Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Bot Out Of Time

The catacombs beneath the Graywall were still largely unexplored. Cedric had come to find that his ancestors had a particular love for puzzles, and seemed to enjoy spending more time than any normal sentient being would in making sure such puzzles frustrated the ever-living-hell out of their descendants. The first few had been relatively simply, and the artifacts held within had ranged from simple clothing to sculptures crafted from long dead civilizations.

Unfortunately Cedric did not have enough time on his hands to spend plying away at the catacombs' secrets for all eternity, but his students certainly did. He'd left the puzzles of to the other Essonian Knights and their padawans, and usually only came down to either help in the efforts when he had the time, and when a chamber had been opened.

Now was one of the latter times.

This room was oddly empty. It was all silver-metal in design, and the bright pale lights that hung overhead looked so pristine as to have been installed yesterday. Tiny holes could be seen drilled into the top of the walls where they met the ceilings. It was from there that the maintenance drones came and went - they were the reason the vaults beneath the catacombs remained pristine.

A single metal case had stood in the center of the room. It had not opened for any of the knights, and they had worried that forcing it open might damage whatever was inside.

So it was that Cedric had come into the chamber alone. He was clad in the armor of his homeworld, his visage shrouded by the mask of the Archlord. The Essonians remained outside, eager to see what was within the box, but keenly aware that their presence might keep the box from actually opening. Many of the chambers and chests within the Graywall refused to open for anyone that did not have Grayson blood - they'd grown somewhat accustomed to it.

"Anyone home?" Cedric mused as he knocked on the metal case. It seemed a logical enough first step.

[member="Dak"]

As the armour-clad Jedi's hand knocks against the smooth surface of the lone pod a pulse of glowing blue circuit vectors ripple outward and across its surface, then fade away. A moment of absolute silence follows, but soon more acute senses can hear the gentle whir of well maintained electronics and machinery begin to come to life within. Near the top a small panel abruptly ejects upward, its seam having been invisible to the naked eye, revealing a domed hololense behind it. Without warning a holographic UI is projected forward between [member="Cedric Grayson"] and the container.

--------------------
\\:>AA2fR311kfOFAp32121iDWAI23LjWIAVnia32

Bio-metric signature accepted
Initiating boot procedures...

12%...
26%...
41%...
70%...
93%...

Boot procedures successful
--------------------

The circuit vectors returned along the entirety of the pod and the sound of activity within comes easilyy apparent to any nearby.

--------------------
Activating core systems...

Standby...
Core systems activated
21584 errors detected
Scanning errors...
No fatal errors detected
Continuing start-up
Activating primary components...
Standby...
Primary components activated
No errors detected
Activating auxiliary components...
Standby...
Auxiliary components components activated
14 errors detected
Scanning errors...
No fatal errors detected
Continuing start-up
Start-up complete
--------------------

As the start-up process finishes the information that had been displayed vanishes, leaving only a blank sheet of blue light suspended in the air. The buzz coming from inside slows to a stop, surrounding the Jedi once more in dead silence. Then, after a brief pause, more information is presented.

--------------------
Calculating current year...

Standby...
The current years is: 851 ABY
It has been 299744 days since last diagnostic check
Running diagnostics...
26%...
59%...
81%...

Diagnostics complete
>MODEL:........DAC-1
>DESIGNATION:..DAC-1.P028..'DAK'
>CLASS:........NOT..LISTED

>
>SIGNIFICANT..CORRUPTION..OF..MEMORY..BANKS..DETECTED

Diagnostic results: Acceptable
Releasing locks
--------------------

With little delay the sharp hiss of a pressure seal breaking erupts from the silver unit, echoing dramatically throughout the empty room. The front panel breaks in a star-like manner, with one triangular plate shifting upwards, two sliding to either side and the last two fanning out at the bottom. For the first time in nearly a century the contents are exposed to air of the outside world. Inside, a peculiar droid stands nestled amidst plugs and black foam-like cushioning. Red light flickers from it's photo-receptors as the separation from the pod is finalized. Taking a moment to adjust, the two shining spheres begin to shift within their ocular sockets to assess the surroundings, before resting on the replicated face of the Arch-Prince.

"Oh, hellooOO-" Dak's voice is thrown into an uncontrolled modulation reminiscent of that of the Techno Union, prompting him to bring his right hand to his chest in surprise; an oddly organic reaction. He pauses, glancing down to his feet as if to compose himself "I do apologize, Madame Delara, my diagnostics suggest it has been a considerable amount of time since we last spoke." The droid pulls his legs out from where they had been tightly kept and takes his first few steps out into the catacombs, stepping to the left of Cedric "Correction: it is unlikely that Madame Delara has survived such an extended period." The droid appears to become distracted by something, despite standing completely still "Interesting. My systems confirm that you are a male of House Grayson, though these bio-metrics are not recognized. I'm afraid I am at a loss, Lord Grayson."

Initially Cedric had set a hand on his lightsaber. The secrets of the Graywall had not always been benevolent in nature: many of the ancient artifacts sealed within the catacombs were host to captured Sith weapons and other tools of destruction. The belief that all that had been left by his ancestors was benevolent had resulted in a soldier losing one of his arms to a reawakened Sithspawn - Cedric was intent on not repeating that disastrous event. The masked Jedi watched as the information flowed over the surface of the metal case, and he found his nerves reaching a critical point of focus as the case popped open.

Cedric was ready to cleave the droid in half the moment he caught sight of it. It was only the automaton's rather shrill voice that gave Cedric pause, and made him slowly lower the unlit lightsaber back down to his side.

"Hello to you too," Cedric replied, bewildered, "Madame Delara? I'm afraid you're correct - she died several hundred years ago during the last Jedi Purge." Cedric explained as the droid confirmed his heritage. He'd never heard anything about an ancient droid having served, but then many of the old records had been lost to time, and droids were rarely of enough importance to be notable.

Still, this one seemed of a different caliber than the usual mindless automatons of the modern age.

"I'm Cedric. You've been down here for a very long time my friend," the Jedi Master drew back his cowl, and popped the seals of his mask. The helm came away with little effort, revealing a young if scarred face. He didn't look much different than his ancestors; he bore the jet black hair and the piercing blue eyes of the Graysons proudly. The Jedi's hair was buzzed to the scalp, and the look in his eyes implied an experience beyond what his age would suggest.

"What do I call you?"

[member="Dak"]

"Jedi Purge?" the droid's head swivels to look at Cedric, then looks off to scan the empty room the two were standing in "how unfortunate." Not surprisingly, the droid's tone failed to match the implied sincerity. His receptors shift and stare around the relatively featureless space surrounding them with far more scrutiny than one should need; he was aware he had likely been here before, but had no recollection of it. So much time had passed and it appeared he had awoke with substantial corruption -- the produce of two extended bouts of de-activation.

"If my records are assumed to be accurate it has been approximately 299,744 days," Dak looks down at his hands, wiggling his fingers and noting an exceptionally small latency in the movements "though I would suspect a margin of error as I appear to be experiencing some technical difficulties." At that he pulls his attention away from himself and directs it back to [member="Cedric Grayson"], turning his body to face the Essonian. "Forgive my rudeness, Master Cedric. I am DAC-1.P028," he awkwardly extends a stiff hand as an attempt at a greeting "though, for whatever reason, your predecessors preferred to call me Dak."

Cedric had met a number of droids in his relatively short life, and a small handful of those had been along the lines of sentience. The Jedi had come to respect their form of life as he respected any alien, and such biases as to the slavery of sentient droids were lost to him. It was fortunate that he'd undergone such experiences - otherwise he might have had trouble dealing with Dak.

"My family's always been sentimental. If they gave you a name, it's probably because they considered you more important than any old piece of hardware." Cedric mused as he examined the droid, though it was difficult to tell where he was looking given his mask and cowl. "I've heard of the HK series, ran into a few of the 51's during my time with the Galactic Alliance, but never any like yourself."

Beneath the mask, Cedric's brow lofted curiously. "Can you tell me what your functions are Dak? What duties you performed for my ancestors?" Cedric had a guess, but he wanted to see if his suspicions were true before judging the situation.

[member="Dak"]

The droid scours his memories but finds only fragments of his past; vague concepts, random locations and names, and seemingly irrelevant information. The chronology and accuracy of which questionable. "I am afraid the finer details may be lost to both of us, Master Cedric," there is a pause following these words, adding a suggestion of lament "however, I am aware that I served your predecessors as a diplomatic aid and personal combat companion. I am equipped with many state-of-the-art protocol functions as well as modified instances of the HK-51's renowned combat prowess to meet all of your security needs."

At his final words he breaks his gaze from [member="Cedric Grayson"], staring aimlessly as he reassesses what he had said. After a short pause he raises a finger "Correction: I am equipped with significantly outdated protocol functions and am unfamiliar with the current renown of the HK-51 model."

The droid had no memory. Cedric found that intriguing - he'd always had love for a good mystery - and it was something the two of them were likely going to need to deal with. The Jedi Master knew woefully little about many of his ancestors, and Dak might well be the key to unlocking their secrets. Not only was it simple curiosity, but practicality; the Graysons had been serving the Jedi Oorder for several thousand years, and the artifacts they left behind were already invaluable in the conflict with the forces of the dark side.

Cedric snorted, "Well, you made a good guess. The HK-51's are still in use today, if you can believe that. Gives me some hope for ya," the Essonian Knight's voice was honeyed with amusement. "If you served my ancestors, then you are welcome to serve me, though I must ask what you want to do for yourself. You seem to have a level of sentience beyond that of most droids, which requires me to treat you as an equal: that being said, what path do you wish to take Dak? I won't bind you to my service should you wish to walk your own way."

That much was truth. Cedric had long since given up his selfish need to grow his own base of power. He'd justified it by thinking that all his actions had been in the right, but in binding other to his will to do good, he denied them the right to make their own choices. He wouldn't do that with Dak.

[member="Dak"]

The news of HK-51s still being in service caught the prototype off guard. "Have your kind already reached your technological potential in droid development?" he questions "most unfortunate. I suspected organic beings would at least be capable of moderate progression from such designs. Though it would seem this particular shortcoming has worked in my favour." The Knight's proposition that followed however, confused him.

Concepts like 'wishes' or 'desires' were abstract to him. Perhaps he did have some form of higher sentience, but it was certainly not in a way an organic being could relate to. What would he choose to do? This did not make sense to him. "My purpose has been to serve the members of House Grayson for many generations and I have done so with considerable success," his voice comes to a halt "disregarding their near extermination, of course. With you remaining it would only be logical that I continue to do so."

The droid's rather odd voice was something Cedric found amusing, though he did well not to let that amusement show. "Not quite, we've just not stopped killing one another since you were put into hibernation. Much of the galaxy's more modern technology is far more outrageous than anything of latter eras - the HK's are still in use because they were made exceptionally effectively." The Jedi explained.

"Just a minor hiccup," Cedric replied with light sarcasm. He wasn't sure if Dak would understand the concept. "Well, if that is your choice then I welcome your company. The force knows that the galaxy you've awoken into is even bloodier than the one you left behind, if you can believe that." Cedric's brow furrowed - if the droid didn't remember his past, he probably didn't recall the war that came with it.

"We're at the Graywall on the world of Ruusan, which is currently under the protection of a group called the Silver Jedi. Are you able to recall anything about this place, or was it lost too?"

[member="Dak"]

Dak had no choice but to accept the Jedi's word that the galaxy had changed considerably. Nearly a thousand years had passed since he last saw it, so it made sense that things would be different. At these thoughts pieces of memories are called upon; flashes of different battlefields over the ages and the blurred faces of Cedric's ancestors at his side. Things had been bloody then, that he definitely remembered. Perhaps bloodier than the young Essonian Knight knew.

"Of course I remember the Greywall, Master Cedric,"
he nods "many splintered memories within its halls remain. While I may no longer be able to direct you through it's corridors, the knowledge of it's significance is not lost to me. Though," the droid raises his right hand to his chin and looks to ceiling beyond [member="Cedric Grayson"], as if to mimic the human action of pondering a thought "I do not recall these Silver Jedi you speak of."

It always amused Cedric when droid's picked up the traits of their master species. It tended to come about after around a year or so of no memory wipes, but if the wipes continued to be held off, the droid would eventually mimic sentience in its entirety. Cedric had seen the process undergone on multiple occasions - he could only guess how long it had been since Dak had submitted himself to a memory wipe. The Jedi Master was glad of that though: it would have been a shame to lose everything Dak had accumulated over the past several thousand years, even if it was all still locked away for the time being.

"I'm glad you can recall that much," Cedric replied with legitimate relief, "The Silver Jedi are a splinter faction from the old Jedi Order. They're interesting folks, but I don't really agree with their doctrines." The Jedi shook his head as he gestured all around. "Test those joints of yours out. Let's see if you can walk out of here on your own accord, or if I'm going to have to carry you."

A number of other tests were already forming in the back of Cedric's mind.

[member="Dak"]

The droid stared down at [member="Cedric Grayson"]. He was only three inches taller than the Essonian, but still his head had to tilt slightly to maintain a centralized view. Test his limbs? Humans were strange. "Detailed diagnostic results have already indicated all problems in my function, Master Cedric," the droid couldn't imagine how difficult it must be for a biological being to monitor their own well being when they relied on such primitive methods "there appears to have been no damage to my hardware while within the pod, and aside from a few minor errors my processors and neuro-programs are already working to correct latency by re-optimizing my software."

There was nothing quite like a droid to make you feel like an idiot, The masked Jedi remained silent for a moment, and just gave Dak a brief nod. "Of course. It was a metaphor," he covered for what was very much not a metaphor. Droids could have creaky limbs, couldn't they?

Shrugging, Cedric turned about and gestured for the droid to follow. The hall beyond stretched farther than the human eye could truly comprehend. It branched off into multiple different paths at different intervals, each leading to some deep unexplored section of the catacombs. The air itself was cold and damp; a number of pale ceiling luminaries flooded the caverns in white light.

"The New Republic is the current successor state to the Old Republic, if it wasn't obvious in the name. I stand with them. The Sith Empire has risen again in their old stomping grounds, the Mandalorians have done much the same, and another imperial group called the First Order rules the far east." He explained as they walked. They would pass researchers and Jedi students that would give Dak curious looks, but were too enthralled in their work to actually speak to the droid.

"The Jedi Order is shattered. There are a few dozen of us left, and the Silver Jedi are looking to be on the chopping block next.

[member="Dak"]

Dak follows a step behind [member="Cedric Grayson"], allowing the Jedi to guide him as he presses forward through the derelict halls. An old republic becoming new; this made sense to him. The news of the Sith rising once again also failed to come as a surprise. It seemed like each time he awoke, regardless of the time that had passed, a new version of their religion had risen to power and brought with it carnage to the galaxy -- history repeats itself, so they say. He recalled the Mandalorians of the past as well, but any existence of an older First Order eluded him.

"It is an unlucky outcome, Master Cedric. I do recall enjoying my time with Madame Delara"
he answers after allowing a few seconds to process the information "though this progression makes sense. If memory serves -- which it may not -- there had been a steady decline in the presence and power of the Jedi Order each time I've been reactivated." The droid nods at his assessment, falling silent for another moment. From what little he remembered the Jedi had been abundant during the time of the Great Galactic War and still maintained large numbers during the New Sith Wars, but before his most recent deactivation the Order was notably diminished. He turns to look at the masked man as they walk "Perhaps this is, as your kind say, 'their fate'?"

A part of Cedric was reflexively defensive, and he quickly forced that part of himself to the back of his mind. It was natural for a being to wish to defend that which they had dedicated their entire lives to, but Dak was not offering an attack so much as an observation. A criticism, and one Cedric would be unwise to ignore lest he fall to the flaws of those who had held his position in the past.

"We have been on the decline," Cedric agreed quietly as they drew further upward toward the surface. The walk was long and straight, allowing the Jedi Master to put all his thought into the discussion. "But I don't think it's our fate. I don't think fate is ever fully decided - I believe the Force guides us to possibilities, and it is up to us to decide which possible road to take. I think most of my predecessors have just been making the right decisions. We get too complacent when we think the Sith have been defeated. When we secure the New Republic's future, we'll need to make sure that we end their threat forever."

How to actually go about doing that was still beyond Cedric, but then they were still taking their first steps.

[member="Dak"]

Talk of 'the Force' was near impossible for the machine to comprehend. Some form of mystical power guiding the Galaxy was not logical. The droid was not ignorant to the supernatural feats of the Jedi he had witnesses, of course, but accepting that there was a grand plan for existence as a whole was beyond him. Even still, the point the Jedi was attempting to make did not go completely over his head. "It is unlikely that you are the first to come to this conclusion," Dak continues to examine his surroundings, completely unaware of where [member="Cedric Grayson"] was directing him "I suspect they believed the threat was terminated permanently as well."

Cedric found himself huffing a quiet laugh. Dak was right, of course. The Jedi Order had thought their Sith enemy to be eternally vanquished several times in their vast history, and each period of peace that had followed always temporary. The Jedi Master suspected that such a cycle was unbreakable as all life was vulnerable to corruption, but decided not to raise that point. He didn't feel like being pessimistic today.

"You're pretty right on that," Cedric said with no amount of pleasure, "We tend to get complacent when we think the threat is extinguished. I have other plans, if I am ever in a position to see them enacted."

The catacombs opened to a massive courtyard of green grass and high stone walls. It was empty for now, the students having finished their morning rituals an hour ago. The Jedi halted and turned to face Dak.

"What are your combat functions?" He asked plainly, and gestured toward a series of metallic target drones standing inert at the end of the yard. "Feel free to share."

[member="Dak"]

Cedric found himself huffing a quiet laugh. Dak was right, of course. The Jedi Order had thought their Sith enemy to be eternally vanquished several times in their vast history, and each period of peace that had followed always temporary. The Jedi Master suspected that such a cycle was unbreakable as all life was vulnerable to corruption, but decided not to raise that point. He didn't feel like being pessimistic today.

"You're pretty right on that," Cedric said with no amount of pleasure, "We tend to get complacent when we think the threat is extinguished. I have other plans, if I am ever in a position to see them enacted."

The catacombs opened to a massive courtyard of green grass and high stone walls. It was empty for now, the students having finished their morning rituals an hour ago. The Jedi halted and turned to face Dak.

"What are your combat functions?" He asked plainly, and gestured toward a series of metallic target drones standing inert at the end of the yard. "Feel free to share."

[member="Dak"]

Even though the droid had not seen the sun or the outside world in such a long time, he doesn't seem to have any outward reaction aside from glancing at the surroundings as the two exit the catacombs and enter the courtyard. When the Jedi abruptly stops, Dak's reaction time is only a fraction of a second off with his own stop.

At [member="Cedric Grayson"]'s question the automaton stares off at the distant target drones. "I am programmed with security functionality and specialize in combat at medium to long ranges,"
his head turns back to Grayson "though I do possess functional understanding of small arms and melee techniques if necessary. I suspect this is remnant code that Czerka Corporation had not fully removed when re-purposing the HK-51 model for these prototypes."

Dak then looks down at his body, holding his arms out slightly while checking either side of himself "As for a demonstration, Master Cedric, I am intended to be equipped with a CA-HK Mk. III Disruptor Rifle. It appears it was not stored with me in my containment pod."

"You'll complement me well then. I tend to keep things close when talking can't resolve a problem," Cedric said plainly. Other Jedi had reservations about violence, but Cedric had made peace with his talent for warfare. So long as he honed it to serve only as a weapon of the light, it would not taint his soul. "I don't recognize the rifle though. I can have some of my techs look into it."

Finding such a weapon would likely prove difficult - procuring ancient tools of war often were - but it was something they could accomplish. In the meantime, Dak would have to make due with weapons of the modern age.

Or we'll just modify his hardware to make it compatible with modern rifles.

It'd certainly be easier.

"I suppose there's two ways to go about it," Cedric mused out loud, "We can either find a rifle that fits your current functionality, or we upgrade you to a more modern design. The latter would likely be easier and probably make you more dangerous, but I can understand wanting a weapon your familiar with. The choice is yours."

[member="Dak"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom