Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private All I've Ever Known

What little he knew of the Jedi was relegated to myth and legend, stories passed down through the generations, of times long ago where the Order was uniform and disciplined almost to a fault. No attachments... He was glad that wasn't the case these days, that he would not have to forsake all contact with his family. He supposed that if it had been those times, he would not have been given this opportunity anyway. Too old. He'd have been much too old.
With that in mind, he couldn't help but smile a genuinely happy smile at the mention of this elusive someone special. Jedi were treated like people, with lives and relationships of their own. Perhaps that led to some level of temptations, but he figured it was also more likely to foster commitment within the Order itself, less secrets held by those longed for such and had to keep it under wraps. Trust bred trust, and in that loyalty.
She had given him an hour. Longer if he needed, but an hour seemed fitting. It wasn't as though they didn't know what was happening, after all. They'd been preparing themselves for many days now, ever since the message was sent out to the Order, in the event that the results were as expected. He took another glance around the planetarium, hopeful that something similar existed wherever it was he ended up, and then turned toward the door which would lead them back toward the hallway.
"An hour will do," he assured her, with a nod. "Is there anything specific I ought to pack... Or anything I should avoid bringing?"
The words she'd spoken in response to his thanks seemed genuine. He hoped that her views spoke for the Order at large, that decisions could be made with careful consciousness and consideration going forward. Who knew what he was going to find on the other side, though. Part of him wished he'd done more research. There was always the journey back, though, whatever that entailed. Maybe he could bring some reading material.
Then again, she'd arrived in a starfighter. Maybe research could wait.

n0m34qi.png
Valery: Appearance
Ship: Factory link
Tag: Lief Lief
"If the Palace is anything to go by, I don't think I can fit all your stuff in my ship." Valery joked, a smirk coming through as she began to step away from the projections of planets. Even if she had brought a bigger ship though, it was uncommon for Jedi to have too many belongings, as they were traditionally against materialism. While that has changed to some extent, she still felt it was better not to bring too much along.
"In all seriousness though, pack some clothes and essentials. Anything else will get in the way, and you won't be able to keep on you." Valery then began to move back to the area where the servant had been waiting. Once she reached him, Valery stopped and turned back to face Eliphas.
"I'm going to prepare the ship for departure. When you're ready, meet me at the Landing Pad and we can say final goodbyes there before I bring you to the Prosperity."
n0m34qi.png

A smile pinned the corners of his lips as she made her response, to which he shook his head. There were countless possessions here belonging to Eliphas Dune, second born son of Oskar Dune, but they would be of little use to him out there in the greater Galaxy at large. Trinkets and baubles and general tat that had been bought for the sake of it. To spend money, to waste their wealth, as gifts from parties hoping to curry favour with their noble House. Trappings and belongings he barely looked upon, barely touched.
"I have experience with packing light," he assured her, with an inclination of his head to add to the sincerity. His time aboard The Atale had taught him such, doubly so after it's untimely demise. After that he'd had only what he could carry. The boy had learned a lot, wicked away much of his privilege to see the reality of the Galaxy underneath the opulence he'd known. It had changed him. Hopefully for the better.
"I shall meet you outside shortly." After that, the pair went their separate ways. Valery to find his Father and Eliphas toward his room. The interior of it seemed like more of a shrine these days, a treasure trove which held not just his actual belongings but items which had been presented at his empty casket funeral. To look upon them made him feel nauseous. He focused instead on gathering a few changes of clothes.
Beyond the necessary items, there was one other thing he brought into his possession. A crystal necklace attached to some natural cording, accidentally taken in the aftermath of their tangling with the Witch of Alderaan. He hadn't ever informed Starlin Rand Starlin Rand that he'd found it in his pocket later that day, he'd felt honestly guilty even when the previous owner had tried to run them both through for a bracelet. The necklace had almost cost him his life.
And he'd never given it to its intended recipient before she'd lost hers.
Perhaps he ought to have left it behind. He didn't. It settled into his pocket, and once he was satisfied with all he'd packed he turned and made his way back out. The boy paused only when he heard a sound from another room close to his own, that belonging to his sister. He felt certain he'd heard something breaking inside.
He crossed that threshold with little fanfare or warning, and found young Annalis knelt on the ground surrounded by shards of ceramic. Her eyes were red, her cheeks puffy, though when she looked toward him her expression tried to steel itself. Too late, he thought, Much too late... He knelt down before her, and silently helped with the gathering of those shards. They remained like that for a short time, picking at the smaller pieces which threatened to dig into their fingertips, silent in one another's company.
She was the first to break that silence.
"I don't want you to leave" the young girl had whispered, so quietly that he'd had to strain to hear her despite the short distance between them. "I know" he retorted. His tone was careful, though he couldn't keep the adoration from his voice. "You were supposed to come home sooner" she added. Her eyes flicked up from the ground, and she stuck him with a hard stare.
His own softened in response. "I tried to, Liss." She held him there for a moment with her puffy eyes, then got right back to gathering up the ceramic. "It was so quiet here without you. Everyone's always so... busy." His heart broke for her. Eliphas knew that loneliness all too well, it came with the territory of their position. Their birthright.
The boy didn't respond. Instead he set aside the shards he'd been holding and delicately took his sister's hand. She didn't fight him when he rose up and took her with him, leading her back out into the hallway and toward the room he'd thought he'd taken his final look at. Pushing the door open, he peered down at her.
"You can have it, if you'd like. Do with it all as you please." She didn't seem convinced, so he led her further inside. "You see that bookcase?" he inquired, with a gesture to one which was set against the wall furthest from them. Lissa nodded. "There's one red book upon it. If you're feeling lonely, pull it."
"What will happen if I do?" she asked, sadness momentarily cast aside in favour of unbridled curiosity. "There's a stairwell leading down to the servant's lounge," he explained, with a knowing smile, "At any hour of the day you'll find someone in there. Maybe Miss Nadine, or Gren. And they have boardgames, and tea on request, and they'll sit and talk if you ask them to." He reached out, turning her face toward him when she just stared at that hidden doorway. Offered her a tender smile.
"I know it's tough, little sis, but you're never really alone in this place. Besides, they're looking for that company too. Imagine their surprise when you patter on in." She hugged him close, no words necessary in that embrace, and he pressed his cheek into her curly hair. "Just... Don't tell mum or dad, okay?"
Lissa nodded in understanding. He gave it a few more moments, before pulling back. Holding her at arms length, he regarded her with a soft expression. "You haven't seen the last of me, you know?" he assured her. That brought something of a pout to her lips. "I tried to make something move," the girl confessed, "with my mind, you know, like the stories said. When we were in the room with that woman." Eliphas' eyebrows arched at that revelation, it had looked to him as though his sister had been hoping and praying for the opposite. "I wish I could come with you..."
He kissed her forehead. Deep down he was glad she couldn't. Glad that she'd remain safe here in his absence. Empress Teta was a haven. She deserved a haven. He dropped his hands from her shoulders, and simply responded with a knowing, empathetic look. "Come on... I'll help you with that vase."
When he came upon Valery once more, out there in the courtyard, it seemed as though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He appeared lighter, more contented than he had when they'd departed the planetarium. Burdened by just one backpack, flung over a shoulder, it looked as though he'd done a fine job trimming away the fat of his inheritance. The remaining farewells would be far easier than the one he'd been dreading the most.

Last edited:

n0m34qi.png
Valery: Appearance
Ship: Factory link
Tag: Lief Lief
After their talk in the planetarium, Valery made her way back to the courtyard where she met with Eliphas' father to discuss the conversation she had with his son. While she didn't go into detail about it all, she mainly wanted to assure him about the future. It was always a big thing for a family to give up one of their kids for them to become a Jedi.
But when Eliphas eventually joined them again, she smiled and looked between father and son.
"If you give me your backpack, I'll store it on-board and get the ship ready for departure." she offered, mostly because she felt they would want a little privacy to say goodbye. Preparing the fighter was as simple as powering up the engines and plotting the course back to the Prosperity.
Whether or not she was given the backpack, the woman then retreated to the ship, where most of her time was spent getting her helmet on — it was never easy with how long her hair was. Afterward, she climbed into the cockpit and powered up the engines. While they roared, she plotted their course and looked over in the direction of the courtyard again, waiting for Eliphas to finish his conversation with his dad.
To an extent, it was a relatable scene to her. Every time she went out on a mission, she left behind not just her partner, but her baby daughter as well. The difference was that she'd see them again very soon, but there was always the risk of never coming home again as well. That was the hardest part about her work.
n0m34qi.png

With a grateful tip of his head, he offered over the backpack to Valery. "I won't be long" he assured her, watching thereafter as she made her way to the starfighter to prepare for the journey ahead. Even once she was inside he continued to look that way for a moment longer.
Then he turned toward his Father.
"I'll try to do you proud," the second son stated, crossing some of the space between them as he did. A front of stoicism took over the boy in that moment, to appear as a man before the other. He saw his Father's expression crumple at the sight of it. A weight of realization washing over the Duke. Words a plenty rose within him, too many words that would be left unspoken, but in the end he offered just a smile in their place. A hand which clasped his son's shoulder.
"I'm already proud," came the man's retort, in a tone which suggested bewilderment that it had needed to be said at all. "Is that what you think, boy? That you must do this to appease me?" Whatever look Eliphas had given twisted his Father's with grief. His eyes fell behind the boy, to the starfighter whose engines were already being powered up. Perhaps he should have taken a little more time between homecoming and sending out for a Jedi to speak with his son. Perhaps he should not have been so quick to find the truth.
"Go now, and do your part for the Galaxy, my boy." A tender kiss was set atop his forehead, both hands now upon his shoulders. Held at arms length after the fact... Then pulled into a tight hug. Eliphas wrapped his arms around his Father, unable to formulate any further words of his own. Then he was bade to step back, and turn toward his future.
He approached the starship with perhaps more questions than answers. They would at least provide him with something to pass the time between here and wherever they were going. He boarded the vessel, and glanced at Jedi inside. Took up the second helmet, and sat in the seat which was back to back with her own. No words were really necessary, though if she chose to speak them he'd obviously respond. One last glance was given to his ancestral home, he'd watch it when they left and it shrunk into nothingness beyond the viewing port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom