Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private At the Edge of War

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers
Tag: Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

With a heavy sigh, Valery sat down on a supply crate somewhere along the edge of the refugee camp. It had been set up on Tynna not long after the Mandalorians attacked Rodia, as it was the closest Alliance planet along one of the bigger Hyperlanes. Camps had been built, supplies had been delivered, and Valery had traveled there to boost morale and maybe look into solutions. But walking around for even a few minutes just reminder her of all the refugee camps that were built during the Second Great Hyperspace War. It was exhausting, and after several hours of walking around, talking to people, she was out of energy.

Her eyes were focused on nothing in particular anymore, as she sat alone and stared at the dirt. Peace really couldn't ever just last, huh? The Maw was defeated, the Empire collapsed, and now the Mandalorians were breaking alliances and causing trouble in the Galaxy.

It just never stopped.

After a long moment, Valery finally reached for her necklace and held it in the palm of her hand. She activated the projector, and looked at the image of Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble and the little ones. All she wanted was to be with them right now, enjoying a better time at their new home, but sitting here at the edge of Alliance space, so close to yet another war... she felt like she couldn't be further away from them.

But at least she wouldn't be entirely alone.

two.png

Refugee Camp
Tynna

"What's this?" A familiar, playful voice disturbed Valery's somber quiet. Alicio stood leaned against a nearby wooden pole, tapping judgmentally on his datapad, though he couldn't disguise his smirk. "A Jedi Master, slacking on her duties? I'll have to tell the Senate about this."

He left his indignant act behind quickly enough, approaching his friend with light footsteps, stopping finally within arm's reach of his friend. He wasn't usually the kind to offer a hug, his family had been adequately touch-averse, but lingering within the space of one was practically an invitation. "It's good to see you, Val. Thank you for coming."

This wasn't his camp, but Alderaan was certainly a large supplier, and the organizer had sat down with him over holocall to ask for advice. He'd arrived nearly at the same time as the Sword had, but duties had kept them from seeing each other. Alicio started in the medical wing, using what healing he had to assist the doctors. He'd spent a few hours doing laundry, organizing supplies, generally trying to be as helpful as he could. He seemed his usual self, though his usual self was more dour and still than Valery's. It was odd, seeing her beyond his usual level of broodiness.

"How are you?"

- Valery Noble Valery Noble -

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"A Jedi Master, slacking on her duties? I'll have to tell the Senate about this."

Even though she had been feeling a bit down, Valery couldn't stop the smirk that began to tug at the corners of her lips from growing. She turned, looked up and watched as the Count appeared in front of her. He wasn't the type to initiate hugs, but Valery very much was, and got up to pull him into a warm, friendly embrace. It had been a little while since the two of them were able to meet up and either talk or work together, so this sure helped improve her mood quite a bit.

"It's good to see you again too, Alicio," Valery said as she pulled back from the hug, a smile still lingering on her lips. Just for a moment though, because as fun as it was to see him again, she couldn't help but remember the reason why they were here. Another conflict coming up, and even more people who had lost their homes.

That and she had really hoped to be with her family, but that was a more selfish thought she had to push aside for now.

"I've... been better, but I can't complain too much. Everything is going well with my family and I'm still kicking." She flashed a weak smile and looked him in the eyes.

"What about you? My husband seemed a little... displeased with the recent senate meeting. I hope it hasn't gotten on your nerves too much? You don't really get breaks from it all."

Returning the hug, Alicio let his smile shine unbidden. It had been a long time since they'd been able to talk, beyond short pleasantries when they dropped each other's kids off, or in passing as Alicio waited for Amani at the temple. Much had changed since their jaunt on Denon.

"I've... been better, but I can't complain too much. Everything is going well with my family and I'm still kicking."

Alicio blinked, his features sharpening with inspection, as if he was trying to read her thoughts behind her fiery eyes. But he didn't press.

"You... get used to it." He cringed a little. It probably wasn't a good thing that blatant power-grabs and hate were becoming normalized. "But I don't blame Kahlil. There were senators very... adamant... in their attacks on the Jedi Order's autonomy. They sensed he was new to the public stage, and tried to goad him, I think." Alicio frowned. Not everything they had said had been completely wrong, which made it all the more frustrating.

"But in the end, the Alliance is taking steps to oppose the Enclave. Which is as good as we could expect." Issuing a condemnation with threat of retaliation if the Mandalorians continued was a measured response, but Alicio could tell it wouldn't be enough. More worlds would suffer before the GA truly mobilized.

"I've had... better days, too." For a moment, Alicio's expression mirrored Valery's. "A lot has happened since we've last spoken." He gestured with a hand at the camp around him. "But this is as close to a break as I can hope for. Helping here makes me feel... fulfilled. At least, I'll take this to sitting in my pod any day."

"Is anything... specific, troubling you?"
His head canted to the side. Maybe he could help. Or at the very least, relate.

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"I'm not surprised they tried to make it about our actions, and... Kahlil is not very fond of politics either. So he can get a little too direct sometimes," Valery said with a chuckle. "But I heard one senator proposed that we'd be sacrificed to the Mandalorians, so I can understand him getting more intense as well." If there was one thing that made Kahlil angry, it was people threatening his family in any way.

She was certain Alicio didn't appreciate it either, considering Amani was on the mission too.

"I agree it's the best possible outcome, but it's still going to cost lives. It's just a matter of time before they strike their next target now," Valery said with a sigh, knowing that Alicio was more than aware of it too. But what was yet coming wasn't the only thing that bothered her, or bothered him. She frowned when he admitted to having seen better days, and briefly looked around the campsite again.

This was the future of so many more people.

"I was hoping that helping here would make me feel better, even though I had several meetings I was required to attend, but... I just feel a bit empty, if it makes sense?" Valery said with a weak smile. "I suppose I just really hoped that peace would last longer, so I could raise my kids with Kahlil and not worry about them losing their home again."

"I guess I was just being too hopeful."

"But I heard one senator proposed that we'd be sacrificed to the Mandalorians, so I can understand him getting more intense as well."

Alicio's expression became significantly more bitter. "It was an idiotic thing to say. I'm just glad it didn't gain more traction, or I would've fought them tooth and nail. Probably literally." He recovered a biting smile. That senator's viewpoint was certainly out of pocket, but there were plenty in the senate open to discussing harsher restrictions on the Jedi.

Alicio thought it would be an excellent way to chase their greatest allies off. And where Amani went... he would go, too.

He could only nod as Valery agreed with him on the Mandalorian front. The Alliance's response wasn't quick enough for either of their liking, but it would have to do. He wondered briefly if his impassioned response had hastened their measures at all. He'd like to think so.

As Valery laid out her heart, Alicio sat down where she had been resting only moments before, patting the space next to him to invite her down as well. He gave her his full attention, grey eyes deep with thought as he listened. Taking a moment to stew upon her words, and truly consider them, the dour Count responded. "I understand. Amani and I wanted the twins to grow up in peace, too. I never wanted August or Liana, or your children, to go through what these people have. What... I have." His past loomed large in his mind, from his recent trip to Balmorra.

"I wish... the galaxy could stand still for us. For our families."

"But as long as it doesn't... I'm actually glad we're going to war."
He held up his hands, assuring the Jedi Master that he understood how bad that sounded. "If we had seen what the Sith were doing, what the Enclave was doing, and did nothing, sure, we would avoid the conflict. But that peace would be empty."

Alicio let a hand rest on Valery's shoulder. "We've traded that peace for each and every life we save here, and in the future. If you ask me, that's a sacrifice worth making."

The Sith wrote that peace is a lie. Perhaps they were correct. There was always a battle worth fighting.

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"Kahlil would have killed them all," Valery said flatly, allowing her words to linger between them for a moment before her lips tugged up into a smirk. While he wouldn't kill them, she was certain he'd become a lot more dangerous if anything threatened her again. After having been without her for years, and after she nearly died in captivity, his patience for threats against his family had completely disappeared.

Then on the topic of the Mandalorians, Alicio very much hit the nail on the head for her.

"I wish... the galaxy could stand still for us. For our families."

She visibly deflated for a few seconds and dipped her head, but looked up when his hand settled on her shoulder. Valery showed him a smile again and let out a soft sigh, "Yeah, I wouldn't want to live in 'peace', knowing others are being terrorized by Mandalorians or Sith. I can't accept that, both as a Jedi and just as... me."

"I just hope we can stop them before this war becomes like the last. But we have to be more proactive for it, and we have to take the fight to them, if necessary."

"I hope he wouldn't," Alicio returned, feeling his lip mirror Valery's as she smiled. "I imagine the Jedi's opponents would have a few more talking points if a Councilmember struck down the Senate." But the Count's measured expression returned quickly. "Posturing happens all the time. Political statements. It's easy to cut past it with a clear head. But with emotions running high... I don't blame Kahlil for how he acted."

Valery seemed to be of the same mind as him, as they shared their thoughts on the oncoming war. Alicio leaned his head on a hand, an ironic, sarcastic smirk on his face, as he stared straight ahead. "That can't stop us from hoping for peace to return. As unlikely as it is."

"That's the worst part about hope, you know."
He flicked his eyes at the Master, checking her reaction before continuing. "It starts as a lie, that you wish to be possible. 'The war will end', 'people will get along', 'happily ever after'... It can be disheartening, when your hopes don't come true."

"But that's what makes hope so magical, too. Because there is so much power in believing that something is possible. Hope gives you the strength to press on, when survival seems impossible, because you believe it will get better. Miracles happen every day because someone thinks they can."

"So... don't lose hope for a better galaxy yet, Valery. The Alliance could certainly use a few more of your miracles."

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"I don't blame him either, though I do worry a little bit," she admitted with a sheepish smile. "He was really tense when I got home from Rodia, and I don't like seeing him that way." The worry wife as always, but she had seen what could happen if he really lost his cool, and she couldn't allow that to happen again. She had made a promise that she'd help him control that kind of emotion, and she'd always be true to her word.

"That's the worst part about hope, you know."

Valery's gaze shifted up to meet his with a curious sparkle, and what he added to it brought a smile to her lips. Ever since she stepped out of that stasis pod, Valery felt that her life had gotten so much better, and a lot of that was hope. A hope that she could make a difference, be with her family in good times, and so much more. It... really gave her a lot more strength than she perhaps realized.

"...always so poetic," Valery teased after a moment, "But you're right, and I'll do my best with those miracles you-" She stopped midway through her sentence, and looked down when her comm started bleeping. Usually, she'd ignore it in a situation like this, when she was talking to a friend, but something seemed alarming to her.

"This is on an emergency channel. Mind if I pick it up real quickly? You can listen in."

There was a sympathetic nod from Alicio to Valery, as he let his eyes wander their surroundings. "I won't lie, when Amani got home from Rodia, I held her a little closer, too." He chewed the inside of his cheek in thought. Had he felt tense? Sure, but by the way Valery was describing it, not in the same way as Kahlil.

"...always so poetic."

Alicio huffed out a laugh, though he bit back his teasing retort. Eloquence was certainly a guilty pleasure of the Count's. If he ever wanted to quit his day job...

The moment was brief, as Alicio glanced to the Jedi's communicator a moment before it went off. He tasted something off in the air. Whatever Valery had sensed, he'd picked up on it as well. Alicio nodded attentively., not bothering to speak.

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"You know I'm right~" Valery teased just a bit more when he huffed a laugh about her comment. But that brief moment of fun was quickly interrupted by her comms device, as well as... something they could feel that was connected to it. Valery frowned, but pushed her senses aside for now to focus. Alicio agreed that they should listen to what it was about, and thus she picked up her device and opened the channel.

<Master Noble? Are you there?>

<I'm here, in good company,> she said, making sure to add the last part in case it was somehow meant to be just for her ears alone. Even then, she'd probably let him stay.

<That's fine, but we need your help. Not all of the Rodian refugees have been able to reach Alliance space. Some landed on a nearby planet along the hyperlane, called Archae Teuthis. The natives have received them in their coral cities, but we received several distress calls. Something is happening to them there.>

Valery raised an eyebrow and turned to Alicio, <I'll check it out, and I have my back-up with me already.> She flashed Alicio an innocent smile for volunteering him, but she knew that he wouldn't mind.

Alicio gave Valery a light withering stare, a lilting smile on his face. "Alas, I admit it," he returned, planting a hand behind him as he leaned back. "Think I should be an author, instead of a senator?"

The communicator carried a dire, if vague, message. Besides a brief, thankful smile when Valery called him 'good company', Alicio's expression became somber with thought. Producing a datapad, the Count began absorbing information about Archae Teuthis, only putting it down when Val's fiery gaze turned to him. Of course he didn't mind the Jedi Master volunteering him.

She knew him well enough to know that he would jump at the chance to help.

He stood up, fanning his cape with the wave of his hand. "Then let's not delay." When Valery had first met him, Alicio had been diffident, timid. Now, his eyes held an unshakeable, ironclad confidence.

"I'm with you."

Last edited:

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"You could be both. Write an autobiography?" It was a half-joke, but she actually thought his life would be interesting to read about one day, and she had no doubt that he'd be an excellent author either. But the fun this conversation could have been was interrupted by the call, and it quickly became clear just how serious it was. Rodian refugees had scattered to many worlds, as expected, but now they were in trouble again?

But why? The Mandalorians had attacked to solidify their control over a planet that had been part of their territory before. They succeeded, so why would they be going after the Rodians?

Or was someone else behind it?

Valery pushed the questions aside for now and nodded, "Good, I can definitely use the help." She smiled and briefly looked the Count in the eyes. A lot had changed since she had given him some of his early lightsaber lessons, and it showed in his confidence. He was ready, and she knew she'd be a lot stronger having him by her side.

"We can take my ship and we'll be there in no time at all," Valery then said before she started rushing over to the Bastion, the light-freighter she owned with Kahlil. "I do wonder who could be causing this. It just... doesn't make any sense."

"You could be both. Write an autobiography?"

Alicio's mouth twitched a smile. He doubted his life would be particularly interesting to read about.

He didn't have much time to workshop a title before Valery was up and moving. Alicio had made leaps and bounds in his physicality, but there was no way he could keep up with a Jedi in her prime. Pumping his legs, the Count was a few steps behind his friend, his cloak a black tide behind him. She posited a question, one Alicio hadn't really had the time to ponder.

"Not sure," he returned, keeping his words short to conserve breath. "Doesn't sound like the mando MO! Could it be pirates?" The Count's pace naturally slowed as he thought, his thinking face making him appear sadder, somehow. It followed that pirates would try to profit off all that moving capital.

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"Pirates seems plausible," Valery replied as they reached the bastion. With a click of a button on her wristpad, she summoned the ramp down and hurried her way inside. "They're refugees, so far easier to target for people who prey on 'the weak'. It's either that or the Mandalorians have really lost it completely." She wasn't hoping on the latter because that would mean they'd be going into a far more dangerous situation.

A few pirates would be easy enough to handle. They might even run once the first lightsaber was drawn.

"Co-pilot seat is yours, and strap in. I'm going fast." She grinned wide, plopped down in the pilot seat and ignited the engines. The ramp came up and without absurd amount of speed and g-forces kicking her in the gutz, Valery pulled up and went straight up into the atmosphere, so she could distance them from the planet's gravitational field as quickly as possible. Once she had done just that, they were off into Hyperspace.

"You uh, are good with visions as well, right? Is there anything you sense already?"

"I hope they haven't fallen that far!" Alicio's dark countenance somehow grew darker. He'd heard horror stories of the Mandalorian's recent exploits, and didn't completely discount them. But more likely, Alicio reasoned, it was pirates. Or perhaps he simply hoped it was pirates.

That was the worst thing about hope.

Speeding onto the ship, Alicio practically threw himself into the copilot's chair, fastening the seatbelt around him as Valery flung them towards the stars. The Count felt his stomach jellify, every internal organ somehow lodging itself in the pit of his gut, before they were in the sweet release of hyperspace. He sighed out, holding his stomach.

"Is that how you always fly, Val?", he teased, looking a little green around the gills. "If so, remind me to take public transport next time we go somewhere."

"You uh, are good with visions as well, right? Is there anything you sense already?"

Alicio glanced at the Jedi Master, a frown overtaking him once more. "Yes, I can check. Just a moment. I need to go swimming." Valery was one of the only people in the galaxy to know what that meant. Rising from his seat, the Count found a spot on the ground, lowering to a meditative position. Placing his lightsaber in front of him, he regulated his breathing, focusing on the glittering gem within his weapon.

With each breath, the air around him grew colder. With each breath, Introspect levitated higher in the air.. Until finally, icy white plumes escaped his mouth, and his lightsaber ignited, spinning lazily as Alicio was thrust into the Future. To Valery, it would look deadly peaceful, as Alicio's slate-grey eyes stared into the blues and blacks of his blade, frost slowly crawling up his cape, his feet, his fingertips. The Force grew heavy around him, as Senator Organa looked beyond what could be seen.

Until finally, he came back, twitching his neck violently to the side, Introspect deactivating as it fell into his lap. He blinked for a few moments, gathering his bearings before speaking. "I... it was chaos. I'm having... difficulty, deciphering it all. The Future was constantly in flux. Rodians, Sulituans, panicking in the streets. Red blaster bolts, coral cobblestones running green with blood. Ships... I couldn't make out the model. And..." Alicio pursed his lips.

"There was a thunderstorm. The Bastion was struck by lightning, lost power above the city." He stood up again, perching in the copilot's chair once more. "So... whatever approach vector comes to mind when we see what's happening, maybe we should find a different one?"

two.png

Rodian Refugee Camp
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"Is that how you always fly, Val?"

Valery shot him a sidelong glance and pouted a little at the comment, "You sound like Kahlil now, but no... just when we're in a hurry." No public transport was going to beat her in a race to save lives, she knew that much. So unless he was willing to take it slower to get there, he'd just have to endure her flying. Valery didn't linger on that thought for long though, and pitched the idea of tapping into the future.

Through Vera, she knew how potent it could be, and Alicio was older, wiser and more refined in his skill.

So while he settled on the ground and began his ritual to tap into those currents of time, Valery remained quiet and continued their path at a more steady pace. She didn't want to disturb him, knowing that every detail they could get would be important, and she was quickly proven right. When he opened his eyes and settled back into his chair, he painted a rather disturbing picture for the Jedi Master.

"I think we're dealing with pirates or mercenaries, then. Mandalorian ships, you'd have recognized, right?" She sighed and ran a hand up through her hair.

"I'll be careful with our approach. Kahlil will kill me if I damage the Bastion," she said with just a faint smirk - an attempt to not get lost in the depressing thoughts about what was happening there. Then she turned, and pulled on the hyperspace lever to bring them out over the planet, and immediately, they were greeted by a small fleet of ships of various sizes and design. Not the streamlined lay-out you'd expect from a galactic power.

"I think this is going to take some more of my type of flying."

Whatever extra details Alicio had seen were still etched into his eyes as he looked at Valery. Oftentimes, it was easy for him to look into the future. It rarely phased him. But what he'd seen...

"I can't say," Alicio admitted, his lips drawn. "I'm not familiar with Mandalorian ships. But they didn't seem uniform, at least."

He willed the Bastion faster, gripping his saber in his hand with white knuckles. They may have been outside the Alliance, but as far as Alicio was concerned, they were his people, too. And they were in danger. Valery's brief attempt at humor didn't seem to improve his intense forward stare. He tried to smile back, but the scowl never left his face. "I just hope we get there in time to make a difference."

As the ship exited hyperspace, Alicio's brow furrowed in concentration. He'd already fastened his seatbelt in anticipation for the Jedi's evasive maneuvers. "Do what you need to, Valery," he muttered, pressing buttons on the console ahead of him. "Archae Teuthis Defense? This is the Bastion. Jedi are here to help."

Alicio nodded to Val. For the sake of the refugees, and for the Sulituans, he could be a Jedi for a day.

two.png

Archae Teuthis
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsabers

"I have a feeling we'll be able to help them," Valery said with what she hoped to be a reassuring smile. It wasn't a vision or something profound that told her this — just a gut feeling. They were going to arrive, likely run into plenty of trouble, but she felt confident they could get through it together. Over the last few years, they had already handled so much, and this was exactly the type of work they had both signed up for.

Valery as a Jedi, and Alicio as someone who had given so much to refugees of war.

Coming out of Hyperspace, Valery focused purely on piloting and it was quite necessary, as a swarm of fighters of all kinds of weird, and mostly outdated designs gave chase. She maneuvered them through the chaos and even blasted a few apart with her cannons, as she went straight into the atmosphere. While she handled her part, Alicio had already established communications and a voice from down below came through.

"Bastion, we read you loud and clear. I'm sending coordinates to the city we used to receive the refugees. It's under attack."

Valery nodded and already began the approach. The coral city floated on the ocean, and from above, they could see a battle raging on down below. The locals and some Rodians who had taken up weapons were defending a bridge between two section of the city, while armed thugs tried to get across to get to them.

"Opening the ramp so you can get out first and onto the bridge. I'll land and catch up, okay?" she asked while she made the maneuver to give Alicio an early chance to jump into the chaos.

In all of his time as a... combative... senator, Alicio had never been in a dogfight before. It was quite the trial by fire.

Gripping the sides of his seat, Alicio grit his teeth through the inertia of the battle, so as not to chomp off his own tongue. He found a bit of hope, as the planet's defenses responded, sending the duo coordinates to the worst of the fighting. He didn't send any message back, he was too busy focusing on the immediate future, double checking to make sure they weren't seconds from exploding.

Thankfully, Valery was an excellent pilot.

"Opening the ramp so you can get out first and onto the bridge. I'll land and catch up, okay?"

Alicio had already unbuckled his seatbelt, nodding grimly to his friend. "I'll be expecting you," he said with an uneasy smile, before dashing out of the cockpit.

As soon as the ramp hissed open, Alicio was dropping from the ship, his cape fanned out like a thranta's wings. His heels made contact with a marauder's forehead, taking them both to the ground. The Count rolled up with the momentum, his lightsaber flashing to life already impaled in a man's chest. He'd landed amidst the pirates, but he didn't seem concerned. Alicio was in his element, sweeping through their loose ranks with the grace of a ballroom dancer, and the cold efficiency of an executioner. The defenders behind him only stopped to gawk for a second, before covering his back with blaster fire.

There was no room to be anything other than merciless, today. Not with innocent civilians at his back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom