Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beneath the Waves

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

Felt like she had ship-legs. Flying was such an odd feeling. Almost like swimming in the water but...still different. The solid ground off the ship seemed to buck and bend, though she knew it was solid. Even if it was a floating city. The feeling of movement in her limbs just wouldn't equalize. The teen was so busy getting used to walking outside of a ship that she didn't notice her surroundings at first.

So many people.

A war-torn world had its pockets and resistance fighters but never so many and so many doing ordinary things.

She felt her adrenaline rise as an old instinct. Iced-azure gaze couldn't stop bouncing around...everyone. She flinched as a large alien reached in his pocket. What did she expect?

Not a comms unit. She expected a blaster or another weapon. In fact, she couldn't stop the feeling that some explosion would rip into their path soon enough. That these beautiful buildings would soon crumble. These normal and boisterous people would soon let loose screams.

Because what she was hearing now wasn't normal. None of this was. She needed a weapon. Why hadn't her Uncle given her a weapon before she left?

"I...," eyes turned to Judah. Junk food? "Don't know what that is."

Rations and finding her own food was all she was used to. Didn't have rations or find food meant you didn't eat that meal. There was a loud bang off to their left as a cargo ship began unloading its goods. Noel did what was natural, not understanding what the noise was. What she would've done on Gala.

She ran, ripping and sliding through the crowds of people. She had to find safety. Hide. Get away from the explosion that would surely follow. If she was caught in that crowd of people, she'd be as good as dead with the panic'd stampede.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

"Food that is completely unhealthy with little to no nutrition value but tastes amazing."

Judah was going to start walking out of the docking days and wax poetic about the benefits of lounging around and stuffing ones face full of empty calories. He didn't expect the young girl to know about such things but Judah hoped when she spent enough time with himself and Makai that acclamation would slowly happen.

As cargo was being unloaded he didn't expect her to bolt though. The girl took off like a bat out of hell. Judah was mildly appreciative of her speed but a little worried about her running off. Noelani was bright but she wasn't used to crowds, people and an overall urban setting.

Stretching a little, the old man slowly set off in the direction of the girl. Some in the crowd turned to look at the running girl and then back at him. Judah flashed a smile.

"No, I didn't kidnap her."

The teen didn't think about stopping even with the surprised gasps and yelps. Heart thrum-thumped in her chest and with a quick cut to the right, she changed direction, iced-azure gaze worriedly looking for cover. Like her Dad taught her.

Unruly curly hair whipped behind her.

There was the edge of the city. Water surrounded it. She could just jump. The water was always safer for her kind but she couldn't quite make it there. Plus, the distance to the water might be too great.

There was another BANG as another cart got unloaded and she instinctively crouched and flattened herself to the ground, crawling beneath a parked speeder. Eyes closed, fists clenched at her sides as she waited for an explosion that would surely come.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

Eyes had caught sight of her by now. She was running, hair wildly flying out behind her, catching stares of dockworkers and passers by alike. What did they have for children now? Those little leashes with cute rucksacks attached? Thats what he needed, something to reel her in when she started to wander. Never thought he'd be considering a leash for kids but here he was.

Noelani darted underneath a speeder and seemed to stay there. Hiding from him? Or something else? Either way he made his way over to the speeder. Hand rested on the drivers side as he squatted down. Knees popped and Judah groaned, feeling his age suddenly.

A grunt and he titled his head down, eye level with his new charge.

"Hey kid, you okay?"

She waited. But there were no screams. No explosions. Was this what normal sounded like?

Then she heard Uncle Judah's voice.

Eyes slowly opened. Heart still best furiously in her chest and her body remained tense. Head turned, wisps of hair scattered across her scaled-speckled brown face. She gulped and took a staggering breath. "I thought that sound."

There was another BANG from a loading dock a little ways off.

She cringed.

"I thought," she whispered. "I thought we were under attack. Is it safe?"

And suddenly, she felt very small and alone.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

"We're fine. The docking bays I keep everything at are pretty heavy with cargo vessels too. The banging sounds like someone moving stuff around the loading docks."

Judah smiled but there was a touch of sadness to it. He was worried about the girl now. First he had been concerned she wouldn't appreciate being cooped up on a private island with her Uncle and twice-weekly visits from a maid. Now he was beginning to see the island might be needed in her adjustment.

"Now I'm not saying this place is one hundred percent safe. There's crime like anywhere else. Pirates in some portions of Mon Cal but what I am describing is nearly every place in the 'verse. We're safe. Probably one of the safer places in the galaxy."

Judah adjusted his position, ancient knees protesting.

"How about we just order whatever you need on the HoloNet? Get it delivered and we can head on home."

They weren't under attack? Just normal sounds. Just unloading. The girl took a steadying breath.

"Okay," she breathed. Slowly, fingers uncurled from fists. Even as another unloading sound happened, she couldn't help the jolt of tension that rippled through her form. They were fine. They were safe. She had to trust Uncle Judah. Even if it was just a little for now.

"I'm...I'm coming out now." Slowly, she crawled out. Feet found their way beneath her and she stood, fingers tucking curly hair behind her ears. Skittish gaze looked around. "I've just never seen this before. So many people, just walking in the open without being...cautious."

It was strange.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

Judah slowly stood up, wincing at the feeling in his knees. Certainly too old. How did these late in life fathers do it? He was going to have to start working out more if he was going to keep up with both Makai and Noelani. Hand ran through his hair, taking in her appearance. It was clear she didn't want to believe him. Why would he go to all the trouble of bringing her to Dac just to lie? Judah could understand well enough though, he was a stranger and trusting a stranger typically got one killed.

"Its going to take an adjustment. Maybe we can start doing it in short bursts and in much smaller locations."

Head nodded back to the docking bay they were just at.

"Atmospheric craft is that way. Wanna head home?"

Arms crossed tightly. Iced-azure gaze that seemed to swirl with lighter blues and greens fixated back on Judah. She gave a quick, quiet nod and followed him. She remained close and tried not to jump at the sounds that reminded her of war and home.

PTSD.

Maybe when she relaxed more, she'd find a place like this fascinating. Fun even. But now? She was too alert. Everything was too new. And she felt so....out of place. Lost and alone.

"It's not home," she muttered beneath her breath. It was hard for the teen to imagine anything else like this ever feeling like home. Of course, she was young.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

Judah felt bad for the kid. Still jumpy despite his reassurances that these were normal, daily activities that went on throughout the galaxy day in and day out. It made him curious what the girl didn't know. Daily life? It was becoming clear war and the activities surrounding it were all she knew. Would her fate been different if Noelani's mother had been alive? It was difficult to tell.

Arm wanted to rest around her shoulders. It was a typical act he did with Makai but he wasn't sure if Noelani was going to respond the same way. His arm went up to go around and he quickly stopped. She already had enough trouble for the moment, didn't need to push it. He heard her words and nudged her a little, opting for that type of contact instead.

"How about 'Uncle Bachelor Pad' instead of home? Don't worry, I doubt Dac will ever feel like home to you but in time I hope you'll feel comfortable here."

Judah helped her into the atmospheric shuttle and they were off, soon sweeping over vasts expanses of glittering ocean.

Stoic and quiet as ever, she gave a small nod. It was a noncommittal nod, the type any teen would give. Everything here was so new and different. Uncle Judah was still a stranger. She was beginning to think she could give him a chance; maybe begin to trust him. Just depended on what happened from here on out.

He seemed genuine and wanting to help.

Forehead leaned forward, resting against the glass of the passenger side of the shuttle. Eyes that matched the water below stared down and across. Even the ocean was different here. It wasn't littered with bones of war machines and debris. It was clean. Beautiful. And for the first time, the smallest of smiles wound its way on her lips, hidden from Judah's view.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

Judah did his best to point out the landmarks along the way, even ones that weren't quite visible, like underwater trenches and reefs off in the distance. Not that he suspected Noelani would remember much of the trip or the landmarks but it seemed better than sitting in silence for fifteen minutes while they flew out. Soon enough the deep,dark waters turned to turquoise and more and more islands became scattered into the mix. Judah banked the vessel to a chain of three small ones, scattered in the mix of the large archipelago.

Atmospheric shuttle landed on a pad on the largest island on one end, the mansion looming in the distance at the other end of the island. Shutdown procedures soon had the shuttle sitting idle.

"Welcome to Uncle Bachelor Pad. Come on, we'll hike on to the house and you can decide which room you want to be yours."

The teen was definitely glad to be on solid ground. And her feet in the sand. Salt air pushed across her face and hair and she found herself hit with a longing for home. And an even deeper reminder that her father was gone. Just like her mother. She would've started crying right there if she hadn't used up all her tears on the ride over.

Besides, her father would've wanted her to be strong. Not weak.

Iced-azure gaze focused on the building as they walked ahead, weaving through a well worn path littered with shells. She'd never seen anything so grandiose so she assumed he meant a unit. "But which one are you? In the middle or bottom floor? And who are the neighbors?"

necker-2.png

"All of it is one unit - kind of a sprawling house but it gives guests a place to spread out."

Judah continued walking along the crushed seashell path, weaving through the tropical vegetation. As usual the winds were high and the smell of the ocean was carried with it. He grew up never seeing an ocean but found he quickly adapted to it - tended to happen when you had a half-aquatic kid.

"Neighbors? Across the way from us are Mr. and Mrs. Barai. Older couple, near human. They have great parties and are pretty social. Retired, live here full time. "

Judah was using his hands to point out the islands around them. It would take a boat or a strong swimmer to reach the other island. Galans could easily do the task, Makai would swim around from island to island all the time in his youth.

"Korraay Family is diagonal behind us. Huge family, three generations in the shipping business. I think they might have a girl or two around your age.Donnall Family in the islands right behind the Barais. Don't really know them, moved in not too long ago. Heard they are just part time residents of this area. "

Judah looked to her.

"I know things seem spread out but you get used to it. People are pretty friendly around here. I'll teach you how to use the atmospheric shuttle so you can get around. Makai's sailboat is just sitting there too if you're interested."

[member="Noelani Kai"]

[member="Noelani Kai"]

Makai had come home a few days ago to find it empty. His Dad wasn't expecting him, although he did find a note on the 'fridge addressed to their housekeeper, mentioning he was out on business and out be back soon. Needless to say he still made himself at home, content to lounge around until his old man returned.

Stretched out in the sun by the pool, Makai was scrolling through his comm. He swore his body was still frozen from his stint out in the Iron Empire. There had been a mistake. Eyes had caught the shuttle streaking near the island and landing. Like a little kid excited when dad came home from work from the day, he quickly left the comm and started down the path.

Voices could be heard, comm call? No, his Dad was pointing out their 'neighbors' of sorts. Odd.

It didn't take long to find why he was talking, a girl was with him. A girl that looked suspiciously like himself. Scales. Curly wild dark hair.Iced azure gaze. Eyes flicked between his Dad and the girl. There was a question in his gaze and he wondered out loud if it was odd to ask in front of the girl.

He was going to do it anyway.

"Hey Dad, thought I'd surprise you." Hand ran through his hair and gaze fell back on the girl. "Is this...are...Is she my sister? Like half-sister?"

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

"You live in....all that?" She breathed, ocean-like gaze wide like a fish's mouth. And added. "I know how to sail." Water vessels she could do. Naturally. But space? No.

Cautious gaze refocused as a boy who looked a lot like a Galan came up the path.

Instinct had her step slightly behind Judah. Dad? Tan-skinned self peaked out. She wasn't used to other people her age. He looked about the same. She'd been in war all her life, surrounded by older adults who fought. Sometimes there was another kid but they usually evacuated right away. Or, she saw them once or twice and never again.

"My parents are dead." She said rather flatly.

[member="Noelani Kai"]

"Okay...Not sister. Here I was just going to congratulate you Dad."

A boyish grin was directed towards the older man as his father glared at him. Makai got the hint and reigned himself back in just as the new Galan mentioned her parents were dead.Eyes flicked back between his father and the girl hiding behind him. Either his Dad adopted the girl outright (a small possibility) or this was a relative of his somehow. Makai was banking on relative. He had a ton of Uncles, most of whom he hadn't seen since he was a baby or toddler. It would only make sense there would be a entire Kai family he didn't know.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I couldn't imagine."

Well, he could. Makai had spent almost a decade thinking his mother was dead. He doubted the girl would care about his own story right now or ever really. The teenage half-Galan went close, extending his hand.

"Makai. I'd hug you but you look like you could snap my neck at any moment. Welcome to the family."

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

"Don't worry, I won't be staying long," this time, she emerged from behind Judah and went to brush past Makai. The teen didn't quite know how to react. She didn't understand half of what Makai was getting on about with the congratulations bit. And he assumed she'd hurt him?

She was sullen enough already.

It was clear she didn't want to be here. She wanted to be home. She felt so out of place, so anchor-less. She wanted time to herself. Tanned palm pushed the curls away from her face as she stomped up the path, bare feet digging into the sandy-path. She didn't even have any shoes but that was something she preferred anyway.

A glare was shot in the direction of Makai as the boy gave a look of 'what did I do?!' to his father. Clearly Myra Elspeth wasn't the only woman his son had the penchant for making angry. Boy had a real issue with ladies leaving in a huff around him. Judah left some clear instructions for Makai to find something creative to do away from [member="Noelani Kai"] before walking after the girl.

He wasn't concerned - she couldn't get far. Well she could swim far away but hopefully the teen girl had enough sense to know it would be rough to survive in her current state. Maybe in a few months he'd have to worry more, when she had learned more than death and destruction. House already appeared open thanks to Makai, nearly every window open as the sea breeze kicked up on the island.

Catching up to Noelani, he smiled.

"You will come to learn your cousin is an idiot."

"Yeah. Was gathering that," she grunted and stopped in the house's entryway. Lips parted and mouth dropped. Brown face couldn't quite wipe that awed look - the same one she had on the transport when they circled down and into the island. This whole place was his house?

She felt quite small.

The teen just wanted some alone time. Something that felt familiar. And here? Here she was surrounded by everything foreign - except the sea. "Where do you need me to stay?"

She'd probably sneak down to the ocean later. Then again, not like she'd have to sneak at all. She doubted Uncle Judah would mind considering he didn't have to fear her drowning...well unless in some odd-extreme case. Some half galans had to be conscious to work their gills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom