Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=14.6667px]Babylon Candles[/SIZE]
Ca8ZsIMWwAAQ-fB.jpg

[SIZE=14.6667px]Image Source:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] From the movie Stardust[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Intent:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] To codify an artifact that was created years ago on another forum for Chaos canon reference and purposes. To submit yet another item to be sold at Marrow & Illskins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Development Thread:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Manufacturer:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Dissero[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Model:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] N/A[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Affiliation:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Marrow & Illskins exclusive product.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Modularity:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] No[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Production:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE]Semi-Unique - available for purchase and use by PC characters only.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Material:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Wick: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Epicanthix[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Hair Fibers, [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Avabush[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Fiber[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Wax: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Kloodavian[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Brain Matter, [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Falleen[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Blood, Ground Kasha Crystal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Description:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE]The flame of these candles reveal truths and paths to the wielder that might otherwise be hidden or falsified. Drawing upon the inherent nature of the ingredients used to craft it, the candle expels a Force Aura around the user when lit that weakens and may nullify Force-based illusions, tricks, and mental illusory effects/powers when the user is within the illumination sphere. It can also help to reveal things hidden or otherwise not readily visible to the naked eye such as Force-based: camouflaged/disguised creatures/figures; hidden passageways; invisible inks; and other secretive things of this nature by highlighting their presence with a particular red glow.

The candles have no effect upon technology-based: cloaking; camouflage or disguises; nor chemically or physically-induced [IE brain trauma, dehydration, illnesses of the mind, etc.] hallucinations, as well it has no effect upon inorganic things such as droids.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Crafted originally by Dissero’s ancestors, the ritualized creation of the Babylon Candles involves powers and spells requiring a High Knight or Master level skillset of Organic Alchemy and Sorcery/Witchcraft. The process, passed down to him by his mother [member="Lorelei Darke"], is delicate and can be ruined by the slightest deviation of recipe, spellcast error, incantation mumble, or poor ingredient measurement. It takes one full moon cycle to create just five Babylon Candles.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]While immeasurably useful and powerful in its finished state, Babylon candles burn so fast and can be so costly and complicated to make that it is, inexplicably, a highly niche craft skill with the knowledge of their creation being exclusive to the point of becoming a lost art.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Candle Levels of Effect:[/SIZE]
  • When lit, the candles magic requires the user to be the illumination sphere in order to draw upon their Force energies to enact the magic crafted within.
  • In the hands of a an NFU/Apprentice/Padawan its effects are minimal - serving only to weaken cast illusions within the sphere of influence and may only offer brief glimpses of what is true or real.
  • Knight-level users will experience heightened drain and effects, allowing them to better ascertain the origins and nature of the power around them.
  • Powerful Force Users of High Knight and Master rank experience the most flawless use of the candle in where it can nullify illusions or tricks within its sphere of influence by drawing on their more potent energies.
  • High Knights and Masters can extend the range of light a Babylon Candle sheds by channeling their powers even more through the candle for Enhanced Use when lit, but this in turn causes the candle to burn even faster and considerably raise the drain on the user’s energy.

Candle Usage:
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Normal Babylon Candle use will grant the user 5 posts worth of its power. The radial illumination range of an un-enhanced candle is approximately 3m (~10ft). [/SIZE]
  • Enhanced Babylon Candles last only 3 posts with a bolstered range of max 9m (~30ft).
  • A Babylon Candle can be put-out after lighting for short instances of use and re-lit until all five (or three) posts have been used up.
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Babylon Candles can be used by both FUs of any alignment and NFUs with equal results, Enhanced FU Use notwithstanding. [/SIZE]
  • Babylon Candle wicks and wax, when lit, dissipate rather than melt and so cannot be collected or saved to make new candles.
  • A burning Babylon Candle gives off a terrible odor due to the ingredients and magic used to create it and so makes using it secretively a difficult task.
  • A melted candle (due to high heat) can be reformed if the heat was of natural origin and not Force-derived, though will only burn for 3 un-enhanced posts due to degradation of the wax.
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]After a Babylon Candle has run its course there is nothing left behind of it. [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Magick[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]For use, the candles can be placed within any normal candle holder, though a lantern box is recommended to protect the candle during use. It is not recommended to hold the candle in one's hand while lit as the candle burns so quickly and body heat may melt the wax. It is recommended to use only normal matches or lighters to light the candle as Force-Based fire or lightsabers usually have adverse effects on the power of the candle in question. [/SIZE]

Candle Weaknesses:
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Babylon Candles are delicate and do not fare well for wear, tear, or general physical abuse[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]They readily melt under high temperatures and will lose effectiveness of both range and duration[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Are sensitive to degradation by residual Force Powers of either alignment[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Candles have no nullifying effect on hallucinations caused by naturally occuring physical illness or trauma[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Candles have no nullifying effect on technology based disguises, cloaking or camoflage[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Level of candle's effect depends upon the level of power the user has [NFU/Apprentice, Knight, Master][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Direct exposure to esoteric Force Powers, Nexus, amulets or artifacts will typically destroy a candle[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]For unknown reasons, exposure to an Ysalamir field will also destroy a Babylon Candle[/SIZE]

Candle Storage:
[SIZE=14.6667px]Babylon Candles are sold in satin or velvet lined, padded wooden boxes, the boxes of which are lacquered in mid-grade Force Nullification Resin to protect the candle while in storage from the effects of other Force artifacts or Users that may be stored or living nearby. Stored properly, Babylon Candles have an extremely long shelf life and have been observed to be viable even after several centuries.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Primary Source:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE]

<p>Awesome. Pending Admin Approval. Thanks! [member="Spencer Jacobs"]</p>

EDIT: Since there's obviously a pretty serious disconnect between how I see this submission and how the second-stamp authority sees this submission, I'd like to put my rationale on the record. From the Standardized Development Thread guide:

• Any Force nullification items without reasonable weaknesses.
This submission is functionally a ysalamir-style Force nullification item, except that:
  • It's single-use and disposable
  • It affects a smaller area
  • It only affects a very small subset of Force abilities
  • It has a list of limitations as long as your arm
As such, it easily falls under the Standardized Dev Thread item listed above, and thus I'm comfortable stamping this with no development thread.

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Dissero"]

I am not comfortable with the limited production and the lack of development for this type of artifact.

Especially since it is basically an end all null for any canon or non canon force illusion.

So

Without development:

[SIZE=14.6667px]Production:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Semi Unique at a fixed amount[/SIZE]

Remove the following:

"the candle expels a Force Aura around the user when lit that voids and nullifies Force-made illusions, tricks, and other mental effects upon all things under its light, of any nature or conjured rank. It can also help to reveal things hidden or otherwise not readily visible to the naked eye such as camouflaged creatures, hidden passageways or paths, invisible inks, cloaked or disguised figures, spirits, and other secretive things of this nature by highlighting their presence with a particular red glow. Useful as it is, the candle's flame is extremely short-lived."

[SIZE=14.6667px]With Development [/SIZE]

1) I need at least fifty quality posts for this at limited production and to have the current items placed back in.

Please also clarify the effects of such things as the white current and the uses of a Croke.

Or

[SIZE=14.6667px]2) Amount of quality posts may be lowered if you lower the amount of items it can affect. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Or[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]3) [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Set it at 30 quality posts and add in the restriction that in order to buy these, a ten post purchase thread must be done. [/SIZE]

[member="Dissero"] [member="Cira"]

After being able to actually review this myself. I have a few things. As for the production, I'd like to request this to be marked semi-unique - mostly because the fact that limited allows NPCs to use this as well seems to be a bit much.

As for the development thread, 50 seems to be a a lot and I don't like to keep people tied up for something that can easily be handled by remembering that production levels also include who can use what. So as Factory Admin, I apologize but I am stepping in on this.

Edits required:

• Change production to Semi-Unique to remove the ability for NPCs to use it
  • 20-25 quality posts to have the item as is (with the previous edits and the edit required for production)*
  • Do explain a little about white current since that's bit is an interesting aspect to the candles, this does not mean to cut the quality etc in the development posts - just feel like this is something that needs a bit more explaining in the description of the item.

Any questions you can message me on skype or on the board.

*Any posts that are deemed not quality (one-two lines) will not be counted in the total post count.

[member="Spencer Varanin"]

Production has been lowered and the description has been rewritten up to Candle Usage section.

Dev will be forthcoming, but I want to know I'm headed in a proper direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom