Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aeternum I: Prelude to Foundation | Invite

skin, bone, and arrogance
dpsHQUR.png
As the cabinet meeting broke up, Natasi stood by her chair and gathered her effects, raising her eyes to watch the other cabinet ministers filing out. She took a breath and steadied herself before raising a hand to flag down [member="Dante Calgar"]. "Minister Calgar, would you hang back a few minutes? Don't worry, Temple, I'll send him along when I'm finished." She picked up her portfolio and went to the door, waiting for Camille Temple, who had been trying to talk to Calgar, to leave so that she could close it. Natasi looked around for a moment, as if considering her options, then cleared her throat and cocked her head towards the doors on the opposite end of the room.

"Shall we go to my study?" she asked. Natasi was never sure if Number 10 was bugged or not, but she was reasonably confident about the integrity of her private study because only she had access to the room's biolocks. She crossed the room with the Minister of Security and opened the double doors that led into Natasi's suite of offices. Aides busied themselves, merrily administering the affairs of state and pausing in respectful silence when the Grand Moff and her minister walked through. Natasi collected two bottles of water from a small fridge on her way through and into the study. With her free hand, she pressed her palm to the biolocks, then pushed the door open and shut and locked it behind them.

Behind the high-tech anti-espionage measures built into the wall, Natasi's study was as traditional as the woman herself. The hardwood floors were polished to a shine, and a plush oriental carpet in hues of emerald and gold sprawled across the planks. The color of the rug was tied into the rest of the decor, from the green marble in the fireplace opposite Natasi's desk to the damask stripe of the wallpaper. Built-in bookshelves of the finest mahogany matched the intricately-carved desk, free of any hint of modernism, save for a communicator that had been cleverly disguised as an old-fashioned Galadraani telephone in an emerald hue. She didn't even have a computer.

A pair of Chesterfield armchairs faced the fire, cantered slightly towards one another, and this was where Natasi waved Calgar. "Have a seat, please," she said, before setting the water bottles down on the table between the two Chesterfields before crossing to her desk to set her portfolio down. "What are your thoughts on this new doctrine?" Natasi asked as she went back to the chair and sat opposite him. She crossed her ankles in a proper duchess slant and unscrewed the top of her water bottle. She fixed her cabinet colleague with curious and interested dark eyes, leaning on one elbow as she assessed him.

Progflaw99

Dante paused mid stride, attention turning to the familiar voice of Natasi Fortan. "Minister Calgar, would you hang back a few minutes?" A silent nod was aimed in response as he suppressed a smirk at her quick quip towards Camille Temple. Dante Calgar had clawed his way up the chain, long nights and uncomfortable conversations driving him further upward and eventually into the Grand Moff's good graces. At least, that's how it appeared. Appointed Minister of Security by Sieger Ren himself, the bond had taken time to grow between he and the Grand Moff. Perhaps she had viewed him as a threat, an indication of the Supreme Leader's doubt in her ability to get the job done - and maybe it was. At first. Now the two worked in tandem, often able to anticipate each other's moves. This time however, had he not been such a proficient actor, might have stared blankly at the woman. Nine times out of ten a memo would have sufficed, but an invitation to stay behind. *What is she cooking up now?* he wondered.

"After you, your excellency." He motioned towards the door. Staying close on her heels, Dante scanned their surroundings as they passed through. Familiar faces greeted him with every desk they passed, though not by acquaintance. The minister had gone through each and every one of their personnel files at one point or another - when it had seemed as if the two would be enemies rather than cohorts. Today was a different day however, as they entered the Grand Moff's Study he veiled a curious expression. The design was rather... antiquated. Not that there was anything wrong with that but it spoke to Natasi's nostalgia, or perhaps a touch of Galidraan of her youth. The pair of chairs settled before an active fireplace sold the facade, had Dante ever been to Galidraan he might have thought they'd been transported across the galaxy in a matter of seconds. "Certainly." he replied in the affirmative, softly stepping across the wooden floor towards one of the chairs.

The leather was comfortable, no doubt of the finest quality. For a moment Calgar felt incomplete without a smoking jacket and a cigar in hand but the thought was brushed aside as the Moff inquired as to his thoughts. The question she posed was a difficult one, one he'd understood very little of if truth was to be told - and yet, he hadn't been paid to have an opinion, merely to carry out the duties of his station forcefully and effectively. He had done so to date. To be questioned by the Grand Moff of all people sent a twinge of suspicion down his spine. "That, your excellency, is a complex question. Are you sure you wanna hear the answer?" For a split second the posh Imperial accent disappeared, hinting at an Outer Rim drawl. By far it wasn't the first time Dante had been genuine with the Grand Moff but perhaps the first time he'd begun to truly let down his guard. As a man of his nature it was almost a shock, even to him. He took a breath before resting into the back of the chair, crossing his legs. Looking towards the Grand Moff, he made a subtle motion with his hand, silently questioning the security of the room. Eyes traced along the ceiling, finger pointing at his ear as he did so. If there were bugs in here, they weren't the Security Bureau's. Dante had a brass streak but even he wasn't bold enough to cross that line.

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Natasi watched as the Minister surveyed her study. From his motion, Natasi gathered that he was not familiar with any office-bugging schemes, so they were safe from Security Bureau bugs. And neither the Galactic Alliance nor the Mandalorians nor any other power in the galaxy had yet deployed an intelligence operative that could sneak into Number 10. She waved a hand dismissively, then took a sip of her water to quench her parched throat. His question brought a mischievous glint to her eye, and she suppressed a nervous frisson of laughter. "Actually, at this moment, no. I don't want to hear the answer. We'll have plenty of time for that."

She stood and paced away from the set of chairs, knitting her fingers together at her trim midsection anxiously. "There's something else I want to talk to you about."

Natasi paused, turned on her heel, and stood, hand on hip and heel twisting on the carpet. "I have an idea. It's... unconventional. If you can believe that of me," said the Grand Moff, making a palms-up gesture at the extremely conventional study. "And it's absolutely confidential. This isn't a power play, Dante, it's essential to the operation of the thing." This was, perhaps, the first time Natasi had ever addressed Calgar by his first name. It was a measure of the seriousness of her proposal.

"I want to talk to you about this, but I need a commitment from you first," said Natasi, moving closer. She stood over him, looking down at him intently. "Your absolute discretion from everyone -- your staff, your cabinet colleagues. Even, at this stage, the Supreme Leader. Not because what I propose is counter to his interests or illegal, but because of the observer effect. We must limit this to the minimal number of people -- and the right ones -- or it won't work."

[member="Dante Calgar"]​

Progflaw99

His curiosity was piqued. Despite their close working relationship it wasn't often their conversations had such a hushed demeanor about them. As he listened he could feel his heartbeat ticking up. There may not have been listening devices of his in the Office of the Grand Moff but what of Sieger? The man's mysticism had more than once caught the Moff by surprise. Whether it was foresight or the Supreme Leader's uncanny ability to sway the masses despite his absence from the public eye, Minister Calgar put nothing outside the realm of possibility where Sieger was involved. It was Sieger in fact who had put him in this office, an appointment. Another indication that this conversation the two present were about to have was something dangerous, the use of his first name. Though the two worked closely, neither had dared to breach the rigid constructs of professionalism. At least, not truly. It was 'Your Excellency' this, 'Moff Calgar' that. His attention was drawn.

A man of near persistent suspicion, it took Dante a moment to flip through all the possibilities as to why it was he who had appeared to garner the Grand Moff's trust. Upon his conclusion there were only a handful of reasons why she might have. None as ominous as his latent paranoia might suggest. It was thus with a silent nod he shifted in his seat. Almost hedged in as he was the Grand Moff now stood above him. Dante met her gaze, eyes searching for any clue, any hint as to what her motivations were. Often it was in the eyes that gave away any subterfuge, a dilation of the pupils, the subtle twitch of the eye. As he pondered the deep coffee hue of her eyes he saw no deception - and in that moment he knew she spoke the truth. "You have my word." Relaxing, Dante crossed his legs in front of him as he rest his fingertips against each other. "So, Ms. Fortan. What is this idea of yours?"

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Natasi stared at Calgar for a few moments more before inclining her head and moving to sit back in her seat. She was making a conscious decision now to trust him. While nothing she was about to propose was, in and of itself, disloyal or treasonous, the secrecy involved was bound to make it look suspect. The woman knitted her fingers together astride her knee and considered her words for a few moments. When she spoke, her voice was low but firm. "There has been a -- " she unlinked her fingers, lifting one hand and twisting it side to side, illustrating that there wasn't a simple way of describing her thoughts. " -- shift. Some fundamental change in the culture of our country. It's to be expected when our empire has grown to the extent that it has, at the speed that it has. But I fear that what we're facing may be more dire than growing pains. Corruption has begun to creep in at the edges... the Ren, special interests, foreign entanglements. It's a mess, Dante."

After a pause, she said: "But I believe there is a solution."

She stood; it was as if the idea was too big, too energizing to be contained in her seated form. The Grand Moff paced in front of the fireplace. "If we can gather up the essence of the First Order -- of what it should be, what we originally intended it to be, I believe we can preserve what the First Order was meant to be. Think of it as part think tank -- to develop solutions to our challenges; part failsafe -- to create a kernel of the First Order, a seed to be planted and nurtured should the worst happen; and part continuity of government -- to ensure that whatever comes, from within or without our empire, we maintain a government that upholds the principles that made us great to begin with."

Natasi paused, looking at the carriage clock on her mantlepiece. She glanced at her wristwatch, then opened the front panel of the mantle clock and made a slight adjustment. "I propose that this take place on behalf of the Supreme Leader but independent of his influence, unless and until we can be sure that the Knights of Ren do not pose a threat to our plans. They have proven themselves irresponsible and self-serving, and though I believe reform is at hand, I cannot stress how critical it is that this project begins and remains ideologically pure. We'll have one chance -- no more." Natasi shut the panel on the clock and turned back to [member="Dante Calgar"]. "Will you help me?"

Progflaw99

Dante listened intently. Meeting after meeting the Minister had set eyes on the Grand Moff, listening, processing, and yet today he saw her in a different light. Not that of the impenetrable face of the Empire but as a leader, distraught at what had befallen their nation - and what dangers lie beyond. It was a side of the woman he wasn't used to seeing. To her credit, it further defined the genuine interest she had in the success of the Order. Dante hadn't always been so convinced. As Natasi made to rise Dante let his fingers cross, closing loosely in a grip as he remained seated. Almost pacing she stood in front of the fireplace, licking flames accentuating her animated posture.

Words continuing she had slipped into an almost automated state, absentmindedly adjusting a small clock on the mantle. Another subtle human interaction that on its surface might not have meant anything but Dante knew better. Behind the now cracked door of Natasi's mind, Moff Calgar glimpsed a sliver of anxiety - pent up behind a wall of buzzwords. Things like duty. Responsibility. Obligation. All were equally relevant to the situation at hand but in a way, she had bared all if even but for a moment. It was a particularly enlightening experience, Dante's usual 'point vs counterpoint' thought process halting. "We'll have one chance -- no more. Will you help me?"

In the space of a millisecond hundreds of responses, their consequences, and options coursed through the Minister's mind. As the moment came to a close he too rose to standing, eyes reflecting an unexpected warmth as color erased the pallor upon his cheeks. "Ms. Fortan.." he paused. "You have an ally in me." The gentle flickering of the fireplace and the flutter of it's flame produced an almost ominous overture as his words hung in the air. An extended hand slowly offered itself to the Grand Moff as Dante met her eye once more. "We have our work cut out for us. As for the rest.." he nodded towards whence they'd come. "..Who else is to be trusted?"

[member="Natasi Fortan"]

Natasi's breath caught for a moment as she considered whether he would accept or reject her proposal. It would be the perfect time for him to seek the upper hand; in truth, she was exposing herself to rather a lot of risk by laying it out bare like this. But the truth was that Natasi was reaching the end of her rope with the First Order. Without doing something drastic -- something big -- she had little faith that the First Order would survive in any recognizable sense. It would linger, certainly, but it would be in a shambolic state, the shuffling gait of a zombie.

Natasi could have kissed him when he agreed.

"That's the question, isn't it?" asked Natasi thoughtfully. She turned back to her cabinet colleague. "There will be plenty of roles to fill, plenty of expertise required. The problem will be to approach the right people and phrase it to them in the right way. Any one person talking -- any one person doubting -- could destroy everything." Natasi sat on the edge of her chair and crossed her legs, knitting her fingers together anxiously around her knee.

"Perhaps we can pull some personnel files of potential candidates and review them to put together a list," Natasi suggested.

[member="Dante Calgar"]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom