Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Hunt to be Remembered (Character Intro)

The jungle planet called Felucia, it was supposedly one of deadliest planets in the galaxy. Along with that title, Felucia was/is home to many, many deadly predators. Predators the likes of which are never seen in large numbers. Yet on Felucia, there seemed to be many of those predators. Theide had heard all of this from different places and different people. However, rather than be fearful of such a planet, it only served to have Theide want to go there. For if such predators lived there, then it might be a challenge for Theide in his hunt.

That was the reason why Theide found himself here, on Felucia. To get here, Theide had to borrow a ship from his clan, and have himself be dropped off, by himself. Theide had decided to be dropped off in the jungle, but near a little settlement.

Theide was sitting on a tree branch overlooking the settlement. His camouflage hiding from view. He was looking at the settlement. It was small, but big enough for a few buildings. Among those buildings as a cantina, that just so happened to be next to a small spaceport. Taking note of the area, Theide decided to visit this cantina. While confident in his abilities to be able to hunt down almost anything on this planet, he didn’t know where those things could be.

Theide jumped down from his perch and deactivated his camo, then made his way towards the cantina. He’d ask around for some info before leaving. Cantinas are well known for that after all. So, entering the establishment, Theide made his way to the bar and spoke to the barkeeper. Said barkeeper seemed slightly nervous, something about Theide seemed off to him, but he wouldn’t comment.

Theide- “Barkeeper, I am in search of information.”
Barkeeper- “What kind of info sonny.”
Theide- “I want to know the information of the location of predators near here. Can you help me with this? Along with this, I’d be interested if anyone wants to go hunting here.”
Barkeeper- “I can’t give that info really. Maybe some of the patrons here can though. I’ll send them your way if they're interested or have info.”

Theide nodded his head in thanks before ordering a drink and making himself to a nearby table. Sitting down, Theide looked around the cantina taking in the sights. He’d wait there until for anyone to come to him to give him some information.

OOC
All welcome! New character, not in a faction yet and one hunt to be remembered!

Searching for his family members proved to be more difficult than finding a needle in a hay stack. The tipp that someone hired at least one canid crew member for a hunting trip to Felucia sounded more promising than many other leads he had followed before. Thus, the scout hired with a group of people who had the intention of hunting down some of the dangerous wildlife themselves. This was the kind of job people naturally perceived the wolfman qualified for.

The ship landed near a small village consisting of little more than a few hunts with an improvised spaceport, a cantina and a fence surrounding it all. Their leader, a grim Mandalorian everyone just called 'Captain Rook', decided to have their base camp in the cantina and take their trips from here on. This suited Ronak's plans perfectly fine, as the cantina was the most likely place to obtain information about other hunting parties and possibly the Shistavanens he had heard about.

Standing up from the table the hunting party occupied, he turned to talk to the barkeeper, as his eyes caught the sight of a massive warrior clad in armour. His sensitive ears overheard their conversation, as he moved closer. As the warrior gazed around, apparently eager to find someone able to answer his questions, Ronak decided to address him. "Perhaps he can give you some answers you are looking for", the wolfman growled pointing in the direction of the hunters having come with Captain Rook and in particular the Captain. "We are here for a hunt."

Without waiting whether [member="Theide"] would take his advice, he turned to the barkeeper. "I have a question for you, friend", he growled stressing the last word wishing to show friendly intentions. As usual the barkeeper gave him a look which told the Shistavanen that he had heard the growl and read it as a threat without caring for the words he spoke too much. "Have any wolfmen been around here lately?", Ronak asked caring still whether the other felt intimidated, but unable to do anything about it. The barkeeper stared at the wolfman for a few moments, before nodding finally. "Yes, there were two looking like you." Before Ronak had the chance to ask the question, the barkeeper snarled: "They headed to the jungle a few days ago. And good riddance. Distroyed half of my inventory in a fight! Don't you dare start anything like that!" With those words the man showed him a rifle he kept within gripping range under the counter. Well, that explained his hostility at least. "Thank you", Ronak tried to keep polite and prove the difference between himself and those others, but without much success at convincing the angry barkeeper.

Turning back to his hunting party, his eyes searched the large frame of the alien warrior [member="Theide"]. After all, the Shistavanen was curious about him.

Theide was surprised by the quick response. He had expected to have to wait around for a while before getting a response. So, he was glad that that wasn’t the case. Theide had noted the hunting group when they entered, and was intrigued to find Mandalorians here. At first Theide wondered which clan they were from, but then shook himself out of his thoughts when the wolfman approached. He listened to what he had to say and was going to ask a question when the wolfman turned away from him to speak with the barkeeper.

Nodding his head in thanks, Theide began to walk towards the Mandalorian hunting group but stopped when the wolfman started up again. Theide listened in on what the wolfman was saying. He heard the growl of a sentence and noticed how the barkeeper(bartender?) barely noticed the words. The tale the barkeeper told was interesting. So interesting in fact that Theide turned to the wolfman to reevaluate him. He studied the wolfman and wondered about his kind. If 2 of them could cause as much damage as the barkeeper was claiming, then perhaps they would be worthy prey.

Regardless of that, Theide stopped observing the wolfman and made his way towards the Mandalorian group. He was keenly aware of the wolfman observing him. Stopping once more, Theide tilted his head forward in partial thanks towards the smaller being, and then came in front of the hunting group. There, he asked the same question he had the barkeeper.
“Su cuy’gar vod. I’ve been told that you may have the information I need. That information is the location of predators near here. I wish to hunt them, regardless of what they may be.”

[member="Ronak"]

As the large warrior [member="Theide"] approached the laughing and loudly chatting group of hunters, they paid him little heed. However, when he spoke up, silence fell among the men and women of the group and their eyes turned to a man in his mid-fifties with a grizzled face marred by scars - their Captain Rook. With the trained eye of one who had seen many a combat the leader of the hunting group took in the stranger, his armour, weaponry and demeanor. He could tell a hunter and killer when he saw one.

"Listen, friend", he stressed the word slightly sarcasticly. "We have only just arrived here a few hours ago. If we knew the locations of predators, we would not be sitting here idly, but be out there taking them down!" Some of the crew cheered at that. "First, we have to track the beasts and for tracking we have that one" - he pointed at the Shistavanen who approached the group after his discussion with the barkeeper. Then the Captain leaned over the table, focussing his stare on [member="Theide"] , while his tone became more serious. "You look like an experienced hunter and are welcome to join us in the hunt. Our employer pays per hunter, so I would rather have a good fighter with me. What would you say?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Ronak returned to his group that large alien warrior [member="Theide"] had already approached them and started a discussion with the Captain. The option that he might join them sounded interesting - not only did he look like the perfect person to enforce any hunting party, but also was the the wolfman curious about him and his species, never having met a humanoid of such size and with such a distinct type of smell before. The scent told about his wild life style, the lack of fear in the individual and his assurance of his own skill and strength. This warrior was a force to be reckoned with and they could be lucky to have him on their side, when all the native fauna and flora of this planet would do their best to bring them down.

When the Mandalorians fell silent and looked to one warrior, so too did Theide. He looked down at the man and listened to what he said; eyes narrowing slightly at his tone. The others couldn't notice though, because he had his helmet on. Then he turned his head towards [member="Ronak"] observing him once more. After that he turned and listened to the rest of what the man said. Theide considered his options at the offer; after a moment he decided.
"Very well, I will join you friend. Though I expect to keep what I kill as trophys. I am ready to leave whenever it is called for."

Just then a man came over to the group. He looked like a local, one who knew the lay of the land. Before speaking, he looked over all of them; he noted their weapons, armor and other things. Nodding to himself, he then spoke up.
"I have heard from him" pointing at the barkeeper, "that you seek the predators of this planet. I would advise against doing this, you will most likely die. However, if you are so hell bent on death I can tell you the nearest area with all kinds of predators." Theide nodded at that, "It will come at a price though." At that, the man turned to Captain Rook, stretching his hand out waiting for payment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once the man was paid, he'd tell tehm.
"There is a hunting ground due east of here. It's about 7 miles away from here. The area is large, and has many predators there. Ranging from Rancors to Aakleys. Along with that, there are other predators that pass through from time to time. You may get "lucky" and find something bigger."

With that said, the man turned around and walked off with his payment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If he's not paid, the man will simply shake his head and walk away without saying anything else.
[member="Ronak"]

The whole group's attention was focussed on [member="Theide"], as he replied: "Very well, I will join you friend. Though I expect to keep what I kill as trophys. I am ready to leave whenever it is called for." Captain Rook smiled a crroked smile: "You can keep whatever you hunt down and kill, no worries, as long as you help us in bringing back the amount of beasts we are supposed to deliver - dead AND ALIVE." Before he could anything to that statement, a stranger approached them. Two of the hunters were placing hands on the handles of their guns for reasons of precaution. The stranger however did not pay them any heed, as he stated his offer.

Captain Rook laughed briefly: "We are definitely hell bent on death, but we rather deal it to others than be on the receiving end. That is why I will surely take a good advice, if you have one and I am willing to pay. But given that I do not know you, I will pay you half in advance and half once you led us there or we return and know that the tipp was good." The stranger took his money. "I will get the other half from whoever of you returns - I won't go out there myself." Turning around he stalked to the dark corner where he had been lurking before and observing the customers.

Captain Rook turned to Ronak: "You heard him, Wolfy. You think you can find that spot." The wolfman's ears twitched in irritation at the nickname, but he still calmly nodded in response. "Sure. We have the general direction, once we are close enough the predators that are not airborne should leave tracks. We'll have to watch out for the plants and anything flying in the air though." A rodian hunter from the team sneered, petting a rifle lying on the table before him: "No worries, Wolfy. We'll watch your back!" Then, the attention went back to [member="Theide"], as the captain asked: "So, what is your expertise in hunting: tracking, trapping, killing from range or close distance? Just to know where to put you in a team. We will have to bring some beasts dead, but others are to be caught alive. Those are more dangerous to handle, but much better paid."

Theide nodded his head in thanks, glad that he could keep his kills. At the alive bit, Theide smiled beneath his helmet. The bigger the challenge, the better. Then he listened as the leader of the mercs spoke to the native. Not caring about the money, Theide looked away and towards the group. He looked them over, noting what their weapons were. If he was to work with them, he wanted to know their fighting styles.

After he noted their weapons, Theide turned to face the wolfman and the captain. He had listened the entire time, but turned to face them at the time the rodian hunter spoke. Looking to the wolfman, Theide muttered under his breath,
“Wolfy, huh.”

Aside from that he didn’t comment on the nickname. Then turned towards the captain when he asked him of his expertise. Theide chuckled to himself in his own special way (sort of clicking with chuckling).
“Expertise? I can do all of that and then some. If you just let me do what I need/want to do, those beasts as you call them, will be under our control or dead. I can do anything and everything needed. Payment is fine either way; alive or dead, I’ll get it.”

With that said, Theide turned on his heel and made his way through the group. He walked towards the door, already prepared to start hunting. He didn’t wait for the group in the slightest. Just walked straight past and to the door, there he stopped shortly to look back at them.
“Well, are you coming or not? We have a hunt to complete and beasts to capture or kill.”

With that said, Theide walked out of the door.

[member="Ronak"]

As [member="Theide"] repeated the nickname, the wolfman just snarled: "My name is Ronak, but some fail to remember that!" At that he gave a pointed look in the direction of the Rodian who grinned briefly before turning away as his grin started to fail. The Shistavanen scout then listened intently to the response of the warrior regarding his skills. Either he was very good or much more sure of his skills than was good for him.

As he just went out with the words: “Well, are you coming or not? We have a hunt to complete and beasts to capture or kill.”, the hunters stared after him baffled for a moment, before Captain Rook's command sounded: "That is a man I like - acting insted of talking and drinking. Come on, lads, follow his example and get moving!" No one needed more than a second to grab backpacks and equipment which had been readied under the table or behind it.

Ronak shouldered his backpack and rifle, while vibro-knife and blaster pistol had always been ready at his belt. As the scout his position was at the front of the group and he would not be bothered with carrying heavier equipment and cages as some of the expert trappers and hunters who would turn to action once they reached the actual hunting grounds. As Ronak stepped outside the cantina, he could already see [member="Theide"] several paces ahead, not turning around but heading to exit the small cluster of huts forming this village.

As they all followed in his wake, the scout speeded up his steps to get level with [member="Theide"] such that they were both several steps ahead of the rest of the group. As soon as the burnt out space of the last hut's surrounding ended, the jungle greeted them with all its noise, smells, spores heavily in the air. Predators were only one concern on this planet, its vegetation was another. If they were not careful to choose the path wisely for the whole group with equipment they would never get to the joy of hunting. With the vegetation being so dense, the use of speeders or others vehicles was out of question - all transport had to be made on foot, unless they could manage to capture and tame a gelagrub which was adapted naturally to moving in this world and could carry people and equipment.

Theide was already walking ahead of the group, he had heard the wolfman give himself a name, but hadn't commented. Instead, he simply walked out and out of the village. Shortly after that, Theide noted that the hunting group was following him. Then, Ronak came up next to him. At that, Theide turned his head to observe the wolfman. He moved with sureity of purpose, and as a man who knew what he was doing; though it seemed something was distracting him. Perhaps it was those two wolfmen that he had mentioned in the bar. However, it might just seem like that to Theide, he was never a good people reader. Deciding to find out, Theide spoke up while walking.

"So then, Ronak was it? What's your story. Why are you here, with people like them." Glancing over his shoulder, Theide pointedly looked at them, before facing forward again. "You said you were looking for some other wolfmen. May I ask what for?"

The entire time, Theide was walking forward, deeper into the brush. He walked so that the people following would have some measure of success in following, though by no means would it be completely easy for them.

[member="Ronak"]

When [member="Theide"] addressed him with his questions about his background, Ronak turned his head in estonishment. Rarely did people bother to ask for his story. More rarely they seemed genuinely interested as the warrior in front of him did now. "I left my home to find three of my pack - my mother, elder brother and sister - who have disappeared on a mission. An incomplete transmission breaking off mid sentence is the last we ever heard of them. So it took it upon myself to go and find them. Having hired with mercenaries they could now be anywhere and I try to follow any lead which could unite me with them again. Which is the reason why I am here with them." Briefly, he glanced over his shoulder towards the group of hunters with a pointed look. "They are my means of getting to this planet and hopefully off again. If the two the barkeeper told me about are from my family, I want to find them. The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack my people use to say."

Curiously, he eyed the warrior walking alongside him. "I have never met one of your people. Are you here for the thrill of the hunt or some other motive of personal importance?", Ronak finally asked. A smell however made him turn his attention away from the other pathfinder. Checking out a suspicious looking mushroom, the wolfman pointed to make [member="Theide"] aware of it. "This one looks like it could shower us in spores any time. We should take the detour avoiding it. Better to be safe than sorry. The group won't be as agile as us in dodging a possible attack. What do you think?"

When [member="Ronak"] spoke, Theide listened. It was certainly a curious predicament the wolfman found himself in. When he spoke of his family, Theide listened carefully. He nodded his head to what the wolfman said, family was very important. If they were in fact one and the same, then it would certainly help to be on the look out for them. Theide tensed up a bit though when asked about himself. It was a semi-well kept secret about his species, thanks to Clan Mortui. Deciding to give half the truth, Theide spoke. It was only fair, since Ronak had revealed his reason for being here.
"I am here for the hunt. In my culture, the hunt is everything. To go anywhere, one must hunt bigger and bigger game. The harder the target is to kill, the more renown one gets. That's one of the reasons why I am here, to hunt difficult prey. I heard that this planet is one of the deadliest places in the galaxy, not only for the animals, but the nature intself."

It was at that moment that the wolfman stopped and pointed out a specific mushroom. Theide scanned the plant with his helmet, and came back positive. The thing was poisonous and acidic, and would prove deadly to anyone not armored. Theide nodded his head in agreement with what the wolfman said, agreeing that they should go around, but then stopped. Looking around, something was in the trees near them, though Theide couldn't tell what. Theide clacked lowly to himself(see signature) and looked at Ronak.
"There is something near us. I can't tell what though, what do you smell?"

Then Theide turned to look at the mushroom once more, perhaps it would reveal something. Taking a step forward, Theide stopped suddenly. The mushroom plant had opened up slightly, as if waiting, and at the same moment some sort of clacking was heard from the brush. At that, Theides shoulder cannon swiveled around searching before finally stopping on the mushroom.
"Something is tracking us, if we take a detour, then it will delay us too long." At that, the shoulder cannon powered up. "I say we go through."

Once that was said, the shoulder cannon fired 3 blasts at the mushroom. It was completely vaporized, leaving nothing but some acid on the ground, and broken something from the plant. Theide turned to look at Ronak then, and possibly the rest of the group if they had caught up.
"The mushroom's out of the way. I suggest we continue, we're almost there. however, be on the look out. Something is possibly tracking us, or at least following."

Theide then looked around once more and clacked to himself. Then he began making his way forward once more. The entire time, his shoulder cannon swiveling, searching for targets. So too was Theides head, he was looking around, hoping to see something with his infra-red vision.

[member="Ronak"]

The importance of the hunt and proving oneself with stronger and stronger prey was an attitude, Ronak could perfectly understand, as it was widely spread among his own people as well. Although he personally perferred the hunt for knowledge to killing creatures, he had still grown up and learned to be a scout and hunter to hold respect for [member="Theide"] and his people.

The warrior scanned the mushroom and agreed with his first assumption that it could prove to be a danger and should be avoided. His connection to the force warned him of danger lurking here, but whether this originated from the mushroom or a creature which had picked up their tracks and stalked them by now he could not tell, as he was not well-versed enough in the ways of the force. [member="Theide"] seemed to share a similar danger sense, as he said: "There is something near us. I can't tell what though, what do you smell?"

Concentrating more than before on enhancing his senses and perceiving his environment, the wolfman now clearly discerned their scents from the background collage of odours that jungle full of plants and beasts created. Now, he could pick up the acidic smell originating from the suspicious mushroom, the musky smell of rotting leaves, the aroma of different mushrooms and possibly their spores. His ears twitched, as he caught the sounds of their group several metres behind them making their way on the jungle floor, the sirl of the wind in the leaves and between the stems of shrooms. And then beyond all that, he heard another sound - the swirling sound of insect wings - not the small ones of a mosquito but far larger ones. The thick foliage of leaves and mushrooms however blocked their sight completely to be able to see this creature.

The clacking sound from the brush, made the wolfman bare his teeth and snarl quietly. "Something is tracking us, if we take a detour, then it will delay us too long", Ronak heard his comrade say, before the wirring sound told about his shoulder cannon powering up. "I say we go through." The Shistavanen barely had enough time to cover his snout and face, before the mushroom exploded and acid sprayed in all directions. Whatever was out there, now every predator in the vicinity knew that they were here and where to find them.

[member="Theide"] pressed forward, while Ronak was not so sure, if hurrying would help. The group carrying the equipment would always be slower than the two scouts with their light equipment. "We should look for a place which we can defend well. If something is tracking us or even if it wasn't, before it became aware of us now, we should try and meet it in a place where we have the tactical advantage", the wolfman suggested to the warrior. If he was from a people of hunters and had as much experience, as he had told him, he would possibly be even better than Ronak at choosing a good place for a fight at their terms.

Before following his comrade, Ronak turned around to wave to the group and turned on the comm to briefly warn Captain Rook of the beast stalking them and the need to be prepared for a fight. This brought a few steps of distance between him and [member="Theide"] , as he heard a change in the air, the sound the wings had changed and now a splinter could be heard in the tree top above the warrior. "Down!", was all he could shout, while firing his blaster at the Felucian Ripper, as the beast dove through the trees to snap at the warrior's head whose trained reflexes would hopefully save him from harm.

The acid from the mushroom had sprayed onto Theide, though it hardly affected him. his armor was more than enough to keep him safe. A side effect of the aside though was that smoke now came from his armor. It no doubt made for an intimidating look, but could provide a nuisance in the near future. Theide stopped when Ronak began to speak. What he said was true, perhaps it had been a bit rash to destroy the mushroom the way he had. Well, it was in the past now; and one can't change the past, only the future. That is why he stopped and looked over his shoulder, already he was several paces ahead of Ronak. It was at that moment that Theide heard rustling and a flutter of wings, before a shout of "Down!" was heard by him. It was then that Theide saw the Felucian Ripper appear. It was going straight for his head, attempting to snap his head off.

Upon seeing it, Theide gave out a loud guffaw, no doubt it would be heard by Ronak. The ripper came straight for his head, perfect thought Theide. As it swooped down, some shots from Ronak hit the ripper, distracting it slightly. It was then that Theide spun to the side. He was out of the way of its dive, but that's not all he wanted to do. As it swooped past him, Theide reached an arm out and latched onto the ripper. It screeched at that, a loud and piercing cry. Then it flew up into the foliage of the trees. Quickly Theide was out of sight from the ground. Not being idle, Theide clambered up onto the neck of the creature. There he grabbed onto it's mandibles(I think it has those from pics) and yanked it back towards the group. The Felucian Ripper let out another cry while turning back to the ground. On the way down, looked around, then Theide stabbed his large wrist blade into its neck. The stab severed its spine and killed the ripper instantly. Then it simply fell faster to the ground.

It took less than a moment for it to arrive back on the ground. It crashed through the foilage and slammed into the ground between Ronak and the hunting group. Noticeably the Ripper had Theide standing on top of it, with his wrist knife stabbed into its neck. Upon hitting the ground, the creature slid a foot or so before coming to a stop. Once it did though, Theide pulled his blade out of the rippers neck. He then used his blade to cut off one of the mandibles and clipped it to his belt. A trophy for later. Then he looked up at the ones near him and shook the blade clean of blood.
"That was inconvenient." Theide growled out.

At that, Theide retracted the wrist blade and looked around. Then he focused on Ronak.
"You spoke of finding a place with a tactical advantage. I saw a clearing over there." Theide pointed to his left. "It had a slight hill in the middle. One which we could use to easily defend ourselves. What say you?"
It was at that moment that a roar was heard in the distance. It sounded awfully similar to a Rancor. "I suggest a choice is made quickly."

[member="Ronak"]

That [member="Theide"] had the guts to jump onto the Ripper's back and fly off with it, actually took Ronak completely by surprise. So it did the rest of the group who had been so far away that it looked as if he had been grabbed by the beast and taken off into the sky. Thus, their shock only increased, as the death cries of the mortally wounded beast sounded above the forest and seconds later it came crashing down through the foliage.

As the warrior jumped off the carcass and took his trophy, Captain Rook clapped his hands three times showing his respect. "Look at that, lads. THAT is a good hunter!" As [member="Theide"] shook the blood off his knife, several hunters stormed forward to take the dead body for later scavenging of useful body parts to sell on to their employers. The smell of blood was omnipresent filling Ronak's nose completely. And so it would be perceived by any predator or scavenger in the surroundings.

As [member="Theide"] told them about the clearing, Ronak's neck fur was already standing on end. His connection to the force made him sense the danger already before the roar of the Rancor made everyone aware of their predicament. "To the hill! Quickly!", the scout and the Captain shouted almost at the same time - staring at each other in surprise for a second, before turning towards the direction, [member="Theide"] had indicated. Every second counted now.

"Lead the way! I cover the flank", Ronak howled loudly to be heard by [member="Theide"] despite the commotion created by the hunter group shouting and turning to run with their carcass and equipment. Greed was what drove them after all. They would not let go of their gain.

As the wolfman ran towards the right flank which was closest to the direction from which the roar had come from, the sounds of not just a single large creature but several became audible. If the Rancors turned to stampede, they stood no chance. Ronak's thoughts were moving at lightning speed, as he thought of a way out of their predicament. Running towards the men carrying the dead carcass, he cut off half a wing with the vibroblade. As some were crying out in protest, Ronak just snarled back: "Do you want to get out of here alive to still enjoy your money or die here with the whole carcass? This will distract them!" No one talked back after that - not that Ronak would have cared, if they did.

With desperation and the force speeding up his steps and jumps, he made his way through the jungle while cutting the wing to make it bleed more intensely. The intention was to create a strong smelling distraction to draw the rancors away from the group and buy the others the time to get to the hill and prepare for the fight. From the sounds of roars, is plan seemed to work - the rancors changed their original direction from following the group to following him instead. Fine, now he just had to find the right measure between the others reaching the hill and him getting away from the rancors. Keeping up this extraordinary speed and the concentration required to not crash into anything or trip along the way was impossible for much longer, so he needed a decision quickly.

A mushroom "wall" solved this for him quickly, as he could barely stop in time to not crash into the acidic neighbourhood of the shrooms. There was no better place for dumping the wing. Placing his knife back in the sheath, the Shistavanen then turned to run in a curved line to avoid the rancor group towards the clearing and the hill the others should have reached by now. "Wolfy, where are you?", came the exasperated voice of Captain Rook on the comm. "Coming to you! Rancors will follow soon", the wolfman panted, as he ran at full speed on all fours to make his way without losing his balance. Behind him he heard the rancors' screeches as they fought over the wing.

As he could already see the clearing come into sight, he heard the first cries of beasts wishing to continue the hunt and following his tracks. The sight of his comrades who had formed a circle up on the hill made Ronak's hope to make it it out of this alive increase. Several were pointed in his direction, at the edge of the forest where the rancors would appear in the next half minute. Finally behind the battle lines, he yanked his blaster rifle off his back and prepared to make his stand in the second line.

Then, the first of the rancors broke through the line of the mushrooms and trees of shots were hailing on it from the hill.

Once the Rancor made its presence known, both Ronak and the captain called out the same thing at the same time. Theide clacked in amusement upon hearing it, before looking as well. Then Ronak howled out "Lead the way! I cover the flank" and so, Theide did exactly that. He easily ran ahead of the group, and only just caught on to what Ronak was doing with the carcass before seeing him disappear. Chuckling once more, Theide continued on his way, easily arriving to the hill first.

Once there he quickly looked around, and once the captain and his hunters arrived, pointed out some positions that would be good for cover. There wasn’t much, but it was better than nothing. The men quickly set up positions, and then aimed around. It was then that Ronak came running up to the group. However, Theide wasn’t there, a fact that Ronak might notice.

Once the group was set up, Theide had slipped past them all and into the jungle. No one had noticed, they were too focused on getting ready for the beasts. Theide made his way to the nearest large tree, of which there were many, and climbed it. He then climbed higher, to one of the bigger branches that was on a level near the top of a Rancors head. Making his way nearer, Theide watched in surprise at the multitude of Rancors that were charging towards the little hunting group. Then a vicious grin crossed his features. More trophies to be had then.

With that thought in mind, Theide jumped onto the second Rancor that came from the clearing. It wasn’t the first, and it certainly wasn’t the last. The one in front was already being shot at by the hunting group, but from what Theide could see, it merely shrugged many of these shots off and kept charging. It was starting to hurt, but before long, it most likely would be amongst the group. That though wasn’t Theides immediate concern, what was his concern was the Rancor he was on top of.

Said Rancor was roaring in anger and tried to spin, hoping to knock Theide off. However, that move only served to thrill Theide. He stabbed his wrist blade deep into the Rancor and held on for dear life. The entire time the Rancor spinning with its arms semi wide open. While not fully extended, it was enough to hit another Rancor or two right behind it. This caused them to grow angry with one another, something that Theides Rancor steed failed to notice.

The 2 other Rancors charged the first, and caused a back log of any others that may be charging. Theide smiled behind his helmet. This was a hunt that would be remembered for a long time. Then shaking off his thoughts of the future, Theide came back to the present. There, he jumped from the second Rancor (one he jumped on) to the third Rancor and stabbed it in the head as well. At the same time, he used his shoulder cannon to shoot at the fourth Rancor.

The Rancor he had jumped on initially roared in anger once more, so too did the second one. Both now had large wounds in their necks. The third Rancor, well it’s face used to be prettier. The creature was still slightly alive, but the over heated plasma had melted the rest of it. So, deciding to end its misery, Theide jumped onto it. There he stabbed repeatedly into its neck, aiming to sever the spine. This proved to be too much for it. It slowly fell over, whether dead or simply in too much pain was a matter for later debate.

Theide was now on top of another creature, similar to a few moments ago with the ripper. Now though, he didn’t have enough time to try and take a trophy. He had to keep fighting for his life. Because at that moment both of the two Rancors turned fully on him roaring in pain and anger. Then his day got worse, because from behind him came another Rancor. It roared as well before charging. It though ignored Theide, instead it went towards the hunter group as well.

Theide roared back at the Rancors. Then he charged the nearest one. The entire time he was shooting his shoulder cannon. He hoped that the others could deal with their Rancors and wouldn’t leave him behind. Focusing on the present, Theide leapt forward roaring once more at the Rancor.

OOC:
Sorry if that might be a lot of Rancors. You said stampede, and I always think of those having a ton of creatures. So, stampede of Rancors=A ton of Rancors. xD

[member="Ronak"]

As the first of the rancors fell under the onslaught of blaster fire and slugs, the next ones followed. These seemed to have formed a group of approximately 15 - 20 beasts the first of which were already after their leading one running out into the open. They as well were greeted with blaster fire and slugs. One of them at the edge of the forest seemed to behave quite strangely, spinning around and buckling as if trying to drive something off its back. Only when concetrating harder, Ronak could make out what was going on and at first could not believe it. [member="Theide"] should have been here with the hunters, but he could clearly make out the large hunter on the back of the beast. "Don't fire at the one at the forest edge", he hwled loudly to be heard beyond the blaster fire. As he gained an overview of the situation now, he realised why the rancors had stormed at them so violently. There were two much smaller ones now running alongside another one outside the forest. Gaining those alive and bring them in for taming would be a jackpot. Captain Rook noted it shortly after and gave the command for capturing them, when the Shistavanen scout was already on his way out of the camp, briefly growling "Roger. On my way, Captain." into the comm.

The hunters were quite deadpanned, as they finally realised as well what [member="Theide"] was doing. While [member="Theide"] was quite effectively wreaking havoc among the rancor group, Ronak circled the field of battle and made his way toward the young ones, whose mother rancor was desperately fighting off the giant warrior piercing her neck with his blade. The disoriented and fearful younglings trying to get away from the scene which drive them in Ronak's direction.

Reaching out to them with the force, he first gave a quick dominating command "quiet!", which made the two young rancors slow down in their tracks and whimper slightly. Now, he turned to a more gentle approach of connecting with them, calming with the use of the force while he spoke in a quiet voice which was quite out of place on this battle field. The first one was more susceptive to this manipulation and drew closer to the scout, while the other felt unsure but followed its sibling out of habit. Two chunks of dried meat out of his belt pouch were quickly gulped down by the pair and the first one was trusting enough by now to sniff Ronak's hand for more. "Good, my friend. Come here. Don't be afraid! I will not harm you", the wolfman growled softly in his native Shistavanen tongue which came to him quite naturally when speaking with beasts.

Captain Rook held back any fire in Ronak's direction and the first of the hunters made their way to the massive catch and trophies from the herd they had just slaughtered. More than one cheered at [member="Theide"] when they saw him, one or two turned away in something akin to fear of the giant warrior with his uncanny skill for killing. "Well done!", Captain Rook congratulated. "You have earned your trophies!" Then he turned to another two hunters and pointed towards the wolfman and his two seemingly tame rancor cubs. "Get those beasts in chains!"

It all happened rather quickly. One moment there was an entire stampede of Rancors rushing the hunting group, and the next they were dead or dying. Theide remembered fighting, and causing havoc amongst the Rancors. However, he didn't quite remember all of it, aside from the original moments. It was all in the heat of the moment. The fight was over now though, so Theide decided to grab some trophies from his kill(s). He cut of the two largest teeth and clipped them to his back. Then he made his way back towards the rest of the group.

As he walked, Theide smiled to himself, he had bagged another kill or two, and now the rest of the hunting group respected him. Several of them feared him too, if their averted gazes were anything to go by. Then he came near the captain who spoke, so Theide listened. Theide nodded his head, he had earned his trophies. At that thought, Theide patted the ripper mandible on his belt. He then turned and looked at the semi tame Rancor cubs that Ronak had captured. It was rather impressive in Theides eyes, so he made his way there.

As he approached, he carefully looked over the Rancors, ready to react should they attack. Then, Theide turned towards Ronak.
"Good work out there. Especially with these two." Theide glanced at the two baby Rancors then. "Do you suppose we'll continue for other game? You know this group better than I."

[member="Ronak"]

The Rancor cub which had been easier to influence was mainly focussed on Ronak, while the second one turned around as [member="Theide"] and the hunters approached and bared its teeth threateningly. However, it did not attack being too intimidated and imbued with the force influence. Shackling it with two lassos was a trained action by the two hunters and one of them put a manacle around its neck, before it did have much time to react. The second one now also turned around threatened, but Ronak's calming words kept it from turning to fight or flee, rather pressing against the scout it considered its only protector left after its herd had been killed.

"Good work out there. Especially with these two." [member="Theide"] 's words of praise really mattered to Ronak who had seen what an impressive fighter and hunter he was. Although Ronak did not have time to properly assess [member="Theide"] 's work in detail during the battle, except for his first impressive moments of jumping onto the rancor's back and some glances he had caught of him taking down the beasts in the heat of battle. "You were quite brilliant. I am sure, I have never seen anyone fight like that. My brother would consider you his paragon, if he were here", the Shistavanen growled impressed.

"Do you suppose we'll continue for other game? You know this group better than I", the warrior added his question, as Ronak petted the Rancor cub to keep it calm. Ronak cocked his head considering the options. "I suppose that the Captain will collect what they have now and then call the ship to pick stuff up and secure his loot. Then they will decide, if they continue. Possibly, this could depend on you. You are by far the best hunter. The Captain knows and respects that. He will listen to you. If you will go on, they will follow most surely. If you don't, the group has to decide on whether they are content with their earnings or want more."

At the center of the battle site, they could see that Captain Rook was coordinating his hunters to pick up carcasses or prepare them for transportation after having called his ship on the comm and submitted their current position.

When the Rancor cub bared its teeth at Theide, he merely glanced at it, amused. Then [member="Ronak"] complimented him, he tilted his head forward.
"It was nothing.

Theide then turned to observe the hunters as they took the loot and the dead carcasses. He watched as the captain coordinated the hunters, all while listening to Ronak. So, they would respect what I have to say, interesting. Thought Theide to himself. He then turned back towards Ronak.
"Your brother, the one you said would look up to me. Is that the older brother that is missing?"

He waited for a response before continuing. Watching the wolfman for a reaction.
"As for continuing the hunt..." Theide trailed off, there was that clacking again. It seemed eerily familiar to him. "The tracker is back. I think I may know who/what it is.."

Theide turned around in a slow circle, observing the environment, his shoulder cannon charged up and scanning for targets. Then there was the sound of a branch breaking from his left, Theide spun in that direction. Only to suddenly be attacked by a black and blurry figure. Said figure slammed into Theide and knocked them both backwards, into some hunters. The hunters were knocked over, nearly crushed by the two, but Theide barely noticed that. Instead he gave a mighty kick and the figure flew backwards, a blur. Theide didn't even give it the chance to land before he was rushing it.

The figure landed, and stood up, only for Theide to barrel into it. The figure spun in place, and hit Theide, only for Theide to return the hit, harder. Then Theide swung a punch straight for the others neck, stopping just shy. His wrist blades slightly extended, Theide stood there, face to face with another identical to him, minus the trophies. Just like that, the sudden fight was over; it hadn't lasted more than 30 seconds, that's how fast it was. Then Theide laughed, and so did the figure. They stood there, facing each other, laughing.

Then they spoke to each other in their native tongue of Naluch.
"You'll have to try better than that next time brother." Theide said.
"Aye. I nearly had you too. Who are these welps here?" His brother responded.
"Them, their some tag alongs I got for my hunt."

Theide then switched back to Basic and turned around to the rest of the hunters, and specifically [member="Ronak"].
"This is my brother, Natec. He's the one who was tracking us." Theide chuckled at that, placed an arm over his brothers shoulder and led him over to Ronak. Patting his shoulder, Theide waved away anyone who might want to fight. Less than a moment later, they were in front of Ronak again.

"Now, as I was going to say, before I was so rudely interrupted," Theide elbowed his brother in the side at that, receiving a hearty laugh in return. "This is no doubt enough for them. I think I shall leave them be. On the other hand, there is you. You said you have family missing here. I was going to offer some help in finding them, but now with Natec here. We can both help you out. While the hunt may be everything, family is still very important to us."

Natec elbowed Theide back, and slid out from under his arm. Now they stood side by side. Both were the same height, same armor, same everything. Identical in every way, except Theide had some more trophies than Natec did. Theide stood there, happy to be reunited with his brother once more. There was a slight smile to his face, his mandibles slightly spread behind his helmet. A smile that none would see, perhaps only hear.

[member="Ronak"]

"Your brother, the one you said would look up to me. Is that the older brother that is missing?", [member="Theide"] asked him. Ronak bared his teeth in a sad smile: "My older brother and sister both went with our mother and they all have gone missing some months ago. This lost our pack three of their strongest members. As you have seen, my strength is not in fighting", he petted the Rancor cubs head again which eyed him almost adoringly, "and my way lies not on my home planet - that I have realised by now. But I owe it to my pack, my family, to bring back those they need so dearly for support."

As [member="Theide"] stopped midsentence, Ronak pricked his ears. Somehow, he could sense another presence, being stalked, but no actual danger as if a predator was stalking them. What...? Before he could finish the thought, the sounds of breaking branches revealed the movements of their stalker who flung himself at Theide so quickly that Ronak had to react immediately to keep his still unbound Rancor cub from panicking and fleeing which occupied him. But in the middle of a hunters' group he had no doubt that there would be enough able help for Theide, if the warrior needed such support at all. From what he had seen that was rather unlikely.

The clicking sounds the wolfman had heard before from Theide several times indicated that the other was of the same species. [member="Theide"] confirmed this as he introduced the stranger as his brother. Whether this was meant biologically or in the sense of a clan or community was not completely obvious to Ronak, but their behaviour made their connection rather look like family ties. Although he could not make out their features, Ronak could sense their happiness in being reunited and friendly intention towards him. Baring his teeth in a more obvious smile, he responded gladly: "If you could help me track the ones the barkeeper described and find out whether they are my family, that would be brilliant. I have no way of properly repaying you except with what my people consider most valuable: loyalty." Standing proud and upright, the wolfman waited for their response.

Meanwhile, the hunters also bound the Rancor cub Ronak had kept under control until now. Petting it one last time, he told it to stay silent and cooperate, then it would not be harmed. One day, this little beast might be trained as a fighting machine, but right now it still was a baby, although 1.5 metres tall and hungry for meat. Turning to the Captain, he nodded to [member="Theide"] to check his agreement that they would ask for getting their shares paid now, before continuing after the other hunting group with the wolfmen, if they were such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom