Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Abduction on Naboo

Valery offered him a few words, an affirmation that he had helped save the day. It eased the fear he felt a little bit, but something still gnawed at him. He had an inkling as to what it might have been... but he needed to speak with Benji first. Gatz wasn't exactly looking forward to speaking to the man, or dealing with the RSF investigation that was sure to come, but Naboo was his world. This was his problem.

And Valery had done enough for him. A lifetime's worth, really, though he'd probably never voice that. He didn't like to be sappy.

So as the Jedi Master dealt with the dirt smudged children scrambling out of their cage, he made a slow gait towards Benji. The man was still held in place by Valery's power, but even so, Gatz itched to reach for his blaster. Not to kill the man, no, somehow he didn't have that in him. That instinct mostly came from the thought that the Nikto might somehow escape them. Gatz would have felt a lot better if he could have just shot Benji in the knee.

Shooting an unarmed man probably wouldn't have gone over well with Valery, even if he wasn't trying to kill. Maiming was still frowned upon by the Jedi, he was sure. So, instead, Gatz went emptyhanded. He stood before Benji, the man's face filled with fright, and finally put a voice to the words he needed to say; to the question he needed answered.

"Why, man?"

He knew, of course. He could feel the reason wafting off of Benji in waves, just as he could feel it still beating in his own heart: the fear. What man wouldn't do anything it took to get out from under a Sith Lord's thumb? It was a stupid question in the end.

But some things you had to know for certain. For Gatz, this was one of them.

"D-do you k-know what she would have done to me i-if I hadn't helped h-her?" Benji's voice came out in a stutter, and his eyes teared up.

"Yeah," Gatz said quietly, "I know. Do you know that you've subjected children to bear that torture in your place?"

"Yes," and it came out as a sob, "but what was I supposed to do? She'd have killed me if I told anyone!"

"We all die someday, Benji," Gatz looked to the corpse on the floor, and then to Valery and the children, "is this how you want to be remembered?"

"O-of course not! B-but what was I supposed to do? W-what would you have done?"

And there came the crux of his problem. It struck Gatz so quickly, so violently, but he finally understood what had left that bitter taste in his mouth: if he and Benji swapped positions, would he have done anything different? He wanted to say "yes," of course, but it wasn't that simple. If Valery asked him to do the same, if she asked him to abduct children under the threat of his life, would he have gone along with it?

She wouldn't, he reminded himself, she'd never.

But that wasn't the point. The question was: would he? And he found that he didn't have an answer.

"I'm not condemning you," Gatz said at last, "I've got a few too many sins under my own belt to judge anyone. But now, when the opportunity arises, I choose to do what's right instead of what's easy."

He expected words from Benji. Instead he got more sobbing and blubbering. Fear, anxiety, regret, guilt... they all flowed from the man. It was hard not to pity him, even after what he'd done. And what he'd done had been terrible.

"You can still make that choice too. I know this isn't the first batch of children you've given to her. Tell me where she took them, Benji." It was more a question than a demand, "maybe we can still help them. Maybe you can still make this right."

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Last edited:

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Tag: Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar

The children seemed cautious and weren't very talkative, but as soon as they came out of the cage and were met with a gentle embrace from Valery, their emotions took over. They began to sob, sniff and leaned heavily into the hug that finally made them feel safe again. Valery's heart just melted because of it, and for as long as they needed it, she wouldn't even try to move them away. All she wanted was for them to know that everything would be alright.

But even in this embrace, Valery managed to look over at Gatz as he talked to Benji. With the kids crying, she couldn't pick up on everything they said to each other, but she could feel the emotion, and she could certainly see Benji breaking down. In a way, she understood — this wasn't what he really wanted to do.

It didn't make it right, but he feared for his own life and she knew that many people would sacrifice a lot of their values just to stay alive at that point.

"If you help us find the other kids, we can make a case for you as well," Valery said after catching the last part of their conversation when she finally made her way over. She knew that he might still be punished for his actions but if he truly did it just because he was threatened into it, and helped them find the other kids, then his sentence would be immensely reduced. "You don't have to worry about the Sith anymore," Valery added with a quick glance at the body.

"I'll make sure you're somewhere safe too."

Gatz watched Valery handle the children out of the corner of his eye. There was a reason he'd asked her to do that, and that was the tender way she dealt with the frightened kids. Gentle, caring, loving: all the things a mother should be. All the things he couldn't offer to anyone. Gatz wasn't capable of the vulnerability and tenderness that Valery showed to the children. He was too... emotionally stunted, though he loathed to admit it.

And it took someone wholly good to show these children the kind of compassion they needed right now. That wasn't him.

When Valery finally approached, she offered a few words of her own, far more comforting than anything he'd said. She offered him, well, maybe not a way out, but a way to lessen the sentence that he was bound to serve. In a way, Gatz hated that. It felt like they were giving Benji a chance to worm his way out of the consequences, but he also knew it was probably the best way to convince him to help them. For all his effort to appeal to the man's sense of morality, it was probably more effective to promise to put in a good word for him.

He did pity the man. Maybe Benji deserved a lesser sentence. But he also couldn't defend his actions, so maybe he deserved a harsh one. He couldn't say for certain how he felt. Gatz only knew that it wasn't his place to judge.

"The RSF won't give a damn about what I think of you," Gatz added, "but they'll take into consideration what a Jedi Master has to say. She can tell them that you took these actions while under duress, and were cooperative once the threat to your life was removed. But you have to make good on that last part first."

Benji was silent for a few long seconds.

"I-I don't know where, specifically," he began quietly, "but I know it isn't more than a few systems from here. There wasn't enough time between our meetings for her to have gone all the way to Sith space and back. But she flew this ship every time, and maybe she didn't wipe her nav computer's memory."

Well, that was a start.

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Valery dipped in agreement with Gatz. She held no official political power as a Jedi, but it was safe to say that her influence was substantial. If he showed his willingness to help find the other kids as well, it wouldn't be so hard to prove that he had, in fact, been threatened into helping the Sith Lord. "You have my word that if you help, I'll make sure it's taken into account." And luckily, it seemed that Benji finally agreed.

What he explained about the Sith's ship and navigational computer got Valery to think, though, so she quickly turned to Gatz. "We'll call in security to keep the kids with them until we return. Then we grab the Sith's ship and use it to fly wherever the kids were brought to," she explained as she looked over at the vessel.

"It's possible that she has someone waiting for her at that location, so if we take the ship, they won't suspect anything." Whereas taking their own ship could potentially alarm anybody, if the kids were being guarded, and force them to retreat and maybe go into hiding. At that point, it'd be very difficult to locate those kids.

She couldn't allow it to happen.

"As for you, Benji, you'll remain with spaceport security as well," Valery said before she tapped her comms unit and made the call. It wasn't going to take long for security to arrive, and they could decide if they wanted to call in law enforcement as well. At least, she hoped the parent's kids would be informed.

"Ready to go, Gatz? I don't think we should wait. If this ship doesn't return, someone might get suspicious."

"I hate flying ships that aren't The Red Night," Gatz groaned, half out of annoyance, and half out of discomfort, "but I agree. We'd just spook them in my ship."

The Sith's ship was a sleek freighter whose hull design he didn't recognize. Maybe it was something manufactured in Sith space. It seemed like a good ship, to be sure, but it wasn't his. His freighter was customized to his specifications, and every modification made it better suited to be piloted by him. He didn't know if this ship could jam scanner and comms like his own, if it had an extra shield generator, or if the ion engines could never be pushed past seventy percent without taking the chance of blowing the whole ship up.

Hell, it probably only had a class II hyperdrive, as most freighters tended to have before aftermarket modifications. That was just unacceptable.

Gatz stifled another groan as the adrenaline finally faded from his body, and he was left aching. He obviously hadn't checked yet, but he could feel one big bruise forming on his back. As it turned out, being thrown ten feet through the air and crashing down on metal flooring wasn't good for the human physique. But there was nothing that could be done about it now, and even if there had been, his pride wouldn't allow him to admit to needing help.

Valery had literally walked through a lightsaber blade. If he couldn't force his body to function properly after one little tumble, then what good was he to her? Not much, especially if she wanted to go find those kids right now, and she made it very clear that she did.

"Valery, I'm never "ready" for the kinds of things that we do." Gatz started up the ramp into the Sith Lord's vessel, moving stiffly so as to not aggravate his bruised back, "unfortunately, I've developed this annoying thing called a "conscience," and it won't be satisfied unless I see this through. So, yeah, I guess I'm ready to go."

Gatz really hoped that the hard part was over though. He'd met his Sith Lord quota for the day. And, despite what he'd just said, he didn't have a whole lot of faith in his ability to improvise.

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"You'll survive," Valery said with a smirk, purely to tease him.

She understood where he was coming from though. She had her own preferences for ships, and flying anything but her trusty X-wing or the Bastion was something she couldn't ever really enjoy. Unless the ship could go really fast, of course — that excited her inner adrenaline junkie immensely. Not that she'd share that with him, for a fear of being on the receiving end of some jokes or teasing.

"Well, at least the ship looks fancy enough," she commented as they made their approach. But as they did, Valery glanced over her shoulder just in time to notice him walking rather stiffly. It wasn't that hard to understand why, and she began to wonder why he hadn't said anything.

Was he ashamed, or did he just not want to be a bother?

"We'll be fine, and don't sell yourself short so much," she said with a chuckle. "That said... are you hurt? You walk like you just aged up 50 years in one day." She looked him over, perking a brow as analytical eyes scanned him. "Why don't we grab a medical kit and first look you over?"

She wasn't sure how bad the injury was, and didn't want to expose him to something that could be dangerous if he struggled walking.

Well, he was busted. Not that he hadn't expected to be. Gatz was sly, but he wasn't sly enough to disguise his discomfort, and Valery was a perceptive person anyhow. Naturally she was worried, and he'd expected that too. It was stupid of him to think this way, but it felt emasculating to have her be so concerned with his health. Because dammit, he was a scoundrel! He'd been stabbed, shot, burned, and electrocuted!

But here he was, walking like a cripple, all because of one bad Force empowered fall.

"No, I'm fine," Gatz was too quick argue, and he knew she wouldn't be satisfied with his answer, "I've been beaten black and blue more times than I can count. A little bruising down my spine is nothing."

Sure did hurt like hell, though. He kept moving of course, choosing to walk a bit more normally, even as it sent twinges of pain lancing up and down his back. Painful, but manageable.... but damn, were all cargo bays this far from the cockpit? Because he'd really like to sit down.

Once he did enter the cockpit, he found it to be a little... intimate. It housed three seats, one in the center for the pilot, and two on either side. Still, they were so close that the pilot and two co-pilots had to be constantly bumping elbows. The Red Night hardly had the largest cockpit in the galaxy, but at least it was roomy enough to allow everyone a little personal space. The stark contrast only made him more uncomfortable about flying a different ship.

With a groan, more out of annoyance than pain, Gatz settled into the pilot's chair and began to riffle through the navicomputer.

"Well, our Sith Lord made a number of stops to Chryya," Gatz started to speak, and then cursed loudly, "that karking schutta! Of course it'd be there."

Gatz's pace quickened, as much as man's moving hands could be quickened as they flicked toggle switches, and though every movement rewarded him with pangs of pain, he didn't seem like he was about to slow down anytime soon.

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

He was right, she wasn't satisfied at all.

Her eyes narrowed at Gatz as he brushed off his injury and walked further into the ship. Sure, it wasn't life threatening but a smaller injury could easily impair enough to where something much worse could happen. But she wasn't his boss or his mother, so if he wanted to push forward despite his pain, she was going to have to accept it.

She just didn't like it.

"Well, isn't this cozy," Valery commented as she looked around the cockpit for a moment, before watching Gatz plop down with a groan to get to work. She followed right after him, and seemed to struggle even just sitting in her own chair a bit with how narrow it was for her waist. She grumbled, turned to Gatz and bumped into him, "Ow," she muttered. before pulling her elbow in front of her stomach, so she wasn't poking him with it.

"Getting out of this chair is going to be a thing," she said with a chuckle, but her amusement didn't last very long. "Chryya? I haven't heard about it. What's up with it?" she asked with a frown. Seeing him go through controls that fast was very concerning.

"Chryya itself is fine, it's in a nearby system. The most notable thing about it is it's thriving spice trade: spice is legal there."

The freighter purred to life, silent and stable, and not at all with the wheeze and powerful sputters of aftermarket engines that Gatz was used to. With one hand on the yoke, and another on the throttle, the scoundrel guided the ship into a hovering position. The hangar doors were opening above them, but far slower than he would have liked. Didn't the port officials know they had someplace to be?

Patience, he reminded himself, but it didn't make him feel any less frantic.

"But even on a world where vices are legal, there are places that dabble in the unthinkable. Sovereign Station is one of those places, and this ship has been there many, many times." Gatz paused for a moment, then added, "strap in, or hold onto something."

He practically punched the throttle, and the freighter shot into the air like a bullet. It was definitely much faster than the legal limit this close to the ground, and the RSF would probably have a ticket with his name on it when they got back, but Gatz really couldn't bring himself to care at the moment. He really didn't have any time to waste.

"Sovereign Station is run by a particularly nasty Quarren named Kragan Garr, and while he's big in the spice game, he made most of his fortune in the slave trade. Young or old, for labor or pleasure; it doesn't matter. If a person lives and breathes, he'll sell them. And our Sith Lord took children there."

Gatz neglected to mention the fact that he had worked for Kragan before—not in the slave trade, of course, but in smuggling spice to places where it wasn't legal—and that the alien probably wanted him dead on sight. Hopefully it wouldn't be important later.

"Let's just hope she was stashing them there, and not selling them to Kragan."

Last edited:

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"I see..." she frowned a little at the thought of them going to a spice world, knowing that's where the children would be. It made her just as impatient as he was for the hangar bay doors to open, but that frustration faded very quickly when he told her to brace herself. She blinked, looked at him and opened her mouth, "This seat has no-" and Gatz took off with immense speed, forcing Valery to grab the closest thing to keep herself seated.

His arm and shoulder.

"I was not ready!" she yelled before finally adjusting enough to just hold onto her own chair. They were breaking all sorts of speed limits, but Valery didn't care at all. They had to get to the kids before it was too late, and this only grew in importance when he mentioned Kragan. A slaver. It was as if Valery's eyes turned cold all of a sudden, making it clear just how she felt about slavers. As a younger Padawan, she had been captured by Hutt slavers once.

That experience would always haunt her.

"Whether she brought the kids to him or somewhere else, we will find them. I'm not stopping until every last one of them is back where they should be, at home." She sounded passionate about it, and no amount of arguing could get through her stubbornness now. Not that she thought he'd argue this at all.

Valery then finally calmed down a bit and looked at him with a sheepish smile, "Sorry if I hurt your arm there. And are you sure I shouldn't at least look at your back?"

"And here I thought you liked speed!" But it was bit much for even him.

His back practically slammed into the seat, sending waves of pain echoing throughout his body, but he would simply have to bear it. Then Valery latched onto him, tweaking his shoulder, and he couldn't help but hiss out in pain. Yet even that was bearable (it wasn't). But he didn't have time to moan or whine about a couple of bruises, or kinks in his muscles.

At least, not until they made the jump to hyperspace. Then he'd have plenty of time to complain.

As they broke atmosphere, and Gatz began to align the ship to make the jump, Valery spoke up. Her conviction wasn't surprising to him, but the passion with which she spoke was. Well, no, it actually wasn't. He found her passion to be odd for a typical Jedi Master, but he'd long since figured out that there was nothing "typical" about Valery Noble. She was passionate and spirited, fierce and proactive: all the things that had made him so unsuited to be a Jedi himself.

Somehow she had taken the same flaws, and turned them into the major strengths of her character. Gatz wished he'd had the will to do the same. Maybe things would have been different. Maybe he'd never have left the Order.

But "what ifs" served no one. There was no point wondering what kind of Jedi he'd have made, because he wasn't one, and would never be one. He was a scoundrel, self-serving and flawed, but one who had the ability to do a little bit of good from time to time. That would have to be enough.

"We'll find them," Gatz tried to reassure Valery, "and if we come up short, I still have a few old contacts from the "good ole days." If I grease enough palms, someone will point us in the right direction."

With a flip of a lever, the Sith's vessel accelerated into hyperspace, and Gatz sagged into his seat with a sigh. He really should take Valery up on her offer to check his back. It was the intelligent thing to do. But something, probably foolish pride, rejected the notion of needing help.

"Valery, I watched you walk through a lightsaber," he groaned as he stood from his seat, in the direction opposite of Valery because it was the only unoccupied space in the tiny cockpit, "and if you can do that, then I should be able to deal with a little tumble to the ground."

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

She definitely hurt him, and it made her feel really bad.

He had been nothing but kind and helpful to her, and she felt a powerful urge to help him and protect him in return. Not because she looked at him as weak or someone who needed help, but just because she cared about him. Even with the physical pain that likely made it hard to focus, he picked up on how she felt, and was trying to reassure her that they'd find the kids. It sparked an appreciative smile, and a greater desire to help him feel better.

She knew that his back hurt a lot more than he tried to show — there was no hiding that from a highly empathic Jedi Master who had been the type to shrug off injuries herself.

"I know we will, thanks," she said with a soft smile before she relaxed into her chair as well. Only for a moment though, as he again refused her help. They were on their way to their target, so she felt that they had the time for it now. "You know, you're pretty stubborn about accepting help when the pain or problem is your own. I can appreciate you wanting to set aside that discomfort to help others, but... you're pushing yourself too hard."

Her smile softened a little, as she gestured for his back.

"Your 'tumble' hurt a lot more than those lightsabers that never touched me. I won't pressure you to do anything, but I can help if you let me."

Was he pushing himself too hard? It was a simple question, but the answer was far more complex. If he'd been anyone else, any normal man, he might have agreed with Valery. For anyone else, they'd have already done their part. Facing a Sith Lord was more than what could be asked of an individual. Anyone else could throw in the towel after an injury.

He was not anyone else.

He was Gatz Derrevar, failed Jedi, and he had wronged more people than he could count. He'd killed people over shipments of spice. Yes, only in self-defense, but at the end of the day he'd killed people over drugs of all things. And what about all the people that had died from spice use? How many people died from overdosing on spice he had delivered to their worlds?

A tweaked back was the least of what he deserved. He could bear it, until he brought those children home. Until he did something worthwhile.

"You're already doing all the heavy lifting," Gatz sighed, "I brought you to my home, to deal with my problem, and I haven't done my fair share of the work. Considering that... you shouldn't have to look out for me as well. Force knows I'm not deserving of it."

Gatz braced himself for what would inevitably come next: Valery's indignance that he would insult himself so. She really did value him far too much. The faith she placed in him was far more than he deserved. He appreciated that in many ways... but it could also be suffocating. He couldn't live up to her. Even if he hadn't been criminal scum, he still wouldn't have been half the person she was.

Of course, she didn't expect him to be. But, now, he did.

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Valery's eyes narrowed at him when he continued to reject the offer, but especially what he said last seemed to bother her. "I don't care if people feel like they deserve my help or not. I'm a Jedi, so this is what I want to do, and you've done far more good than you're giving yourself credit for." She then paused and sighed with a small frown on her face, "But Gatz, you're also a friend. I just want to make sure that you're doing alright, and we have the time now to patch you up. You don't have to ever earn my help."

"Every person who makes an active effort to be better deserves help,"
she then added before turning her gaze away for a moment. She couldn't force him to accept her help, but it was clear enough that his reasoning so far bothered her. It made her feel like she stood above him, and that her help was some kind of special luxury people had to earn.

She hates feeling like that.

"How much longer until we get there?"

qolzfbg.png

"I-" Gatz started, unsure of himself and how to answer, "I'm not... sure if..."

He allowed himself to trail off, and think. As stubborn as Gatz was, he was certain of one thing: Valery was far wiser than he. Did he deserve compassion? He didn't think so. He felt as though he had a long way to go before he earned something even resembling kindness. But if Valery felt differently, if Valery was telling him he was wrong, weren't her words worth considering? Did the counsel of a Jedi Master not hold far more weight than his own, biased, opinion?

Maybe he was a far way off from being a good man, but hadn't he saved children today? Was that not a step in the right direction?

Gatz Derrevar, the scoundrel, wouldn't have done such a thing without the promise of a rich reward at the end. That man, who he'd been only months ago, was damned and undeserving of kindness. But maybe Gatz Derrevar, failed Jedi, still held the capacity for good. He was a flawed man—easily tempted, rash, hedonistic—but he was still capable of helping others. Still capable righteous action.

And maybe, just maybe, he was still deserving of compassion.

"It's a short trip," Gatz said with a sigh, "Chryya is practically right next door. But this ship only has a Class Two hyperdrive, so... long enough for you to take a look at my back."

Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Valery had just about given up, and would have spent the rest of the journey in silence to keep herself from being annoyed. But after a moment of quiet consideration, Gatz turned to her and finally opened up a little more. She blinked, turned to him and she couldn't stop the corners of her lips from rising up into a gentle smile. Of course, she understood his perspective as well, and she had been very stubborn about accepting help in the past.

But she truly believed this would be for the best.

"Alright, turn around and lift up your shirt a bit," she said before she waited for him to do just that. Valery wasn't a healer and wouldn't have been able to do anything if the injuries were more serious, but this she could do. Once he was ready, she gently reached out to place the palm of her hand against his back, hoping it wouldn't startle him.

"Tell me where it hurts the most," she said, her voice calm as her hand moved across his back, right until he'd tell her to stop. Once he did, she formed a bridge between the two through the Force, and allowed her energy to gently pass into his body. He'd perhaps still be a little sore, but with some effort, she'd take away most of his pain.

"How's that?" she asked, her forehead now covered in a thin layer of sweat.

She really should work on her healing skills one day.

qolzfbg.png

Valery smiled at him, and much like it usually did, the action left him feeling warm. Not in that fuzzy, knees weak sort of way, but in a manner that left him feeling safe and reassured. It felt a lot like her presence in the Force usually did, but it felt more grounded in reality, as opposed to spirituality. It was hard to explain, but it reminded him of his earliest memories of his mother.

He repressed that immediately, of course. Thinking of Mom right now—a woman a year dead—wouldn't do him any good. And he found Valery way too attractive for her to be reminding him of his mother. Gross.

But the feeling itself was nice.

At her behest, Gatz shucked his jacket and tossed it on the pilot's seat. Turning his back to Valery, he lifted his shirt for her to inspect the damage done to his back. He couldn't see it himself, but considering the pain he was in, he expected it to be mottled purple and brown with bruises running along his spine. Which, when he thought about it, was really dangerous if he wanted to keep control of all his limbs.

Valery pressed her hand against his back, and once she reached his lumbar he hissed in pain, "yeah, that's the worst spot."

Then, suddenly, it was like his body came alive. The Force swelled within him, like a current of electricity along a copper wire. But it was a gentle thing, not as erratic and bold as lightning, but carrying its energy all the same. For the few brief moments that Valery's hand was upon his back, he felt more attuned to the galaxy than he ever had before: he could feel not just her warm presence in the Force, but her effort as she pushed against the boundaries of her own skill.

Then it was gone, her hand removed, and with it went his pain. Gatz was left stiff, and... hollow, his own rusted connection once more being his only link to the greater universe. It was better that way, he supposed. No one like him should have unfettered access to something as ripe for abuse as the Force.

"That's good. Thank you," he sighed in relief, turning back to her, "I'm sorry. I know I'm being stubborn. I'm just not used to asking for help... or even having anyone to ask."

Scoundrels made plenty of contacts, but few friends, after all.

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"I understand being stubborn about this stuff. I was just like this not even that long ago," Valery admitted with an almost sheepish smile again. "It's that understanding that you do have people to ask for help in your life that made me change, and I was hoping that you'd see it too." Her smile brightened noticeably now, as she looked him in the eyes. "I'm glad that you let me help, and please don't ever feel like you can't ask for it."

It's not like they had spent that much time working together, but she already considered him a friend. There was no way she wouldn't help him if he asked.

"Also, your back looked pretty messed up," she said with a huff. "You were really going to just shrug it off?" She grinned, clearly at a point where she felt like teasing him over it a little. But it also wouldn't be long until they reached their destination, so Valery sat back, relaxed a little and tried to steady her heart rate after putting so much energy into healing him up.

She still wasn't quite used to it.

"Let's bring all these kids home now, hm?"

qolzfbg.png

"It's that understanding that you do have people to ask for help in your life..."

Except that he didn't. Gatz wasn't sure that Valery understood that: he didn't have a spouse and children, a gaggle of Padawans, or an Order to return home to. He didn't have those connections; those bonds that she did. When today was over, she'd return to her family and the Jedi Praxeum, full of life and love for her.

He'd return to an empty ship.

"I'll do my best." That was all he could offer to placate her, and to let her know that he had listened to her wisdom. Even if he couldn't put it into practice.

As Gatz settled back into the pilot's seat, Valery changed the topic to the damage to his back, and he was grateful for that. He had to admit: though he was still stiff and a little sore, the pain was long gone. He could function like this, though getting into a fistfight might still be an issue. Either way, it was enough, and Gatz felt foolish for rejecting her help.

"I was preserving my fragile male ego. You know how it goes," he smiled back.

As promised, Chryya was but a short trip, and soon enough Gatz was dropping their borrowed freighter out of hyperspace. Sovereign Station wasn't a far flight, an average looking space station set against the backdrop of Chryya itself, that seemed unassuming if you didn't know what went on in its metal hull. Unfortunately, the inside was anything but civilized.

As Gatz closed the ship in on the station, the comm began to beep. Right. They'd have to get permission to actually dock. He sucked in a breath, and opened the channel.

"I have you on long range sensors. Identify." The voice was low, but feminine.

"Sending transponder code now," Gatz spoke simply, "and requesting the usual hangar."

Did the Sith have a usual hangar? He didn't know. He didn't know the first thing about how she'd brought the other children here, or how she stored them here. All he could do was hold his breath and hope he could bullshit his way into getting permission to dock.

Theed_spaceport.jpg

Naboo
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"I was preserving my fragile male ego. You know how it goes,"

Valery actually snorted at that, and rolled her eyes before looking at him with a smirk, "Oh please," she said, clearly not convinced by that at all. She knew there was more to why he didn't want her to help, but rather than really push the subject, she opted for some teasing instead. With just her eyes and grin alone.

The trip to Chryya was luckily as short as he told her it would be, so when the shuttle broke through the atmosphere, Valery turned in her seat and watched the viewscreen and instruments closely. There was still a chance they'd be stopped before landing, but after everything they went through already, Valery was feeling quite optimistic about their chances.

"I have you on long range sensors. Identify."

Without even realizing it, Valery began to chew on her lower lip, and looked at Gatz while he answered the call. Transponder codes were sent, and a rather long silence followed. Valery could feel her heart pounding in her chest, but after another moment, the comm finally opened up again.

"You're cleared for docking."

A breath of relief escaped her lips, and she turned to Gatz with a hopeful grin, "This should be easy enough, hm?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom