Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private An Expected Journey

"I'm not so sure about this."

Arla stood at the ramp of Jaster's Delight, not quite outside of it yet, while Lori readied her pack and re-checked that everything was inside: food, water, clothes, medkit, bedroll, tent, rope, hatchet, small cooking pots, kettle and utensils.

"I know, Arla. But it's my choice. I'll have my commlink on me at all times. It won't take you long to find us if needed. Otherwise you can pick us up at the drop off point in three days."

Both headed down the ramp while they spoke, making their way to the Estate where they were sure that Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun , Heath and Rowena would be waiting. The staff was just starting to head out to line up in front for the farewell. It was a funny ritual of her Aunt's that had the house staff there for all of the comings and goings of the family, but she wasn't about to question it.

The plan was already set. Arla was going to fly them to one of the many islands on Mnemosyne that held mountain ranges. This particular one; the Tsawassan region held forested canyons, cliffs, streams and caverns. Lori thought it'd be perfect for them. And if they needed to give anyone the slip, then they could easily do so.

image.jpg

Second King of The Elysium Empire

Tag: Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun

Rex was late. His shopping had taken
hours yesterday, and he had slept in the shuttle. The shuttle had alarms, but he forgot to set them and now he needed to get to The Estate. No doubt Heath, Rowena, and Loreena were already there, probably eating a brilliant breakfast and wondering where he was.

Way to make a second-day impression, Rex.

He thought to himself as he jogged toward the Estate. At least the shopping had been successful. He now had a relatively new blaster pistol with sights on it, several pairs of clothes, including backups if he should need them for any reason, an extra pair of shoes and a set of black boots, one skin-tight exercise shirt and some shorts in case they decided to swim, and finally a knife and a lighter. He would pack some dry food from the Estate.

Finally he arrived, catching his breath before sneaking through the doors. As he walked down the hall he couldn't help but anticipate what the day had in store...

Lori watched the staff as they lined up, taking notice of Rowena, Heath and.....

Where was Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun ?

The pair of them stopped nearby, with Arla slightly behind her. Arla didn't reveal any emotion, instead just standing there like the bodyguard that she was. Some might be put off a little by her, but she was Lori's most loyal friend and crewmate. Everyone needed some kind of stability in their lives and for Lori, that was Arla.

"Where's Rex? Did he sleep in?" Of course she was also wondering if he had changed his mind and ran away. Wouldn't that be funny? Not to mention a relief for her in some respects. Yet if it were true, it'd also hurt her ego a bit. With the death of her first husband so quickly after marriage, it would almost seem as though there was no worse of a fate for someone to have; regardless of whether or not she chose to go through with it at all.

"I am sure that he will be here in a moment. Perhaps he is just fetching a last minute item for your journey."

Finally Rex entered the room. As expected, all three figures were there already, along with a breakfast fit for a king (literally, in this case.) He decided he'd be honest this time. No point in lying over something so simple.
"Sorry for my absence, I slept in later than anticipated." He proceeded to sit down, leaving a chair between himself and Heath. He liked to have space when he ate. Simply a pet peeve, as most people sat side by side at a table.

---------
Heath sighed, angered that Rex would allow himself to sleep in on such an important event. At least the food was still warm and the hostess was typically very understanding. It could be worse. Much worse. Heath proceeded to take a bite of eggs and bacon, a perfect combination for breakfast. As expected, the chefs had done an excellent job preparing the food. While Rex would be hiking, and exploring caves, Heath would be experiencing a week of luxury unlike ever before.

Lori sat down after Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun had arrived. She smirked a little to herself at his reason for being tardy. That was more of something that she would do, but Arla wouldn't let her of course.

She started eating, taking bigger bites than she had at yesterday's lunch, speaking inbetween each mouthful. "That's okay. I'm sure the mountains won't notice our arrival being a tad later." Lori ginned, but her aunt's expression was a little more dismayed.

"Have you both got everything packed?"

"I do. Everything's on board my ship. Arla's going to fly us there and pick us up later."

Arla nodded in response. She didn't really talk in front of others much. Unless they were on board her ship.

Rex frowned when he saw Rowena's dismay and Loreena's smirk. Clearly they weren't pleased. That is until Loreena made a joke about it, revealing that she wasn't upset about the situation. Rowena's face didn't change though....she wasn't happy about his tardiness. It was a this moment that the real Rex Valhoun shined through his mental cover. He was always worried about what Rowena thought. He had been since he first landed on the planet. This time he could not care less. She was a liar, she put on a fake face, going through all the necessities of being a hostess just for politics. She was arranging a marriage that her neice had absolutely no knowledge of until a day ago.

Why was he worried about what she thought?
He resolved that from this day on, Rowena was nothing but a placeholder. He would not play the game like his father. But in the back of his mind he knew that he could not make that statement until he was King. He didn't know what it was like. Maybe he would play the game...but not with Rowena. He saw through her, or at least he thought he did, and that was his final verdict until she proved him wrong.

After Loreena answered Rowena's question about whether or not she had everything packed, Rex replied, "It's all in a bag just outside of this room. I will grab it on the way out."

---------
Heath saw Rex frown, then watched the frown fade not into a resting face but one that displayed an emotion that he did not recognize. He simply hadn't spent enough time around his adopted son to know what he was thinking right now. Whatever it was, he clearly had made his mind up about something. The King dismissed it, he wouldn't know whatever it was until later, and making guesses and assumptions would not end well. Instead, he took another bite of his food and waited for the next person to speak.

Lori continued to eat her breakfast. There was something silent going on between Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun and Rowena, but she wasn't sure of what that was just yet. It was as though their posturing may have come to a head. Or something...Heath seemed to have noticed it too No doubt the subject would be touched on later on when her and Rex were alone.

"Great. Then we'll be on our way shortly."

Rowena saw the expression in Rex's eyes change. She had seen it before from others while she was climbing her way to the top. Most especially from men. However she didn't let it get to her. She didn't let him get to her either. This was all a part of the game.

"That's wonderful news. I'm sure that you're both eager to get started. The weather looks promising at least."

Lori nodded, and she hoped that the trip would be uneventful. She didn't need any agents suddenly appearing to take her down. All that she wanted to face was the wilderness and Rex.

Rex finished his food, he had eaten quickly, partially to be able to leave on time, and partially because he was eating instead of talking. It was a good way to avoid unwanted conversations. Loreena was packed, but still had some food from what Rex could see. When she finished, he'd follow her out. Until then he simply waited, hoping he wouldn't need to play Rowena's game any more than what was absolutely necessary.

----------
Heath was still eating, savoring every bite. He had finished the eggs and bacon but still had toast and butter to finish off. Rex and Loreena would leave soon and he wondered how he would spend his days. It was essentially a vacation. He would treat it as one. He would probably visit some shops, maybe go for a swim, and read some books. However the duties of being a King never left him. He needed to keep up with galactic news, and watch for any assassins that may be on his trail....

Last edited:
Lori took Rex's lead. He had finished his breakfast before she did, and so she was quick to finish up. It wasn't as though things around the table were exactly comfortable.

She pushed the plate aside and then got to her feet while she wiped the corners of her mouth with a hankerchief. "Well that was good, thanks. No need to see us out. We'll be well enough on our own."

Rowena glanced to Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun before returning her gaze to her niece. "Very well then. As you wish. And while you're away, I'll be showing his Majesty what we have to offer. I'm sure that the few extra pounds will be worth it. Good journeys to you both."

Good journeys.

It was a Commenori saying. Lori couldn't help but think that her aunt was reminding her of duty in a subtle manner. Still, she gave her a smile and bow of her head to each of them before turning to Rex. "Shall we? Follow me." Without another word she left the dining hall to head back to her ship. Arla waited until Rex had passed before she took up the rear.

There was a little bounce to Lori's step, for she loved exploring. Instead of wearing her Rebel armour, she wore her usual spacer outfit consisting of pants, boots, shirt and jacket. She wasn't expecting any trouble afterall.

Rex opened his mouth to answer "We shall", but Loreena was already out the door. He wondered if she was always this quick or if she was trying to escape like they did yesterday. This time it was Rex who decided to go slower, wishing Heath a farewell, "Well, we will be back before you know it. Enjoy your vacation." For Rowena, he offered a nod. He couldn't suddenly be hostile, she hadn't done anything that he hadn't pretended to not care about before. She needed to give him a reason before he could show his true opinion to her. Even if she did, he needed to keep her friendly long enough for the marriage to take place. Fortunately, he wouldn't be seeing her for several days now.

He quickly exited the room, grabbing his bag and catching up to Loreena. He wanted to say something but he didn't know what to say, so he instead decided to allow her to speak first. As he walked, he strapped on his recently-purchased gun belt. He'd holster the gun itself once they were outside. It was probably rude to have an open weapon inside an estate....

-------
Heath finished his bread as the two departed. He wasted no time to say two things to Rowena, "I don't know what Rex was thinking, but something is bothering him." And then, "Anyways....do you think Loreena will go through with the marriage after this weekend trip?"

Last edited:
Once they were outside of the Estate, Lori breathed out a sigh of relief. In some respects politicing was over. Now she could be herself and see if Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun could handle it.

And vice versa.

She led the way to Jaster's Delight which was just on the front lawn of the property and then stepped inside, turning to Rex as Arla moved past them to head up to the cockpit. "Welcome to my home. It's not much, but I can take her almost anywhere. Except for in Eternal Empire space. I can so far fly through the airspace of their allies as they aren't looking for me. And with the Bryn and others taking the Eternal Empire's focus away from the Rebels and myself, that just makes it all the easier for me." Not to mention the fact that her more or less leaving the Eclipse Rebellion, or at least dropping out of the public spotlight entirely had turned their focus away from her too. She wasn't complaining for it gave her a lot of freedom that she had lost beforehand.

The engines of Jaster's Delight began firing up, causing the vessel to shudder a little before lifting from the ground. "It shouldn't be long before we get there. We can probably just sit in the lounge."

Rowena's eyes returned to Heath after she had watched the others leave. She picked up her glass of juice and had a sip. "I couldn't fathom what was bothering him, yet I don't know him very well. As for my niece, she is stubborn, yet I believe that your son will be able to convince her to accept the proposal. There is a strength in him..." She saw it when he had challenged her already.

Rex walked with Loreena, finally holstering his new gun, an M1 Aegis Blaster Pistol. It was a simple gun, capable of burst fire and designed for personal defense. He was sure he wouldn't need it, but since they were going to be hiking in a planet he knew very little about, he assumed it was a good purchase. As far as his attire, he was wearing some more casual clothes. Nothing special.

As they approached the ship he looked it over. It looked good. Really good. He observed several weapons, and the large engines on the craft. He certainly wouldn't want to be an opponent against the ship, that was certain. Of course, he wasn't much of a space person anyways. A life of surviving in The Wilderness, without current technology, tended to make one less comfortable in space...or just flying in general.

As the two entered, Loreena called the ship her "home." This made Rex curious. She had an Estate, yet she lived in a ship most of the time? He knew what it was like, he lived in The Victory Star Destroyer in The Elysium Fleet. Of course a Star Destroyer was quite a bit larger than this ship. Loreena went on to mention that the ship could go anywhere except Eternal Empire space due to her past issues with them.

The mention of The Eternal Empire prompted a question from Rex. She had told him a little bit of her past regarding them, but he didn't know the details. "The Eternal Empire....I don't think you ever told me why you joined The Eclipse Rebellion. Were you simply seeking an adventure, or is there something more to it?"

He hoped he wasn't forgetting something she had already told him. As far as he remembered, she had told him she was the face of The Eclipse Rebellion, and she explained how they used her and thus she left them, but she hadn't told him why she joined to begin with. It seemed odd, she had wealth, and at the time a husband. Why go fight The Eternals?

-----------
Heath listened to Rowena give her predictions. She believed that Rex would be able to convince Loreena. That was good, and apparently she saw a strength in Rex. Heath saw that strength too. It was the reason he chose to make Rex his heir. The man had survived the wilderness, and he learnt everything so quickly. In politics he did well, even if he hated playing the game. Beyond that, the man had excellent instincts in all things. He seemed to know when there was trouble or when a deal was good. Heath could only wish that he had that natural talent. It was good that others saw that strength as well. It made The Elysium Empire and its' leaders look strong. Without strong leaders, an Empire could not be.

"I think you are right. Rex has a talent when it comes to negotiating."

Lori led Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun over to the lounge and took a seat. She was still full from breakfast, so there wasn't much of chance of her snacking to distract from any moment that she might get uncomfortable during their conversation.

"Well, I was there from it's creation. It all started on Bakura. I was there for personal reasons and the Eternal Empire showed up to conquer it. There were a bunch of people protesting their arrival. All of the protestors were rounded up into a square in the capital and the Eternal Empire soldiers opened fire on them. I got as many as I could to follow me and we escaped through the sewers. Some of the soldiers tried to stop us, but we managed to give them the slip. Lots of people died that day....yet I saved thirty.

Some time later, Arla caught wind of a radio signal with a message hidden within calling for me. I was being watched by those within the Eternal Empire that wanted to bring it all down. I followed the message and was recruited. There was just a few of us at first....now there are more and everything's changed. Still, it hasn't gotten my arrest warrants dropped. But the Eternal Empire's spies probably don't know what's happened yet. I haven't exactly made it public. I've just been lying low.""

Rowena chuckled a little at Heath's words. "Oh he'll probably have to negotiate her stubborness plenty of times during their marriage. She can be quite....determined." Hard-headed too, yet she was being polite in regards to speaking of ner niece.

Rex listened to Loreena's story as he took a seat across from her. He sat his bag down next to him, grabbing a bottle from it. He had forgotten that he purchased the drink. It was a light kind of Whiskey. He had bought three bottles of it, doubting he would even go through one. It'd be a nice way to lower his nerves a bit, and so he took a sip of the drink, then put it back in the bag.

Loreena told the story of how she had saved thirty people during the massacre. It was an impressive feat and no doubt luck was involved. Or maybe it was The Force. Rex didn't know how it worked but he knew those that used it often said it guided them, and there was no such thing as luck. He had never been tested to see if he had the power. Part of that was his doing. He wasn't sure if he wanted to know. Most people he had met that used The Force ended up being pacifists that could do no wrong, or prideful, hateful scumbags. He wanted to stay in control of himself.

Of course, if what they said was true, he was never in complete control...The Force was. He had been lucky many times in his life. Other times he surprised himself with his abilities...once he had held a beasts' jaws open for just long enough to evade its' sharp teeth. But those were just odd situations. He couldn't move things with his mind, or control others minds. He couldn't even create a ball of light, like Loreena said she could.

With her story concluded, Rex replied,
"You were bold to oppose them in the way you did. It's not often that a rebel group like The Eclipse Rebellion is successful. I'm not sure that I would have gone as far as you did....giving up a life of luxury for a life under constant threat. Maybe I can convince my father to direct his focus on The Eternal Empire a little more. Create a second front for them to worry about."

He knew it was unlikely to happen. Heath didn't focus on one threat. He was too afraid of being attacked by another. It was this attitude that kept The Elysium Empire from getting anywhere. Worse than his unwillingness to take risks was the fact that he was considering an official non-aggression pact with The Eternal Empire until The Bryn'adul were defeated. Rex would make sure to oppose this action.

-------
Heath grinned when Rowena said Loreena was stubborn. He had heard it before, and now he had seen it with her desire to take a week to decide. Rex was impulsive, that was an interesting pairing with someone that was stubborn. Heath could imagine Rex jumping to a conclusion and Loreena holding her ground against the decision. Other than this confliction, the two should get along well. Rex could be stubborn at times but he was also persuasive. He had a feeling the marriage would work, as long as Loreena accepted it.

"It'll work out. Just have patience."

Lori raised a brow at part of Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun 's reply. "Life of luxury? I mean, sure I've got it a lot better than most, am royalty and have more credits than I'll ever need, but I don't live like that. I don't have servants or a house or anything like that. This is my home, and so is any other ship that I decide to travel in. It's safer that way. There had been people after me since I was little, so really the Eternal Empire is no different. It hasn't really changed things for me."

And then she thought about his latter statement. Just a few years ago, she'd of been all for the Elysium Empire or anyone really, helping to fight the Eternal Empire and to become thorns in their side. But things were different now.

"The Eternal Empire has changed. They aren't as....aggressive as they were before. Maybe it's because Tacitus had disappeared, I don't know. But they've gone in a different direction as well. Sure they are still tight allies with the Sith, and that only keeps the Sith from attacking the region." She shrugged her shoulders. "At least that's my guess. There's a lot going on out there that I don't know about. Like the Bryn monsters, for example. I haven't come across them yet. I'm not sure if I would. It's not like as if they'd have reason to target my ship, afterall." Or even her. What the Bryn's goals were, she had no idea. Only hearing that they were monsters with brutal conquests similar to the Sith.

Rowena smiled and finished her tea. "I have plenty of patience. I just hope that they'll have enough patience with eachother. But I suppose this little trip of theirs will reveal that." And it had better work out.

She wiped the corners of her mouth with her hankerchief and then stood up from the table. "Shall I take you for a tour of the Estate so that you can pick out your room?"

Loreena's response surprised him. Here was someone that had joined a rebellion to take down an Empire, and she was now claiming they had changed? Rex wouldn't disagree...he didn't know enough about The Eternal Empire to take a stance based on their current posture. Instead he nodded as she said it. Then something caught his ear. She had been running since she was young, before The Eternal Empire.

He let her finish before asking anything. She didn't know much of anything about The Bryn'adul. That was a surprise, they were perhaps the largest threat outside of The Sith. Really, they were the biggest threat. The Sith blew up one planet. The Bryn crushed dozens of planets and killed everything within them. The Sith were simply more surprising in their destruction of Csilla.

"What did you run from before The Eternal Empire? I know you said the Sith destroyed your family's kingdom...did they hunt you?"

------
Heath nodded in agreement with Rowena's statements regarding Rex and Loreena's personalities. Then she offered to give him a tour so he could pick out a room. He quickly accepted, adding a joke to the end, "Certainly! I'm sure the rooms are just as impressive as the food."

"I had to run from the Sith. They lay siege to Commenor, held my Mom under house arrest even after she surrendered the planet to them. They tried to execute my Dad, but he got away. So the Sith hunted myself and my brother so that we could be used against our parents. And then came the Mando-Jedi war with my family split on both sides. I was ordered to stay out of it and so I did, moving to this region where the big wars don't invade. Instead people just fend for themselves for the most part, away from anyone's notice. It's perfect."

And then came the part that she still had yet to fully grieve from. "Both of my parents are dead now, one killed by Prazutis and the other when her shop was rigged and blew up. So I don't think that they are after us anymore...Or at least they aren't after me. My brother is some hot-shot popular Jedi like my Dad was, so he's more than likely on their radar. But I'm pretty sure that they've forgotten that I exist. And that's not a bad thing." Just as it wasn't a bad thing that the Bryn didn't know about her either.

Sometimes it was good to be invisible.

Rowena gave Heath an amused chuckle. "Right this way then, if you please." She led him through the hall and to all of the many rooms that populated the four wings of the Estate. All were styled to different tastes, some with more natural wood features, while others were stone and marble. There was the library, ballroom, kitchens, study, offices and a half dozen guest rooms with full ensuites. The only room that she neglected to show him was her own.

Rex listened as Loreena explained what the situation had been. It seemed that she was off the Sith Empire's hit list now, and The Eternal Empire had calmed down and didn't hunt her unless she entered their space. She was finally starting to get to the point where she could settle down then. However, if she went through with the marriage, she may well find herself in the line of fire once again. Rex debated warning her about this. He was conflicted. He wanted her to marry him so The Elysium Empire could be successful, but he wanted her to have a choice in the matter as well.

"It seems things are calming down for you then? You stepped away from The Eclipse Rebellion, and the Sith aren't hunting you now." He asked the question to help him judge how she felt. If she was happy things were calming down, he would warn her that she'd be a target if she married him. If she was indifferent, he would say nothing.

----
Heath followed Rowena, observing every room they passed. A few caught his eye. One had many windows, allowing a wonderful view outside and plenty of natural light and fresh air. However he was a King and a very vocal, opinionated one at that. Windows posed the risk of assassination. Another was made of stone and marble. It was a very open room, with a large bed and a bookshelf full of books. There was one window, with shades around it. He liked this room the most. Finally there was a wooden room. It was packed, an electric furnace, a large cabinet, and a small bed. He didn't dislike this one, but the stone and marble one appealed to him more.

"Your estate is very impressive. I particularly liked the room we passed a while back, with the marble floor and the single book shelf."

It was a request disguised as a compliment. He was asking for that room without saying "I want that room." A simple trick that even the most inexperienced politicians and diplomats used. He had no doubt Rowena would pick up on it....

She lightly shrugged her shoulders. "For the moment. But who knows? Anything could happen. The Sith could remember me and go after me in order to punish my brother. But I don't care because I'll be ready for them. My ball of Light, I learned that Darksiders hate it for it renders them powerless for a short while. So I can use that against them and make my escape like I've always done." As far as she could tell, it was a foolproof plan. But it was difficult to guess what tricks that the Sith had up their sleeves for she had hardly encountered them.

Already she felt the direction of Jaster's Delight change as it began it's decent. Lori got to her feet. "Well, it looks like we're here. Time to head into the wild." She left the lounge and pulled out her commlink, signaling Arla. "We'll see you in a few days. I'll contact you if there's any trouble."

~Be careful Captain.~

"I'm always careful, Arla. You know me. Bye." Lori snickered and pocketed her commlink, before grabbing her backpack and hoisting it on her shoulders, clipping the straps around her rib cage and hips. She then grabbed her bow 'The Hornet' and clipped that to the side of her pack. Her gaze turned to Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun . "From here on out, we go wherever our feet will take us. We've got plenty of daylight before we need to set up camp. Ready?"

Rowena smiled as Heath approved, finally picking out a room for himself. "Well you may use that room for yourself, if you'd like. This Estate is one of a few that we own. I find it to be rather quaint and cozy." There wasn't a lot of visitors as this was her own private residence. It was different than the ones in the larger cities or on Commenor. Still, it was the perfect setting for this visit.

She appeared indifferent. He wouldn't say anything to her about the target that she would become if she joined The Elysium Empire. Chances were she already knew. She revealed that her ball of light could render Sith useless. He found this incredibly impressive. The Sith were powerful, for them to be rendered powerless by someone who claimed to only know a little about The Force was surprising. Maybe they weren't as strong as he thought, or maybe Loreena was stronger than she thought.

They had arrived as Loreena spoke to her captain. Rex grabbed his bag, wrapping it around his back by a single strap. Loreena turned to him and asked if he was ready. He answered, "I am." He would follow her out, this was her planet, she would know it more than he, even if she claimed to have never explored it before.

---------
Heath grinned, Rowena had caught on as expected. "Thank you." He was looking forward to the stay more and more. It was an excellent vacation, even if it was a work vacation in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom