Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A New Beginning

GAPostBreaker.png

Mood Music

The door to the droid scrapping area slid open with a hiss as pressurized air was released from the seals, a soft mist lingering in the doorway from the warm interior and the cool, wet outside air intermingling. The chamber beyond the door was lined with a wide assortment of droid parts; everything from R2 units and WED maintenance droids to defunct medical droids and even the rusted torso of an ancient B1 Battle Droid from the Clone Wars centuries ago.

Dozens of workers moved about the area, some pushing carts full of scrap metal, others toting cutting torches and wrenches. Cailen scanned the room for a moment before his face lit up, letting out an excited laugh.

"Over there," Cailen said as he gestured to a young Rodian who stood by a workbench, examining the remains of an R2 droid.

"That's Baatu. Come on," he said as he moved to meet his friend.

Baatu turned to Cailen and pulled him in for a hug, and the two exchanged a few words in Rodian. Cailen turned and nodded at Ko; the Rodian did the same before giving Cailen a look of mistrust. He said something else to Baatu in his native language, something that sounded like pleading. The exchange carried on for several moments before Baatu let out a surrendering sigh.

Cailen turned to Ko, a gleam of excitement in his eyes, and said, "Ko, this is Baatu! He's one of my best friends and he's amazing with droids. He says he'll talk to his dad for us, we just have to wait for his shift to end." The younger boy beamed.

He turned to Baatu, and said something else in Rodian. Baatu extended his hand to Ko and nodded sincerely, indicating his willingness to help the boys with their task.

"In the meantime," Cailen interjected, "we should get these over to the foreman." He withdrew the energy couplings from his bag, their small metal casings flashing beneath the overhead lights. Baatu's eyes widened as he began speaking very quick and excitedly to Cailen. He seemed to be asking all sorts of questions about the couplings.

"Yeah, in that old A-wing I got," Cailen said as he handed the couplings to Baatu, who curiously inspected them before passing them back.

"I told you I knew what I felt when they brought it in," Cailen prodded. But Baatu merely looked at the boy, then flashed his eyes to Ko. Cailen quickly changed the subject.

"Right, well, Ko and I better get these to the boss," the boy said. "Thank you, Baatu!"

Last edited:

kwzlsmL.png
As he and Cailen entered the droid scrapyard area of the station, Ko enjoyed the warmth that engulfed them both. He wasn't used to the colder damp weather on Anaxes yet, and the was grateful for the warmth. He wasn't even aware of how cold he had gotten on the trip over here until the heat began to thaw him out. Apatros wasn't usually either cold or overly hot, the constant cloud cover from the dust coming from the mines kept an abundance of sunlight from reaching the surface, making it cooler than in the past, but the clouds also created a greenhouse effect keeping the warmth from escaping. The net result was like everything else on Apatros a bland mediocre hardly changing environment. Anaxes might not be a paradise world, but at least it was interesting.

Looking around the droid scrapyard as Cailen and his best friend chatted in what he assumed was Rodian, Ko took in the impressive space. While to the casual observer it would look like a mess of disassociated droid parts, Ko could see the order. He wasn't sure how either, given that he had zero experience with droids, but he knew. Each pile was organized into the usefulness of the parts, which were in ready-to-use order, what needed work, and then what was scrap to be melted down. After that, they were again broken down into what seemed like which parts could be used in what droid model. It was an efficient system. And from the feel of the parts, he could tell a great deal of the system was set up by Batuu.

"It's nice to meet you," Ko said as Cailen introduced them to each other. The Rodian didn't look impressed with Ko at all, and while he didn't feel any direct hostility, he could tell that, unlike Cailen, Batuu didn't trust him. Ko didn't blame him, trust should be earned by deeds, and Ko planned on proving that the trust that Cailen had immediately given him wasn't misplaced. "This place is impressive Batuu, I don't know much about droids but I can see the care you put into finding the best parts."

As Cailen explained that Batuu, despite his mistrust of Ko and his motives, was willing to help, Ko's heart swelled with gratitude. "Thank you for talking to your dad Batuu," Ko said sincerely, trying to show how much he appreciated his assistance in his voice. He completely doubted that he would be able to do any of this on his own, he needed guidance, assistance, and education, and he could feel these two boys had some of those things and were willing to give their support.

As Cailen mentioned 'feeling' the value of the A-Wing, Ko couldn't help but take note. He had never met another person who described knowing something was important in the same way that he had. The miners would say they had a good feeling about a certain vain in the mines, but that was more guessing and experience. When Ko felt a part of the value of something he needed it wasn't from seeing it or knowing from experience, it was something from deep within whispering to him, pushing him in the right direction. Maybe Cailen would understand? Maybe when they were alone again he would try to find a way to ask about the feeling h had to see if Cailen would open up. For now, though he would just follow the younger boy's lead.

"So," Ko started hesitantly as he followed Cailen to find his supervisor. "Besides being the best scrapper on the planet, what else do you do around here?" Ko himself had had very little time for fun back on Apatros, but he still found some time to relax and have fun, and he had to wonder what there was to do here besides find parts and build a ship. He wanted to build the friendship and make it more than just them creating Ko's escape.

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen gave Baatu an appreciative smile and thanked him for his help. Baatu nodded in return and waved to the boys before busying himself with the thruster of a beat-up R2 unit.

"I knew Baatu would come through," Cailen said to Ko as they left the droid station.

And in more ways than one; Not only had Baatu agreed to get information about the Alliance’s views on building custom starships, but he also stopped Cailen from saying too much in front of Ko.

”The less Ko knows about the second sense, the better,” he thought to himself.

The boys stepped out into the gentle mist of rain that had befallen Anaxes Station. The colorful neon signs that hung above the doors of the station’s many departments cast colorful hues through the lazily drifting droplets of rain. Cailen pointed to an orange-tinted sign that was emblazoned with the most recognizable symbol in the galaxy - the Galactic Credit.

"Over there," Cailen said, directing Ko’s attention to the building across the courtyard.

"The foreman I report to has an office inside."

As they walked through the crowd, which had thinned some as people moved to get out of the rain, Cailen answered Ko’s question.

"Oh, I’m nowhere near the best,” he replied.

"The top kid around here is a real jerk, though. His real name is Destin, but everyone calls him Midas because he always gets the best ships.”

Cailen made a disappointed face, seemingly troubled by Midas’ success, but he put on a smile as he continued. He thought about the days when he and Baatu shared a workstation.

"Before they set Baatu up in the droid shop, we used to play together all the time,” he said in a reminiscent tone.

Tag, hide-and-seek, board games - the two did everything together.

"It can be hard for us to meet up now that he’s on the station all the time, so I usually sit on terrace at home and watch all the people.”

As the pair neared the door beneath the orange sign, Cailen turned to Ko and smiled, giving his bag a little pat.

"I can’t wait to see the look on their faces when I show them these!” Cailen said excitedly.

Ko Zan Ko Zan

Last edited:

kwzlsmL.png
"Batuu seems like a really good friend," Ko said as they walked back out into the cold. Ko got the distinct sense that Batuu didn't really like him, but was willing to help just because Cailen had been the one asking for help. Still, Batuu was helping Ko make his dream come true, and no matter what his father had to say it would help. Information was something Ko was distinctly lacking on this planet. The people, the customs, the laws, everything was new and different. He needed to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible if he was going to survive. Cailen had already shared so much, and the more time they spent together the more Ko was learning. "You have to teach me how to say 'thank you' to Batuu in his language."

As they moved through the misty air and wind, Ko found himself reflexively wrapping his arms tighter against his body trying to hold onto the heat that he had gained while in the droid shop. He would need new clothes as soon as he could afford them, maybe a heavier jacket. He hadn't even thought about the change in weather he would experience by coming to another planet. Apatros was always warm, and so far Anaxes seemed to be colder than he was used to enduring. No matter what he would learn to adapt.

As Cailen began to describe his rival in the scavenger job, Ko couldn't help but smile to himself. HE knew the feeling but suspected that while they were rivals, and Cailen couldn't stand this Destin, they were much more friendly rivals than any of the miners had been towards him. Still, if he could help Cailen, maybe this would be a good way. "Well, no matter how much this Destin manages to find, he isn't a better person than you," Ko said honestly. Cailen was an amazing person and proved it with each passing moment with all the things that he was doing to help Ko, his family, and everyone else around him. "Maybe I can help you with your salvage work and we can crush Destin and maybe give you some time to spend with Batuu."

"I'm sure your supervisor will be really impressed with your find."
Ko knew he would be, Ko himself was impressed with the find. It wasn't easy to find working and effective parts in old ships, Ko could see from around them that most of these ships wouldn't have useable parts in such good condition. He had a hard time believing that Cailen wasn't the best around here.

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen smiled at Ko’s request. He had lots of fun learning Rodese from Baatu and his father. They greatly appreciated Cailen’s interest in Rodian culture, and he thought that Ko could gain some ground with Baatu if he knew a few words and phrases in Rodian.

"Wknuto," Cailen said in Rodese. Before Ko could ask for clarification, Cailen explained:

"It means ‘thank you’."

The door to the foremen’s offices slid open, hissing steam into the courtyard. The interior was a large room with kiosks and terminals lining the walls, most of them occupied by scrappers and salvagers eager to register their finds in the Alliance’s requisition database. In the center of the space were half a dozen metal benches, intended for those waiting in the queue to sit down; Instead, four of the six benches were crowded with metal bins full of capacitors, recycled fluctuators, heat sinks, and other assorted scrap.

Cailen smiled brightly at Ko’s compliments. It was nice to hear someone rooting for him. Baatu had always been in Cailen’s corner, but it’s undeniably rewarding to have someone who’s not in your inner circle lending their support. Maybe Cailen wouldn’t have to be so careful about his second sense after all…

Cailen led Ko passed the terminals to a door on the far side of the room. It slid open as they approached, but Cailen stopped in his tracks when he saw Destin standing on the other side. He was older than Cailen, taller and stockier too. Years spent clambering about the scrapyard made him strong, and the money he made from pulling in the most valuable ships on Anaxes meant he never skipped a meal either.

”Well, well. Find anything good out there?” Destin said condescendingly.

He folded his arms, standing in the center of the hall to prevent Cailen and Ko from passing by. Cailen sighed, scowling at the larger boy.

"Nothing you need to worry about, Destin," Cailen said, the animosity apparent in his voice.

Destin let out a deep chuckle, though it was obvious he didn’t find Cailen amusing. Tormenting him was fun in itself. The larger boy leaned close to Cailen’s face and grinned wolfishly.

”Why so hostile? We’re all friends here, right boys?” Destin said, as two other young men walked up behind him.

The trio were definitely trouble; Cailen may have been able to outwit or outrun Destin alone, but with his lackeys there, the younger boy wouldn’t stand a chance. But Ko’s presence gave Cailen an edge of confidence he normally wouldn’t have had.

"Move, Destin. My shift is nearly over and I need to turn in my stuff," Cailen said sternly.

Destin unfolded his arms and began cracking his knuckles, trying to intimidate Cailen and Ko.

”What did you say… Freak?” Destin instigated, putting emphasis on the insult.

Cailen winced at the sleight. Ko could tell it hurt him, and that Destin knew as much.

”Word ‘round the station is you found some pretty nice couplings this morning.”

Destin paused for a moment, a wide grin on his face.

”I want them,” he demanded.

Ko Zan Ko Zan

Last edited:

kwzlsmL.png
So Destin was just another bully, not just a rival of Cailen's that was a better scavenger, but a bully that had likely gotten his position among the scavengers not by actual hard work and skill, but by praying on the weak. Just like Kroger back on Apatros, Destin used any advantage of either his size, strength, or position, to intimidate and take whatever he wanted from those that were weaker than him. Typical, and just like Kroger, this Destin had a group of weak-minded fools that were willing to follow him for the scraps that Destin left for them. Maybe that was this Destin's real weakness, besides being a coward, he needed to rely on his minions to do the actual dirty work. By himself, Destin was no match for Ko, physically they were pretty on par with each other, even if Destin was a little bigger, but Ko could feel that he was much quicker and certainly smarter. He just needed to separate Destin from his crew.

"Cailen," Ko started allowing a smug smirk to appear on his face filling himself with confidence and attempting to look unworried by these bullies. "I thought you said that Destin was a good scavenger, not a petty thief that needs his buddies to help him steal from others."

Ko ignored Destin, especially as he looked up at him with a sneer, and took a moment to scan the two that had joined him from behind. They both had similar builds to Destin, lean muscles built from the hard work of scavenging the ships outside, but unlike Destin, they didn't feel have the same predatory look. They seemed to be deferring to Destin, allowing him to direct them rather than taking the initiative at their friend being insulted. They both looked over at him waiting for him to tell them what to do. Good. That was what Ko was hoping. Time to see how loyal his friends were to Destin.

"How much does this guy pay you to help him steal from others like Cailen here?" Ko asked directing his question to the two minions. "Must be pretty good, especially since Cailen tells me Destin is the top scavenger around here."

"Shut your mouth," Destin snapped at Ko, his anger definitely flaring to the surface as he looked back at his buddies, making sure they were still on his side, before glaring back at Cailen and Ko. "This has nothing to do with you. I want what's mine, or both of you will get a serious beating."

"What's yours huh?"
Ko said still keeping his tone light and casual and his eyes and smile smug and mocking like the entire situation was no big deal and Destin was beneath him. Ko needed to get this jerk to get really mad and say something stupid. His goons were already looking at each other confused by the situation and just needed a push in the right direction. "I know for a fact that my friend Cailen here found everything in his bag and didn't take anything from you," Ko stated matter of factly, making sure he made eye contact with Destin's friends and ignored the bully as his nostrils began to flare with rage.

"How much work do you actually do? Or you just go around claiming everything others find as your own?" Ko could tell that Destin was getting ready to order his friends to attack, he just needed to be pushed a little more. Before that happened, Ko needed to plant the right seed in his thug's head. "He cut you guys into his scheme?" Ko asked the two as they started to look frustrated and slowly got angry themselves. "Equal partners and all?"

"Shut the griff up,"
Destin snapped, not realizing that he was about to make a big mistake. "Guys," he started sneering at Ko and Cailen with a small amount of glee appearing in his eyes while his lips curled into a cruel smile, thinking he was about to make a big payday. "Take this loudmouth out, I'll deal with the freak."

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen was completely caught off-guard by Destin and his goons in the foremen’s hall. It was just his luck that the biggest bully on Anaxes Station would be here, but how did he know about the energy couplings in the first place?

Then he remembered holding them up in the air when he found them, trying to show them to Baatu. Someone must’ve seen him flashing them around, and word got back to Destin. Cailen swallowed hard as Destin demanded his find, knowing well that the older boy usually got what he wanted. And if he didn’t, well… that’s what the goons were for.

As he moved his reluctant had to the bag with the couplings, Ko spoke up.

"Cailen, I thought you said that Destin was a good scavenger, not a petty thief that needs his buddies to help him steal from others."

His words were true, but the truth can often land you in a heap of trouble on Anaxes. Cailen’s face flushed. He turned to Ko, a pleading expression on his face.

"What are you doing?” Cailen said through clenched teeth.

"Are you trying to get us killed?"

But Ko didn’t let up, pushing Destin more. The bully ignored Cailen, his attention - and anger - fully trained on Ko.

”What is he doing? We’re done for now!” Cailen thought to himself as the two larger boys exchanged heated words.

This wasn’t the first time Cailen saw another kid stand up to Destin, but no matter who it was that held their ground, the result was always the same: a broken nose and useless scrap jobs for days, even weeks, on end.

”Take this loudmouth out, I’ll deal with the freak,” Destin commanded, ready to make his move against Cailen.

The younger boy took a defensive stance, unsure of how to fight but determined not to just let Destin pummel him. Just as things were on the verge of escalating, a friendly face appeared in the hall behind Destin and his lackeys. Cailen’s foreman.

”What the hell’s goin’ on here?” the foreman belted.

He was a middle-aged Abednedo of large build, likely from his years as a scrapper before his tenure as a foreman. His face was worn and scarred, but kind nonetheless. Though, at that moment, he was quite perturbed by the boys’ intense encounter in the hall.

”Foreman Sental?” Destin said, visibly deflated by the older man’s presence.

If there was anyone on Anaxes that Destin didn’t bother, it was the foremen. Even he wasn’t dumb enough to get on their bad sides. Many of them had connections in the Alliance, making them fairly powerful people relative to the scrappers and merchants on-world.

”I asked you a question, boy,” Jarux Sental pressed, glaring at Destin.

”I… I was just welcoming the new guy to the station,” Destin said awkwardly as he extended his hand to Ko.

Cailen mouthed the words ‘thank you’ to Jarux, who simply returned a single nod and waited expectantly for the older boys to shake hands and clear out.

Ko Zan Ko Zan

Last edited:

rUot1wr.png
Ko couldn't help but sneer at Destin, as the older man, who Ko guessed was the foreman, approached the group and hauled the fight just before it had a chance to begin. He had been hoping for a little more time to play with the bully. While he knew he couldn't take all three of the others by himself, not even if Cailen had joined the fight, he knew that with more time even during the fight itself, he could use his words to drive a wedge between Destin and his friends. He was almost sure that the goons were not as loyal to their leader as everyone assumed, and maybe with the right push he separate Destin from his minions, then he would teach Destin to leave Cailen alone. Still, it was probably better for now that the fight hadn't happened now. At least this way Cailen got to keep the parts he had discovered and turn them into the Alliance. Ko knew though, that this wasn't over, not by a long shot. Ko had pushed Destin too far, struck too many nerves, and Ko could see in the other boy's eyes before he turned to the foreman the anger that was burning beneath the surface.

"I… I was just welcoming the new guy to the station," Destin had started when the older man, foreman Sental, had demanded an explanation of the situation. The man probably knew exactly what was going on, but had chosen to give Destin and his buddies a quick way out. He guessed it had more to do with kindness towards Cailen, wanting to spare him retribution for getting them into trouble with the Alliance, than any sense of compassion for the bullies. Maybe he was right, maybe Ko shouldn't have antagonized the other boy, but something about him reminded him too much of Kroger. Ko knew that the only way to deal with bullies like Kroger and Destin was not to back down but to stand up.

"Some greeting," Ko muttered under his breath, just loud enough that Cailen and possibly Destin would hear, but not enough, he hoped, to reach the adult that had joined them. He was an antagonist, not stupid, and knew enough not to make the foreman change his mind about helping them, or worse make things difficult for Cailen.

"Thanks for the welcome," Ko said at his normal volume as he tried to fill his voice with an approximation of genuine friendliness. He doubted that Destin of the foreman would buy the act, but it was enough to cover his butt if anyone tried to say he was trying to start a fight, "It was nice to meet you and your friends, Destin, look forward to seeing you around." Ko couldn't help himself and gave Destin a cheeky wink as he and his goons sulked off to wherever they hung out. He knew the moment they were away from the group they would be planning revenge, Cailen and Ko would have to be prepared.

"Thank you for your help Sir," Ko finally said after Destin and his friends were gone. "I really appreciate it."

Cailen Corso Cailen Corso

Last edited:

GAPostBreaker.png

"No thanks needed, son," Foreman Sental said with a kind smile.

"That bunch is gunna cost me thousands of Credits one day, I swear it. Anyway..."

The Adebnedo's gaze shifted to Cailen's bag, a knowing look in his eyes. He always seemed privy to the boy's treasures, even before he revealed them. As if on cue, Cailen's hand withdrew the couplings and held them for the man to inspect. Sental's haughty chuckle confirmed their value.

"My, my," Senal said as he took them, dwarfing the devices in his massive palms, "these are nearly pristine!"

Cailen beamed, flashing Ko an excited grin.

"I knew you'd like them!" the boy said.

"Oh, I do. I do indeed. Yes, these are worth quite a few Credits, my boy."

"In fact, I'll need to appraise these in my office and round up for buyout - why don't you lads take the rest of the day off, yes? Enjoy yourselves for a while and come back by the end of next shift."

Ko Zan Ko Zan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom