Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aegis Of My Dreams

[member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Lucien Cordel"] [member="Gerion Ardik"] [member="Katrina Garnier"] [member="Ultimatum"]

After the Admiral had concluded the first meeting with his investors and researchers for his new projects, he split them into two groups.
Directing one group into a separate room, physical delegates, proxies and holograms alike, he found himself before a smaller body.

“Thank you for agreeing to assist me here. The Aegis Molecular Shield should be a considerable step forward in shield design for warships. There are, however, some considerable issues we need to overcome in order to reach my goal however.”

“I have acquired old schematics and information on the usage of molecular shields in the Galactic Empire, but it was never for something this big. Whilst some of my colleagues have designed a similar item for a large station, the systems are different enough to require a redesign.”

“Therefore, with this in mind, I would like to allocate Ultimatum to a consideration of the technical specifications with some of my top scientists. Picking apart the issues and challenges with the old schematics should be of considerable use.”

“Master Raaf, I could use your assistance with the physical design. Interfacing the molecular shielding with particle and ray-shielding will be a challenge, and I hope that you will be able to help my people find a solution. If Master Garnier wishes to help you, I think she could assist us here too.”

“Ms Shim, Mr Ardik, I understand your connections allow you to procure manufacturing facilities and test ships. I will require several ships of between 300 and 600 metres to act as prototypes. These ships will be outfitted with the shields and tested…rather violently!”

(The plan for this thread is to have 2-3 posts each getting the required doodads, then bring everyone together for a demonstration after a time skip. If I can get 15-20 posts I will consider this a success. Don’t get any more technical than you want, just keep it vague where needed.)

Shim turned to the other Investor, [member="Gerion Ardik"] ,who had been drawn to this little project "A Pleasure Mr. Ardik" She would have offered a hand to shake but given that he wasn't Physically present that seemed a touch redundant. He seemed to be a stern man and notably prickly. She was therefore reluctant to engage is extended conversation with him "Do you wish to split these tasks down the middle , with you gathering manufacturing space and me gathering test ships, or do you prefer we both just work as individuals and bring both to the table separately?" She thought it best to leave the choice up to him it seemed far safer that way.

As for sources for the necessary tools and facilities, shim had a few ideas. Lucien had links with a few breaking yards and shim was confident some of the ships there would be in working order if not a touch outdated. As for manufacturing space that might be more difficult Lucien didn't hold any stakes in large scale manufactures but there might be some independent workshops which could introduce something to the process, that would require some degree of investigation. Whilst she was engaged finishing up here Head office could be handling preliminary investigation, that way she could get straight on with things.

[member="Lucien Cordel"] | [member="Friedrich Stahlmann"]

Manufacturing facilities and test ships. Fair enough. Gerion was but a humble businessman, so he hardly expected to be privy to the interesting technical details from the get-go. Contributing to the war efforts of the Silver Sanctum Coalition was its own reward... Ish. So long as they weren't used to raze the Tion Cluster to the ground, the outcome was fine with Gerion regardless. Miss Shim would be his colleague for this little project, and her suggestion to split the work among themselves sounded just dandy to this Umbaran.

"Splitting these tasks will be more prudent." He agreed, deciding he could do little to assist Shim since he wasn't there in person. "I will find a suitable world for manufacturing."

Gerion had a wide range of contacts among the Tionese worlds, including industrialists who would be happy to loan their factories to manufacture prototype shield generators. Being the primary organizer of the Tionese Whiteguard often enabled these sort of connections. Really, all Gerion had to do was drop a few phrases like "for the prestige of Tion" and "I'm sure this will reflect greatly on your status among the nobility." Then they'd be clamoring all over themselves to be the host factory.

Capitalism was such a wonderful thing when mixed with the landed elite and xenophobia.

"I'll alert you to the results shortly. Do let me know when you've procured the ships, please."

[member="Friedrich Stahlmann"] [member="Katrina Garnier"]

Well, it was always good to get down into the nitty-gritty of a device, work on its design to be more efficient. Looking over the old technical aspects used by the Galactic Empire, she settled herself into the lab and began reading. It was a truly impressive piece of technology, convert your enemy's attacks into a power source for your own weapons and laugh at them as their attacks did nothing against your shield for long periods of time. Physical attacks would still get through, but that was where it needed incorporated with other conventional shielding.

"Hmm how to do this, how to do this," she mumbled, scientists and technicians bustling around her. She didn't see Miss Garnier here right now, but maybe she would arrive shortly. Taeli was a bit enthusiastic when it came to work, so she may have started a bit early. The best part about the molecular shielding was it wasn't something like a thermal shield, it was sort of an outgrowth of a conventional ray shield than anything else.

While the others focused on where they might develop this thing in higher quantities, she set about grappling the problem of integration. Pulling up a holographic design program on her datapad, she observed the older device even more closely, blowing it apart to look at individual components and comparing it to what a normal shield generator needed.

Ultimatum listened quietly until the others had spoken. He then replied, "That sounds good. Where shall I meet them?" He had some theories on how to expand the shields, aside from simply expanding the generator or something akin to that. He had always believed in refining something rather than making it bigger. History had shown that with newer technology it was often made bigger and then later refined to have the same effect but at a smaller size. Ultimatum wanted to skip that first step, it was just too costly and time consuming.

He had already had some ideas, for starts he had to figure out a way to power the blasted thing. After all, even though it was made to power that which supported it the shield needed some sort of ignition and running power generator until it had a way of being self-sufficient, which required enemy fire. That was not too big an issue, as ship's generators tended to be pretty large and often had more than enough power to run a molecular shield until it got enough shots being fired into it to use itself.

It was a matter of making the shield more efficient while not lowering it power conversion capacity. There was a balance and Ultimatum could run simulated tests in his head all day, but he needed to work real concepts in the physical world to be able to tell if they worked or not. That was the greatest problem with these sort of endeavors. It was easy to get them down theoretically or in the abstract, but the real world seemed intent on being much more problematic and complicating. It was the most infuriating part, but also the most stimulating. After all, he had theories that he had made, but they too required a real world experiment to see if they worked. It was just a fact, as sure as gravity.

[member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Gerion Ardik"] [member="Lucien Cordel"] [member="Friedrich Stahlmann"]

[member="Lucien Cordel"] [member="Gerion Ardik"]

“Thank you both. Do inform me when you are prepared and we can begin the testing.”

[member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Katrina Garnier"]

The Jedi Master meanwhile was given access to the full range of labs and production areas above Dac.
A Rodian researcher came to join her with some small scale mockup models of the larger design.
“We have been working on a means to allow both the molecular and the regular shielding to operate at once. Have you found any ideas thus far?”

[member="Ultimatum"]
Meanwhile a stern looking female human came to collect the droid and lead him down to a more mechanical research area.
“The first area we have been looking into is a way to create a bi-directional power flow which absorbs energy and can use it, but not too much. After all, we don’t want the reactor to be overloaded by the increased surge of power.”

Ultimatum followed the irksome looking organic and listened as she spoke. That was an important component, one that would require a very sophisticated system. It would have to somehow dispel the excess energy, without allowing it to simply go through the shield. The easiest... no simplest method would to transform the energy into a different form, heat would be easy if it were in an atmosphere, but that wouldn't work in space. Heat was transmitted via the movement of molecules and atoms, space had so few of these that heat transfer was a very difficult and complex problem. Ultimatum wasn't well versed in that area of expertise, but he could always learn on the job, after all the HoloNet was a well of information that he could dip into at any time.

Perhaps light. That would require a number of systems. Though... he had an idea. "What have you gotten so far?"

[member="Friedrich Stahlmann"]

[member="Lucien Cordel"] | [member="Friedrich Stahlmann"]

CHANDAAR
AMBARIL

Among the rest of Tion's nobility, Cronese were something of a farce. Possibly because their throneworld of Chandaar lacked for prestige. Even during the ancient era of the Galactic Empire it had been become a polluted urban world. These days it was much less polluted, ostensibly because of a dozen or so galactic crises that broke out and drastically reduced planetary populations. But like the rest of the galaxy they were making bounds towards recovering. Some Cronese nobility fancied this an opportunity for a fresh start. An opportunity for them to reclaim that old title of "the Jewel of Tion." Gerion did not find that very likely since most of the Tionese corporate power-players preferred to build their towering headquarters on Lianna, but entertaining their ill-placed hope made it easier to secure factories for Project Aegis.

Gerion accompanied Lord Flavius Ironlocke to an abandoned factory he owned in Ambaril's industrial sector. Ironlocke's holdings made a tidy profit selling shield generators way back during the Clone Wars. Since then they had mostly sold locally to the cluster, some facilities were shut down due to low demand, but not sold off. Ironlocke imagined one day he'd be able to strike big with a major contract, so he kept the facility around just in case. How very lucky for him the Silver Sanctum Coalition were in town.

"We're very pleased you came to us with this, Baron Ardik." Ironlocke said, typing some code into the security panel next to the heavy blast doors that made up the factory's entrance. "My family has been manufacturing shield generators for generations, you know. I always wanted to experiment with Moleculars, but could never get my hands on the blueprints."

Probably because you are inept, Gerion would have liked to point out. "Yes, well, the Sanctum have a prototype they would like to produced and tested. Your track record is exemplary. It was a logical choice."

The blast doors rumbled open. One by one, the factory's heavy industrial lights flicked on, revealing towering machinery and stacks of crates. A thick layer of dust clung to everything, cobwebs the sort Gerion could scarcely conjure in his nightmares hung from some surfaces. Despite being rather dirty, Ironlocke assured him the machinery was more than functional. If not, diagnostics would be run and repairs would be made. Gerion would cover those charges, since he was such a kind, generous man. Or maybe he just wanted this done quickly and didn't want to wait around for Ironlocke to make the necessary payments.

"How long until this facility is ready?"

"One, maybe two days." Ironlocke quickly said, then continued when he noticed Gerion raising an eyebrow. "I'm having the cleaning droids come tonight. Early morning I'll have the technicians prep everything, then we'll run some simulations to make sure everything's working. I made this top priority."

"Very good. I'll let them know when you'll be ready for them. And make sure to back-up whatever they send you. It would be a shame if something were lost due to an electric failure."

Within a few short hours, both Cordel and Stahlmann would be appraised of Gerion's progress in securing a facility for their use and the time-frame it would be made available to them.

The City Of Wings
Skye

Scrap was never a particularly glamorous business. Nor by the same token was it usually very profitable, the process of melting ships down was a costly one and unless you funneled out every impurity the reformed metal was usually highly undesirable to the big production companies who were the only really lucrative, regular custom that a single scrap dealer could hope for. Therefore a lot of small time scrap dealers still dreaming of a lavish lifestyle came to borrow. so that they may evolve their process and net the big tickets some of them succeeded Many did not. There were a great many scrap yard signs in the scrap yards.

One of those who had 'made it' as it were was Karies Argosh. A female of the s'kytri people whom lucien had helped no end during his stint as governor of the planet. She had with his help grown wealthy and now the time had come to pay the piper, an agreement made years ago. He would be at leave to come to Karies 3 times, to match the three times she came before him, and she would be incapable of defying him . Lucien had come to see her personally. The S'kytri were a wise and noble species but they were also stubborn and lucien didn't trust that she would give him her best unless he went personally.

"A Debt Is owed" Lucien remarked in broken Skytric as he entered the wing creatures office . She looked up to meet his eyes.

"A debt will be paid" she replied "What do you need ?" She added.

"I need ships, at least 4 ranging between 300 and 600 meters" Lucien replied moving into the office proper. "They need to be maneuverable and in fairly good condition, can this be done?" He asked receiving a curt nod in reply. Karies had a deal with Skye's national defence to scrap their decommissioned ships for them. This proved to be good for lucien and by extension the Silver sanctum.

"Follow me, I've just taken a number of ships from the navy I will have some that meet your requirements" She lead the way to her breaking yard and walked him through the various ex ships of the line. A few were appropriate. He made it known which ships he wanted, by this time [member="Gerion Ardik"] had sent over details of the premises he had arranged, Lucien transferred the details over the details to Karies "Have them sent there in two days ... don't fail me.

Shim had been busy doing much the same and combined they had procured 7 ships of varying sizes.

[member="Ultimatum"] [member="Gerion Ardik"] [member="Lucien Cordel"] [member="Taeli Raaf"]

The Admiral received the news of Lucien and Gerion’s work and was pleased. Everything was coming together.
He sent a reply asking them to be present in a week’s time at an uninhabited system where the test would take place.

Meanwhile for Ultimatum the researcher laid out her notes. Their plan was quite simple, but perhaps overly so. In basic terms they were operating on the assumption that the power would flow in essence like water. Damage to the shields would be adding water to the system, making it stronger, but too much would require a safety valve.
“We have not been able to find a way to safely vent the power yet,” the scientist said. “Do you have any suggestions?”

Taeli continued to look over the designs in front of her, her eyes narrowed in concentration. Integrating the system ... hmm a conundrum it was but perhaps ... yes and idea started to form in her head. Shields worked by deploying different layers to provide different protection, with ray and particle shields working in a dual layer system to provide a vessel protection from energy and physical attacks.

A triple layer system might be a bit taxing on energy demands to maintain constantly though, and while once the molecular shield would funnel attacks that hit it into the power and weapon systems, it still would require some initial power for it to get up and running. They could tie it into the ray shielding system, essentially make the molecular shielding an immediate back-up/replacement for the ray shield when it fell and still maintain the particle shields.

Two ideas to try and possible hear the opinion of the Admiral on which he would like tested first. Sending off a quick message, she went back to staring at the designs and sending text messages to the technicians around her. Hmm ... or it could be the other way around, have the molecular as the main energy shield and the ray shield comes up once the molecular shielding fell .. if it fell that is. These things could gobble up just about every energy attack for quite a while.

Ultimatum thought on that. Venting the power would be the truly most difficult question. Let's see. It is simply a matter of absorbing the incoming energy and changing it into a different form. It was, at its base, a question of mathematics, both input and output had to equal one another. If one had too much input then there would be a system overload a very bad thing, while if there was too much output the extra power would have to be drawn from the ship's main generators, a less than preferable outcome. So the question was, when the shielding was being heavily bombarded how would the excess power, which no doubt there would be, be sent to.

Of course as stated before a large portion of the power would have to be recycled to keep the shields up. From there extra power could be sent to systems that the main generators didn't power all the time, maybe the refreshers or turbolasers. Some would be put into power storage for later use. That still left quite a lot of power, after all when in battle many many teravolts of power were sent back and forth in a battle. Where would the extra power go? What other systems were there that could handle such an incredible amount of power?

That is it! The Hangars! They were one of the largest draws on power. Of course, the main generators were the main supply of power to everything there. This was partly because the power in hangar bays is mostly used during noncombat periods, ship repairs and other such. That would make the molecular shielding less capable of actually helping there. However, it was often said that the hangars are the coldest place on a ship. Ultimatum knew this to be true, he had done a small study with various hangars and their room temperature. Theoretically it was because of the heat dispersing into space through the magcon fields. Ultimatum didn't know enough of the science behind that to tell whether or not this was true. That didn't really matter at this point. If the excess power was run through resistors that wound their way around the hangar the heat they released would warm up the large open areas.

Out of necessity there would have to be at least two paths for the energy to take, a direct one from the input to the output and then one from the input through the resistors and then to the output. It was an idea. He tried to explain it to the organic as best he could and then asked if it looked like it could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom