Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Adamithium

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
Intent: To develop a new alloy that can prove useful for ship production by Subach-Innes and other companies. I was inspired by the real life Armox material.
Development Thread:

Manufacturer: Ri'ess-Emeritus Industries (formerly); Defiance Consolidated Multipurpose Manufacturing
Model: Alloy
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Yes(minor variations in the alloying materials)
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Duranium(60-70%), Turadium(5-10%), Agrinium(5-10%), Powdered Armorweave(up to 5%), Duraplast(up to 5%), Titanium Ore(up to 5%)
Description: Adamithium was devised by Subach engineers as a new starship construction material, and while it has succeeded in some aspects, in others, it hasn't performed as well. Comprised of a cocktail of various metals, Adamithium has a special manufacturing process. To develop the metal, all ingredients except for the titanium ore are melted together and distributed evenly throughout the homozygous mixture. Duranium allows for structural strength. Agrinium, Duraplast, Armorweave, and Turadium are energy-resistant, giving the metal mixture excellent resistance against energy weapons. However, without the addition of the titanium ore, the cocktail will cool into a weak, ooze-like mixture, easily compressed and flexed.

When the ore is added as a catalyst, however, Adamithium becomes a lot stronger with regards to energy resistance. Think around 1.5x as energy resistant, and 0.5x as physically durable as durasteel. There is one catch, however. The Adamithium piece, once the titanium is added and thoroughly mixed in, will cool approximately thirty minutes afterwards. And once it's cast in the mold, that's it. There's no reshaping it. If the piece was flawed in production, it cannot be melted back down - temperatures significantly higher than those used to weld and repair duranium are needed to reforge or repair the piece. This is due to its high energy resistance, most torches using energy instead of flame. The ship with a damaged or flawed would have to be entirely disassembled in order to repair the damage through using gas- or flame-based cutting equipment to remove the damaged section and weld in a new one, the resulting repaired piece being far less structurally sound. As such, instead of being used as an all-ship metal, as was intended, Adamithium is typically used in disposable buildings, external armor, or other places where whole panels can be removed with ease. This issue with the alloy means that duranium will still see use in cheap cast frame construction for decades to come, if only for it actually being weldable and repairable, however difficult.

In 844 ABY, Alicia Drey- co-owner of Ri'ess-Emeritus Industries at the time- met with Vitor Imperieuse, CEO of the aforementioned corporation, via a holo conference to discuss the future of the company. After a short negotiation, where Vitor caved into her demands, Alicia sold her 50% shares back to the company in return for a cash fee and several other demands, which included the right to use Adamithium for construction and production. This was done so as to assist her research as Darth Ayra, the Dark Lord of the Sith who was exploring the effects of Sith Alchemy on crystals. With the energy resistant properties of Adamithium, Darth Ayra sought to contain the energy output of her research, which could be described as 'explosive' and 'dangerous'.
Original Section(s):

Manufacturer: Ri'ess-Emeritus Industries
Affiliation: Independent

New Section(s):

Let's Get Started, Shall We?

First of all, I'm going to applaud your creativity on this one. For quite awhile, the go-to metal has been durasteel for the construction of just about everything. However, there are a few things that I'd like to see cleared up and elaborated upon.

I like the amount of detail you went into about the alloy's manufacturing process, but I'm uncomfortable with the vagueness I'm seeing in terms of describing its overall durability. I see that Adaminthium is fifty percent stronger than durasteel, but there is no mention of exactly how resistant to energy the alloy is. As such, I'd like you to go into more detail about this particular area, and to illustrate how a starfighter composed of Adaminthium would compare to a starfighter composed of Durasteel when shieldless and faced with the conventional weapons seen in common usage around the site. Show me the alloy's limitations outside of repairs, etc.

Next, I'd like a development thread for this alloy, as its being highly energy-resistant and 50% stronger than the most widely used metal strike me as qualities requiring IC exploration.

Do these things and I'll confer upon you a cookie...erm...approval. @ me when you're done.

@[member="Circe Savan"]

In Umbris Potestas Est
Still working on the dev thread. Darc's gone MIA, so give me a bit to find someone to complete the thread with. If you could oversee the profile and make sure there aren't any issues, the dev thread should be the last thing I'll need for this sub to be set and done.

Also... Yeah, wrong account, I know, but phone's battery is almost dead.

@[member="Isley Verd"]

In Umbris Potestas Est
Still working on it... Not trying to say anything back about the person I'm writing with in the dev thread , but they seem to keep limited hours and have a minimal amount of time to post, hence the days between responses.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Circe Savan"]
Mkay, then here's what I'm gonna do (And I apologize for the delay in the response here. My bad). If you can wrap it up by Saturday, that'll be awesome. If not, no biggie, take your time with the thread and get it done when you can. What I'll do if it's not done on Saturday is archive this (Not deny, just archive) and when you're ready with the dev thread, just PM me or one of the other staff members and we'll bring it back out and see what's what :p

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Thalia Zambrano"]
Okay, metallurgy is a bit outside of my knowledge base aside from the bare basics. My strengths there lie in forging. With that in mind, I did some research and asked some questions to a buddy of mine who is a blacksmith and also knows quite a bit about star wars. After speaking with him, researching the metals listed, and bouncing this sub around I've come to a conclusion.

The metals you've used as the base, Duranium, is energy resistant and capable of deflecting glancing blows but has a high melting point and relatively light and flexible. The other energy resistant metals you've included are Duraplast, which is good at energy resistance (especially when reinforced), Turadium (Which is difficult to cut with lightsabers, though not impossibly so), and Agrinium (Which isn't resistant to actual energy, but is resistant to radiation of all forms and can act as a tough external armor for droids and such). Titanium ore and Armorweave are an interesting addition to the mix, which I assume is to offer more basic protection.

The problem is this: The metal you've created is roughly equivalent to Durasteel, albeit more energy resistant and more susceptible to kinetic attacks. The ratios you're using wouldn't create such a metal you're describing and, with the sheer amount of heat needed to melt the metal down, the description makes it sound like a cheaper, weaker version of Quantum Crystalline (Not saying you're shooting for that, just saying that the heat needed to remelt the metal sounds like that). With a basis of Duranium, you should be able to easily smelt the metal down for repairs and such, regardless of what the mix is. Beskar iron is far, far more durable than this metal, but is able to be melted, heated, bent, and forged with relative ease, though at the right temperatures of course. As for the armorweave and titanium, they allow the metal to be roughly equivalent to Durasteel. The armorweave is a cloth type material and can't really be ground up or powdered. The main thing this brings is the carbon that occurs when it's added to the mix and subsequently charred/burned up. That carbon along with the titanium ore allows the metal to become flexible while maintaining strength which makes it more or less up to durasteel standards.

Essentially what you've created is a metal that can deal with energy weapons better than durasteel, but is less effective against kinetic weapons and projectiles than durasteel is. You've put a lot of work into the sub and the dev thread itself so I'm willing to work with you on it. If you want to just edit accordingly to what I've just described, go for it. If you want to alter it differently to reflect the metal you're going for, awesome. You wanna try something else entirely, epic. Completely up to you with what you wanna do here. Regardless of what you wanna do, if you want any help, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to help out :)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Enigma"]
Mkay, I see you've made some edits. Just one last thing or two and you should be good to go.

First, the ratio of strength/weakness to energy/kinetic attacks is a bit off. 0.75x resistance to kinetic with 1.5x resistance to energy when compared to durasteel isn't quite right. That'd be a metal 25% weaker than durasteel in regards to kinetic attacks but is 50% stronger against energy attacks than durasteel. If you want to maintain 1.50x against energy, drop the physical resistance to 0.50x against physical. Or drop the energy resistance to 1.25x energy while maintaining the 0.75x kinetic resistance.

Also, while I understand you included it in as a weakness, the inability to melt or work the metal after cooling can be potentially abused by other writers. The reason for this is that energy based weapons use thermal energy to damage metals by direct melting or explosive evaporation. Because the metal is, by description, unable to be melted short of star core temperatures, this can be viewed as a complete resistance to heat and, therefore, energy based weapons. If you still want this sort of thing to be a weakness, just state that the metal has a very high melting point as reflected by its high energy resistance (when compared to durasteel) and you should be good as that implies the metal is harder to cut and work when compared to durasteel.

@ me when done and you should be good to go :)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Enigma"]

Enigma said:
When the ore is added as a catalyst, however, Adamithium becomes a lot stronger. Think around 1.5x as energy resistant, and 0.5x as physically durable as durasteel. There is one catch, however. The Adamithium piece, once the titanium is added and thoroughly mixed in, will cool approximately thirty minutes afterwards. And once it's cast in the mold, that's it. There's no reshaping it whatsoever. If the piece was flawed in production, it cannot be melted back down - temperatures far higher than those used to weld and repair duranium are needed to reforge or repair the piece. This is due to its high energy resistance, most torches using energy instead of flame. This becomes a problem when a part such as a frame piece is damaged on a starship - as it's impossible to heat the piece and repair it, or weld a new piece of metal into it. The ship would have to be entirely disassembled in order to repair the damage. As such, instead of being used as an all-ship metal, as was intended, Adamithium is typically used in disposable buildings, external armor, or other places where whole panels can be removed with ease. This issue with the alloy means that duranium will still see use in cheap cast frame construction for decades to come, if only for it actually being weldable and repairable, however difficult.

I'd suggest taking some time and editing this paragraph, please. I saw you edited what was asked, but this paragraph is now a mix of the new edits with the old, implied strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom