Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Community's Opinion: Major Faction Owner Elections

Fjorra the Huntress said:
If a writer puts in a lot of hard work to get a faction created and built, they shouldn't be told in three months time that they have to hand it over to someone else whom hasn't worked on it or doesn't understand the sweat and hard work put into the faction's creation.
Since you're talking about non-canon factions, Fringe is one textbook example, and I'm the faction owner. Right now, there are between five and ten people in Fringe who've worked as hard as I have, and who would do fine if I was to give them faction ownership today. Most factions would see a serious overlap between 'people who'd get voted in' and 'people who've worked their tails off.' Trust the people, yo.

Supreme Overlord Dredge said:
@[member="Tefka"] you need a beer and mountains of blow
Yes.

I'm a bit torn.

I can understand the reasoning and desire for implementing this; though I also see problems with it. How would the person or persons that create the faction in the first place feel when they get ousted after all that hard work they put into their faction. Again on the other hand I can also see how people would feel about thinking they're being left out because the faction is controlled by one group of people.

More than anything I feel that if this is implemented; I agree that it should be on a faction by faction basis. For some factions this works (like the Republic or Omega Protectorate) for others, the more military minded or factions with a singular leader shouldn't be forced into this.

Though in the end I do believe that it shouldn't be a staff implemented rule when it comes to faction leadership. It should be up to the faction itself to deal with internal changes of leadership. I have to agree that it should be left up to the faction itself; kind of like how the Old Republic came to the conclusion that it should be Bounty Hunters that regulate Bounty Hunters, it should be faction members that regulate the operation and leadership of their faction rather than staff installing a rule to force it.
Micromanagement can be a handful, yes.

Speaking OOCly just makes the mater worst then if this is to regulate OOC ownership. If this is what that is about then I have to stand against it. If a writer puts in a lot of hard work to get a faction created and built, they shouldn't be told in three months time that they have to hand it over to someone else whom hasn't worked on it or doesn't understand the sweat and hard work put into the faction's creation. I can understand doing it with established canon factions like the Republic and Sith Empire (for example) though something that is entirely created by the hard work of an individual of a small group of individuals shouldn't be taken from them.
This is a very valid point. Many here put so much into their factions. It would be dispiriting for another to come in and change everything that was nourished before hand.

My personal opinion is that major factions should never be vanity projects for an individual or a small clique of old buddies. I'm not saying they can't grow beyond that -- there are some good success stories out there -- but it doesn't make for a durable or capable faction, or an invested membership.

Tefka said:
I think the loudest naysayers here are overlooking the fact that this concept would only happen 4 times a year.
And it's not exactly going to be the 'set stone' policy. I mean, anyone paying attention to Staff decisions knows that unpopular rulings do, in fact, get rescinded. Mistakes get rectified, etc etc. We all remember the "change" to Faction Admin policy regarding Staff members~ 8D

Personally? Leading a Major, I'm always asking 'Are folks happy? Do they like the Faction, do they like the activity, do they' so on and so forth. And ultimately 'Do folks feel like they have the power to affect change if they're unhappy?' I want my members to be content, at least OOCly. And I think happy means an ability to scour bad leadership without having to wade through off-hour drama.

I mean, honestly, I've no idea what the cues are for this job. O,O If Staff's gonna throw a bone so, on the in case I may not hold out so well, the Membership has an 'Out', I'll take it.

Seroth Ur-Rahn said:
If Staff's gonna throw a bone so, on the in case I may not hold out so well, the Membership has an 'Out', I'll take it.

I'm always for putting more power in the member's hands. People saying this'll devolve to popularity votes are correct, it likely will. So be popular in your faction? Is that wrong of me to ask? People make it sound wrong, but I don't think it is.

Fjorra the Huntress

F
Tefka said:
I'm always for putting more power in the member's hands. People saying this'll devolve to popularity votes are correct, it likely will. So be popular in your faction? Is that wrong of me to ask? People make it sound wrong, but I don't think it is.
Popularity votes can cause problems. Remember, the effective owner/leader with a common goal for a faction and plans for its betterment may not always be the most popular.

Speaking OOCly just makes the mater worst then if this is to regulate OOC ownership. If this is what that is about then I have to stand against it. If a writer puts in a lot of hard work to get a faction created and built, they shouldn't be told in three months time that they have to hand it over to someone else whom hasn't worked on it or doesn't understand the sweat and hard work put into the faction's creation. I can understand doing it with established canon factions like the Republic and Sith Empire (for example) though something that is entirely created by the hard work of an individual of a small group of individuals shouldn't be taken from them.
Everybody keeps saying this!! Jus listen everybody. If you have worked hard for you faction. Then you won't be voted out because you will have tried you best to keep the peace between everyone OOC wise. You should not need to fear this. This is only being put into place for the people who have abused their powers, or are downright rude OOC like. Not for he people who have done so much work for the said faction.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
This could potentially work very smoothly, or just as well may horribly blow in our faces, it's a risk as anything dealing with groups of people can be I suppose.

My biggest concern would be OOC authority crossing into IC field to dictate choices.

I would suggest to attempt this with only a couple of factions at first, probably Republic among them, they may be experiencing a bit of turmoil right now among the Jedi ranks but the Republic leaders, as in Grand Chancellor and Senators, are supposed to be voted in and go through elections ICly. See how that goes, if it goes well then great, we can spread it to other factions, if not, less damage to manage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom