Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrival at the Mountain Gates

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
It was only because [member="Jiriad Galaar"] and [member="Sigrun Galaar"] were Mandalorians that an invitation to feast at Heorot Hall was extended to them. Of course, few but a hardy Mandalorian would agree to traverse the path up the White Mountain, which needed to be traveled by foot without the ease of modern transportation, for a simple banquet. But only a Mandalorian clan would willingly call Krownest home. The planet, unspoiled by modernity, had little of value to offer the enterprising galactic citizen, beyond simple and hard living. It was for this reason that Krownest would forever remain in its solitary shell amidst the firmament. That was how House Kvall preferred it. If Clan Galaar had not been Mandalorians, Jor Kvall's attitude to them would be very different.

This particular clan seemed different, even amongst other Mandalorian tribes. Perhaps they were the closest blood to Kvall's own, separated by the unending trawl of time and history. But ancestral memory had called them back to the snow-capped dagger peaks and verdant forests of this wild planet, just as it had Jor's own people. As such, they would be welcomed as friends, though the motivations of the newcomers were still of curious concern to Jor. No doubt [member="Lira Kros"] was tending to the dishes, as was her specialty and joy. Jor's pregnant wife would probably enjoy the chance to host some company, and Jor was glad for it. She needed more female companionship than could be offered here in the keep of Heorot Hall, he thought. As for who amongst Clan Galaar's leadership would arrive, Jor did not know. Though he was sure they received his message, for it was impossible to miss. The datapad was delivered to their village by one of his own personal House warriors, along with a piece of mythosaur bone as a gift.

Jor stood outside the gates to Heorot Hall presently, breathing in the high mountain air. It was snowing today, which would make the path up the White Mountain all the more treacherous. He took one last sniff of the air, which bit at his nose, and wrapped his cloak tighter around his form as he turned to go back inside. The guests would arrive soon, and they would be hungry from their journey. He had better check to see what the kitchen was up to.

Tʜᴇ Lᴀᴡʙʀɪɴɢᴇʀ
[member="Jor Kvall"] | [member="Lira Kros"] | [member="Jiriad Galaar"]

Sigrun hiked up the snowy incline. The snow, the ice, the wintry winds. She was glad that her kinsman had chosen a place that was much like her birthplace back on Midvinter. Even the fellow clan that made its home here seemed to be reminiscent of the Valkyri folk. She knew very little about this Clan Kvall, but their invitation to their hall was thus far presented a good impression.

She was the first to take point ahead of her alor, her chieftain. Mainly, because she had been outside prior when the invitation was presented to them. One of her faults, really. Being headstrong and eager. She trudged her way up the White Mountain, axe unsheathed. While she was unaware of any predators being native to this world, she was not taking much chances.

She was wearing her armor, but seemed to lack any sort of cloak around her. Like many of her breed, the affects of coldness did not seem to bother her as much. She took a moment to catch her breath, and survey her surroundings. A great hall in the distance started to peek through the snow. One not unlike those of the Thanes. She could not help but smile at the seeming similarity of her hosts and her home culture.

She pushed onward, edging carefully as she walked along the mountain path. Snow and ice shifted as she made her way. It took some time before she got to the large doors of the hall. She sheathed her axe before pounding loudly at the sturdy wood.

"Hail, Chieftain Kvall!" She shouted over the frozen gusts of wind,"Tis Sigrun, of Clan Galaar!'

Jiriad Galaar was not far behind Sigrun, he too holding his axe in one hand, Heimasax, in case of predatory wildlife. Under his other tree-trunk-like arm, he carried a large wooden lockbox. Krownest was much like home to Jiriad and many of his other Valkyri kinsmen, and he couldn't have asked for a better planet for them to lay their heads after leaving Midvinter. Dressed in his pale beskar'gam, he hiked the Trembling Path up White Mountain unhampered by the frigid climate and blowing winds. The clan leaders' furs flapped in the wind, worn for decoration rather than warmth, with the snow and ice crunching and cracking beneath his feet as he made his way up the path.

When the gates of Heorot Hall came into view, Jiriad grinned. It seemed that Houses Kvall and Galaar had very similar mindsets when it came to building homes for their kin. He came up beside Sigrun and sheated his axe, placing the chest down for a moment to remove his helmet and clip it to his belt. "And Jiriad, Chieftain of Clan Galaar! Hail!" Trailing closely behind was the other clan mate who had been with Jiriad and Sigrun when they had originally met the Mandalorians back on Midvinter, as well as a trio of the clan's greatest warriors, they too carrying wooden boxes and barrels.

Jor Kvall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytNp0gikre0

The looming gates groaned open slowly, and exhaled warmth as their maw widened. Behind them were revealed torchlit sconces on stone walls, silhouetting cloaked figures. No modern comforts of the galaxy were readily apparent in Heorot Hall; they were there, but few and far between. Instead, the great hall of Heorot was a dark and forlorn space.

One of the figures stepped forward. As he peeled back his hood, light from outside cascaded across his blonde hair and beard and revealed him to be Jor Kvall. He was flanked by his trusted advisors and most dependable warriors, although only the Alor himself spoke.

"Alor Galaar," Jor's eyes fixated upon [member="Jiriad Galaar"] and he lowered his head as a sign of grace and respect. "Welcome to Heorot Hall. And you as well, Sigrun," Jor said, then turning to [member="Sigrun Galaar"].

At that moment he stepped aside, and bade the two entrance to his keep.

"You have traveled far. The Trembling Path is not to be tread lightly. I would like you to meet my riduur, Lira. She has prepared for us an excellent feast."

When Alor Kvall began walking, his advisors also parted to allow the guests to venture into the keep with him.

"Rarely do men seek to live on Krownest. To willingly call this planet home, one must be possess a certain quality to their blood. Perhaps this is something we share, Alor Galaar."

Lira stood back from the hot oven for a moment and fanned herself with her palm. It was such a rare occasion to have visitors to their hall; she would make sure it was memorable. It was her duty to be a good host–alongside her Alor. She'd been so relieved when [member="Jor Kvall"] had returned from the battle, especially now that she carried his child. Her hand gently dropped to cradle her belly, which was now beginning to show beneath the folds of her simple dress. The newlyweds looked to the future with hope, and she knew that this meeting with Clan Galaar would be important.

It was good for the clans to come together, especially now.

As she heard rushed footsteps move past the kitchen, she knew that their guests must have arrived. Quickly pulling her Haarshun bread from the oven, she transferred the thin, plaited bread onto a platter—it was a special preparation, filled with spiced meats and hardy root vegetables from the town below.

Lira emerged as Jor was announcing the feast she had prepared,quite good timing.

Welcome,” Lira said, bowing slightly to [member="Jiriad Galaar"] and [member="Sigrun Galaar"]. “Please.” She gestured to the long table that adorned their hall, now laden with an array of Mandalorian dishes. There were also bottles of mead to start... and there were stronger drinks to be had later.

Well, not for her.

Heorot Hall was, in Jiriad's eyes, perfect. Simple, low-tech, and he was sure very defensible. He grinned wide, giving a hearty chuckle and offering a strong hand to [member="Jor Kvall"] as he stepped in to properly greet his gracious hosts. "I should hope so, Alor Kvall, Krownest is just like home to us! I thank you and your kin for your gift and your hospitality, and look forward to getting to know you all better. The Path was a much appreciated test of our resolve and stamina, it's good to know my strength has not left me. Anyone who weathers these conditions has my respect, especially those without my people's affinity for the cold. We have not made the journey empty-handed, of course."

He drew open the chest he had been carrying, revealing its contents. Bone charms, jewelry with brilliant crystals, and swords and axes of masterful quality, all intricately and lovingly detailed with sigils and runes both Mandalorian and Valkyri. "As thanks for your hospitality. I assure you they are all of the highest quality, I would have it no other way! We also bring traditional Valkyri food and drink, to add to Lira's bountiful feast." Saying this, he turned from Jor to [member="Lira Kros"]. "My kindest greetings to you as well, and my thanks for preparing what I am sure will be a great feast indeed."

Jor Kvall

The hands of Kvall and Galaar met in a firm, resounding clasp. Jor was armored, but his hand was without its Mandalorian Crushgaunts, allowing [member="Jiriad Galaar"] to feel the Alor's flesh around his palm; a sign of friendship offered.

While looking down with an approving nod at the gifts offered by Clan Galaar, Jor kept [member="Lira Kros"] close to his side, witn an arm gently cradled around her waist. It was plain to see that the woman was pregnant, and carrying the scion of the Kvall that would herald in the next generation, and perhaps Jor's heir to the throne of Heorot. The weapons Jiriad offered were ornate and beautiful, much more befitting of ceremonial weapons rather than crude instruments of death to be used in battle. They would be treated as such.

"I thank you for your kind gifts, Alor Galaar," Jor thanked him, "We shall cherish them." Then, aside, he motioned and nodded to one of his warriors.

The kind gesture would be answered with another. Jor's henchman produced a beskar helmet from a sackcloth cover, of typical Mandalorian style but decorated with mythosaur bone and horns. The Kvall were known for decorating their armor in such fashion, and now the Galaar Clan would have a piece of their unique armor as well.

"Please accept this gift as well, Jiriad," Jor's warrior offered the helmet to him, while others closed the chest Galaar offered and moved it away for safe keeping.

Of course, the importance of current galactic affairs would soon be discussed, but Jor first satiated his intrigue with the Clan's unconventional background.

"You mention your nonhuman roots, Alor Galaar, and yet your appearance is wholly human, not unlike the characteristics of my own clan. What is the wellspring of your stock?"

Tʜᴇ Lᴀᴡʙʀɪɴɢᴇʀ
[member="Jiriad Galaar"] | [member="Jor Kvall"] | [member="Lira Kros"]​

As she entered Heorot Hall, Sigrun removed her helm. She was immediately struck by the scent of meat, alcohol, and other delicacies. She joined her alor and her guests as they chatted away.

"I mean not to interject, Lord Kvall, ahead of my cousin." She started, "We are born of the world called Midvinter. Our people are the Valkyri. I believe one of our royal folk is known to the stars better. Thurion the Heaven-shield, son of Thrand....Jeetai....Jidai....Jedi?"

She looked down a little. She grew up speakibg mostly the native tongue mixed with Basic. However, she was not familiar with the concept of a Jedi until rather recently. Warriors who called upon the powers of the Gods and wielded swords of burning light that could cut through most things. Most. She was likewise impressed by the Mandalorians and their strange iron that seemed unbreakable.

She moved her gaze to the Kvall-Lord's bride. She could not help but smile a little. Sigrun's mother had been a midwife, when she was still living. It was plain to see the slight roundness in Lady Kvall's belly, not from fat but from life taking root. But Sigrun dare not ssy anything unless either of their hosts wanted to speak of it. She may be brash and boisterous, but even a Valkyri lady knows when there's decorum to follow.

Lira marveled at the generosity of the Alor of Galaar, and she offered a polite bow of her head in thanks—as Jor voiced for them their appreciation. And when Jiriad mentioned that they would add to the feast, Lira was pleased... the more the better!

She, too, was quite curious about the roots of Clan Galaar, as it was not Krownest originally. The two Galaar that stood before them were very much Mandalorian, but with some differences. Namely, their height was greater than most here. “Midvinter?” Lira asked, canting her head slightly. It was not a world she was familiar with, but she thought, perhaps, she'd heard the name in passing before.

Giving Jor's arm a gentle squeeze, she moved from his side to have a seat at the long table that was overflowing with food. Lira's feet were quite tired and sore from her time spent in the kitchen, and she did not want the food to get cold, either. She glanced to Sigrun, curiosity still pulling at her thoughts.

And how does it compare to Krownest?” she asked, motioning for the others to take seats as well. Admittedly, the name of Heavenshield was unknown to Lira–for she did not keep very informed about the Jetise.

[member="Sigrun Galaar"], [member="Jiriad Galaar"], [member="Jor Kvall"]

Jiriad accepted the helmet gratefully, smiling. "You are too generous, Jor." He tucked the helmet under his arm, looking between the others as they spoke. Sigrun was not the only one who had difficulty adapting to the wider galaxy. City-sized ships, aliens aplenty, and Odiir knows how many sects of men and women who wielded this force called...well, "the Force" to do things unheard of outside of legend. Jiriad chuckled at the question Lira had posed to them. "Midvinter would freeze the blood of a normal man right in his veins, but we Valkyri thrive in such climates. Heh, to us Krownest is like summer. Some would call our home a 'backwater,' as we are not a...technologically inclined people. But we pride ourselves on our skill in crafting and smithing, gifted to us by Teign. I will wait, though, to regale you with tales once we have partaken of this glorious feast you've prepared for us!" He gave a joyous laugh and went to take his seat as motioned by Lira, beckoning for his men to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom