annoyed, angry or remorseful, disinterested or a deep, craving need for violence. Which, as most who are familiar with both weapons will attest, is far more acceptable than the constant fear and dread the pulses and radiates from Chaab'kad weapons. It is the memories though that disturb Mando'ade the most. While Chaab'kad weapons are constantly flooding anyone near the weapons with the memories of the Sith and Slaves that died during the Mandalorian destruction of Dromund Kaas all those years ago, Bes'manda floods nearby people with memories of Mandalorians dying during the recent Cataclysm. That is... sometimes it does. Other times the metal shares much more recent memories, sometimes it shares the memories of the wielder itself or the memories of someone else near to the weapon.
To most Mando'ade, these memories and emotions are taken as if they were a direct communication from the Manda, with the sword as the channel. Some even take this as the will of Kad Ha'rangir being spoken to them. But to those rare few who are truly familiar with the weapons, they understand that this is the intelligence of the sword itself attempting to connect to and communicate with the sentient beings that surround it. And to the Force users who sometimes wield these blades, it is through these same means that they communicate with their blade in turn.