Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have any tips for switching from blue to white collar?

Was curious if anyone on the site has made this transition and is willing to impart some wisdom. Little info, I've been doing concrete/roofing/sandblasting/security/
welding since I got kicked out the military a couple years back. I'm really hoping to get into sales. What would be a good entry level job to pursue and are there any sort of classes I can take to get a leg up?

[member="Mr.Votaw"] I may not be help at all being in the UK and not in your circumstances BUT when I graduated Uni with a Media Degree, I moved 200 miles away and out of my "comfort" zone. I needed a job. I was good with computers and touch typing and basic understanding of admin.

I found that an agency was the best step; I went into town and signed up, told them what I could do and kept my finger on the pulse with them and I was placed as an Administrative Assistant for 2 weeks. 6 years later, I left the company after 3 internal moves and now work for another company - all construction based.

From Media Studies, to an industry I knew NOTHING about.

BUT learning from the bottom up and showing dedication and that team spirit I'm sure you have, along with your own personal skills and industry knowledge, I would say head to a job agency if you have them. Show a little faith in what you can offer and you should get in one or two places and eventually find that one place you like, can learn about and move up to permanent as I did.

Good luck to you!

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Concern your happiness with yourself, but concern your fiances with war.

Be honest with your God, but be polite with your fellow men.

Seek wisdom first. Then seek power. But always remember that a true religion, expects you to have both.

Advice sells books, it doesn't build empires. Therefore. Screw advice. Seek councilors and build empires.

sabrina said:
Well apparently usa short on plumbers, and it plumbing not hard.
But does he speak Polish?

WgHcWz1.gif

sabrina said:
plumbers, and it plumbing not hard.

Plumbing sucks. I did it for 3 years. The money is GREAT but the hours are atrocious . I mean you can't just pack up and go home for the day at a certain time especially when someones water is off. It was not uncommon to work 14 hour days and you have to work weekends if an important clients plumbing is all janked up. The up side is, the money is great if you can get a license and build a good client base, but you never really get much chance to spend it. In a month I would maybe get 1 full weekend uninterrupted if, and only if, someone else was able to go and do my job for me if a call came in.

sabrina

[member="Corran Watts"] which country you in

Also your right you can't leave when water off, but you can cap all open ends, as long toilet works and they have cold tap for water, they are basics in worse case scenario.

[member="sabrina"]

USA.

Sure, I could have done that, but I didn't want to leave someones water off just because it was 5 o clock and quitting time lol. Like, if it got down to it and it was just late, sure I would leave. But if it was just the time I had planned to get off, no.

sabrina

no never did that, but I never did site work just jobby plumbing.
I did not like carry bathroom suites in house they awkward to carry

I just waited for leaks to show them selfs, or mistakes to be spotted and fix them, other wise I finished of the showers, and wired them in.
I use to repair boilers, never really got into installs, as they can be heavy to slap on the wall.
Though know a says I do gas emergency work, which means I do lot less and get paid more for it.

[member="sabrina"]
(Just noticed your reply)

It's never really been about how hard the work is, blue collar by and larg has a better starting wage but a lot less room for upward mobility. (Company/job pending of course) Besides the working twelve hour days seven days a week (Concrete/ Glazing) and having zero free time to spend that nice check, gets kinda old.

[member="sabrina"]

As I stated before, Company/Job pending.

I made good money doing the Sandblasting/Glazing but was making absolute shit compared to the people that actually negotiated the contracts.

[member="Natasi Fortan"][member="Ludolf Vaas"][member="Connor Harrison"]

Returned to Blue Collar, grinding the inside of giant gas containers.

I'm not conducive to an office environment in today's society xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom