Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Beskad-class Starfighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
rommel3zu6.gif

Image Credit: unknown author, image found Here; which appears to be a play-by-post submission from 2006

Intent: Wanting to produce a new starfighter that could compete with the rare and exclusive Bes'uliik starfighter, Mandal Hypernautics set out to design one of the most deadly starfighters on the market. The company set out to create an advanced starfighter with unrivaled durability and firepower, but without sacrificing in speed.

Development Thread: Receiving Contract, Reviewing Performance, Mining Beskar, Mining Phrik,
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics,
Model: Beskad-class Starfighter
Affiliation: Mandalorian Navy, Levantine Sanctum Navy, Hyperion Security,
Modularity: Beskar and Phrik variants
Production: Minor Production (Beskar), Minor Production (Phrik)
Material:
Durasteel Frame
Alusteel Hull
3.175mm Beskar Plating or 4.7625mm Phrik Plating

Description:
The Beskad-class Starfighter was an ambitious project launched by Mandal Hypernautics to provide the Mandalorian Navy with a cutting-edge starfighter that could match and exceed those of neighboring militaries. Early on in the design process, the decision was made to prioritize performance over cost. With this in mind, the company began acquiring bulk shipments of Beskar for use in the armor plating of the starfighter. However, the weight of the reinforced Beskar Armor resulted in a drastic reduction in speed and performance in the craft. Determined to keep the Beskar plating as part of the design, engineers and executives began searching for innovative alternatives to reduce to weight of the vehicle.

The decision was eventually made to sacrifice the Hyperdrive engine for larger sublight engines and increased weapons payload. Instead of following the current trend of designing the vessel with a dual ray/particle shield system, Mandal Hypernautics engineers trusted in the durability of the Beskar armor and universally agreed to forgo ray shielding in favor of extra strength particle shielding. While this combination of specialized armor and superior particle shielding has resulted in an improved overall durability to blasters, lasers, mass-drivers, concussion missiles, and a number of other weapon systems, it has left the starfighter even more vulnerable to ion weaponry.

The offensive capabilities of the Beskad includes two repeating mass drivers, a Proton Torpedo launcher with homing ammo, and a small turret on the rear-most section of the fighter's dorsal structure. Intended to compensate for the below-average speed and maneuverability of the Beskad when compared to other starfighters, this small turret houses a Repeating Ion Cannon that is capable of rotating 360 degrees and is capable of up to 45 degrees of elevation and 20 degrees of declination. The tail-fins next to the turret are capable of a great degree of articulation are can be folded up next to the wings during combat so that they do not obstruct the turret's line of sight. Built into the design of the starship is the droid-processor from another Mandal Hypernautics design. The processor is integrated into the weapon and turret that adorns the back of this starfighter and operates it independently of the Pilot and at the pilot's instructions. The pilot has a 'safety switch' that can be activated or deactivated to keep the droid-processor from firing the weapon when unwanted.

After several years as a prototype, a contract opportunity with the Levantine Sanctum inspired Mandal Hypernautics engineers to re-review the Beskad Prototype for full-scale production. While performance reports, maintenance reports, and after-action reports all pointed to the Beskad being a success, room for improvement was found and small modifications were made from the original prototype. Additionally, due to the questionable politics of selling a large quantity of Beskar products to foreign governments, an alternative model made of Phrik was developed for use by the Levantine Sanctum.

Classification: Elite Starfighter
Role: Space Superiority Fighter,
Height: 5 meters (9 meters including tail-fins)
Width: 4 meters (15 meters from wingtip to wingtip)
Length: 13 meters
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Photon Fuel
Hyperdrive Rating: None
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 1
Hangar: NA

Armaments:
(2) Repeating Mass-Driver Cannons
(1) Repeating Ion Cannon Turret
(1) Homing Proton Torpedo Launcher (6x ammo)

Non-Combative Attachments:
Extra Strength Particle Shields (no ray shielding, beskar plating supplements this)
Tracking and Targeting Systems
Encrypted Communications Systems
Advanced Combat Sensors
Integrated Droid-Processor from Kebii'tra Aranar Automated Gun Platform

Passenger Capacity: None
Cargo Capacity: 20kg
Consumables: 2 weeks
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 2.5 (2.0 Guide) 3 (3.0 Guide)

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
@[member="Captain Larraq"]

To begin, there is no dev thread for this Beskar and I can tell you right now that this ship will defiantly need a VERY GOOD THREAD to even be considered. Beskar is supposed to be a very rare material in today's universe and I just can't bring myself to imagine even minor-production could be effective. The point of the matter is that even at minor production, thousands of these things could be created and considering that Beskar is so rare I just can't see this happening. Secondly, I'd have to ask that this droid be brought down to unique production and that you give me a specific number that exist (I'd say six to eight and no more). Moving on I will pick on the sublight speed and I wouldn't consider a 2 "drastic" in terms of starfighters and I'd even say this needs to be bumped up to a 3 in sublight considering how "Heavy" you say this ship is. The armament also needs to change, mass-drivers have infinite range and varieties of ammunition that can be used and due to this they are taken into higher account than laser cannons. I'd say that the mass drivers need to be dropped down to at least 2 and i'm not even sure if i'm comfortable with that. Even here I am still iffy on it having 2 warhead launchers still.

To wrap up I am going to deny this for now based on the quality of Dev thread I'd need to see to consider this and the changes I think this needs. If you need to copy an of the information, this will be in the archives of the factory and if you wish to second chance it you can. For now, get me a dev thread for this ship and make the changes I asked for and then we can look over this again.

rejected.png

[member="Domino"]

I'm done with all the edits I can think of for this thing. I've tried to tone down the balance between weapons, speed, armor, and shielding to make it balance out against other 'elite starfighters' And at Unique (12), this is a single wing of prototypes. The idea behind the low production number is to hand a few out to various other characters/writers and see how the ships perform IC and see if they stay balanced OOC. At that point, if they perform well and nobody complains about them or abuses them, I'd do a dev thread where Larraq reviews the performance reports and decides to put the model into limited production.

I also felt that trading out the hyperdrive would help compensate for the beskar plating in both weight and general weaknesses. Likewise I removed one of the available weapon slots and dropped down the speed slightly.

When compared to the Bes'uliik that the ship is designed to compete against... this thing is utter garbage. But when compared to other elite fighters... the intent is for it to hold its own but not to overpower the other designs.

I think you have your ray and particle shields mixed up, particle defends against physical attacks hence keeping them would result in better missile and flack defense, not blasters and the like. Your particle shields would also tend to get shot down by your own mass-drivers and missiles. You're also over one on your guns. Astromechs are also optimized for navigation and maintenance, one would make a poor gunner in the snap-reaction time needed for a fighter.
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Photon Fuel Fuel isn't the reactor and there isn't anything for photon fuel on the wookie, this will need to be changed unless its unique tech you've developed in which case i'd appreciate a link to your tech sub.
[member="Captain Larraq"]

Domino said:
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Photon Fuel Fuel isn't the reactor and there isn't anything for photon fuel on the wookie, this will need to be changed unless its unique tech you've developed in which case i'd appreciate a link to your tech sub.
Photon Fuel is a power source used in the following approved Mandalorian starships.
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/528-br-0100-netanorac/
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/530-br-0592-kandosii/
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19139-cabur-class-starfighter/
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/408-br-0117-resolnare/

Domino said:
You're also over one on your guns.
This is an elite fighter. Of the maximum weapon allotment of 6 lasers/ion cannons and 2 missile launchers, I'm using 5 laser/ion cannons and 2 missile launchers (points wise anyway)

Domino said:
I think you have your ray and particle shields mixed up, particle defends against physical attacks hence keeping them would result in better missile and flack defense, not blasters and the like. Your particle shields would also tend to get shot down by your own mass-drivers and missiles.
Absolutely! The shielding protects against projectile weapons and the beskar (due to the nature of beskar) adds enough protection against energy weapons to compensate for the lack of dedicated ray shielding. It's only with the combination of shielding and armor that it gets a suitable level of protection (at the cost of remaining vulnerable to ion cannons).

Also, I forget the name for it, but the weapon mounts usually have special ways to avoid damaging the ships own shields. As... kinda a standard of starship technology. Either the weapon barrels protrude slightly through the shields or the shields are 'turned off' in that exact area just before the weapon fires. One of the Tech Judges could probably explain it better than I can if you have any questions about that.

Domino said:
Astromechs are also optimized for navigation and maintenance, one would make a poor gunner in the snap-reaction time needed for a fighter.
Good point! I'll replace that bit with the Droid Brain from my AA Platform. It should do the job nicely.

Also, since it was under by 1 on the weapon allotment, I went ahead and added the repeating modifier to the Ion turret as well. Considering the unique nature of the craft, the lack of a hyperdrive, and the adjusted shielding that keeps the Beskar from being overly powerful... it should still balance out just fine. (hopefully)

I must have derped on the weapons, just had fighters on my mind.

"While this has resulted in an improved durability to blasters, lasers, mass-drivers, concussion missiles, and a number of other weapon systems, it has left the starfighter vulnerable to ion weaponry."
Again, this makes it sound like your particle shields are defending against blasters as well. And All shields and fighters are vulnerable to ion weapons, but I know what you mean, the ion lasers wont be stopped by the shield for those first few hits. I'd just like this section worded a little better for non-techie people.
[member="Captain Larraq"]

"""While this combination of specialized armor and superior particle shielding has resulted in an improved overall durability to blasters, lasers, mass-drivers, concussion missiles, and a number of other weapon systems, it has left the starfighter even more vulnerable to ion weaponry."""

[member="Domino"]

Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom