Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Alirason

Mizar Mossbrow

M
Three Decades Ago
Midvinter, the Isle of Beorni
What is in a name?
As she peered down over the trio of newly orphaned cubs, Mizar could not help but ponder on that exact question. Their mother, the late Alira, had not the strength with which to name them, and though she'd remained to nurse them for several weak days she'd soon succumbed to nature's cycle. There were plenty within their sleuth to see the babes fed once Alira's light faded, yet though she could not provide them with such sustenance, having no offspring of her own, Mizar Mossbrow found herself stepping up to oversee their care in every other sense.
Two boys, one stronger than the other, and a girl. The latter she immediately dubbed Lira, in honour of she who had given her life to birth them, but the other two? The boys?
"Sweet sons" she softly sang, as she lifted the fussing weaker brother from his cushioned perch and cradled him on her right arm, "All will be well, of this I swear to you." Her left hand moved, one slender claw gently stroking down the runts nose which twitched in response. None of the triplets had yet opened their eyes, they had never looked upon their true mother only scented her, and for that Mizar felt most sorrowful.
Reaching down, she slipped the other boy into her arm, settling him down alongside his brother, then sat down to cradle young Lira on her left. Three bouncing baby bears, all nestled softly against her fur. She lowered her snout down, laying tender kisses upon each of their foreheads, then hummed a fresh lullaby as she once more fell into deep consideration. How to honour their mother in their names, how to see her legacy live on in her absence.
Mizar did not know, and in not knowing she felt most troubled. So she rose again, this time keeping the bundles held within her arms, and began to trudge her way from their den in search of someone much wiser than she, someone who might have insights and answers she could not quite form for herself.

His fur reeking of sea salt, a frustrated Arnor threw down his fishing spear after a lengthy fishing venture. "I need not your admonishments," he turned to face the Elder standing on his threshold. "Our people starve, so I feed them." The Elder, back crooked and fur shaggy from many centuries of hardship, raised a trembling finger. "That is fine and well, Young Arnor, so long as you do not disturb nature's balance. Seven kills this past year, now. How will you make amends with the Spirits, hmm?"

The great white bear strode past the Elder to unpack the rest of his things. "Out of my way, old man. I care not for spirits when our people are left in such misery." Retrieving a bag to bring inside his tent, he was stopped by the Elder's wooden staff blocking his path. "Arnor Oathsworn," he spoke with more vigour than before. "You are brave, protective, headstrong, and eager. No one doubts your devotion to our plight for a second. But we are beholden to the will of the Spirits, as are all things. Trust in them, and all will be well."

The Elder placed his hand upon Arnor's heart, nodded sagely, and then turned to waddle back to whence he came.

Arnor was no fool; he knew the wisdom the Elders spoke well, but when one is forced to witness yet another newborn cub succumb to starvation, there is only so much inner peace meditation can provide. He wanted more for his people. He needed to save them. That was his oath, sworn on the day of his parents' passing. One day, he would keep his oath.

Watching the Elder stagger away, he let out an audible sigh before turning to clean his fishing spear of whale guts. As he did so, he noticed Mizar Mossbrow approach with three small cubs resting in her arms. The fact that Alira was not with her was troubling. He knew of her frail state prior to heading out but had missed what must have been a difficult labour.

"Mizar," he greeted her even as he finished cleaning his spear. There was worry evident in his voice. "Alira...?"

Mizar Mossbrow

M
Mizar watched as the Elder retreated from the tent of one Arnor Oathbound, a great white bear many years her senior and yet still largely regarded as spirited and young himself by those who had seen centuries on this chilly island. She could see the concern plastered across his expression as she neared with the cubs swaddled against her fur, even before he spoke the name of their fallen kin into existence.
Her head bowed softly, her own sorrow palpable across her brow.
"Alira was strong" Mizar stated softly, keeping her eyes down, "Lasted three days before nature took its toll." Three agonizing days, she knew, dear sweet Alira had held for as long as she could, fought to give her cubs a strong start in life.
Tilting her arms slightly, she revealed to him more readily the dark furred cubs, more black than brown. "Three strong cubs" she said, head rising as pride swelled within her to mix with the grief that refused to abate. In truth, she didn't want it to leave her. Let it propel her on, ensure that she did all that she could for the babes she now carried.
"Lira," she proclaimed, extending her left arm forward to show him the girl cub, then her sad eyes fell upon the boys. "I know not how to honour her in her sons" Mizar frowned, heart heavy, "How can I ever possibly stand in her shadow?"

Upon hearing of Alira's passing, his snout dipped in sorrow. Amber eyes fell upon the trio of cubs, innocent and pure. Strong. Healthy. "I should have been here. I could have lingered for a few more days." He didn't know much about childbirth or the art of medicine, not like Mizar, but he would've done anything to help.

Gently he plucked one of the napping babes, the one she'd named after the late mother, from her bosom, fitting him in the palm of his enormous hand. Arnor looked to Mizar. "You did everything you could to make her comfortable, and look - three beautiful cubs to show for it. We could have lost them all if it weren't for you."

The next generation of Beorni, in the palm of his hand. His gaze lifted towards their surroundings, towards the countless tents and dwellings littering every inch of this blasted island. There were already too many to fit, too many mouths to feed. Holding this little one only strengthened his resolve to end their dishonourable exile once and for all.

"Come inside," he offered her, pulling aside the flap for her to enter his spartan abode. In the distance, the Elder met his determined gaze. Arnor scowled at him, then joined Mizar, closing the flap after him.

Inside he lit some old wax candles for illumination and scrounged up a dusty old sheepskin for her to sit on. At least it was better than the bare rock. He sat down opposite her, producing a jug of purified water. Distilling seawater was a slow and tedious process, but a crucial one nonetheless.

"Here, take it. If not for yourself, then save it for the young."

Arnor looked over the slumbering girl in his arm once more before handing her back to Mizar.

"Cubs do not discriminate. They will see you as their one and only mother. You will honour Alira's sacrifice by accepting them as your own. The boys are yours to name as you please."

Mizar Mossbrow

Mizar Mossbrow

M
Arnor's grief was palpable, shining through in his words as he spoke of regret. Mizar shook her head softly in response. "A birthing tent should not be filled with Beorni," she reminded him, "Too many souls, however well meaning, can muddy the process. No, beloved Arnor, you did instead as the Spirits willed, and look, you brought back food for our long hungering mouths. We each have our roles to play, and you have done yours so diligently."
Just as she sought to reassure him, did he turn the same back on her. Three babes to carry on the legacy of their people, though the loss of even one in their mother was still a great toll. Alira was with the Spirits now, back in mother nature's bosom, she could not spend the rest of forever lamenting, not if she was to raise the cubs to be strong and willful themselves.
Lira was plucked from her arm, and Mizar smiled to see her cradled in the gentle snow white grasp of the Oathsworn. It never failed to amaze her, just how well their community came together in such moments, of celebration and grief, willing and able to do what was best for the greater sleuth. Children were best raised by a village, after all, and the trio she'd helped to bring into this world had quite the large one at their backs. Too large, perhaps, for the lands and resources available to them.
She could see that such weighed heavily upon her friend also.
Mizar slipped into the tent once encouraged to do so, and found that the chill breeze was cut off rather immediately. Small, quaint dwellings, as was known to all of them, yet welcoming in its own way. With the skin laid out she settled down, and adjusted the two cubs she still carried so that their slumber could yield more comforting results.
"Have you enough for yourself in giving us this?" Mizar questioned, when the purified water was offered; she took it of course, she did not wish to be rude and it was most definitely in the best interest of the cubs to have a little extra now, but she worried for him all the same. "I shall give time to the distillers to make up for it, dear Arnor."
With the girl laid back within the crook of her left arm, Mizar found herself blessed with the wisdom she had come here seeking. The Spirits were kind, and Arnor's words kinder. Could it be so? Would raising them as her own be the best way to honour Alira? It was well known by now that Mizar was barren, there would never be children borne of her blood on these isles or elsewhere, and yet here a trio lay, babes offered to her through tragedy but babes none the less.
"I will cherish them" she whispered, reverently, "And they will know of Alira's sacrifice." Storytelling was a vastly important aspect of their culture, after all, and it would be wrong of her to leave that tale unuttered. "Could it truly be? Three cubs for one long deemed unfruitful?" She could feel the tears prickling, descending down through her thick brown fur, and once more she dipped her head low to present each of them with a tender kiss.
"Kodu," she said all at once, as her snout hovered above the stronger boy, warm breath tickling his fur, "And little Hune..." Names which had come to her as though whispered on the wind, they felt immediately right and her heart leapt to have such settled.
"They will need more than just I alone can provide, Arnor, there will come a time when they too must hunt and fish, might... Might we look to you when that time comes?"

Arnor nodded, approving of the names she chose for the two boys. "Kodu, Lira, and Hune. May their futures burn brighter than the stars."

As Mizar shed tears, he moved over to sit by her side, putting his arm around her to provide comfort. Her realisation that she could never bear children herself had hung like a thick cloud over her since she found out, but to her great credit, it did nothing to hinder her work as a midwife. In fact, it may have only furthered her passion.

As for himself, Arnor had never devoted a thought to finding a mate and settling down. His sole purpose, as he saw it, was to secure a future for the Beorni. Only then, perhaps, would he achieve the peace of mind to settle down.

"For you, I will do all that I can for them. Whatever you ask."

While all Beorni were considered family, Mizar was one of the few among them whom he would call his friend.

"We should cohabitate," he then added rather bluntly. Still, a hint of sentimentality could be gleamed from his suggestion. "To better aid in your plight of raising the cubs, I mean." Didn't make much sense having her walk all this way each time she had need of him.

Mizar Mossbrow

Mizar Mossbrow

M
Hearing the cubs names uttered together, and by a voice not her own, further solidified her decision. Good, strong names, for good, strong Beorni. With Arnor soon at her side, an arm around her, she settled her head down to his shoulder and tried to once more compose herself.
"You are most kind," she retorted when he assured her that he would be there for them too, "They will be lucky to have your guidance, friend."
As for what came next, Mizar's head lifted slightly in surprise. Cohabitate, for the sake of the cubs? It did make sense, didn't it? If they were to raise the orphans together, then why complicate matters by trudging through the snow between tents?
"It would free up a little more space on the island" she mused, knowing well that even one more tents worth of space would go a very long way toward helping the plight of their people, "You would not mind having more to share this space with? They'll be rambunctious little scamps in no time, I'm certain."
Peering down over the three sleeping babes, Mizar felt her heart and mind strengthen with resolve. She could do this; they could do this.

"I would not," came his simple response. He ran a clawed finger along the cheek of little Kodu, who surprised him by instinctively wrapping his tiny furry hand around it. All at once his stoicism melted away as a warm, comfy sensation spread throughout his being.

"I have been alone since the loss of my parents," he found himself confessing. "I've never felt the desire to look to others for companionship, but... if I'm to be lonely, I'd rather be lonely with you... and your children."

Already he found himself feeling protective of these three tiny souls, whose lives had only just begun. They had their entire future ahead of them, yet were destined like all others of their kind to live out their lives on this barren rock. This island had no future; the future was out there.

"I already took an oath on my father's deathbed, but now I swear the same to you: These cubs will see our splendour restored. They will walk streets of stone and marvel at the architecture of our ancestors. They will never know starvation or despair, and they will have the freedom to choose what to become in life."

He would sit with Mizar for the next hour, huddled together with his newfound family, his resolve greater than ever.

Mizar Mossbrow

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom