Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Crash Landing

Well this was problematic. It was highly unlikely, not impossible, but highly unlikely. And yet it happened. A Hyperspace collision. Thanks to forcefields and other safeguards Hyperspace collisions, despite their high velocity and rapid deceleration, were now rarely fatal. But both her ship and the ship she collided with were both knocked out of space. Their trajectories had been nearly opposite so their speed had been almost halted, at least until they were caught by the gravity of the nearby moon, and pulled into it’s atmosphere.

The crash was also non-fatal, but she was knocked unconscious. The moon was forested, covered in trees. And the other ship crashed a few leagues away.

About an hour later, she woke up.

Marina DeVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.

WARNING--IMMINATE DRIVE SHUTDOWN--WARNING

Marina were suddenly shaken from her sleep at the sound of her nav comp and blaring sirens of her drives malfunction....or at least Marina thought it were as she jumped out of bed and scrambled over to the ship's cockpit.

Sure enough the hyperdrives had been taken offline as she stared into open space and the kaleidoscope of stationary stars.
"Shoot...what the hell happened?" She asked looking over the console and holo-graphic displays.
All her drives were off line, including the ship's sub-lights which should have kicked in once the hyperdrives had reached point zero jump by her ship's navigational calculations. Marina had never experienced a hyperspace collision shutdown...such events weren't possible, not for a couple of Millenniums already.
The only explanation that immediately ran through her mind were an artificial gravity well. Imperials!...or Pirates...
Berkana (God) she'd take pirates any day over the First Order.

Be de beep beep...her mech astro droid informed her.

"Seriously?...I can see that!
Tell me what caused it!" Marina's tone held no patience at this moment for she were racing against time trying to get her sub-light drives on line. She were still under the impression that something or someone pulled them out of hyperspace.

De bee beep beep de be de de....

"Are you kidding me? So where is it? what happed to it?" Marina heart beat were racing but was coming down. Her droid had indicated it were what shouldn't have happened. Two ships intersecting the same 3-Diamentional line of trajectory. It should be almost impossible. What, with two ships having nav-comps that should have arced them by a fractional degree light years distant, before they intersected.

"Both our ships took a mirrored diversion?....that's...that's impossible. The freakin odds.."

Be de beep beep... the droid cut her short as it picked up that the Mariner IV had been drawn to a nearby system during it's drift.

"Shoot!..." Marina followed suit, trying to her the ship's sub-lights ignited. But no go. Her ship's system had somehow experienced an overload and were on a cooldown sequence.

"Damn it..." Marina cussed, strapping herself down and taking over the retro thrusters. they were independent of the drives. basically it were for such dead stick reentries.

Managing to angle her ship for optimal reentry, she managed to get through the atmosphere and eventually below cloud cover.

"Oh shiet...oh shiet...oh shiet..." The mariner were dropping fast with the forest below rushing up to meet her ship. She had only one shot in not becoming one huge mess of twisted dura-steel and that were to fire off her retrothusters before hitting ground...

Baraboom!... tree tops, limbs and foliage and dirt flew about , around and everywhere when the ship cut through the forest then ground at a little more speed than normal.
Hey, the Mariner IV was a corvette class...had quite some mass to it than a small transporter.

Be beep.. her asto-meck droid announced they had landed.

Mila Uhlesifa Mila Uhlesifa

Mila groaned awake. Her face was pressed against the cracked ‘windshield’, and she felt the warm liquid that was blood on her forehead. She pushed herself up and onto her knees, and shook her head to wake herself up. The ship was completely dark, and it was nose-down. Her impact with the planet had been very direct, now wonder the windshield was cracked, she was more surprised that her brains hadn’t splattered across the whole thing. Oh well, she was alive.

She checked her pouch, located on her hip, to make sure that her vials hadn’t shattered. They didn’t, they had something soft to land on, namely her buttock, and didn’t have enough wiggle room to actually move fast enough to break, thank goodness, if they had, the consequences would have been her without her lower half.

So she took a moment to recover from the impact, then she worked her way to the exit hatch. And she came out into a forested area. She, seeing the smoke from where the other ship had crashed, began to walk in that direction, not two minutes after she started walking her ship exploded. It wasn’t obliterated, but it was now beyond repair. Maybe she could use the scrap for something, but right now she had to make sure her fellow strandee was alive.

Within fifteen minutes she spied the other ship. And called out. “Hello?”

Marina DeVoe

Billows of fire suppressants enveloped the cockpit. marina was disoriented for the most part due to the sudden impact of ship to earth than anything else.

Her droid beeped about attending to what it calculated to be ship priority damage control. For a moment...maybe three, Marina didn't know how bad she or her ship were, as visibility were nil, like everything was surrounded by thick fog (fire suppressant). But all in all, the fire suppressant soon were exhausted out of the cockpit and she once more could see what the holo-monitors were showing. her ship was still intact and all shorts 9fires) were being extinguished.

"Whew..." a quick check on her person revealed little more than just stressed muscles and ribs. Her harness had secured her well.

be de beep beep...her droid re-entered the cockpit to report all fires were out and that the ship's life support were on backup.

"Back up?.." Marina managed to peer out her windshield as she unbuckled her harness.

"I see trees...greenery... is there not enough oxygen on this planet?"

Be deep .. nope, it were a moon.

"Moon?..."

be deep...yep, moon. A forest moon.
de de beep beep...and analysis indicated, the atmosphere could sustain carbon based life forms.

"You don't say..." Marina whom were still peering out the ship's glass had noticed a Twi'lek making her way over to them.

be be dee beep... her astro droid were certain of it.

"Ok, Ok it's breathable alright. Someone is heading over to us now.
Sigh.... I hope we didn't knock down their house or anything..."she said , before both went to see whom it were.

Marina got over to the main entrance and activated the Mariner IV's ramp-

THUMP!!
-er..it freakin dropped!
The godamn ramp just dropped, with the hydraulic pistons dandling from the top entrance.

Boo boo de... the droid were heard next to Marina.

"No shiet, it's broken...
Sigh... stay here and see if our printer's still operational, then start prioritizing as to what needs to be fixed. I'll go meet our host." She then said, taking a deep breath before going down the ramp.

"Hello..." Marina waved to the female Twi'lek approaching.
"Uhm...sorry for the ruckus...lost power to my ship and kinda came down a little hard...
Say, did we damage anything along the way? I'm sure I can compensate for it..."
She said with sincerity.
marina were under the impression the Twi'lek lived on the planet..er, moon...forest moon.

“Nothing that I didn’t compensate with damage to your ship.” She said softly. “I’m terribly sorry about that. A hyperspace collision shouldn’t have happened, it’s possible but not very likely. I’m really sorry about that. You aren’t hurt are you?”

She gestured back the way she came and said, “I crashed off that way, about fifteen minutes walking. Is your transmitter still working? My ship blew up.”

Marina DeVoe

Sure enough, the dark billowing cloud of smoke above the tree line confirmed the story.

"Is that what happened?" Marina was surprised. She knew her ship had been yanked from hyperspace, but had thought it done on purpose. But a collision between two ships? That hadn't been common for Milleniums, not with advanced early detection technology. Still, what could go wrong eventually will. And for these unlucky two, it had.

"Shoot... I...I'm Ok for the most part. I haven't yet assessed the full damage to my ship. I got my droid looking at the system.
So your ship exploded?" Marina looked at the rising smoke from the forest.

"Were you alone?...or..." The thought of somebody dying in the crash was too difficult for marina to just blatantly ask. But if someone did, then she'd have to see about helping the girl in recovering the remains. It were a terrible thought...even to ask.

"Are you Ok?... I have medical supplies...a medical bay, actually." Yes, she did. And it were used on quite a few occasions.

"Is there anyone that needs immediate attention?" There, a not so tactful way of asking if anyone had died in the crash.

“I’m the only one. No one else was with me.” She said reassuringly. Then she was asked if she was okay, “A little bruised but otherwise uninjured.”

She looked at the appearance of the ship. “I’m an engineer, if anything’s not too badly damaged I might be able to fix it.”

She looked at the Astromech. “If the scanners are still functional, I’d suggest you have him scan for cities or settlements of one kind or another.”

Marina DeVoe

A wave of relief washed over Marina...no one else were injured or killed in what appeared now to have been two navigational computers choosing the same evasive mirrored action to avoid a hyper-speed catastrophe.

But as far as worst case scenarios went, the girl had not been injured, nor had there been some one else injured...just one vessel had been lost.

"That's a relief to know, that no one else were injured.
Still, I'm so sorry about you loosing your ship." She then returned, before looking back on her own ship.

The Mariner IV looked a lot worse for wear than it were; with dirt, debris and just about everything else that it kicked up all over it. But aside from the hyperdrives and sub-light drives that she couldn't get going before, much of the Mariner's mechanical parts were able to be printed right on board.
It would take some time and some good found resources refined, but there was little which couldn't be replicated on her ship.

"My droid...it's name is TK1213 is currently going over the ship and prioritizing what needs immediate attention and stuff.
Please....please let me invite you inside, and see if we can't both get cleaned up a bit before getting ahead of ourselves. " She kindly were welcoming the Twi'Lek in.

"Oh gosh.... how rude of me." she then realized.
" Must be all the excitement." Marina then said as she held out her hand.

"My name's Marina...Marina DeVoe from Alderaan.."

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Marina.” Mila said softly as ever. “And once TK1213 is done scanning I’d be able to help with the repairs so long as we have the resources needed. And if we don’t I can go back to the wreck of my ship for spare materials.”

She politely thanked Marina as she came into the ship. And she asked. “May I be permitted to check the transmitter? If everything else is totaled then we need to get the transmitter working so we can call for help.”

Marina DeVoe

"Please..." She gestured with her hand. " Do step inside..."

She lead the young Twi'lek up the ramp and inside her ship. There were a few items and what nots scattered about. But most of everything in the Mariner IV had been secured and what little had been scattered about were just some unsecured items such as décor...etc.

"TK is pretty efficient as far as prioritizing what will be needed in getting the ship back into full operation. But although we do have a part's printer, putting it all together will require some work. I could definitely use a hand with putting them in working order, yes." Marina replied, so glad the girl seemed unharmed and willing to get her ship going.

"I'll show you where the main antennae array conduits run. I'm sure the few shorts we incurred could easily be repaired and we should get communications up in no time." She then said, thinking now that she had not gotten the girl's name yet.

"I'm sorry... " She stopped a moment and looked her guest over with a smile. "I don't mean to get off the subject, but I didn't get your name."

She looked around, especially at the damaged things that would need repair. Then her name was asked after and she was made aware of rude she'd been in not telling her. "Right. Sorry, it's Mila. A pleasure to meet you."

She looked over the antennae, and looked for the circuit hatch. Once that was located she opened it and began inspecting the wires inside. It was grim. Most of the wires had been ripped in the crash and a number of the receivers had been damaged. It would take a long time to fix it all, and a lot of what was there was now unusable.

"Bad news, the communication circuitry is totalled, we'll need to replace a lot of what was there. I can go back to my ship's wreckage and see what I can scavenge." She said to her new companion. "Unless you have some spare parts ready. Your parts printer could prove useful if it still works. But even do it'll be quite some time before we can call for help."

Marina DeVoe

"Mila..." She repeated her name.
"Would have liked to have met you under different circumstances. But just the same, it's good to know you." Marina smiled as she were at least grateful the girl wasn't hurt.

And by the sound of Mila, it appeared she were quite savvy with mechanical and electronic equipment. She were definitely going to be a big help in getting the Mariner Iv back in the air...and off this system...where ever it were. marina still didn't know where they landed or in what sector even. Such hyperdrive aborts were quite unpredictable as to where one would find themselves, especially with ship navigation on the fritz.

Speaking of fritz; getting their communications up would indeed be a great help in establishing their location and what system they were on. It were like GPS. All they needed was to triangulate a minimal of 3 known system signals and they would be able to position themselves on the galactic map. No comm, no signals, no knowing where they were in the galaxy.

Marina sighed before taking a deep breath, nodding. " I figured as much." She replied looking at the charred communication circuitry and fiber optics.

"The fire suppression system went off, but I think it were too late to save most of the critical components.
But yes, if TK gets the printer-" She were suddenly cut off by no other than her droid, whom came in beeping excitedly.
"What is it, TK?.."

Be de beep be beep...the spare parts printer was functional and should be able to print out what they needed.

"Should?..what do you mean by should, TK? Is it working or not working?" Marina asked.

Bo beep beep be beep beep... it would work once they got the main frame system computer back on line. Currently...it too sustained damages.

"Oh Berkana (God), seriously?"

Be beep...seriously.

"Mila... maybe we should go see what we can salvage from your ship. maybe some components could be found to help repair my ship's main comp so that we can get the printer going and work our way out of this situation.."

“Wow, your computer is fried too?” She asked with dismay. “Well, I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. The crash was pretty bad. We’re lucky enough that your ship survived at all. So yes, we should go over to my ship’s crash, see what we can find. It probably won’t be more than scrap metal or maybe a few unharmed wires. But we shouldn’t expect more than base materials.”

She looked at the Astromech. Then to her companion. “Do you have any backpacks?”

Marina DeVoe

"Uhm..yea. But I think I've got something better than backpacks. I mean we couldn't possibly carry much on our own through the thicket and wood." She replied.

"I've got two speeder bikes down in the hold. They should be Ok as they were properly secured."
Sure enough she did have two bikes in the Mariner IV's hold. It were part of her ship's inventory. Besides, she couldn't very well park her ship in one part of a given town and then use it as a means of transportation in the streets. That was what she had speeder bikes. And this were as a good time as ever to use them here. besides, they were an excellent means of transportation in streets as well as woods, like they had found themselves stranded in.

"Question... you do know how to ride a bike, no?"

“I do, I just don’t have a great deal of experience riding one.” She said nervously. “I can probably get through the woods if I don’t go too fast. Besides, our goal should be efficiency not speed so I think maybe putting them in a power save mode would be prudent, if they have one. If not we should just conserve energy. Practical reasons not to go too fast, and with the added bonus of a reduced chance of me blowing up.”

This last one she put out as a joke mostly, but she failed miserably in making herself any less unsure. She really didn’t trust her skills on a speeder bike. She just didn’t. She had learned a little but mostly she was a stationary person, not moving around much, and the places she did need to go were within walking distance so she was usually fine. If not she could easily hire a cab for a quick round trip. So normally she didn’t drive anything really.

But it was the best option, so she’d just have to be careful. “Where are they?”

Marina DeVoe

"Haha...well, they do have a throttle...along with gyro-repulsive drives. So for the most part, they are very stable at low speeds." Marina replied, not certain if Mila was just joking around or truly reserved about getting on a bike.

Marina had never given flying or speeding ever any thought. Being in accelerated motion, whether flying in a ship or in a land speeder, it had come natural to her. But she did understand that not everyone took to flying as she did. Same as many didn't take to understanding or flowing with what was known as the force. marina herself knew for it to exist, but had no experience in connecting to it. It weren't something she pursued or wished for that matter.

"Come..." Marina closed the conduit chase. "...they are down below in the hold.
You'll see how easy they are to ride."
She motioned for Mila to follow her.

"I'll give you some easy lessons."

Passing her droid on the way to the hold, she gave it instruction in prioritizing in getting the ship's comp on line and assessing what parts and components were needed in doing so. She and Mila were going to see if they could salvage some components from her ship. Doing so would be more efficient than traying to locate raw materials for the moleculizer to break down and refine for printer operation. Her ship's state of the art printer could produce just about anything with any given elements and compounds.

The bikes were replicants of classical ones, once popular on many systems.
Unclasping the magnetic locks, the bikes instantly came on line, rising to hover just a few centimeters off the deck floor.
"Here, just grab hold of the frame or handle bar and guide it out. it's in stand-hover mode and you could guide it out and down the ramp....see." Marina opted not to get on it while inside the hold as the bike then would switch from stand-by to drive mode. Guiding the bikes in the manner marina was demonstrating was fail-safe. Even if the throttle were engaged, as long as one weren't on the bike, it would just respond to glide.

Once they got the bikes down the ramp, Marina got on one and the bike rose up a few more centimeters, with it's drives sounding off at a higher pitch.
"It responds to both body motion and throttle. Throttle controls the speed and there are two means of doing so. One is foot activated and the other is by hand...here. One overrides the other. It's your choice which you prefer. I suggest trying the pedal first, like this..." Sure enough with little foot pressure the bike moved forward a few meters.

"You panic or wish to let off, simply lift off the pedal.
To turn, or to swing the bike left or right in a circle, just lean left or right, giving it some throttle at the same time. The more you lean, the tighter the circle. Up and down is controlled by the other foot pedal or you can leave the control on auto terrain." Again demonstrating on her bike, before bringing it back next to the one Mila were to try.
So she went over the controls and various optional means of operation which had several. There was no 'one way' of operation but several modes, with the easiest being shown and demonstrated.

"Come on...come on...." She pat the seat on the one for Mila.

"Hop on it and get the feel for it. as long as you don't put the hammer down...that is give it full throttle, you shouldn't feel overwhelmed.
As a matter of fact-" Marina then engaged a throttle lock..one normally set of beginners.
"There... I set it so that you shouldn't exceed 30k an hour.
So go ahead now, and give it a try. See if you can ride it around the clearing and back first. Remember, you panic or forget...let off on the throttle. The bike will come to a slow hover."

She paid close attention to her new companion's instructions on how to use the speeder bikes. She observed as she set on what was esentially the speeder's safety mode and did as instructed, hopping on to try and make it a little more comfortable for him to use. She moved the bike slowly at first then tried going faster, it was shaky and uneven at first, but after a few moments she had better control, still not adept, and pretty bad by most standards, but not to the point of being useless.

She got back, her face pale as she got there. "H-how did I do?"

Marina DeVoe

How did Mila do?

Given the fact that what Mila said was true, that she had never been on a bike before... not too good. But not terrible either.
"Uhm... well...for a beginner, you didn't do so bad. Only.." Marina looked over the wooded landscape. it were full of thickets, fallen trees and man, many obstacles.

"...only that it wouldn't be so bad if we were out in the plains or open flats.
Still, if we don't speed through the forest, I think we should get to your ship with little problem. It certainly would be better than backpacking it as we then would have to lug all the recovered equipment and materials back."

Yes, using a bike would save their strengths and backs. Besides, there were the possibility of tripping over hidden fissures and spraining an ankle. The bikes would be a safer bet if they didn't push them.
Besides, she was certain Mila would get better at piloting her bike as she gained more confidence. A speeder bike to a beginner was always a challenge to master.

be de peep beep... her droid TK then came over to them.
There were no electromagnet signals or trace waves anywhere near their vicinity. That meant there were no other modern cities or settlements.
De be be de beep... but it didn't rule out primitive intelligent lifeforms. Tk had been picking up an abundant of various life signatures all around...insects, birds, mammal and reptilian all around. But TK could not distinguish any humanoids at this time.

"Ok, thanks TK. Remain here and see what you can prioritize. Mila and I will make it to her crash site and see what we can salvage.
You ready, Mila?" Marina then asked.

She nodded, she knew exactly how terribly she did. Then she had an idea, she was an engineer, perhaps she could rig some simple towing mechanism, that way one bike could pull the other, and they'd only have to rely on her piloting skills, and at the same time save the energy of the second speeder for later trips. She waited for TK to finish speaking then began herself, voicing her idea.

"I could just attach the front of one to the other or put their backs together if you'd rather and one could tow the other, I'd just need a few vines or some cord and it's done. That way we only need one pilot, and we'd save the fuel of one for later trips and not loose the use of one. It wouldn't take long." She said with a finger to her chin. She was already thinking of how to get this done, one cord or two, long cord or short, how long or short, what material would it be and how many cords would they need depending on the material. This was what she was good at.

Marina DeVoe

"Hmm..." Marina looked over Mila's speeder and the terrain they would have to transverse. Using speeder bikes through thick heavy brush and forest was not for beginners.
It made sense as to what Mila was suggesting.
"...that isn't a bad idea. I think it will certainly work out better if we have to be making a few trips and carrying back enough salvaged parts and materials to get this ship at least space worthy." She nodded.

"Yes, we can definitely save fuel by towing. The only energy your bike will use is the retrofit that makes it hover. It's quite efficient the lift, so it won't use hardly any power like the thrusters."

be de beep beep...her droid seemed to agree, giving her the efficiency report it had calculated with Mila's idea.

"Ok Ok TK..I don't need to know the details. If it'll work, then that's what we'll do." She replied to her droid.

"Ok Mila... I know I have enough strapping cables and locks in the hold of my ship that I use to hold down cargo. You can help yourself to them and modify them as you see fit to make tow cables. " Marina then gave Mila the go-ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom