Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Annihilator Kyber Crystal Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
gwr6anK.gif
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: Make my own version of the beam weapon the Behemoth and Goliath use
  • Image Source: Click - Imgur.com / Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source:
    Superlaser
  • "LRBBeam" Super-Heavy Beam Cannon

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Kyber Crystal Beam Weapon
  • Size: Extreme (Can only be mounted on dreadnought-sized vessels)
  • Weight: Extreme

• Ammunition Type: Isotope-5
    Ammunition Capacity: Unlimited; the Annihilator draws energy from dedicated Isotope-5 generators of which only a microgram could power a datapad for an entire century.
  • Reload Speed: Very Slow
  • Effective Range: Battlefield
  • Rate of Fire: Very Low
  • Stopping Power: Extreme
  • Recoil: None
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • The energy required to power the Annihilator is produced via Hypermatter Reactors stationed throughout the dreadnought the weapon is constructed on. These reactors destroy hypermatter to create an enormous amount of power, which is then channeled along conduit tunnels and focused with large kyber crystals.
  • This energy is then focused further, to the point that the energy is transformed into a condensed highly volatile state. Once the energy has reached this stage, it is harnessed in a large firing chamber and launched at high velocity towards a chosen target.
  • Depending upon the size of the target in question, this released energy had a range of effect. On planets, the energy had the potential to cause catastrophic destruction to urban centers, with the landscape suffering heavy fallout and residual effects for miles around the point of impact. The energy could cause significant damage to, if not outright destroy, a starship the size of a cruiser or smaller, and it could chew through the deflector shields of destroyers. Battlecruisers and dreadnoughts were large enough and powerful enough to withstand a direct blast.
  • OOC: The aforementioned damage of the weapon can only go as far as other writers allow it, this does not allow any one-shot kills unless accepted by all parties involved. The above is merely a rough guide for probable damage outcomes and is not set in stone.
STRENGTHS
  • Powerful Beam: The energy generated by the hypermatter reactors and focused through kyber crystals has immense destructive potential, capable of causing catastrophic damage on cruiser size vessels and smaller ships while having a range of devastating effects on destroyers and battlecruisers.
WEAKNESSES
  • Volatile Energy: The energy utilized by the Annihilator is extremely volatile during the transference and the firing sequence, and even just one miscalculation on behalf of the gunners can cause catastrophic failure. Fortunately, several safeguards have been put in place to prevent such a disaster.
  • Recharge Time: The time it takes for the weapon to unleash its destructive energy, and the time it takes to gather enough for another shot, takes around five minutes. This is considered by the technicians who worked on the weapon to be abysmally slow, but the potential of the weapon more than makes up for such a lethargic recharge window.
DESCRIPTION

In their bid to become the dominant political and military force in the galaxy, the wicked masters of the Sith Empire gazed back through the annals of history to learn from the wisdom of their Imperial forebearers. One of the most striking features of the ancient Sith Empires was their tendency to build gargantuan superweapons that used large kyber crystals to power planet-shattering weapons.

Hungry to acquire this power for themselves, the scientists of the Sith Empire began to conduct profane experiments beyond the borders of civilized space in an effort to harness the same terror that had made Sith like Vitiate and Palpatine so feared by the Jedi.

Many of these trials ended in failure, often killing most or all involved in the project. Dozens of inhabited backwater worlds were stripped down to their cores or wiped clean of life in an attempt to master the power of the kyber.

It wasn't until engineers combined the successes of Defiance Consolidated Multipurpose Manufacturing, who had successfully created a miniaturized version of the beam weapon, with their own research into weaponizing kyber crystals that bred the Annihilator Kyber Crystal Cannon. After several more trials, which fine-tuned and ensured the weapon would work as requested, the weapon was then mounted on the Emperor's flagship, the Behemoth, and replaced the weaker beam weapon that had previously been the vessel's primary weapon.

**Note: This is not a Superweapon.**

skin, bone, and arrogance
Hi [member="Darth Carnifex"]. I see you're ticking all the boxes -- wicked masters, check; profane experiments, yes, all accounted for. This is a very well put-together submission, but I'm afraid it is going to require some balancing in order to proceed.

• First and foremost, despite your disclaimer to the contrary, this looks and feels like a superweapon and has a lot of symptoms of a superweapon. The ability to destroy a city or a mountain in one shot is beyond what I'm comfortable with approving as "not a superweapon." The destructive power should be reduced.
  • Even a substantially less powerful weapon with an infinite ammunition capacity is pushing the limits. My understanding of a hypermatter system like this is that it would not just appear from the ether, and would need to be present in some quantity, which could then be depleted. Bear in mind that, per the template for ranged weapons, the more powerful the weapon the smaller the ammunition capacity should be.

Please let me know when you're ready for me to review again! :)

Clarification: Does the needed destructive power reduction only apply to the city segment of the special features, or does it apply to the whole ship-scale portion.

Just so I know what exactly to tackle.

[member="Natasi Fortan Vitalis"]

I think being able to destroy any capital-class vessel with a single shot is encroaching into superweapon territory. Significant damage, I think would work better, with the existing caveat of obtaining the writer's consent.

Thank you for addressing my concerns regarding the destructive power of the weapon. I think this is more reasonable, especially when taken with the caveat that the opposing writer will determine the damage taken.

Darth Carnifex said:
energy would cause significant damage, if not outright destroy,
Change would to could in this statement, please.

Darth Carnifex said:
The energy generated by the hypermatter reactors and focused through kyber crystals has immense destructive potential, capable of destroying ships cruiser size and below while having a range of devastating effects on destroyers and above.
This strength should be changed to reflect the changes you made for Natasi per her request prior. What you have listed in the special features, summarizing its damage potential, would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom