Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Temple of Ghosts

"What are you doing, my love?" Alicio questioned, his arm still extended. "Just take my hand." He bared her a smile, his eyes like stars. He sounded more desperate now, almost pleading, half-angry. It was only at Amani's challenge that the Alderaan noble seemed to break, a flash of surprise crossing his pale, handsome features—and something else. Something darker.

As the healer raised her palm, Alicio's body twisted. "No," he said, then shouted, "No!" He lashed out, lunging for the healer as if to wrap his hands around her throat, right before an explosion of blinding light consumed them.
—​

Maeve staggered against the wall. She was unable to escape the haunting voice of her father, whose every word was like a rusty knife plunging into her chest. A part of her knew he wasn't real. Just a figment of her imagination. But what pained her most was that he wasn't wrong. She had left his body and the rest of her family's to rot in that cell while she escaped. She had abandoned them. She had failed them.

But while she clutched her head fighting to keep his voice out, Maeve saw it. A burst of white light. It was like watching the sunrise up close, and the heavy blanket of darkness around her seemed to melt away against it.

A voice came next, a beacon in the dark. Maeve knew it was Amani in an instant, and she followed it, shuffling towards it until she found the healer standing on the other side of the chamber, the floor around her cracked and broken. "Amani," she said, awash with relief. "Thank the Force. I thought I'd lost you for a moment there. I thought I… lost myself."

Maeve hesitated. She didn't want to admit what had happened while they were separated, and she didn't ask that of Amani, either. Whatever it was they saw, perhaps it was better kept to themselves.

The real problem was who had attacked them in the first place.

A chill ran down Amani's spine as the facade cracked. The sight of Alicio angry, at her, lunging at her, was so wholly unlike him. In tandem with an otherwise flawless mimicry of his physical form, it made for an unpleasant visceral reaction. When the light and darkness collided, there was a moment of temporary blindness, and a lingering lethargy. The mirialan took a knee and blinked, recognizing a faded voice in her half-dazed state.

"Maeve," She confirmed as the face behind it became clearer, "We're okay," Was the affirmation for her partner, or her herself? Hallucinations as dizzying as those could have an effect on the strongest minds. Perhaps it was best that they just put it all behind them, "We're okay."

After a few more moments in recuperation, Amani forced herself onto her feet. They weren't done quite yet, "Let's end this, and get the hell out of here, yeah?" Best to make sure Maeve was good to go as well, but lingering wouldn't do them any good when there was still a dark presence stalking them.

We're okay. It's okay. I'm okay.

The words rang through Maeve's head like a mantra. They were both out of the dark, no longer haunted by the visions of their past and mistakes. Now all that needed to be done was to find the thing responsible.

"You don't have to tell me twice," she answered Amani, raising her lightsaber in defense. A warm, blue glow radiated through the chamber they were in, pillared and vast and haunting. Maeve still felt that dark presence from before, breathing down her neck and watching them like a shadow on the wall. It was not until she neared the altar in the center of the chamber, a slab of icy rock, that she realized the presence was just that—a shadow.

In an instant, it detached from the wall and solidified into a shape before her and Amani, half-man and half something else entirely. It trembled as if infuriated, and circled the altar with an almost protective gait.

"A light show," the presence mocked. "How aggravatingly clever."

Maeve raised her lightsaber threateningly, but the shadow didn't seem the least worried. "I have to admit my surprise," it continued, ignoring her completely, focusing instead on Amani. "You weren't even tempted to take my hand. Not even once. Was I so obvious?"

Amani helped Maeve to compose herself as best she could, and it wasn't long before they were both up and ready to finish the mission. This shrine had long overstayed its welcome.

Maeve was the first to approach the altar, with Amani close behind, saber staff held tightly at her side. Their apparent meddler revealed themself, as much as a literal shade could. It took an uncanny silhouette and moved forward, prompting Amani to reflexively take a step back. She gritted her teeth, and swallowed her unease, "Sorry— This isn't really the kind of place I believe my fiancé spends his time," Amani had actually been more tempted to fall for it than the apparition seemed to realize. Not that it needed to know that. She check on Maeve with a glance, one that seemed to silently ask if she would be ready to strike when things turned sour.

"Care to introduce yourself?" The mirialan asked, turning to the presence again.

The shadow tsked. "My tricks should have overwhelmed your senses. Lured you in. Made you forget the question of how. But I should have known. You have a strong mind, Amani Serys." If the shadow had a mouth, one could imagine it grinning. "Or at least, you think you do."

"You dream of riding off on a thranta with him, freshly hitched, your wedding dress trailing stars. Isn't that sweet?" The shadow made a show of pouting. "Perhaps it will come to pass, if you manage to survive me. But if you think you can take comfort knowing Alicio is safe, you are wrong. You are so, very wrong."

"Don't listen to it," Maeve warned. She should have lunged at the presence by now, but they needed more information before blindly attacking. She needed to find a weakness.

"I have felt it," said the shadow, running a hand against the altar. "Ripples in the Force. A new power rising in the south. The Sith grow stronger with each passing day, and so do I." The presence sighed. "I don't know my name. I don't know who I was back when I was alive. But I do know this—once I take form and leave this wretched place, I will find your darling Alicio."

"And I will tear his head from his shoulders."

Amani gritted her teeth, swallowing a harsher, more instinctual reaction to the shade's monologuing. She'd heard enough Dark Sided egotism to last a lifetime already, and thus her patience was already paper-thin when it came to dealing with their ilk.

But very few had threatened Alicio's well-being in the process.

The mirialan felt her eye twitch. As a healer, Amani was by no means a naturally violent being, but the shade may as well have signed his death warrant then and there. Her desire to protect Alicio and her desire to remain true to the Jedi way were rarely a matter of conflict. But if need be, the former superseded the latter.

"For your sake, let's hope that never comes to pass,"
If it did, there was nothing that would keep her from finding him a fate worse than death. She clenched her fist, and rays of light began to expand out from the space between her fingers. With a final nod to Maeve, Amani splayed her hand to unleash another burst of Force Light at the entity.

"A threat? Isn't that adorable."

Dark laughter echoed throughout the chamber. The shadow twisted and turned, observing the two women with an almost predatory look, like it was hungry. The thought of being devoured by such a spirit disturbed Maeve, but she felt and showed no fear. Although this was no ordinary Sith, she had complete confident in her and Amani's ability to send whatever disgusting spirit this was back to the abyss it crawled out from.

Maeve clutched her blade. Then, the real light show began.

Amani's attack exploded across the room, engulfing the shadow, the altar, and everything else in blinding white color. The Sith spirit hissed and reeled back. For a moment, it seemed like it was working, but the core of the shadow remained in place, unmoving. "If you think another burst of light is going to stop me, you are sorely mistaken," the spirit laughed.

Despite its mocking, Maeve saw something. A thread of black in the light, connected between the shadow and the altar. Instantly, she understood. It was the weakness she was looking for.

"It's tied to the altar!" she told Amani.

The spirit seethed. "Not so fast," it said. "I'd hoped to lure you to your death, but I suppose I will have to deal with you Jedi the old-fashioned way." With a snap of its dark finger, the shadow summoned a creature from a burrow in the back of the chamber. The same creature that had tossed Maeve aside like a rag doll, eight-legged and with dripping fangs.

"Great," said Maeve. "Just great."

Amani shrugged, "You were already killed once. Can't be that hard to do it again," In battle, the healer was almost a different person. Normally a polite and well-intentioned woman, it seemed she had her fill of self-righteous Sith years ago, and was uninterested in letting their showboating go unanswered. They thrived on their pride, and the fear of others. Amani was eager to tear down both.

Despite her cavalier threat, she knew it was going to be tougher than that. The spirit world was capable of granting preternatural abilities to its inhabitants, if they were strong enough to use them. A distinct advantage he had over his mortal foes. Thankfully, they also had their weaknesses, one of which Maeve was quick to infer.

The spirit was keen to punish the discovery, and summoned the same dark, arachnid abomination from before to finish them off. Amani sighed, and ran forward, attempting to slide underneath it at the last second and pierce its soft abdomen with her pike.

"Make your taunts. When I'm finished with you, Jedi, you will beg for death."

The shadow leaned back as the abomination stepped forward. Fangs bared and ice cracking beneath its legs, the creature crawled at them at a startling pace, but Amani was even faster, flying towards it with her lightsaber active. She was no longer just the healer. She was a Jedi Knight, one of the best, and a dangerous foe that'd make anyone think twice about crossing her.

With a deft slide, Maeve watched her pike slice into the arachnid's soft underbelly. The abomination shrieked, poison dripping from its mouth as it twisted and tried to stab at the Jedi beneath it. Maeve wouldn't give it the chance. Seeing her opening, discarding her fears, she lunged right for it. This time, she made no battle cry. She was a silent shadow, a loosed arrow, and when the creature saw her coming, it would already be too late.

She lopped its head off like a knife through warm butter.

Black bile spilled over the floor. Flourishing her lightsaber, Maeve shot Amani a grateful, almost smug grin. "That was much easier the second time around."

The Sith spirit hissed, then its own shadow stretched across the ground, inching towards the two of them as if intending to devour them again. "Fine," it said with visible irritation. "I have to do everything myself, don't I?"

Amani had nothing more to say to the shade, enveloping herself in the focus of battle. This time, the abominable spider was felled almost as quickly as it arrived. With swift teamwork between the two Jedi, it stood not chance, dying before Amani was even up to deliver a second attack. She watched as the thorax reflectively rolled onto its back, legs curling inward before finally stiffening.

"That was much easier the second time around."

She grinned back, when the Sith interjected. It was just the three of them now. Rather than let this drag on, Amani gave Maeve another look before full sprinting towards the altar, to try and destroy the spirit's source of power once and for all. Even if it proved futile on its own, perhaps it would be enough to distract him from Maeve.

As Maeve and Amani traded looks, she understood. The altar needed to be destroyed. Without another word, they split off from each other, each taking their own path to the center of the chamber. While Amani sprinted straight for the shrine, Maeve cut another way, hoping to take the spirit by the flank. It seemed a foolproof move. A pincer attack no Sith could've managed to tank on their own.

But this was no ordinary Sith.

"Don't you dare," the spirit seethed, expanding across the floor like a puddle of ink. Shadows spread through the room. Amani was close, dangerously close, to striking the altar—but then it struck first.

Spikes the color of pitch exploded from the ground where the shadow had stretched, threatening to pierce both Jedi where they ran. Maeve gasped as she felt a shard graze the side of her leg, drawing blood. She stumbled, but then, like a bird, she flew back, landing on a broken pillar where the shadows didn't rise. She searched desperately for Amani over the span of dark spears, praying she hadn't been impaled.

"Haven't you had enough?" the shade called. "Whether it's now or later, neither of you will be leaving this temple alive."

Of course it wouldn't be that easy.

The specter was no fool, he was well aware of his glaring weakness, and defended it accordingly. Inky black spikes launched forth to skewer the two Jedi before they could get close. Amani's senses warned her just in time to avoid a stab right through her abdomen. Instead, it cut through her flank, drawing blood as she leapt away from any other stray stakes. As the Jedi landed, she stumbled onto one knee, clutching her wound.

Most likely, any attempt to get close would be swiftly rebuked. So Amani weighed her saber in hand, and mentally calculated the distance. Then, she made it onto two feet one more time so as to launch her saber like a Force-propelled javelin, right at the shrine.

The shade's laughter echoed across the room at the sight and taste of their blood. It sounded triumphant. Victorious. But as Amani stood, as Maeve gripped her lightsaber, the shadow's chuckling began to fade, turning to brief surprise and then, confusion. It couldn't understand why either Jedi was not giving up. But how could it? Unlike the Sith, they didn't fight for ambition or power or desire. They fought because it was right.

Because it was the only thing they could do.

Exchanging one final glance with Amani, Maeve called the Force to her, understanding what she intended to do. She shut her eyes. The shadow called to them again, mocking, but she drowned out its voice, even as its dark form approached her, arms like knives, ready to cut her apart. She had to give Amani this chance to attack one more time. One final strike.

Just as the healer leapt, spearing towards the altar, Maeve raised her hands to the shadow. It turned to Amani, surprise crossing its faceless shape, but too late. Force Light burst from Maeve's open palms. It consumed the shade where it stood, forcing it to solidify and therefore rooting it to the ground. She would not let it spread across the room again. She would not let it hurt her comrade, her friend, anymore. She would not let it win.

"No!" The shadow screamed, not in pain but in fury as the Light peeled back its edges. The creature extended its hand to the altar, to Amani.

As if from thin air, a form appeared in front of the tomb, rising from the ground just moments before the Jedi healer could thrust her blade into the stone. Instead, it thrust into the form's body, piercing through what felt like flesh and bone, and when Amani looked up, she would find the face of Alicio, hurt, his stomach pierced by her lightsaber.

"Amani," he said. "Why don't you love me?"

His hand reached out and held Amani's, both clutched around the hilt of her blade. At their touch, she could feel their warmth, their kindness. "Don't destroy the shrine, my love. Don't destroy me. You are my everything."

"Am I not yours?"

Amani charged ahead in a last-ditch effort, bolstered by Maeve's purging light. She didn't even dare to look until she felt her blade pierce solid matter. When her eyes opened, she saw that face again. Alicio.

"Amani... Why don't you love me?"

Amani gasped, like the air was stolen from her lungs. Deep down she was still rational enough to know it wasn't truly him. But the sight, the sensation, were all too real. Illusion or otherwise, there was nothing easy about acting out the murder of your beloved, "Y…You…"

"You're not him-"
It was as though she were convincing herself of that as much as him. The mirialan closed herself off to it again, looking away as she thrust the blade into deeper, to finish the job. She couldn't bear to look, lest she falter in this most crucial of moments.

Last edited:
Alicio's eyes filled with tears. "No, Amani, please."

But it was too late. Her lightsaber drove deeper into his gut, striking against the altar. Smoke filled the air, though not with the scent of burnt flesh, but ash. Alicio began to scream, first in the sound of his own voice, and then something else entirely. The hands on Amani's transformed, turning into claws, digging into her gloves, and his eyes melted into black pits. His mouth gaped.

"How dare you," said the shade. "Amani Serys. Maeve Linahan. This is not over. I will come back, and I will make sure you—"

The shadow was abruptly cut off when another lightsaber came crashing down on the altar. Maeve's, ice-cold blue, shattering the stone clean in half. She had made her way to the other side once Amani had pierced the shrine, if only to finish the job.

"I always do hate when they monologue," said Maeve, staring down at the smoking remains of the spirit's tomb. Inside, a now bisected skeleton laid, dressed in dark robes, and although they were just bone, a black liquid seeped out onto the floor, as if it was spilled blood. How the long dead Sith managed to resurrect from the grave, she had no idea. The Dark Side was a pathway to many abilities some considered… unnatural.

She glanced over to Amani, offering a weak smile. It was then she noticed the red on her side, a gash left by the spirit's last attack, trickling to her waist. Her eyes widened. "By the Force," Maeve cursed. "Are you alright?"

The sound of his voice crying out made Amani flinch, but she didn't open her eyes until the sound distorted into something unnatural. The bastardized form of Alicio unraveled, revealing its darker nature. But for all of the shade's cursing, it couldn't stop Maeve from finishing things off. The Sith was seemingly destroyed, at last.

Amani tried to laugh at Maeve's comment, but the sound was stifled by a whimper. She knelt down and covered the wound, but her reaction wasn't out of physical pain, "…I'm fine," The mirialan said in a soft voice, her eyes glassy. The Sith was gone now, and so she let her facade break. Seeing Alicio in such a manner had bothered Amani more than she initially revealed.

The wound began to seal up magically, as her hand was placed over it. Blood still stained her clothes and palm, but otherwise she would be able to push on, if with a slightly awkward gait, "Let's just get the hell out of here, huh?" Amani stood up and recomposed herself, even offering a faint smile, "This place sucks."

Maeve was not unaware of the fracture in Amani's eyes. The emotional, as much as physical, pain that she felt. They had both gone through a terrible ordeal and it was going to take a lot more than a few bandages or a night in the temple infirmary to fix. They were going to need rest, a bit of meditation, and probably a few glasses of hard spotchka.

Recomposing herself as well, Maeve stood by Amani and offered an arm for her to lean on. "You don't have to ask me twice. Believe me, I know."

She traded her smile, then looked up to the cracked ceiling. A streak of sunlight was pouring through now, the icestorm having lifted, now casting the shattered altar in a warm, golden halo. The Sith had been defeated. The temple cleansed. Given time, the weight of the Dark Side would lift, and it might even become the site for a new, future Jedi enclave.

Just maybe not one Maeve would find herself touring anytime soon.

"At least now we can add Scipio to our list of planets to never visit again," she said and strode on towards the shrine entrance. It would be a painful descent from the mountain, but nothing either of them couldn't handle. "Come on. I know a good outpost cantina we can stop for drinks. My treat."

End Thread.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom