Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artificial Intelligence

Orn'om

O
Question for you tech heads out there. Throughout SciFi there have been plenty of iterations of Artificial intelligence, or AI. Even within Star Wars AI is present, however it seems to be just a generic catch all term for the code and bits that go into making a droid brain. However it seems Chaos' AI take more towards the artificial sentience that we see in IPs such as Halo or Mass Effect. What I want to sub is something more akin to a droid brain, just without the body and instead connected to a hologram or just a voice. Less free than what we think of typically as AI and more along the lines of what Mass Effect calls Virtual Intelligence. Would that still be considred an AI here? Should I sub it as just a droid brain? What are your thoughts on Chaos' use of AI?

[member="Zeke Farthen"]

My interpretation of Chaos's rules was that anything trapped within hardware was a Droid, while only "free-moving code" such as Halo's Cortana would be considered AI on Chaos. Even if the intelligence is only capable of shifting between one hardware brain or another, if the software can escape the original hardware, people on Chaos have typically treated it as an AI instead of being a Droid.

So my input would be that is the AI is entirely locked to a single piece of hardware, it's still be a Droid.

However. Remote control functionality is a bit different. Plenty of droid brains are capable of being contained in a single large processing core, and then being used to remotely control one or more droids, even from an orbit-to-ground distance. And yet that's still a Droid. So, considering Mass Effect in particular, I'd say that so long as your intelligence is trapped on the ship and loses control of it's "puppets" if it's comms get jammed, then it's still capable of being called a Droid. But if it can copy itself and have those copies operate independently of a comm frequency, it's fall into the AI category.

Also, Droid Intelligence and Droid Sentience are not co-dependent in Star Wars. In the SW setting, Sentience is a program/virus that any droid can "pick up". Where as "Intelligence" is more a factor of processing speeds and a droid's ability to rationalize through complex situations.

In SW, there are several examples of starships that have Droid brains plugged in to various sections of the ship. Some have Droid brain point defense/weaponry turrets that are considered entirely different than simply having a computer that helps with targeting systems. Likewise, there are examples of ships with "three individual Droid brains" that bicker and argue with each other and make it incredibly difficult to hack into the starship. By all rights, the descriptions of these droid brains makes it seem that they're at least semi-sentient in terms of free will, even while not being particularly intelligent.

And then there are baseball sized I'm mobile cubes that serve as auto-hacker, but are so darn smart that people just call them droids anyway even though they entirely lack the sentience-capable personality programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom