Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About a week after her conversation with Gerwald, Alwine had been alone on the ship when a knock came at the door. She accepted the package and signed her name on it, not having expected anything to arrive from anyone. At first she thought the package was a joke, a nearly terrifyingly large stack of papers bound to each other. Was someone trying to make fun of her reading capabilities? Anger rising, Alwine opened the first page, realizing it included a lengthy introduction. The main word that sprung to her eyes was the word Lupine, but she moved on to the second page, anger now mingling with curiosity.

The words on the second page were blurry to her as well, but the one thing she got from them before shutting the stack down was the date. Whatever it was, it was something that was written while Gerwald had been away from Stewjon, and before Alwine and Varick had been taken from it.

Carefully, she unfolded the note that was attached. It was a long note, and Alwine sat down to read it. It began with “To Alwine and Varick, We were meant to meet weeks before your eventual extraction from Stewjon.” Alwine’s hands shook as she continued to read. It took her the better part of an hour before she could understand all the words, and then it was hours before she stopped reading the note again and again and again. It was already dark outside by the time she managed to make herself put the note aside, a hand over her heart to still its wild beating. For once, she was glad that Gerwald was not expected on the ship that night.

Alwine had things she had to do. But first, she hid the package.

Red.png

Now she knew how to spell the woman’s name. It was maddening to her that despite her improvements with reading and writing, she had still not managed to come up with a version that even resembled what it was supposed to look like. Too damned many letters. To make things worse, she had spent an entire day with a droid in the Knights Obsidian HQ, trying to find any mention of the name. Yet just as with her badly spelled variants of it, nothing came up. There had never been a woman by that name anywhere in the files, at least the ones that her KO rank gave her access to. Did Alwine require higher access? She did not know. And with Caid gone, she had no one she trusted enough to ask.

Red.png

But during the festival on Hypori, that had changed. While he had not meant to, Gerwald had introduced her to Scherezade, who apparently now went by the name Madalena Antares. She had given her full name, and Alwine could sense that something was off. She had denied knowing a Scherezade, had acted as though she did not know her brother.

And while Alwine had said nothing to Gewald about it, it made sense. The note that she had received had ended with a “by the time this reaches you, I will no longer exist.” It was an odd phrasing, but Alwine had taken it as though she meant she’d killed herself. But obviously, the girl by the name of Madalena was the same girl that her brother had fallen in love with despite his claims and bad choices.

The rest of the letter had made thing more personal, more personal than her brother would be able to guess. Alwine knew she would tell him when she herself was ready to. She loathed keeping this from him, but now was hardly the time, especially when he was so under the claws of the auflaque. For all that she loved him, his insistence on remaining with the Breaker of Packs and the Would be Queen Only of her Family, it made Alwine trust him less. She prayed that this would change, and sooner rather than later.

Armed with the new information, she returned to the files of the Knights Obsidian and the Confederacy.

Red.png
It had taken several days before she’d cracked it. There were dates there, a huge list of them, of people that Madalena had met as part of her work with the Confederacy. Alwine had carefully memorized the names of those that kept popping up during missions, the names of those that kept popping up during diplomatic events. And she also noticed their dates. She had to work out of the assumption that Scherezade became Madalena around the time that she received the package. There were many dates mentioned that were around the time between Gerwald’s leaving of Stewjon and Alwine and Varick’s extraction of it.

And at last, Alwine had a list of possible candidates.

The first three wo were even within the Knights Obsidian themselves, but when she questioned them, they claimed that Scherezade had left the CIS and good riddance, and when she questioned them about Madalena they had stupid smiles on their faces that made the petite Lupine want to punch them for being such idiots.

The next two too were in the Outer Rim Coalition, which meant that Alwine had no way of getting to them. It was too far. But then there was the Silver Jedi Order… Something inside her whispered that the Silvers were a good place to go. Madalena often acted as a liason between them, and there were official missions that dated back before she got the packages, though none Alwine’s extraction from Stewjon. Still, it felt like that could be it. And so Alwine borrowed a KO transported ship and made her way to Kashyyk.

Red.png
When she at last arrived on the planet, Alwine wasted no time. She marched from the docks to the Rest as though her life depended on it, and did not pause until she was standing in front of their receptionist, a big bag lumped over her shoulder.

“Greetings,” she said to the receptionist, standing up straight so she would reach her full 5”0 of height, “I am Alwine Lechner, representative of the Knights Obsidian of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. I am hoping that Jedi Master [member="Josh DragonsFlame"] is within, and that he is available for an urgent meeting to discuss an old friend.”

The receptionist at the Rest's equivalent to visitor center would greet Alwine with a polite bow of her head. A presence could be found from her, one that indicated she was strong in the Force, and had likely been with the Order for a long time. She was older, with black hair that was beginning to show it's grey, with speckles hovering over a slightly freckled face. This receptionist had wisdom behind her eyes, and it was a possibility she was there to assist with the Archives as well, likely specializing more in the foundation of knowledge than being out on the field swinging around a lightsaber like a Josh DragonsFlame or a Yuroic Xeraic.

The woman studied Alwine a moment when she would request the presence of a certain Jedi Master. Her presence was not hard to tell for the observant woman, but she seemed to decide that if there was a problem, the Battlemaster was fully capable of disposing of any threats. They were in the Rest after all, and most of the Masters knew that he wouldn't let anyone make trouble even in the same building as his child.

"The Master Of The Order? Of course. I will see what I can do" She spoke politely as she began to work on her datapad, before opening the com channel that the Master Of The Order had set up for the Silver Jedi Order to contact him no matter the occasion, whether he was training or on a mission or doing anything else. It was a comm network open to anyone with the Silver Jedi Order's credentials, as Jyoti had tasked him with keeping himself open for any complaints or required help within the order.

"Master DragonsFlame? An Alwine Lechner is here to see you. She claims it's urgent."

---------

"Of course, I'll be down shortly."

Josh was still adjusting to this new role within the Silver Jedi Order, but he figured he'd been adjusting smoothly so far. He hoped, anyway. He had pledged to do all he could for the Silver Jedi Order, and it wouldn't befit him to fail in his role when he wanted to do well. But paperwork of this magnitude was still something he was getting used to. It wasn't too bad, seeing as he shared the load with Jyoti. And he was a bit better at it than he was when he was only 20 and Grandmaster with a useless Master Of The Order that did no work and just batched to everyone he could find about not being Grandmaster himself. In hindsight, the Order giving into his wishes after Josh stepped down was a terrible idea.

Josh would then send out a request to the receptionist.

"Can you tell Miss Lechner that I will be down in 10 - 15 minutes? I also need you to page [member="Jyoti Nooran"] concerning Jason, if she is not available than the usual substitutes will do. Thanks!"

Of course the timetable he had given was for him to offload Jason and make his way from his office and down to the visitor's center. Picking up his datapad and putting it away, he would leave his paperwork be for now as the Master Of The Order would get up and walk over to Jason. The child was presently entertaining himself with the lamp that he'd gotten from Madalena for his 3rd birthday, and Josh would place a hand on his head to ruffle his blonde tufts of hair.

"Be good for the babysitter, alright?" Josh asked Jason with a warm smile, giving the child a big hug. Once whoever would arrive to watch Jason, Josh would make his way out of the office and head to the visitor's center. Once he had arrived, he would turn to face Alwine and bow his head respectfully.

"How can I assist you?"

[member="Alwine Lechner"]

There would be a short wait. Alwine nodded to the woman and moved herself to the waiting area. Everything about her external composure denoted a calm woman, but inside of her, she was beginning to grow nervous for the first time in a very long while. Now that she was at last there, now that she was here… All her senses told her that she was close, so very close. And now other thoughts wondered; was she doing the right thing? Should she be here at all? Clearly the message had said that she would no longer exist, but then why was Alwine investigating into the matter?

But to return home as she was would also not be wise. She had thus kept the letter and the package's content concealed from her brother. She wanted so dearly to speak with him about it, to ask more questions, to theorize what and how they would use it. But she could not. To tell Gerwald about this would mean the knowledge would make it to the auflaque as well, and she, would never ever get her filthy hands on this. Gerwald had said that they were no longer sisters, and while Alwine did not know the depths of the why, she understood enough. Even Scherezade had not wanted the package to reach her. And still, by sending the package to her and Varick she had placed the choice in their hands, a choice that Alwine was currently heavily struggling with.

And suddenly he was there. A tall man with blonde hair and eyes that were almost the same color as hers. He bowed, and Alwine offered him a nod in return. She should have checked local protocol to know if it was all right to offer an arm shake or not.

"You are Jedi Master Josh Dragonsflame," Alwine said and paused to swallow dryly. This was her last chance to apologize for wasting his time and leave. Or the last chance to reveal herself, who she was, what she wanted, and perhaps cause an event that could not be undone. "I am Alwine Lechner. I am with the Knights Obsidian of the Confederacy, and I'm…" How could she put it to not cause him to become suspicious? "I'm investigating the disappearance of a woman by the name of Scherezade, whom I believe you are well acquainted with. Should we perhaps speak in a more private place?"

[member="Josh DragonsFlame"]

Alwine Lechner, she called herself. One of the Knights Obsidian. CIS, then. Lechner, Lechner, he knew that name... He'd done research for a specific reason and found that last name... But where...

[SIZE=9pt]"I'm investigating the disappearance of a woman by the name of Scherezade, whom I believe you are well acquainted with. Should we perhaps speak in a more private place?"[/SIZE]

He knew it now. He knew who she was related to. He frowned for a moment, but would quickly keep it in check as he resumed a neutral expression. While he wanted to just answer her here and now, he would oblige her request instead. Leading her up back to his office, he would take a seat. The office was sparsely decorated at the moment, just had the desk and communication set-up. It would likely be more decorated later when he found the time. Once Alwine was seated, he took a deep breath after a few moments to think on what to say.

"I think I know who sent you. Gerwald, correct?" He would inquire. With that, he shook his head. He would keep Scherezade's secret by all means if he could.

"The woman you call Scherezade no longer exists" He spoke softly. "A tragedy of Mr. Lechner's making."

Alwine caught that frown. She said nothing, but that frown confirmed that at least some of her suspicions were true; the Jedi had known Scherezade as Scherezade, and he probably knew more than that if she was to judge. Still, she respected it as his face returned to neutral. They would not be discussing this in the hall, but somewhere with more privacy. Following him, the Jedi and the Lupine made their way to his office. She was not invited to take a seat, but as the Jedi sat down, so did the petite woman.

First question. "No," she answered. Would he know how to taste her words and know if she spoke truth or not? "Gerwald would be livid if he knew I was looking into this and he would probably demand I do not get involved." But Gerwald did not know about the package and the letter that was attached to it. Without his knowledge of at least the letter, he would not understand why she was doing what she was. How long could she keep it from him for before it began to eat at her insides?

And then that statement. A tragedy of her brother's making. Her back remained straight, her chin remained up, but it was all too easy to see that she did not like the statement. Was it her brother's fault? Alwine was more inclined to toss most of the blame on the auflaque but she could not deny her brother's involvement in it even if she wanted to.

"He will not tell me the fully story of what happened between them," she said, "but ever since he saw that auflaque on Stewjon, something changed in him. And while some of the changes are good, much are very bad, and I'm very much inclined to blame the wolf in lamb's clothing. He is not himself, though that does not excuse anything he may have done."

Alwine sighed and leaned a little back in her chair.

"But that is not why I am here," she said, her gaze never wavering from the Jedi, "whatever happened between Gerwald and Scherezade, I am in debt towards Scherezade. I'm trying to piece together what happened, trying to understand. The bits and pieces my brother provided are mostly just confusing, and answer nothing. I have met a woman that was supposed to be her on Hypori but she presented herself as Madalena and her words did not smell like lies. She did not know who Gerwald was. But I need to know who she is. Not Madalena. Scherezade."

She knew, then.

He stared long and hard at her when she revealed the name Madalena in correspondence to Scherezade. She knew that Madalena was Scherezade. She was a relative of Gerwald and knew that Madalena was Scherezade. Brown pupils shrank in that moment as the truth became clear to him in that moment. The blonde haired Jedi would take a deep breath, closing his eyes as he would take a moment to settle himself down. As much as he wanted to yell at her to get the hell out, take her stupid brother with her and leave Scherezade alone, it wasn’t proper for Josh to do so, and he knew this.

“There isn’t much I can tell while continuing to keep promises” He spoke calmly, staring her in the eyes once they were open again. “But I will say this. That woman gave up everything to undo what Gerwald did to her. So she could be happy again. As far as he is concerned… Ensure he leaves her alone. Don’t destroy the happiness she’s made for herself. If he does not know about Madalena... Ensure it stays that way. If you have any respect for her, or any respect to the debt you owe her... Don't make her sacrifices be for nothing."

While she did not specifically notice the shrinking of the pupils, the expression on the Jedi's face was almost impossible to miss for the Lupine. It appeared, for the moment, that her guess had been correct. He had been a friend to Scherezade, or at least someone to whom she mattered for more than a mere mission. Considering his remark regarding Gerwald earlier, Alwine could not help but wonder if at least some dislike would be aimed towards her simply due to being Gerwald's sister. She sincerely hoped that even if there was, the Jedi would be able to see past that. For all her love for her brother, Alwine was not here to plead on his behalf for anything, least of all forgiveness from a person he had not directly hurt through his inane behavior.

"He knows she is Madalena now," she said quietly and sighed, "but it would have been a matter of time if he did not. They are both within the Knights Obsidian and are bound to go on missions together sooner or later. Probably sooner." It was partially her fault. She had berated him, told him he needed to stop being afraid of her and avoiding her. Little had she known at the time that the woman they would be meeting would be the woman he had hurt and not the woman he had hurt, at the same time. Would she have behaved differently if she'd known? Alwine had no easy answer to that. But truthfully, she would have probably behaved the same way in Hypori again, if they had to do that evening all over.

"Is she truly happy?" came her next question, "can one be happy when one does not know who they are? When they are living a lie?" It was more of a philosophical question than anything, really. Madalena did not seem anything like what Gerwald had described of Scherezade. She had seen the joy in the woman's face but… But she had not known the depth of what had happened then. She still did not.

"Who was she?" Alwine asked, looking at the Jedi. Alwine was a hard woman, not prone to revealing her emotions at almost any junction. But the thirst she had for this knowledge, that would have been too hard for her to conceal, even if she wanted, "What was she?" came the next question. "And why are you so certain it was my brother who ruined her and not the auflaque who once called her sister?"

Of course he knew. Josh let out an exasperated sigh at that announcement. That was a problem. Now Gerwald knew and he wasn't sure what he could do about it. He suppose he could kill him and it'd be over with, but... That wasn't how Jedi tended to work. Josh especially. So that wasn't on the table unless Gerwald forced his hand. And who knows how that would ever come about. He did not hold resentment towards this woman meanwhile for it, but she couldn't blame him for not being the warmest he could be toward her... Considering the circumstances.

"Then he stays away" Josh would speak softly. "For if he harms her again, he will not get out of this unscathed" Josh would promise, staring dead into Alwine's eyes. "I am no butcher, but I will protect her if he attempts to bring her harm. You have my word on that."

Is she truly happy? That was a question she asked. "She seems to have questions, but if she is unhappy, she has not betrayed that to me" Josh would admit. With that, his shoulders fell. "She modified her memory. Her memory is full, aside from a loose end or so. She forgot nothing, and I don't even know if her memory can be re-triggered without a certain set of conditions. She may very well have forgotten Gerwald and Katrine permanently... Something that so far seems to be for the best."

Thinking about whether he should trust her with this information or not, he figured that little harm could come from it now. She knew more than was safe as it was. She'd find this out with or without him. The least he could do is keep her within arm's reach in case they tried to pull something.

"Scherezade was Gerwald's lover, Katrine's sister. They both hurt her" Josh would speak flatly. "While Katrine did hurt her sorely, yes... It was the fact that Gerwald's betrayal had tainted every happy memory she ever held, that drove her to her madness. And eventually drove her to cast Scherezade aside in order to save herself."

It was short, not a lot of detail. But it was what he was willing to give. And all that was needed.

"That's all there is to it."

"You may join the long line of people who wish to hurt my brother over what occurred between him and Scherezade," Alwine answered, but made no flinch or showed any sign of embarrassment. Gerwald had done a great deal of wrong, but "however, while I cannot defend his actions in any way nor can I claim that such ill-wishes are undeserved, I will not see him harmed. He remains my brother and I shall stand between him and that line."

It was a quick re-hash of words Alwine had already traded with the demon-twin, Scherezade's brother. Was this Jedi aware of her brother? With what little the Lupine had managed to put together, she knew that not everything had been erased from Madalena's mind, but she did not know what happened or why. For all she knew, the Jedi Master might not even be aware that she knew who her brother was.

And then came what she had a strong suspicion of, had behaved as though it was true, but now with a confirmation; she had done this to herself.

"What do you mean, she forgot nothing?" the petite woman asked with a frown, "she is pretending to not remember Scherezade? What very few words I spoke with her pointed otherwise and I could not taste lies in the through the Force."

Alwine sighed. At the moment, it felt like trying to get the story out of the Jedi Master was going to be as difficult as getting it out of Gerwald. Both men chose to only convey kernels. Much of what the Jedi said, she already knew of, except… Except the bit about tainting every happy memory. She wanted to claw her brother's face out for it, and then she wanted to decapitate the auflaque for it, knowing it was her her effect on her brother that had caused him to behave in such a manner. Her brother had not been a horrible man when they were on Stewjon; she was certain that any negative side of him that came to light now was directly the effect of the woman who would wear a crown over her own family.

"But is she saved as Madalena?" she asked, "her brother besides himself with worry, and her uncle is concerned as well. There is a woman out there with Scherezade's face walking around, smiling about, having Scherezade's abilities, but she is not…"

Alwine stopped herself. No, the way she was going about it was not going to work. With another sigh, she averted her gaze for a moment before focusing on the Jedi again.

"I owe Scherezade a debt that is larger than life," she said. Plain and simple. The very same way she had explained it to Caid and Brayden, "how much do you know of the Lupine race, Master Jedi?"

"I do not wish him harm." Josh would clarify quickly when she brought it up. Josh was not a man that hurt people, even ones he didn't care for. If Gerwald never forced the issue... Then it would never come to pass. It was as simple as that. "You wish to protect him, and I wish to protect her. If our wishes do not intersect on one another, there will never be a problem."

It was as calm and as polite a "Make sure he backs off" as one could make it. He did not know what would lead to Scherezade's happiness... But he sure as hell knew being in the proximity of Gerwald was not one of those things. With the next question though, he would shrug his shoulders. "She didn't forget. She modified" Josh would explain quickly. "Her memories are there, deep down I'm sure. But they have been swapped out for another set. I don't even know for sure if she can recover them, but she seems confident that they will be... When she's ready."

He let out a sigh. He shouldn't be talking to this woman. Gerwald's kin. But he'd at least give what info he could in a way that might get her to ensure that Gerwald never crosses her path again if he could help it. "She cannot be in his proximity" He spoke. "Not now. Not yet. I don't know if he'll trigger her memories or not" Josh would admit. "But she did what she did for a reason. I just hope that you and your family can respect that reason and allow her to help herself in the way she needs to."

She asked if Scherezade was saved, and he shrugged again. "Only she will know" He answered. "Scherezade had a plan. So I'm going to trust her until it's done. And I'll do everything in my power to ensure she gets there."

When she asked if he knew anything of the Lupine though, he shook his head. "No. None. I tried to ask Katrine, but she was as vague as with everything else. Not that her words meant a thing anyway - I could see lies written all over her."

The joy was almost too hard to contain. "At last, someone who knows the auflaque and has a good and healthy opinion of her," Alwine grinned. She loathed Katrine, loathed that the woman had her claws in her brother. "Although I am interested in what sort of lies she attempted to tell you. I have not spoken much with her but her deeds alone are enough to get her to burn on a pyre as far as I am concerned."

This was good. This was very good. If she could not get on the Jedi's good side by merely speaking and pleading her case, perhaps their mutual dislike of the Nightmother would help them bond and show the Jedi that Alwine could be trusted and was not there to convince him to change his mind regarding her brother.

"The Lupine race is a near extinct one," she began explaining, "when Gerwald, myself, and my other brother, were growing up, our mother told us that we were the last. That there were no more Lupines to be found anywhere, and that we had to guard what we were as a secret. Stewjon… It is a horrible planet. If they would have known that we could change our shape into that of a wolf, we would have been branded as demons and burned for the sin of existence. So we grew up in secret, always hiding what we were, and absolutely forbidden from forming romantic or sexual relationships because any fornication that would result in a pregnancy would result in a Lupine. A full blooded Lupine. Our mother's intent was to find us suitable matches, who would not mind their children being shape shifters, and would remain silent on the matter."

But that was not all there was to it. "The auflaque had grown up in a similar fashion. She had been told as well that her family was the last, but she did not have to hide as we did. Her family is also bigger than three siblings, as there are some cousins in the fold as well. She lived freely, travelled the galaxy, and became the Nightmother of the Confederacy, though I cannot claim to understand why because no one in their right mind would follow that woman anywhere.

Personally, I do not believe that we are the last of the Lupines, because of how breeding with Lupines work. However, I have been utterly unable to find any more, and I have been searching. I doubt that any of the other currently known Lupines are searching. But the situation is, there are currently two Lupine families, and no more."

Alwine paused, taking a moment to look at the Jedi. "A Lupine will always be able to scent another Lupine out. When the Confederacy arrived on Stewjon, the auflaque found my brother. He took her to our home, where she caught the scent of my other brother and me, but she just left us there. We knew she'd been there because we could smell her when we returned home from hunting a little later. But she just left us there. She claims she was too drunk, but that had been the night before, when in the morning, she no longer was. And this is a woman who is not only a leader in the Confederacy, but intends on crowning herself as the Lupine Queen, which up until that moment had meant the Queen of her own family and nothing beyond, as there were no other Lupines. That is the sort of woman she is. And it brings me no end of pain to know that she has her claws in my brother and will not let go, even if their actions would tur two families into one."

With a sight, the petite blond looked at her bag. She knew what she had packed in it before leaving CIS-space. Something that she had not even given to Caid or the demon-twin, not knowing how safe it would be there. But the Jedi Master… Perhaps? He was not part of the Confederacy and he did not like the auflaque. Alwine had not known about it in advance, but perhaps her intuition had, once again, been right to bring this here.

"Scherzade knew of the Lupine predicament. I do not know whether it was Gerwald or the auflaque who'd told her about it, but she knew," Alwine said, her voice never wavering, her facial expressions never giving a hint of shame or embarrassment. If there was anyone who was supposed to be ashamed or embarrassed about the situation, it would never be her, "a few days before I believe she became Madalena, she sent me a package, even though we had never met. She had found the key to saving the species; had written that it would ensure that by the time my brothers and I were ready to have children, we would be surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of other Lupines who were not blood related. She wrote that she had originally intended to use it for herself and Gerwald, but after what he and the auflaque had done… And yet this woman, this complete stranger, also wrote that my other brother and I should not be held as collateral damage for the events that transpired. That she was giving us the key, to do with as we pleased. And said that she would never demand payment for it. She also wrote not to look for her, because by the time the package reached me, she would be gone. To me, it sounded like a form of a suicide goodbye."

Alwine leaned back in her chair. "So you see, I owe her a debt that is greater than life. And I do not know how I will be able to repay it. Her brother is frantically searching for his sister, not believing this Madalena for an instant. He wants his sister back. I… I am not entirely sure if that is the wisest thing to do, but I cannot pretend to know. What I am trying to figure out, is to piece the entire story together. What had happened? And who was this Scherezade? What kind of a person does something like this?"

"Don't like her" He answered flatly. Plain and simple. "I don't like liars and almost every word she said seemed to be lying, and trying to cover her arse, and trying to pin far more than Gerwald than what made sense."

He didn't care about telling her that. That was Katrine. Not Scherezade. These were not Scherezade secrets, not things he'd spoken to Scherezade about exclusively. Katrine had not been honest with him, why should he treat their conversation with the honor he would give an honest person? "Seems very full of herself, and while she admits she did wrong, she tries to push down her self-blame as much as possible and deflect as much of it to others as possible. She acts like she only minorly inconvenienced her and Scherezade is acting very unreasonable toward her, while her so called lover apparently did everything horrible and wrong. Sound about right?"

She would go on to talk about some Lupine history and how she and the douche doodle doo were amongst the last. He listened throughout, though would take a moment to note "Not sure why the Confederacy would choose her... One of their own being the world's biggest liar is why the old Confederacy is old and there is now a new" at one point. It was an indicator just how long Josh had been involved with the galaxy at large. But Josh's interest was piqued when she mentioned a package that Scherezade sent her prior to becoming Madalena. "You know, for someone that wanted to forget Gerwald and everything he did so she could be happy, she sure as hell does not seem to know how to keep him and his family away" He commented, but let her finish nonetheless.

Once she finished, he nodded his head, and tried to figure out how to explain who Scherezade was.

"Scherezade deep down is who Madalena is now" Josh would start. "Madalena is who Scherezade is, but lost. Madalena is what Scherezade saw herself as being inside, as what had been destroyed when Gerwald and Katrine betrayed her. Madalena is what Scherezade wanted to return to. But the Scherezade I met was a miserable soul with no good memories of her own. They'd all been with your brother, and Katrine... And they destroyed them. And thus Scherezade destroyed what she had become in order to become Madalena.

As much as I miss the woman I met... I don't want her to return to the way she was again. Not just because I enjoy the company of the woman known as Madalena... But because the woman I met would not eat. Would not drink anything but alcohol to try and forget and dim herself down. The woman who was so paranoid and wound up, she ended up blowing up a porg at a petting zoo just because a child was crying in her arms. She was never happy. She hated her life and everything around her and I am convinced that had she not found this method, she would have killed herself in the end.

That is Scherezade. And now you know why I protect her so. To not do so, is to most likely sentence her to death."

Gerwald was her brother, he would always be under her protection, no matter what he did. And she knew that all his deeds… Were because if the auflaque. He was not the sort of a man to double time sisters when they were on Stewjon. He was not the sort of a man to leave someone he loved suffering and hanging like he had with Scherezade. Her brother had been a good man. Leavin Stewjon was supposed to make him better, but under the effects of the auflque he became something worse instead. She had to find a way to remind her brother of the man he used to be.

And so, she was not surprised when the Jedi said that the auflaque had tried to pin most of the blame on Gerwald. There had been three people involved in the mess at the time, and Alwine's intuition said that there was much that the stupid Witch was to blame for, even if her brother tried to protect her from the wrath of his siblings.

Scherezade deep down was who Madalena is now? Alwine blinked, trying to understand it. There was little she could see that Madalena had in common with what little she had been described of Scherezade. If Madalena was who Scherezade had thought she was on the inside then what… No, it hurt her head to try to understand it like that.

"How could she have no good memories of her own?" the Lupine asked, the confusion clear to read on her face, "she had her brother. She had her life before Gerwald left Stewjon. Was there nothing in that, that she could cling to?"

Not eat? Not drink anything but alcohol? Paranoid? What was a Porg? More questions. How did someone survive for more than a few days in the state the Jedi described?

"How?" she finally asked after a long silence, "how did this all happen? How in all of that dis she decide to save an entire species? What in the same of the gods happened during all of it? Please… My brother will keep entire portions of the story out. But I have to know the truth. I need the full picture. And I need to know what I can do to protect her. I cannot let the person who gave me the key to saying my species just fade."

"That's the weird thing... She claimed that her brother was locked away somewhere, just as her parents were. Back when she was Scherezade, I mean. Now all of a sudden Madalena is talking about her brother being here... Though I've never actually met him" He would admit. "It all seems weird. But... As far as I know, to her, her memories of her family were so long ago that she just can't seem to cling to them like she did with the memories of Katrine and your brother. Their betrayal shattered her to the core, and by what I can tell... She was likely broken beyond repair with traditional means."

He let out a sigh. "And trust me. I tried. I tried everything. I spent long hours with her looking into every lead, trying every tactic, every little thing I could. The lightsabers she has. I built them. I wanted to give her a happy memory to cling to because she indicated she didn't have much to cling to anymore. I wish I could have stopped her from doing what she did, but... I could do nothing in the end. All I can do now is protect her and hope that whatever her plan is, that it works. Because she's given me sparse little context on what that plan actually is, beyond Madalena."

When she asked how she managed to find time in all this to save an entire species, he shook his head. "I don't know" He spoke honestly. "This is news to me too. I knew nothing of her lupine connections beyond Gerwald and Katrine. Maybe one day she'll remember again - when she's ready and not when it's forced - and she'll tell you."

Demon-twin locked away? Parents? Alwine blinked, looking at the Jedi in disbelief. The twin-brother had mentioned nothing of it, and she had not thought to ask where the parents of a young woman were when all this went down. Was this something that had to do with the politics of Endelaan? Was that why they were locked up somewhere? Caid was certain that the demon-twin was Brayden but now… How could she be sure?

She remained quiet as the Jedi resumed to talk. She had nothing she could add there, no words of kindness or comfort to give to the description of a person who, by the Jedi's description, was so shattered that they needed new weapons just to have something to cling to. Alwine had been in a similar situation herself on Stewjon, and her brothers had given her Der Kleine, but… But it was far from being the same. The sword had made her happy, but her brothers had made her happier. She had them to rely on. Where was the demon-twin for his sister to rely on?

"How did she break?" she found herself asking, "Gerwald only told me the truth came out when she was hurt, but he refused to give me any details. I asked him if he knew anything of the relationship the sisters had but he would not answer. I asked him how the truth came about, but he did not wish to tell me that either. Normally, I would not have cared, but…"

Once again the Lupine sighed. "But perhaps I should have. I would have, if I had known about the key and the letter at the time. But in the letter, Scherezade requested that the key not be given to Gerwald or the auflaque for at least a year or two. I believe she didn't want them to have it all if they are together, but that is another thing only she will be able to answer if she ever returns."

"As far as I know, she found herself in some kind of "darkness" dimension or whatever that continues to haunt her still, by her... Grandmother or something?" He answered with a shrug. It was clear that Scherezade had been spotty with the details. "I know she was trapped there for what felt like 500 years or so to her, and when she came out, the first thing that Gerwald and Katrine did was reveal that they would be together and Gerwald had told her that it had "always been Katrine".

Normally he'd be more guarded of this knowledge. But did it matter anymore? Scherezade didn't exist anymore. Only Madalena. And Gerwald would probably tell her the rest eventually anyway, if he knew. "She clearly felt very strongly for the both of them. I think the damage from the betrayal was just too much for her to bear overall. I kind of get it, myself" He spoke. "Earth-shattering betrayals seem to be basically my entire life at this point. So maybe I'm just numbed at this point" He joked lightly with a sad smile. "While Scherezade is still a young girl mentally. She's the equivalent to a young adult, maybe a teenager, who put her everything into something and then was betrayed before she was old enough to get the wisdom to protect herself when it comes.

Granted, I was young too during the first time as well. It took me years to recover. Who knows if Scherezade would have recovered given time and people to support her? We'll never know, though."

When she would talk about Gerwald and Katrine, he nodded his head. "Can't blame her for not trusting them. I'd have thought her fool if she let them near it anytime soon."

Alwine sat stunned. Her face, while usually under her control, looked as though someone had hit it with a bag worth a ton of flour. "Darkness" dimension, being haunted, a grandmother. All of this was entirely new to her. Neither the demon-twin nor her brother had whispered as much of a word of it to her. Did they even know? Either of them?

She had known about it having always been Katrine. Not in that sentence, but… But her brother had alluded to it told her that when he saw her he saw his future. Did not for a moment pause to understand that the future he saw did not include his siblings who had been stranded on Stewjon. And then… Trapped for five hundred years? Something there did not make entire sense to her, but Alwine supposed it was due to her lack of education and training, as were many things. But then that had been the first thing her brother had told her… When, by what he had said, he knew that one of the last tings she had told him was that she loved him. "Gerwald, dos wael…" Alwine whispered.

More pieces of the puzzle. That was what the Jedi had given her. Not many, but… But enough that they obscured the picture even more. Wasn't finding pieces supposed to help? Instead, Alwine felt as though the more she uncovered, the less she could see.

"I do not understand how someone as young as you describe could create a key to save a species," she said at last, finding herself at a complete and utter lack of words as to what was actually going through her mind.

Clearly some of this was new information. Enough to satisfy her somewhat or make her not think this was a waste of time, he hoped. But her next question, as rhetorical as it was... It just made him shrug.

"I don't know" He responded. "Everything about Scherezade is weird. That's all there is to it. There's a lot going on with her and sometimes I feel like I struggle to keep up. But I'd do anything to protect her, too. So I hope you can forgive any hostility. You have a debt to her, I'd hope you're able to understand" He spoke softly. "I'm sorry I couldn't do more for you, though. I've said what I know. Scherezade had a plan and that plan involves Madalena, the lupine and Force knows what else. She left everyone in the dark and the only person who truly knows what Scherezade is thinking... Is Scherezade."

He let out a sigh. "All we can do is wait and see."

She had a plan? He had said as much earlier but… But now Alwine wondered. The letter she had received indicated of no plan that existed. It had sounded more like a suicide. If the situation was meant to be temporary, why was it a goodbye? The bits and pieces that she did have, simply did not add up. None of it made sense to the Lupine.

"What if her plan goes wrong?" she asked genuinely, thinking to go with that direction for a moment, "what if something doesn't go according to plan and she needs help? Did Scherezade leave herself o you a way to contact in case such a thig occurred? Could we sitting on our behinds and waiting while things are going in all the wrong ways?"

"I don't know" He would admit softly. "All I know is that she indicated that this change will not be permanent. Clearly, she had some kind of measures set up... Something to ensure that her plan did not go array. But..." He trailed off. "It's very possible she can't deliver on that. Something I was told recently is that the Force is not something that you tamper with. There's something I heard once... Apparently it was said by a great man. With great power, comes great responsibility. And I know that well. The Force can do some incredible things... But it can also hurt. I've helped and I've hurt. I just hope that whatever Scherezade has done... It will only help.

All we can do is wait and see. All we can do is trust Scherezade."

Josh let out a sigh as he would bow his head.

"I apologize I cannot be of more help" He would apologize softly, his tone remorseful. He had hoped, when she started talking, that maybe she knew a way to help Scherezade... But she was as clueless on the matter as he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom