Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A cunning plan

In orbit of Anaxes

The sound of Constantine's footsteps on the steel floor of the space station echoed in his ears. The young officer had been asked to go the High Admiral's office to discuss plans for a counterattack on Brentaal. He wasn't sure what to expect. but he was excited. To have caught the attention of the most respected commander in the navy already was thrilling. He walked quickly, not wanting to make his superior wait. He'd made some plans, but he didn't have all the information he wanted.

When Constantine reached the High admiral's office, he waited outside to be ushered in. moments later he entered. He stood at attention, giving a salute to the High Admiral.

"High Admiral! You wanted to see me?"

Cassius Callaesar Cassius Callaesar

Anaxes // Anaxes Station // Sector Command Center
High Admiral Callaesar's Office
Constantine Oliva Constantine Oliva

Things had been relatively quiet since the Alliance, then Imperium, was forced to flee the battle of Brentaal to his fortress homeworld. While High Admiral Dracken Pryce Dracken Pryce lead the Defense Force's naval personnel against the Sith Empire, Cassius remained on the home-front to oversee the Brentaal Quarantine Zone and prepare for the counteroffensive that would inevitably come. He couldn't help but feel some envy, but he had full confidence in the abilities of Pryce. With the news of a New Imperial/Alliance victory over Muunilinst and Mygeeto, the tales of his praise were quick to follow.

Although the unspoken jealousy toward his colleague's battlefield glory clouded his mind at times, Cassius knew his role here was equally important. Were the forces from Beyond they had encountered to rally and push out of the Brentaal system, he would be what stands between the reavers of Chaos and many millions of innocent lives.

Within his simple, utilitarian office, the High Admiral stands in front of a wide transparisteel window on the wall to the right of his desk. His eyes trace the outline of a massive star dreadnought floating nearby for what feels like the hundredth time. He would have never imagined being assigned to command such marvel of naval engineering --
Ouroboros; one of the Galactic Alliance's newly constructed Startide-class Star Defenders.

The announcement that his guest had arrived pulls Cassius' wandering thoughts back to the confines of his office. With a simple confirmation that he was ready to the A.I. assistant, the door opens to welcome the Captain into the room.

Cassius turns his head from the window and gives Constantine a nod of his head in response to the salute, "Captain Oliva. At ease."

Turning away from the window to pace back toward his desk, he continues, "Yes, and thank you for coming so quickly."

"Do you recall the last time we met here, Captain? During the evacuation," without taking a seat, he leans forward and begins to type at a holographic key-panel on the desk.

Before Constantine responded, he took in the sight of the enormous Ouroboros, a ship he had seen only a handful of times before. It was a truly magnificent sight to behold each time, as the young captain was always awed by its size. After the admiral addressed him, Constantine eased his posture.

"Yes sir, I do. I wasn't very involved in the evacuation itself, though."

Constantine hadn't been able to do much since he'd taken command of the Hawk. The first thing he'd been ordered to do was help transport refugees from the evacuation fleet and Anaxes Station. After that, he'd been mostly responsible for patrol duties. Both were necessary, but it left the ambitious young captain bored. Him and his crew's first real action had been just a few weeks prior, hunting pirates to support the Botor campaign. His crew performed wonderfully in Constantine's eyes.

Cassius nods knowingly. The Anaxsi Captain hadn't been part of the hideous battle over Brentaal IV, he hadn't been forced to see the terrors that Cassius and the response fleet had. Mutated ghouls flying through the black of space, tearing the hulls of starships with their gnarled fangs and razor sharp claws. However, he had witnessed the devastation it brought. The displaced survivors had been scattered across the station with thousand-yard-stares, in some cases for weeks before they could be relocated to the surface of Anaxes or other nearby planets.

There were still many naval officers recovering from the incident, whether it be physically or mentally, along with the sizable force who'd gone North to fight in the Sith-Imperial Rebellion under the command of High Admiral Dracken Pryce. He'd hoped to have more time, but after receiving news from the Grand Admiral & Minister of Defense that a special project was underway to aid in the reconquest of the system, Cassius feared time was running short.

He'd need every good officer he could get.

"That is no worry, Captain," he waves his hand dismissively, "so long as you recall the situation."

Cassius pauses and draws a deep breath. He was faced with a reality even he didn't want to accept. Deep down, he wished he could just ignore the Brentaal system for the rest of his days. Pretend it didn't exist; never have to return or remember what he'd seen that day. What he'd been forced to do.

But pride was a powerful motivator.

"There has been a new development," he finally says, leaning forward and crossing his fingers while leaning his elbows on his desk, "what I am about to tell you is still classified information. Do you understand, Captain Oliva?"

The young captain nodded his head. He wouldn't tell a soul, unless they had the rank to force him to, of course. But why did the High Admiral trust him, a captain, with such information? And what kind of development would allow them to fight back monsters who could shrug off capital-sized bombardment? He had to know, but he also knew he should not come off as over eager. What ever he was about to be told, it was in the confidence of his superior, and a man who he had more respect for than his own family. Constantine spoke calmly and clearly to Callaesar.

"Yes sir, I do understand. My lips will be sealed."

The High admiral seemed confident, commanding. However, he had minor trembles, momentary pauses. A deep breath, hinting at communicability beneath his officer's natural guise in the presence of their command. Whatever the High Admiral had seen, it had shaken him. Constantine had heard stories from others at Brentaal. Those stories had both made him eager to halt the threat, and dreading facing it. But it had to be done. If new weapons had been developed to end the threat, he was obligated to use them, not just for his own gain, but to possibly save the entire galaxy.

Cassius lets out a mmm as his eyes narrow on Constantine, looking over his expression with scrutiny for any sign of dishonesty. Satisfied, he relaxes and leans back in his seat more casually.

"Very well," he begins, "last month the Ministry received intel from the SIA on a possible item of interest on Caamas. They dispatched a team of operatives on a special operation -- it was all very hush-hush; even I had only been made aware of some details at the time. With the success of their science project, they've had some of the documents declassified for me. Apparently, another rift, albeit a much smaller one, opened beneath the surface of the planet and put them into a panic. The Core Alliance & High Republic's intel agencies teamed up and sent a few early scouting teams in."

The High Admiral leans forward once more, resting his elbows on his desk as he stares forward with a fiery gaze, "Most of them died, but they reported back something that was interesting enough to green light the special op I'd mentioned. Turns out they found a fragment of the Dagger of Mortis."

He shakes his head in disbelief at their luck.

"Something like that is likely the only leverage we'll get, so the SIA and the R&D Branch ran with it. Apparently they've got something that'll be rolling out any day now -- something that could give us a fighting chance against these... things, whatever they really are. All this is to say," he sighs, "I've received word that we'll be pushing the BQZ in the next few weeks. These orders are not public -- we're not ready to break the news yet, but,"

Cassius' eyes wander the room. He knew they were in private, but there was a natural discomfort that came with him knowingly disobeying an order, "but I don't feel right sitting and not doing something to prepare. I need Anaxsi loyalists who I can trust on this. People I know won't go white-faced when we emerge from hyperspace and the lives of millions are on the line. If I can trust you with this, Captain, then I would like to assign you to your own Line for the push."

His fingers drum along his desk in a tripleted rhythm, "This is an opportunity to prove yourself to be very, very useful to the Alliance, and to me."

Constantine listened closely as the High Admiral explained the situation. He raised his brow at the mention of the Dagger of Mortis. He'd heard of it, from his family, but had never believed in its existence. He kept his mouth shut on the matter and let Callaesar continue. As the Admiral's eyes began to wander, Constantine began to realize the real situation. He'd been called here for much more than a simple interview to make sure he'd be ready. The admiral trusted him enough to reveal this information to him, when he may have been told not to tell anyone.

Then, the Admiral made his offer. Constantine was surprised, but also excited. Even with the grave situation that would mark his first command, the captain's ambitious side was hard to keep down. His eyes widened, and he fought to keep a smile off his face. He knew he couldn't let this opportunity go, and he knew even more that he could not betray High Admiral Callaesar's trust. Pride swelling in his chest, Constantine responded.

"High Admiral, I will not disappoint. You want Loyal Anaxsi, and you've got one in me. "

A grin creeps at the corner of Cassius' mouth. It would seem he had correctly presumed the Captain's character afterall.

But saying and doing were two very different things. The ambitious Constantine would have to survive Brentaal first -- they both would. Cassius had witnessed the incursion first-hand. Knowing what they'd face, he'd done his best to come to terms with the possibility of his premature demise.

"Very well," the High Admiral breaks the silence and stands from his seat. He stands for a moment, posture straight as a board, looking down at the much younger officer seated infront of him. Finally, he extends a hand for a firm shake, "I will continue to watch your career with great interest, Commodore Oliva."

A promotion. Constantine Oliva would lead one of Callaesar's Lines through the BQZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom